Jump to content



Sign in to follow this  
Tortelvis

Super Dirt Week ideas

Recommended Posts

Thought would be fun to throw around ideas about changes to SDW and satellite shows. I had mentioned the WOO Late Models and tend to agree might be pricey to get them there and car counts might be low. So I will start off with an idea.

Tuesday:  Hurricane 100 and ESS  and Sportsman. Hard to get rid of the hurricane  Tradition  This will be the only Satelite race  

Wednesday:  Practice etc.. during day for 3 divisions  Wednesday night Crate Late Models and IMCA Mods  Not really sure about IMCA kids car counts but doesn't Fulton have crate LM?  Remember the Go Nuclear LM?  Make it a $10 tix  

Thursday night Would be the Friday nights program.

Friday:  Salute to troops 150 and Sportsman race  NIGHT RACE!

Saturday:  200 and  Pro stocks  NIGHT RACE!

Sunday: Day time makeups if necessary  

I'm sure im missing some details with qualifying, etc...     Lower car counts at satellite shows and bringing something to Oswego tears different would be cool  I know space issue Just having fun thinking about what might work 

 

 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with all racing at Oswego being scheduled  for nights and for splitting the pro-stocks and sportsmen up to two different nights. I don't think you can introduce more classes at Oswego -they don't have enough room for what they have now. Another idea would be to get the sportsman & pro stocks done early so they could get off the property and open up some more room for the modifieds & parking etc. The satellite shows are dying- the purse for 100 laps for 358's is inadequate. Having one at Brewerton and maybe one at Weedsport might work if it was before modifieds were tied up in the quagmire at Oswego. Just looked up quagmire and found a second definition -an awkward, complex & hazardous situation- fits Oswego perfectly. 

All the people involved with the event have done an incredible job trying to make Oswego work but in the end they are always trying to fit 10 pounds in a 5 pound bag and as a result it isn't pretty. I stayed home with my armband on & watched Saturday and Sunday on Flo- far more enjoyable- announcers and camera people do a great job and I can hear what is being said which I can't do when I am there. Good luck with whatever is decided going forward- I will continue to support the event(s).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are the satellite shows really dying? Yes car counts were down for small blocks but sportsman counts seemed decent & the fan count @ Weedsport & Brewerton looked pretty good. Unless tracks are loosing money on them which really doesn't look like they are. I don’t see anything changing with the satellite races for years to come.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My idea would be move this show somewhere they can actually do track prep, camping isn’t in a mud bog, and figure out the cautions taking 5 minutes each. The racing wasn’t that good all week, if its better than the mile it’s not by much. 

We paid for 3 camp sites and had to fit into 2 because there weren’t 3 dry enough to pull into. We had mud and ruts all over our sites all weekend. 

Imagine going to the world 100, Knoxville nationals, world finals, ext and the surface was the same as oswego all week...people wouldn’t come back...drivers wouldn’t come back, yet we just say it’s better than Syracuse and it’s supposed to be acceptable. 

The satellite shows are the only good racing all week I wouldn’t mess with them. 

I hate to post negative stuff and racing but I have been to a lot of big races across the country and I spent a fortune last week for some of the worst camping and racing I’ve ever seen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, montess said:

Are the satellite shows really dying? Yes car counts were down for small blocks but sportsman counts seemed decent & the fan count @ Weedsport & Brewerton looked pretty good. Unless tracks are loosing money on them which really doesn't look like they are. I don’t see anything changing with the satellite races for years to come.  

So we dont have to day race at Oswego and run a 150 lap and 200 lap freight train. Saturday at night was awesome

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought the move to Oswego would give them the opportunity to move it to the big race to Saturday night. I think yesterday’s race is good evidence that you’re more likely to see a good race at night than during the day at Oswego or any other “dirt” track.

With a ton of people taking the week off, having the satellite shows on Monday and Tuesday wouldn’t be a big risk to the promoters. And now that you’ve taken the WoO sprint Saturday show away, is there a huge need for any satellite shows later in the week anyway?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The temperatures were pretty moderate this weekend but having endured Arctic like conditions  at SDW at the Mile during the day, the prospects of Oswego at night is one that this Jersey boy would not relish. Can’t imagine how cold sitting in the Lakeview grandstands would be with the wind off the lake.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, John Welch said:

The satellite shows are dying- the purse for 100 laps for 358's is inadequate. Having one at Brewerton and maybe one at Weedsport might work if it was before modifieds were tied up in the quagmire at Oswego. 

So the solution to the Satellite shows is to remove the one show that got the most cars (Utica Rome) and replace it with Brewerton.  Wonder how the promoters at Utica would feel about that solution. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, B-Train said:

The temperatures were pretty moderate this weekend but having endured Arctic like conditions  at SDW at the Mile during the day, the prospects of Oswego at night is one that this Jersey boy would not relish. Can’t imagine how cold sitting in the Lakeview grandstands would be with the wind off the lake.  

Oswego used to have a tour type modified race on Saturday night during SDW, i went with my girlfriend now wife and Francis Hardner in 1984. Richie Evans and Jimmy Spencer put on a hell of a show. I still have the Richie Evans t - shirt i bought that night.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with most on here, they need to have the racing in the evening and start Thursday night with Sunday as a rain date. Satellite shows are dying, Utica Rome had a very good car count but no fans. Will Brewerton and Weedsport draw decent fan support next year with everyone knowing what was there modified wise this year and likely less next year. With the ability to run your Saturday night car at Oswego, not many are willing to risk damaging it for 100 lap satellite shows paying piss poor money. I think there still is a place for satellite shows just maybe adjust what is running, maybe open 360 sprints, sportsmen etc. The reality is day racing sucks the majority of the time, u get the odd decent race but as a whole they mostly turn into freight train races. Personally I like the racing at Oswego, I hope it stays there for a very long time. They need to figure out the camping lot drainage , etc. so that is not always a mud bog. All in all it was a great week

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's fun to talk about what could make SDW better.....but what are the chances that they will really look into making changes, most importantly doing Thursday, Friday,and Saturday night?   I'm just a fan. Who has the pull to really have this looked at and considered?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

(1) Without Oswego, there is no Super Dirt week. (2) Racing the 200 at night, has it's own set of problems. (like freezing your a$$ off) (3) Dirtcar made big dollars on Sunday, and money always win$.:victory:.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, russell j said:

(1) Without Oswego, there is no Super Dirt week. (2) Racing the 200 at night, has it's own set of problems. (like freezing your a$$ off) (3) Dirtcar made big dollars on Sunday, and money always win$.:victory:.

It didn’t stop them from running until 1:30am Friday night 🤷‍♂️

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why do fans on an internet board want to cancel the satellite events? If you dont want to go dont go. If those tracks promoters are happy with their 'profit' for the night why the hell would 'fans' say cancel them??? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe “night”  isn’t the right time, but after the sun starts to go down after some track prep. Start the pro stock race around 3 and the mod feature around 5. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Run qualifiers on days when there are no features, except races that can be run after features..
  • Put the Sportsman or the Pro Stocks coupled with the 358 feature instead of both on Sunday.
  • Run the "under card" for the 358's and the modified races at 2 o'clock on their respective days
  • Do all of the ceremonies, (such as the anthems and the autograph sessions),  while the track gets groomed
  • Run the main events after the track is re-worked
  • Put as much time and money into re-inventing and "cheating" at track prep as some of the owners put into their cars
  • Quit this bullshit of extra caution laps. 1 lap for flat tires. The lap after the track is cleared for other incidents.
  • Restrict the number of carts and ATV's and limit where and when they can be used. 
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, macho said:

Why do fans on an internet board want to cancel the satellite events? If you dont want to go dont go. If those tracks promoters are happy with their 'profit' for the night why the hell would 'fans' say cancel them??? 

You do realize that these people exist off of the internet as well?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

People talk about cold weather being an issue running Oswego at night, but they run satellite shows at night. I mentioned in my original post about maybe having less satellite shows. That was just a thought. Personally if I was there for the week I would hit them all. If track owners can make $ off these shows 👍👍. Just seems like less interest in satellite shows by drivers, not the fans. I don't have the answers. Many of you have much more knowledge and time in than I do, so here's another question.  I mentioned how it would be cool to have a different race at Oswego during the week at night. The ones I mentioned were crate Late Models and IMCA mods.  Could they finish the 3 divisions whatever they are doing that particular day, and put the Late Models and IMCA mods in the infield after they finish?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They need to do two things...

1) Pave the pits. DIRT needs to get with the Torrese boys and work it out. Move the go-kart track and get everyone up top and dry, level ground. I know they're trying and they have limited time to do it, but they need to help the crews out a little. 

1A) Get the goddamn spectators OUT of the pits. There are too many ATV's, carts and random drunks milling around on the teams as it is without adding the whole half world to it, most who have no idea what's it like in the pits. They're in the way and it's needlessly dangerous.

2) Build individual 12'x50' pads in the green lot. I know people will be mad the can't camp sideways, etc but you have to give to get. If you're tired of burying your 60k truck to the axles, then you'll put it on the pad. I'm not saying pavement or concrete, just take a dozer, plow it off level, dump rock and roll that sucker as hard as the race track was.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You are correct about the spectators in pits. I was one of them, although I was not 😵.  I felt bad for the long haired security guy who looked like he might have had a stint in the WWF as a heel   Lol. He was doing his best to direct traffic and keep people from getting ran over, but many people either had there heads up their asses or their heads in their phones.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, westracing01 said:

They need to do two things...

1) Pave the pits. DIRT needs to get with the Torrese boys and work it out. Move the go-kart track and get everyone up top and dry, level ground. I know they're trying and they have limited time to do it, but they need to help the crews out a little. 

1A) Get the goddamn spectators OUT of the pits. There are too many ATV's, carts and random drunks milling around on the teams as it is without adding the whole half world to it, most who have no idea what's it like in the pits. They're in the way and it's needlessly dangerous.

2) Build individual 12'x50' pads in the green lot. I know people will be mad the can't camp sideways, etc but you have to give to get. If you're tired of burying your 60k truck to the axles, then you'll put it on the pad. I'm not saying pavement or concrete, just take a dozer, plow it off level, dump rock and roll that sucker as hard as the race track was.

Whole heartedly agree with getting the spectators out of the pits. I am a goddam spectator,but been around the pits for 40 or so years. The people milling around Saturday acted clueless that they were in a live & active work area. How no one got run over is beyond me. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
















×