Jump to content



Sign in to follow this  
PatsJags14

NASCAR fines for intentional yellow, when will dirt step up

Recommended Posts

Nascar penalized bubba for bringing out a yellow. Which begs the question when will DIRT and the local tracks finally step up. We see it at local tracks sometimes multiple times in a single races

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, PatsJags14 said:

Nascar penalized bubba for bringing out a yellow. Which begs the question when will DIRT and the local tracks finally step up. We see it at local tracks sometimes multiple times in a single races

It’s easy all you have to do is put in place a rule about bringing out a yellow flag. I was at South Texas Speedway for a big IMCA Mod race last year and if a car brought out the yellow flag all by themselves with no others involved they were send to the pits and could not return to the track for the remainder of that race. I’m pretty sure they have been using this rule at the Boone National for many years. I also don’t think that provisionals should be added to the rear of the starting fields. Either you make it into the race or you put it on the trailer and try again at the next race.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In a Dirt mod race.... guy cuts a tire.... slows to bring out yellow.   I rather have that driver be able to change tire and get back in the race without a lap lost.   I go to the races to be entertained.....  I don’t want to see a guy have zero chance over a simple cut tire.  Dirt is not nascar.  When the races are no longer entertaining.....  the bleachers will be empty.   

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally l would like to see it eliminated altogether. But a compromise might to only allow a driver to do it once a race. If there's already that rule in place correct me.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is the bigger question (and we could use last nights race at Charlotte as an example), why is 3/4 of the cautions caused by  drivers slowing with flats.

Maybe the issue isn't giving guys a break but why are there so many flat tires?

The amount of cautions for flat tires just kills the momentum of a race.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Dirtwatch66 said:

In a Dirt mod race.... guy cuts a tire.... slows to bring out yellow.   I rather have that driver be able to change tire and get back in the race without a lap lost.   I go to the races to be entertained.....  I don’t want to see a guy have zero chance over a simple cut tire.  Dirt is not nascar.  When the races are no longer entertaining.....  the bleachers will be empty.   

Agree 100%.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, chas71 said:

Is the bigger question (and we could use last nights race at Charlotte as an example), why is 3/4 of the cautions caused by  drivers slowing with flats.

Maybe the issue isn't giving guys a break but why are there so many flat tires?

The amount of cautions for flat tires just kills the momentum of a race.

There seem to be more flat tire cautions in Modifieds for sure. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Dirtwatch66 said:

In a Dirt mod race.... guy cuts a tire.... slows to bring out yellow.   I rather have that driver be able to change tire and get back in the race without a lap lost.   I go to the races to be entertained.....  I don’t want to see a guy have zero chance over a simple cut tire.  Dirt is not nascar.  When the races are no longer entertaining.....  the bleachers will be empty.   

So give everyone a mulligan?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only reason he got fined is because he practically admitted it during an interview FIVE DAYS after the incident.   There have been some just as obvious intentional spins(such as Logano at Martinsville 1 week earlier) and nothing was done. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think policing a rule like that would be hard and I really don't agree with the idea of "cause a caution and you're out." Sure, it will cut out a lot of unnecessary cautions, but it really penalizes the guy who legitimately has an issue. IMCA has been using that rule for years at the IMCA Nationals and it works there ...  when you have hundreds of cars in the pits, you really not to make the show move along ... but I really don't like it. I also don't have a solution to the problem. I just don't know if penalizing a guy is it.

Maybe have a # of single-car cautions for a year at a track or on a series. Like, after three over the course of a season, you're done for that race if you draw a single car caution. That's a lot of bookkeeping but it would cut out the unnecessary cautions and penalize the serial offenders while not overly penalizing a guy who legitimately has a bad break once in a  while. But I really don't see any track wanting to bother with the bookkeeping.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How about you get a flat and pull in infield or go to pits and chalk it up to bad luck? Instead of stopping then they can run 10 laps while they try to get everyone lined back up cause they can't remember where they were and don't listen  and you have plenty of time to get back out there. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dan dan said:

How about you get a flat and pull in infield or go to pits and chalk it up to bad luck? Instead of stopping then they can run 10 laps while they try to get everyone lined back up cause they can't remember where they were and don't listen  and you have plenty of time to get back out there. 

So I drive 3 hours to a race and pack it up in the feature becuase I get a flat? I'd just stay hone the next time

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, BillSmith said:

I think policing a rule like that would be hard and I really don't agree with the idea of "cause a caution and you're out." Sure, it will cut out a lot of unnecessary cautions, but it really penalizes the guy who legitimately has an issue. IMCA has been using that rule for years at the IMCA Nationals and it works there ...  when you have hundreds of cars in the pits, you really not to make the show move along ... but I really don't like it. I also don't have a solution to the problem. I just don't know if penalizing a guy is it.

Maybe have a # of single-car cautions for a year at a track or on a series. Like, after three over the course of a season, you're done for that race if you draw a single car caution. That's a lot of bookkeeping but it would cut out the unnecessary cautions and penalize the serial offenders while not overly penalizing a guy who legitimately has a bad break once in a  while. But I really don't see any track wanting to bother with the bookkeeping.

I don’t think you have to park guys when they purposely bring out a yellow. I think you could just do something like, if you bring out the yellow in a single car incident and don’t take assistance to the pits you get docked a lap. It’s still less then you’d lose under green

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Devin Willis said:

So I drive 3 hours to a race and pack it up in the feature becuase I get a flat? I'd just stay hone the next time

In a lot of forms of racing that's exactly what would happen. Might make some guys think twice about the old saying "rubbin's racin"😉

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/9/2019 at 11:03 PM, Devin Willis said:

So I drive 3 hours to a race and pack it up in the feature becuase I get a flat? I'd just stay hone the next time

Yes, that's exactly how it works.  I've only had 2 non-crash flats in my life, and both times I parked it in the infield and didn't bring out a yellow.    

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, luke81 said:

Yes, that's exactly how it works.  I've only had 2 non-crash flats in my life, and both times I parked it in the infield and didn't bring out a yellow.    

That must of really helped you in winning a championship... two unnecessary DNFs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, luke81 said:

Yes, that's exactly how it works.  I've only had 2 non-crash flats in my life, and both times I parked it in the infield and didn't bring out a yellow.    

At a few of the races we went to this year we would have had 0 cars left if everyone did that. I got 2 flats in 2 weeks in heat races for no apparent reason. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He didn't delay the show by stopping and waiting for yellow and then driving to pits. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/9/2019 at 5:59 PM, con7 said:

There seem to be more flat tire cautions in Modifieds for sure. 

Anyone know what the rules are for ESS or the Patriot Sprints. I am trying to remember but I'm not sure they wait for guys with flat tires.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
















×