Sign in to follow this  
bababuoy

airborne considering making 358's a thing of the past

apparently the new management at airborne speedway considering making the headline class a specials only in 2020 5 to 6 times a year as a cost savings move 

we had so much hope for them but this looks like the beginning of the end for hopefully just management not airborne

The management I think did a great job this year. They ran efficient programs and got a lot of races in that most tracks would of canceled because of unfavorable forecast. I’d hate to see them do this but 358 car counts aren’t there consistently through the year. 

Hate to see it but if cars aren’t showing up to support it,  maybe it’s the only alternative.    Is it a logistical thing why there are not many 358’s showing up?   I heard great things about the place last year 

Car counts haven't even been that bad there. There have been 10 races with 15 or more modifieds not counting sds or 358 series race which would bring it to 12 and only 5 races with less then 15 modified out of 17 races this year. That's a good count if you ask me. I'm not sure if Can-am speedway is close to those numbers. I say just keep running them and they will show!

• Like 1

It sounds like they are looking at the Devil's Bowl model ... which seems to be working. About 40-50 Sportsmen a week between the two classes, they have a lot of talent there weekly. Run a few big specials a year ... 

I think it is hard to justify a Modified purse for 12-15 cars and it just seems that nobody can afford to move up. Mohawk and Can-Am are in the same boat.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, BillSmith said:

It sounds like they are looking at the Devil's Bowl model ... which seems to be working. About 40-50 Sportsmen a week between the two classes, they have a lot of talent there weekly. Run a few big specials a year ... 

I think it is hard to justify a Modified purse for 12-15 cars and it just seems that nobody can afford to move up. Mohawk and Can-Am are in the same boat.

maybe time to beg Mike perrotte to promote airborne  the main word is promote he knows how to call teams and buissness and get them to come and race plus he may know a bit about track prep !! that alone would improve car counts dramatically imo

2 hours ago, bababuoy said:

maybe time to beg Mike perrotte to promote airborne  the main word is promote he knows how to call teams and buissness and get them to come and race plus he may know a bit about track prep !! that alone would improve car counts dramatically imo

Rob Knowles did a great job there this year. Mike Perrotte isn’t gonna draw anymore cars. Only so many gonna go there. They are drawing about the same as Can Am or better actually weekly. Airborne had average of 16 358s a week but late in season they had 10. Can Am had about a 14 average. Should Bartletts run and beg someone else to run it???

• Like 1

Agreed that Rob Knowles did a great job.

It is not a question of promotion, the cars are simply not there. As I said, Mohawk and Can-Am are facing the same anemic car counts.

People are staying in Sportsman because it is what they can swing and are competitive in.

5-6 well-timed specials -- likely around mid-week or holidays, could bring in a nice mix of Quebec, Cornwall-Mohawk and Capital District cars, but there are just not enough 358s to support the class weekly. 

Besides, if 358 car counts rebound in a big way, they can always bring them back.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rpm72x said:

The crazy part is watching the Fulton count grow considerably while paying a lousy purse.

More people in the area by Fulton. Theres so many tracks up here and just not enough people to support a full class at every track 3 nights a week

• Like 1

Wasn't it said that 358's would replace big blocks because they are so plentiful & affordable, everyone can afford them? The car counts will increase 2 fold! Costs will go down!

Yes a Billy the Kid small block is less than a BTK big block! 

Redd

you mean a big small block right? Not a dirt legal one. 

Does he do a dirt legal one? 

I think the deal is the sportsman are so affordable it’s taken the lead at many tracks. 

Sportsman is less for engine, burns cheaper fuel, less tire wear , and puts on pretty competitive racing. Switch the modified class over to crates do you think the racing wouldn’t be as good? Good drivers always get that last 1 or 2 tenth out of a car.

On 11/2/2019 at 7:55 AM, rpm72x said:

The crazy part is watching the Fulton count grow considerably while paying a lousy purse.

Can you tell me where I can see what the lousy purse was that Fulton was paying weekly for the 358’s. Would like to know what was paid for first to last. Also total purse paid out.

Have no idea....1200 to win 100 or 125 to take the green I believe....there is zero excuse that the purse dropped from the 1500 to win purse paid to the big blocks previously. 

2 hours ago, Eagleonemotorsports said:

Redd

you mean a big small block right? Not a dirt legal one. 

Does he do a dirt legal one? 

I think the deal is the sportsman are so affordable it’s taken the lead at many tracks. 

Sportsman is less for engine, burns cheaper fuel, less tire wear , and puts on pretty competitive racing. Switch the modified class over to crates do you think the racing wouldn’t be as good? Good drivers always get that last 1 or 2 tenth out of a car.

I assumeBTK build a dirt legal sb but there only a few tracks to run them at, Fulton, airborne, Mohawk  & UR come to mind but why? Deyo big small blocks are  are runnable at Fonda & the southern tier & the STSS, where dirt legal 358’s aren’t competitive for the most part. No doubt the crates have kept teams from moving up up the cost of a competitive crate car has increased due to super light expensive running gear & suspension parts m, not spending on motors but other crucial parts

1 hour ago, rpm72x said:

Have no idea....1200 to win 100 or 125 to take the green I believe....there is zero excuse that the purse dropped from the 1500 to win purse paid to the big blocks previously. 

Wait Fulton paid 1200 to win this year?!

On 11/2/2019 at 9:34 AM, Devin Willis said:

More people in the area by Fulton. Theres so many tracks up here and just not enough people to support a full class at every track 3 nights a week

Exactly my thoughts. We are very saturated with dirt tracks in CNY ,including the north,actually NY state has allot of tracks close

to each other and dollar only goes so far families not to mention teams.  So side note,racers are out spending their intake,priced

themselves right out of car counts or class. I really don't get spending 57,000 or about 10 thousand less for 358 . Granted Bicknell and

LJLKevlar have tried to help the cost of running 358,to get winning purse of around 1200 to 2000 average winners purse.

Jmo. I think if done right, sportsman can be the headline class. Especially in a area where there isnt a abundance  of sb/bb. More affordable for sure.  It does work at a few tracks. And again jmo, but I think there is more fans than people realize that like racing in general and not just bb/sb have to be there or it ain't racing. 

their does'nt seem to be a lot of home grown drivers in this area.Anybody have any opinions on why they think that is.Personally I would start with making a go kart track.I know it's a great feeder system at a lot of tracks.

8 minutes ago, Stewyfan44 said:

their does'nt seem to be a lot of home grown drivers in this area.Anybody have any opinions on why they think that is.Personally I would start with making a go kart track.I know it's a great feeder system at a lot of tracks.

They had one when it was asphalt and they attempted to make a dirt one but that never worked out.

The sportsman class is mostly local guys but there isnt a huge incentive to move up. Spend 20k on a motor to race for something like 1200 to win? And even then if you're just moving up maheny raabe and bernier are going to be impossible to keep up with 

I haven't posted here in quite a few years but I guess it's as good as time as any. These sportsman guys that think they can't afford to move up because of price of a 358 aren't talking to the right person. To think you need a 20000+ small block to compete are just wrong. There are plenty of engines out there for less than 10000 including the w16. I've got one of these 358's that keep up just fine for alot less than 20,000 that everyone thinks you need 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Bicknell16w said:

I haven't posted here in quite a few years but I guess it's as good as time as any. These sportsman guys that think they can't afford to move up because of price of a 358 aren't talking to the right person. To think you need a 20000+ small block to compete are just wrong. There are plenty of engines out there for less than 10000 including the w16. I've got one of these 358's that keep up just fine for alot less than 20,000 that everyone thinks you need 

bingo

3 hours ago, dingwallmotorsports said:

bingo

Not to mention sportsman teams rolling in with stackers and $10,000 pit boxes..... some just like being the big fish in a small pond 

4 hours ago, Bicknell16w said: