Sign in to follow this  
leakin_fluids

Mod aerodynamics....sorry in advance

During Billy Jr's recap at the 17:30 ish mark of Mandee's vlog he talks about the Mod's aero characteristics being a little too close to sprint cars when he talks about how hard it is to pass the leader in when not in traffic. I haven't really noticed, or maybe I just always assumed the leader was just faster, or maybe it's because he had whatever line he wanted to take.

This question is really more for the drivers on here, it what Billy is saying really noticeable, is the leader's car that much harder because of the clean air on his car vs the 2nd place car or is it a combination of all?

If this means more "sliders" for mod passes vs the 2 lane side by side by side passes with a guy bouncing of the cushion and one hugging the bottom, I'm not so sure I like where this is going...😕

Maybe I am reading too much in to what he said???

This isn't anything new really...Northeast DIRT Modifieds have had basically the same aero for a very long time.  All that has really changed (maybe 2014-ish and newer) is more flat area on the doors and sail panels and some attempt to seal off the nose. 

The more aero dependent a car is, the more effect there will be when you take clean air away.  Our cars are very rear-biased aero wise, so we don't get the NASCAR style aero push so much as we just lose overall downforce when following another car. 

At a place like Can-Am, being out front in the clean air, makes a huge difference. 

Any race car that has body panels that help the performance of the car is affected by being behind another car. Northeast style modifieds have had to deal with this for a long time. Fortunately when racing on dirt, you can move your car around a little to try to get air on the nose and other panels so the effect isn't that great, but it still can be noticeable and affect performance. I know that if I'm following a car into turn 3 on the cushion at LOLR that I need to try and get the nose of my car to their inside a little or else my car will be tight entering the corner. At Syracuse it was really noticeable all around the track. You could feel the draft on the straights (though never enough to allow a sling shot) , especially the backstretch for some reason, and if you were behind a car in the corner your car wouldn't feel as stable as it would if it was alone.

• Like 2

Never been there.

But from video Georgetown appears to be fairly large size track no?

From previous posts mentioning Can Am ,LOLR, Syracuse. I would say the size of the track has a lot to do with how much or how little aero effects the car

3 minutes ago, leroy said:

Never been there.

But from video Georgetown appears to be fairly large size track no?

From previous posts mentioning Can Am ,LOLR, Syracuse. I would say the size of the track has a lot to do with how much or how little aero effects the car

Yes it is big. Listed as a 1/2 mile but it’s a big 1/2 mile.

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, matt_s86 said:

This isn't anything new really...Northeast DIRT Modifieds have had basically the same aero for a very long time.  All that has really changed (maybe 2014-ish and newer) is more flat area on the doors and sail panels and some attempt to seal off the nose. 

The more aero dependent a car is, the more effect there will be when you take clean air away.  Our cars are very rear-biased aero wise, so we don't get the NASCAR style aero push so much as we just lose overall downforce when following another car. 

I think sealing the nose off in a Northeast style mod isn’t so much about overall downforce as it is about just keeping the nose down. They’re so rear aero dependent that it almost creates lift in the nose. 

My nose has been wind tunnel tested at speeds of over 170 mph, but I have no idea what it's like to be second.

• Haha 1

Your nose IS the wind tunnel.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, BobMiller said:

Your nose IS the wind tunnel.

10 points, Miller. 10 points. That was definitely good.