Reading the article in area auto sounds like Hearn is retiring at season end?  Or maybe just running a limited schedule?

he was quoted as saying it would have been pretty embarrassing to not qualify in your last one with all the success he has had in this event 

Let me say this....I have seen over the course of my 55 plus years of attending racing events....a handful of drivers who stayed in the game to long and ended up going out as a shadow of their prime years.  I won't mention names, but some of those drivers were really top named drivers who deserved to be remembered in a much more prominent light and it was a damned shame that they held on longer than they should have in search for that feeling of standing in victory lane.  Should Brett decide to retire...I say he is doing the right thing.  He is still a relatively successful driver and if he retired...one could possibly say he went out on top of his game.  For the career that he has amassed, it would be a shame to see him struggle for a few years in search of the past fame and simply look like a chump.  Go out with nothing to hang your head about.

• Like 1

The AARN article had him quoted as saying something like “it would have sucked not qualifying for my last one given the success I’ve had in this race” when referencing the issues he had earlier in the week. An interesting quote that may have indicated his future plans.

16 minutes ago, con7 said:

The AARN article had him quoted as saying something like “it would have sucked not qualifying for my last one given the success I’ve had in this race” when referencing the issues he had earlier in the week. An interesting quote that may have indicated his future plans.

Yep....sure was an odd thing to say and he is smart enough to measure his statements before they escape his gullet.

Rumors have been going around OCFS for over a year that he will be working for Halmar at OCFS next year. Again, RUMOR, but a lot of people are assuming it is true.

1 hour ago, HowieTheHat said:

Let me say this....I have seen over the course of my 55 plus years of attending racing events....a handful of drivers who stayed in the game to long and ended up going out as a shadow of their prime years.  I won't mention names, but some of those drivers were really top named drivers who deserved to be remembered in a much more prominent light and it was a damned shame that they held on longer than they should have in search for that feeling of standing in victory lane.  Should Brett decide to retire...I say he is doing the right thing.  He is still a relatively successful driver and if he retired...one could possibly say he went out on top of his game.  For the career that he has amassed, it would be a shame to see him struggle for a few years in search of the past fame and simply look like a chump.  Go out with nothing to hang your head about.

I totally agree.  I have seen a lot of drivers hang on for to long.  But I get both sides.  It’s in there blood. Personally I hope I haven’t watched Bretts last race 

Hern Limited schedule in 2020 in the #20, when he isnt in it, Stewart Friesen will be in it for 2020. 

• Like 1

he's not done but I bet you don't see him with a weekly track. just hitting some bigger races. although doesn't make any sense that they go out and get a brand new hauler and then stop racing 

• Like 1

Unfortunately running a limited “big money only” schedule does not work. If your not in the car a few times a week you have virtually no shot when it comes to the marquee events. If he promotes ocfs he will probably do a lot of testing there for Teo, which would keep him competitive at that facility....he’s the king of the valley so for a short time he could run well there with a limited schedule. Other than those 2 places he hasn’t been overly competitive anywhere else in a few years....even Malta where he is the best to ever call the place home has been anything but a cakewalk for him recently. Brett is super knowledgeable, and a true businessman. He is the first and best example of a professional dirt modified driver because of his ability to be the whole package both in and out of his car. He is still very relevant in the sport and can do great things from the promotion side of the track now, instead of on it. He is most responsible for making dirt modified racing as professional as it is. Brett’s career will never be eclipsed or rivaled, as he was the best of the best, and had to do it against the stiffest competition the northeast will ever offer. If this is the end for him, I hope he grabs one more ESW triumph and has a good showing in Charlotte. 

• Like 2

I asked Brett at Albany Saratoga a few years back at his Big Show about retirement and if he had any plans of becoming an event or track promoter when that day comes. With a smirk on his face he said his idea of retirement included sitting on a beach somewhere. I believe him. I say if/when the day comes when he decides to hang up his helmet, he walks away for good.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 22racingteam said:

I totally agree.  I have seen a lot of drivers hang on for to long.  But I get both sides.  It’s in there blood. Personally I hope I haven’t watched Bretts last race 

Frankie Schneider comes to mind first.............

I have seen some drivers that hung around too long, but it was all they did for 40-50 years. Hard to give it up.

• Like 1

It’s amazing to think that a driver who just won the big block championship at OCFS might retire because he doesn’t have it anymore.  

There is one driver that really sticks out in my mind.  He was one of my favorites way back when I was a teenager.  As I said in my original post...I won't name names, but it really hurt to see him struggle in his last few years.  

9 hours ago, HowieTheHat said:

He’s waited a couple years too long to go out on top. But yes, the time has come and not only for Hearn 

I talked to Brett for at least 15 minutes at Oswego, and suggested that he may have lost a step this year. He was quick ... very quick ... to point out that he won a championship and had "a ton of top 5's but not knocking down those W's like really well". ... In fact ... I detected that he was offended that I mentioned it.

He gave no indication whatsoever that he's done, or thinks he is almost done. So ... I'm guessing he was misquoted or it was taken out of context.

I'm curious as to who the interviewer was. If Brett made a comment like that to me, I'd be all over it like a vulture because his retirement would be one of the biggest story that any northeast dirt racing reporter would ever break in their entire career.

I would have said ... "Whoa ... hold on ... wait a f***ing second here" , and quoted what he just said right back to him, and asked ... are you telling me this is it?"

Even if you weren't a reporter ... wouldn't you make him clarify?

7 hours ago, GasketCase said:

I'm curious as to who the interviewer was. If Brett made a comment like that to me, I'd be all over it like a vulture because his retirement would be one of the biggest story that any northeast dirt racing reporter would ever break in their entire career.

I would have said ... "Whoa ... hold on ... wait a f***ing second here" , and quoted what he just said right back to him, and asked ... are you telling me this is it?"

I disagree that a 61-year-old driver retiring would be the biggest story a dirt racing reporter could ever break. I don't in any way say that diminish how great Hearn was or his 900 wins, but the guy is 61 years old. Within a few years, all the greats of the 1970s and 1980s will be retired -- Pauch, Horton, Cozze, Alan, Danny.

That quote would not catch me by surprise because it isn't like Jim Brown walking away at the peak of his career.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FightForTheRail said:

I disagree that a 61-year-old driver retiring would be the biggest story a dirt racing reporter could ever break. I don't in any way say that diminish how great Hearn was or his 900 wins, but the guy is 61 years old. Within a few years, all the greats of the 1970s and 1980s will be retired -- Pauch, Horton, Cozze, Alan, Danny.

That quote would not catch me by surprise because it isn't like Jim Brown walking away at the peak of his career.

When someone who transcends their sport retires, its a very big story regardless of their age. Like the guy or hate the guy you have to really look at what he has done to change the way people do things (in the shop) and look at what he has accomplished on the track. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, HowieTheHat said:

There is one driver that really sticks out in my mind.  He was one of my favorites way back when I was a teenager.  As I said in my original post...I won't name names, but it really hurt to see him struggle in his last few years.  

Richard Petty

20 hours ago, rpm72x said:

Unfortunately running a limited “big money only” schedule does not work. If your not in the car a few times a week you have virtually no shot when it comes to the marquee events. If he promotes ocfs he will probably do a lot of testing there for Teo, which would keep him competitive at that facility....he’s the king of the valley so for a short time he could run well there with a limited schedule. Other than those 2 places he hasn’t been overly competitive anywhere else in a few years....even Malta where he is the best to ever call the place home has been anything but a cakewalk for him recently. Brett is super knowledgeable, and a true businessman. He is the first and best example of a professional dirt modified driver because of his ability to be the whole package both in and out of his car. He is still very relevant in the sport and can do great things from the promotion side of the track now, instead of on it. He is most responsible for making dirt modified racing as professional as it is. Brett’s career will never be eclipsed or rivaled, as he was the best of the best, and had to do it against the stiffest competition the northeast will ever offer. If this is the end for him, I hope he grabs one more ESW triumph and has a good showing in Charlotte. 

12 hours ago, GasketCase said:

With his performance at Oswego, I certainly don't feel he would be embarrassing himself anytime soon.

• Like 1

A couple of scenarios come to mind:  1)  Weekly racing only, Fridays at A/S, Saturdays at OCFS.  2)  Fridays at A/S,  race director at OCFS, which would make it difficult and very unpopular with other teams for him to race there on Sat.  Which then begs the question, why do you need a new hauler for just weekly racing, a new hauler suggest a traveling schedule?  Puzzling.  I guess we'll find out this weekend..............  

21 minutes ago, robertmorris said:

With his performance at Oswego, I certainly don't feel he would be embarrassing himself anytime soon.

I understand that, but how many dnq did he have this year? There was never a time you would think of Brett as a guy who would struggle to qualify.