Sign in to follow this  
FightForTheRail

What is the second most famous dirt Modified race of all time?

26 minutes ago, con7 said:

Another famous mod race that people remember, not for the racing but for the controversy was the 1983 Nazareth race that competed with 1983 Super Dirt Week.

Kind of like how older sprint car fans remember the USA group that competed with the WoO in 1989.

I did list that one in my original post. 😀

2 hours ago, con7 said:

Another famous mod race that people remember, not for the racing but for the controversy was the 1983 Nazareth race that competed with 1983 Super Dirt Week.

Kind of like how older sprint car fans remember the USA group that competed with the WoO in 1989.

In that vein, the first (I think) USNA race, held at Syracuse. Huge purse, reports were there were about 150 people in the stands.

All of a sudden the guys that were going to "replace DIRT" looked like they were in way over their heads and it seemed like it killed all the momentum they'd worked to build up as soon as they got started.

2 hours ago, BillSmith said:

In that vein, the first (I think) USNA race, held at Syracuse. Huge purse, reports were there were about 150 people in the stands.

All of a sudden the guys that were going to "replace DIRT" looked like they were in way over their heads and it seemed like it killed all the momentum they'd worked to build up as soon as they got started.

We went to the Show on Saturday (it rained out if I recall and ran it on Sunday) and were amazed by how few people were there. AARN later quoted the attendance at 173.

Later in the year they ran a race at Susquehanna which was better attended but some of the USNA I observed seemed pretty dejected. I think they realized Donnelly when trying to sell them DIRT motorsports had completely oversold the popularity of the sport.

1 hour ago, con7 said:

We went to the Show on Saturday (it rained out if I recall and ran it on Sunday) and were amazed by how few people were there. AARN later quoted the attendance at 173.

Later in the year they ran a race at Susquehanna which was better attended but some of the USNA I observed seemed pretty dejected. I think they realized Donnelly when trying to sell them DIRT motorsports had completely oversold the popularity of the sport.

Glenn? Exaggerate? But I thought NY state was going to pay for CNYRP? :)

In all fairness though, this was at the end of the NASCAR powercurve of growth, just before the FOX TV deal. And there was a real vacuum after ESPN got rid of Thursday Night Thunder and we were in the middle of the IRL/CART split, so open wheel racing was struggling to find its place. Everybody was waiting to see what the next big thing would be.

DIRT was still dominant  here in the Northeast and while it wasn't the go-go-go 80s, the organization had a solid product and was prettymuch the only show in town in this area. Glenn also had his TV production team and live broadcasts. It was a well-established and popular brand., the organization had been successful and stable for a long time -- this was while the Outlaws couldn't keep a TV package together.

Glenn was probably selling his vision of where he could see DIRT going ... and he had been very successful building DIRT to where it was at the time.

1 hour ago, BillSmith said:

Glenn? Exaggerate? But I thought NY state was going to pay for CNYRP? :)

In all fairness though, this was at the end of the NASCAR powercurve of growth, just before the FOX TV deal. And there was a real vacuum after ESPN got rid of Thursday Night Thunder and we were in the middle of the IRL/CART split, so open wheel racing was struggling to find its place. Everybody was waiting to see what the next big thing would be.

DIRT was still dominant  here in the Northeast and while it wasn't the go-go-go 80s, the organization had a solid product and was prettymuch the only show in town in this area. Glenn also had his TV production team and live broadcasts. It was a well-established and popular brand., the organization had been successful and stable for a long time -- this was while the Outlaws couldn't keep a TV package together.

Glenn was probably selling his vision of where he could see DIRT going ... and he had been very successful building DIRT to where it was at the time.

I read an article that articulated the vision of the USNA folks. Glenn told them when he was trying to sell dirt that tens of thousands of people went to his races weekly and USNA thought that if they could get a small percentage of that number to go to their Saturday races (say 5-10k), they’d make a mint.

Of course Glenn totally oversold the interest in his weekly product.

Im not trying to disparage what Glenn did for Dirt mods, his tv package was really never equaled by a regional series and DirtVision has only now got to a level of professionalism that Donnelly reached in the 90s. But the guy could sell ice to Eskimos and the USNA deal is an example of that. 

56 minutes ago, con7 said:

I read an article that articulated the vision of the USNA folks. Glenn told them when he was trying to sell dirt that tens of thousands of people went to his races weekly and USNA thought that if they could get a small percentage of that number to go to their Saturday races (say 5-10k), they’d make a mint.

Of course Glenn totally oversold the interest in his weekly product.

Im not trying to disparage what Glenn did for Dirt mods, his tv package was really never equaled by a regional series and DirtVision has only now got to a level of professionalism that Donnelly reached in the 90s. But the guy could sell ice to Eskimos and the USNA deal is an example of that. 

Actually, Glenn really was getting tens of thousands every week ... add up the total attendance of the 20 or so member tracks and you are probably at 30-40,000 weekly. It just sounds a lot more impressive that way than "20 member tracks that draw 1-2,000 people every week."

Times a 20 week season, plus the big specials and SuperDIRT week, add in pit attendance and you can easily argue that DIRT drew a million paid admissions a season. Or a 15-20 million dollar gross annual business. THAT is probably how he sold it.