Sign in to follow this  
slojunk91

Stew in the Batmobile @ OCFS open practice

Saw he was fitted for the seat and harness during the week. He's now hot lapping the car at OC speedway. No video yet just pics on FB. Anyone know what the plan is for this weekend besides Stew saying he was looking to see what the car can do at a 1/2 mile track. Also has a front wing attached and a roof mod.

From what I read on facebook, the nose and roof was stuff Weld intended to do before they banned it... So its as it would have been raced at the Eastern States back in the day...

9 minutes ago, The Rabbitt said:

From what I read on facebook, the nose and roof was stuff Weld intended to do before they banned it... So its as it would have been raced at the Eastern States back in the day...

Saw that too. Very cool stuff..

Only thing it doesn't have is the actual motor it ran at Syracuse. Which Kenny said Ron's engine was the real secret.

ZZZ, The car was 100%  Legal at Syracuse in the 1980 format of the Rules. , Weld  worked between the rules. It's only cheating if you are not within the rulebook. The car was brought to DIRT  2 months before super dirt week and was deemed Legal. Now Felon that's another story....

Kenny Weld and Grant king took this sport to the next level, in so many ways that all the cars are still close the their design.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here is a neat article about Friesen practicing in the Batmobile. Friesen think he can get the car faster than today's Modifieds. Furthermore, Friesen wishes he could run that 39-year-old car in the Eastern States 200 this weekend.

On his first trip down the OCFS straightaway with the Batmobile, Friesen was sure the car could be competitive with today's Modifieds.

After practicing with the car, Friesen went up to Jimmy Horton, who competed in the 1980 Super DIRT Week, and told him,  "You guys didn't stand a chance in 1980."

https://speed51.com/friesen-bets-that-batmobile-is-faster-than-todays-modifieds/

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FightForTheRail said:

Here is a neat article about Friesen practicing in the Batmobile. Friesen think he can get the car faster than today's Modifeids. Furthermore, Friesen wishes he could run that 39-year-old car in the Eastern States 200 this weekend.

On his first trip down the OCFS straightaway with the Batmobile, Friesen was sure the car could be competitive with today's Modifieds.

After practicing with the car, Friesen went up to Jimmy Horton, who competed in the 1980 Super DIRT Week, and told him,  "You guys didn't stand a chance in 1980."

https://speed51.com/friesen-bets-that-batmobile-is-faster-than-todays-modifieds/

They should let Horton take it out for a session just to feel what he was up against that year 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, zzz said:

yeah lets celebrate a cheater and felon from 40 yrs ago,,not stew btw,, good idea!

You need to get with the program. Only in America do you see people favor convicted felons once they get out of prison. Martha Stewart is more popular now than before she went to prison. 

10 hours ago, tech barn said:

ZZZ, The car was 100%  Legal at Syracuse in the 1980 format of the Rules. , Weld  worked between the rules. It's only cheating if you are not within the rulebook. The car was brought to DIRT  2 months before super dirt week and was deemed Legal. Now Felon that's another story....

Kenny Weld and Grant king took this sport to the next level, in so many ways that all the cars are still close the their design.

I read a few years back that Greg Weld had DIRT's head of tech Bob Dini flown out to Kansas City to inspect the car. He passed it.

12 minutes ago, djbamber said:

I read a few years back that Greg Weld had DIRT's head of tech Bob Dini flown out to Kansas City to inspect the car. He passed it.

Kenny Weld. Balough has it in his book that Weld told the DIRT inspector even before DIRT Week that if there was anything not legal about the car, to let him know so he could change it before the car was towed to Syracuse.

Balough wrote in the book that the DIRT inspector went over the car with a fine toothed comb in Weld's shop; the entire body was off the car for the DIRT inspector to look at what was underneath the body,

Everyone knows how innovative and amazing the Batmobile was, but Balough also told an awesome story in his book about Kenny Weld's ingenuity on the Late Model Balough ran at New Smyrna Speedweeks one year. The track was trying to police teams from having cars too wide/having all the weight on the left side. The track's idea of how to police this was to have a template that cars had to fit between when they went over the scale. Weld's way around that was to install a system that could be controlled with a switch that would allow the car's rear end to shift so that if would fit over the scale, while also allowing the driver to shift the rear for racing conditions.

Balough wrote that rival car builder Ed Howe was actually laying on the ground and watching the car go through the corners while trying to figure out how the car was still fitting over the scale after the races.

1 hour ago, djbamber said:

Kenny Weld that is. This is accurate.

11 hours ago, DowntheBackStretch said:

You need to get with the program. Only in America do you see people favor convicted felons once they get out of prison. Martha Stewart is more popular now than before she went to prison. 

I agree !!! People like Johnny Cash and Junior Johnson should just sit in their section 8 housing and keep their fat trap shut !!🥴

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Pretty sure a good many years ago when the mile wasnt blacktop there was a thread on here about the batmobile or sdw or something and it got brought into it and I believe I ask if anyone thought it would be competitive nowadays and if I remember correctly the general consensus was that it wouldn't be. 

Wonder if stew would think it was even more bad ass if it had original motor in it?

15 hours ago, djbamber said:

Bob Dini couldn't find his ass with both hands!......might as well have had Ray Charles doing tech.....LOL

• Like 2

1 hour ago, racer80 said:

Bob Dini couldn't find his ass with both hands!......might as well have had Ray Charles doing tech.....LOL

So true....lol

• Like 1

A: there's no way that car would be competitive...……...in fact, the car was raced many times on short tracks and Syracuse after 1980 and never did anything.(as the 73).

B: All the Grant King cars and this car were instantly outdated as soon as the Troyer car hit the track in the spring of 1981.

Don Bushbacker was the head tech man of DIRT in 1980 and was the one flown to look at the car.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If it wouldn't be competitive then why would Friesen say he believes it would outrun today's modifieds? Or is he just talking shit and drumming up interest for the show?

4 minutes ago, dan dan said:

If it wouldn't be competitive then why would Friesen say he believes it would outrun today's modifieds? Or is he just talking shit and drumming up interest for the show?

I heard Stewies take on ESPN after the Canandaguia sprint race a few years ago. I wouldnt take his beliefs with a grain of salt

26 minutes ago, dan dan said:

I’m sure that’s partially true, I’m also sure it may be competitive at a place like Syracuse or Middletown....but I’m more than sure that it would not be competitive at 95% of all other tracks dirt modifieds compete at. 

I don't particularly care for him myself, more so interested in if the car would be competitive in today's age. 

Rpm, that's sorta what I was thinking. Big fairly smooth tracks. 

I would assume they probably could compare lap times with today's car against that one?

Im glad a few people in here addressed the elephant in the room. 

If the batmobile could keep up with the mods of today and be competitive I think we should all be ashamed of ourselves because that would mean we truly haven't made any progress or advancements in the modified racing world in the last 40 plus years.

• Like 1

Progress ,chassis progress,still have 4 tires and shocks, gees back to coils again ,motor dept has got better,tires still suck,shocks are better,some guys still haven't learned simple is better,you have to work on the car,preparation maintenance the main ingredients

• Like 1