Jump to content



Sign in to follow this  
FightForTheRail

What is the second most famous dirt Modified race of all time?

Recommended Posts

Great list. 

I was a little kid then and I’m lucky to have gone to 4 of the races you listed. 1985 ES 200 was amazing, Jack from a provisional to take the win.

Id probably say 1989 SDW would win out given the prestige of the race, the controversy of Danny and Cozze wrecking and the last to first Alan storyline. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, con7 said:

Great list. 

I was a little kid then and I’m lucky to have gone to 4 of the races you listed. 1985 ES 200 was amazing, Jack from a provisional to take the win.

Id probably say 1989 SDW would win out given the prestige of the race, the controversy of Danny and Cozze wrecking and the last to first Alan storyline. 

I would go with the 1989 SDW race.

I am probably biased because Alan was my favorite driver at the time and still is.

But several other things enter my mind.

First, even though it was not 300 miles, (300k I believe). The race was called the MIller 300 at the time. Which seemed to me to be a big deal sponsorship wise..   The whole deal back then was bigger and better.   Mille High Life, Ground Round , A plus , Universal Joint Sales.  etc. Probably missing a few.  But The WoO was still there on Sat.  also super modifieds on dirt(universal joint)

Secondly, a big deal was made of Alan not finishing in a dead heat to get in.  But who does not think he would of been added in anyway??

Thirdly , the finish with Danny and Cozze.  Then Blaney in the Billy Taylor car with a flat left front

More,  remember TNN and American Sports Cavalcade?  The race was replayed several times.  I still have the VCR tape.

And then how about the  TV shot and interview at the end with Alan sitting in the brand new truck and trailer that was awarded to him in addition to the $50,000.   Several years later I believe he was still using the trailer.

My vote has to go to this one^^

 

The reason I mentioned the last race on dirt at Flemington. The Sammy Shine 200.  Just because that was the last one there and the odds on favorite had to be Pauch SR.   Every time Danny tried to get around him on the outside though, sparks would fly.  The majority of those sparks off the outside rail. 😆.  Good times,    Still have one of those little jars of dirt they were selling

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DaRooster said:

"I'm just happy to be alive!"  -  Brett Hearn when asked if he was happy finishing third.

2nd but close enough, lol..... should have ran friesen a little harder and probably would have won

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, leroy said:

I would go with the 1989 SDW race.

I am probably biased because Alan was my favorite driver at the time and still is.

But several other things enter my mind.

First, even though it was not 300 miles, (300k I believe). The race was called the MIller 300 at the time. Which seemed to me to be a big deal sponsorship wise..   The whole deal back then was bigger and better.   Mille High Life, Ground Round , A plus , Universal Joint Sales.  etc. Probably missing a few.  But The WoO was still there on Sat.  also super modifieds on dirt(universal joint)

Secondly, a big deal was made of Alan not finishing in a dead heat to get in.  But who does not think he would of been added in anyway??

Thirdly , the finish with Danny and Cozze.  Then Blaney in the Billy Taylor car with a flat left front

More,  remember TNN and American Sports Cavalcade?  The race was replayed several times.  I still have the VCR tape.

And then how about the  TV shot and interview at the end with Alan sitting in the brand new truck and trailer that was awarded to him in addition to the $50,000.   Several years later I believe he was still using the trailer.

My vote has to go to this one^^

 

The reason I mentioned the last race on dirt at Flemington. The Sammy Shine 200.  Just because that was the last one there and the odds on favorite had to be Pauch SR.   Every time Danny tried to get around him on the outside though, sparks would fly.  The majority of those sparks off the outside rail. 😆.  Good times,    Still have one of those little jars of dirt they were selling

 

That is another worthy race to mention. Pauch did make the pass on Danny for the lead with a couple to go, but had to go back to second due to a caution.

I think a lot was made of the Alan Johnson dead heat that wasn't was because it is shady to tell people that there was a dead heat when the entire grandstands saw that it really wasn't. Who are you going to believe, DIRT or your lying eyes? LOL There would have been less backlash if DIRT would have just added Alan as a past winner instead of making up the phony dead heat story.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Mike Coleates said:

7/2/1998. I’ve about worn out the vhs. 

I believe it's on youtube under Rolling Wheels SDS 100 98' 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fred Rahmer winning the National Open at Williams Grove. It was his last win before he retired.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My two favorite races were when I was campaigning a Nascar modified in 1970. Two dead heats involving the same driver.....Don Wayman......The first one was with David Lape in the Camaro bodied #22 & the one a couple of weeks later was against Pete Corey in the #93....Pete came on like gangbusters on the last lap & ended up a dead heat.....Don was driving Russ Betz's #59 both races

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jay Hickman said:

Fred Rahmer winning the National Open at Williams Grove. It was his last win before he retired.

Memorable but not a dirt Modified race.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, con7 said:

Memorable but not a dirt Modified race.

Sorry about that. How 'bout The Canadian Blast, Davey Moore beat Will Cagle at Weedsport for a Syracuse qualifier. I think it was 1976? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2002 Syracuse 200 won be Vic Coffey, came from 5th place I believe to win leaving empty gas tanks all over the mile. Everyone in the stands just stood there with their mouths open in disbelief watching cars coast to the finish line some even being pushed by teammates!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think that in 20 years, we will all talk about OCFS Centennial Race again. Great racing and a lot of controversy with the biggest purse ever for Modified racing.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No one has discussed the '87 Valley 200 that I mentioned in the original post, but here is a link to what happened. That incident was such a polarizing and widely-discussed race for a long time after that race.

I know hindsight is 20/20, but everyone in the place (other than the officials) knew what was going to happen and why Horton was just slowly driving around waiting for the leaders to approach.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbdvZ8d_edw

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, FightForTheRail said:

No one has discussed the '87 Valley 200 that I mentioned in the original post, but here is a link to what happened. That incident was such a polarizing and widely-discussed race for a long time after that race.

I know hindsight is 20/20, but everyone in the place (other than the officials) knew what was going to happen and why Horton was just slowly driving around waiting for the leaders to approach.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbdvZ8d_edw

Ah that reminds me! Anyone remember "Scalegate"? Brett Hearn invaded the Valley for one of their big races (forget which one) (this was very early in Brett's career) and won. Pulling up on to the scales, he didn't have all 4 tires fully on the scale when the official declared him underweight. His crew was right there, saw the whole thing, pointed it out to the officials but were told no, he's illegal, done. No reweigh with all 4 tires on the scale. Done.

Here is what I remember, but this was a long time ago so not totally sure: The following Monday morning Brett had a lawyer. By Monday afternoon Brett's lawyer had contacted Howard Commander asking for a copy of the New York State Certification certificate for his scale. By Monday evening Brett Hearn had been reinstated as the winner. The following year DIRT came up with the 2% tolerance rule on weight, which we had for many years until the advent of "track scale pounds".

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The 2010 outlaw200 was a pretty awesome race.  Billy Decker and Stewie swapping the lead with sliders for the first 100. Brett Hearn qualifying with a SB and starting 24th ish, moving up to 3rd in the 1st 100. Then taking the lead and running away the second hundred.  The track was super racy that night with battles all over the track. It was Hearns only win at Fulton speedway .

That night was the only night i have ever doubted Brett. I clearly remember picking guys before the race started and someone asked why i didnt pick Brett, decked out in Hearn gear. I said hes never won here and didnt have a shot starting so deep. Proved me wrong that night. Ive never since then not thought that he had a shot to win any race ive been at, no matter starting position. 

And the fact that Matt Sheppard drove through danny under caution after danny spun him in turn 2 , almost ending bretts night early

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, PaGeOrGaBleBHisable said:

The 2010 outlaw200 was a pretty awesome race.  Billy Decker and Stewie swapping the lead with sliders for the first 100. Brett Hearn qualifying with a SB and starting 24th ish, moving up to 3rd in the 1st 100. Then taking the lead and running away the second hundred.  The track was super racy that night with battles all over the track. It was Hearns only win at Fulton speedway .

That night was the only night i have ever doubted Brett. I clearly remember picking guys before the race started and someone asked why i didnt pick Brett, decked out in Hearn gear. I said hes never won here and didnt have a shot starting so deep. Proved me wrong that night. Ive never since then not thought that he had a shot to win any race ive been at, no matter starting position. 

And the fact that Matt Sheppard drove through danny under caution after danny spun him in turn 2 , almost ending bretts night early

After the race I brought my son in the pit to meet Brett.  I told Brett you win everytime my son comes to Fulton with me, Brett smiles looks at my son and says so how did you like your first race at Fulton.     Then looked at me and said I hope u 2 will be back next season 🤣
 

unfortunately we have not been back to the Fulton 200 sense.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, P&T Racing said:

The race at Lebanon Valley (200?) when Horton in the 85 car took Hearn out...

1987 Lebanon Valley 200. I will never forget that race as a kid.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t remember all of the details but wasn’t there a 200 at rolling wheels where Brett was awarded the win even though he was actually a lap down. I could be wrong but I thought Timmy McCreadie was the actual winner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, rpm72x said:

I don’t remember all of the details but wasn’t there a 200 at rolling wheels where Brett was awarded the win even though he was actually a lap down. I could be wrong but I thought Timmy McCreadie was the actual winner.

Negative.

It was an Eldora event while Hearn still had the Budweiser sponsorship. Hearn was completely out to lunch in this event and ducked into the pits under yellow to change tires and make chassis adjustments, which at the time - you had to pass the entire field ahead of the leaders and behind the pace car. He did that, changed 2 tires and rejoined the field at the tail of the field. Instead of repassing the field and falling in line behind the pace car again, he ducked into the pits from the tail of the field a second time and needed to exit before the leader passed him at the pit exit in turn 1. He didn't. He came out of the pits at the tail of the field, putting him a lap down.

Brett tore through the field from last place and passed leader Bob McCreadie with just a few laps to go., putting him back on the lead lap. That event was when they changed the ruling about not being able to go a lap down under yellow - because they'd need to have a transponder loop at the beginning and end of pit road to monitor every car in the pits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes , Al Tasnady beat some of the best in winning all four 25 in the #39 October 1968 at Reading. Quite a feat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BobMiller said:

Negative.

It was an Eldora event while Hearn still had the Budweiser sponsorship. Hearn was completely out to lunch in this event and ducked into the pits under yellow to change tires and make chassis adjustments, which at the time - you had to pass the entire field ahead of the leaders and behind the pace car. He did that, changed 2 tires and rejoined the field at the tail of the field. Instead of repassing the field and falling in line behind the pace car again, he ducked into the pits from the tail of the field a second time and needed to exit before the leader passed him at the pit exit in turn 1. He didn't. He came out of the pits at the tail of the field, putting him a lap down.

Brett tore through the field from last place and passed leader Bob McCreadie with just a few laps to go., putting him back on the lead lap. That event was when they changed the ruling about not being able to go a lap down under yellow - because they'd need to have a transponder loop at the beginning and end of pit road to monitor every car in the pits.

Thank you....I knew Brett had won a marquee event and it was always questioned by people claiming he was a lap down

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Years ago, DTD member cuda11 was a casual poster, usually on topics about Bob McCreadie. The topic came up about the Eldora event and I stated basically the same thing as I did above. His reply was "FINALLY!!! Someone who agrees with us!" As it turned out, cuda11 was none other than Bob McCreadie crewmember and best friend Mike Hayslett. I didn't know Mike at the time, but he and I became friends shortly thereafter. Glad I got to know him. He was a good dude.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have absolutely enjoyed reading this thread, all great choices, I’m gonna share mine, being I’m from Central New Jersey most of my time was spent at East Windsor and Flemington, I’ve been fortunate enough to see so many fantastic races that I cannot single one out.I can however tell you of a night that stands out to me.The year was 1983 the race was the spring Tri Track 100 at Flemington Speedway, this race had one of the biggest fields I’d ever seen at the square as many divisions were in action.This was the debut of the Rosco 65, Barbara and the Late Andy Rosco had hit the lottery and decided to purchase a modified, they bought the car Steve Makocy had previously driven.Now back up one week to Flemingtons opener, Stan Ploski had brought his Buckley modified out of the mothballs with some new skin on it, well Stan got upside down in his heat and damaged the car, then it rained canceling the show.The Roscos contacted Stan and put him in there car and it was a perfect fit, on this night Stan would win the feature in his maiden voyage in there car, not only win but damn near lap the field, and a star studded field at that, but what also was really cool is a young driver from upstate New York came down to Flemington and finished 2nd his name was Danny Johnson and he was driving a Troyer Mud Bus numbered 15j, this kid really turned some heads, back then you didn’t just come to Flemington and be so good right out of the box as that track was very tricky, notorious and intimidating, but Doc wasn’t having it, he drove a great race, Stan won by 3/4 of a lap and resurrected his career.This night stands out for many reasons, it was the first time I ever seen Danny Johnson race, they also had some horrific flips that night which Flemington was known for, it was a night where a driver many thought was over the hill showed he still had a lot left, Stan would win the New Jersey State Modified Championship that year, and it all came down to a lottery ticket...This is a cherished memory for myself....Harry Meeks.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another famous mod race that people remember, not for the racing but for the controversy was the 1983 Nazareth race that competed with 1983 Super Dirt Week.

Kind of like how older sprint car fans remember the USA group that competed with the WoO in 1989.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  















×
×
  • Create New...