Jump to content



Sign in to follow this  
REDDFOXX

ENGINE RULES CHANGES FOR 2020?

Recommended Posts

Time to start engine prep for the modified 2020 season, anyone heard of rule changes coming up? 

BB, SB, BigSmall Bocks?

How about tire manufacturers changing at any NY tracks?

Are the Dirtcar fire bottles going to be mandatory in 2020 at “NON” Dirtcar sanctioned tracks?

Any other changes in the wind?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

not sure how true it is but I hear if you have a dirt spec engine at fonda you only have to weight 2300.can anyone confirm?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/19/2019 at 4:11 PM, REDDFOXX said:

Any truth that Malta will be big blocks only for the modifieds, NO small blocks or Big Small Blocks?

I hope not. I think it would be a bad choice

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, tiracer43 said:

I hope not. I think it would be a bad choice

Maybe, but it is quite odd they are dirtcar sanctioned with completely different rules....somehow they have figured out how to keep it competitive....on second thought maybe the other dirtcar big block tracks should adopt the a/s rules and get more than 16 cars weekly....that rules package would increase car counts at every big block track....the spec head sportsman motor dirtcar mandates is not going to be competitive most nights at any big block track 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/20/2019 at 5:22 PM, rpm72x said:

Maybe, but it is quite odd they are dirtcar sanctioned with completely different rules....somehow they have figured out how to keep it competitive....on second thought maybe the other dirtcar big block tracks should adopt the a/s rules and get more than 16 cars weekly....that rules package would increase car counts at every big block track....the spec head sportsman motor dirtcar mandates is not going to be competitive most nights at any big block track 

How many teams have big small blocks just sitting around keeping them from racing weekly?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, fiend540 said:

How many teams have big small blocks just sitting around keeping them from racing weekly?

How many teams would love to use their ported 358s? There are a lot of those motors sitting around or only being raced a few times a year because the places they are legal are quite s distance from the cny area. It doesn’t cost anymore to build a ported 358 than it does to build a spec head, one is competitive against big blocks, the other normally isn’t. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, rpm72x said:

How many teams would love to use their ported 358s? There are a lot of those motors sitting around or only being raced a few times a year because the places they are legal are quite s distance from the cny area. It doesn’t cost anymore to build a ported 358 than it does to build a spec head, one is competitive against big blocks, the other normally isn’t. 

No, how many teams own a ported 358, and aren't currently racing weekly?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Too many different engine rules & combinations. Steel headed ported small blocks have to weigh what big blocks weigh per Dirtcar, ridiculous! Why bother! Spec small blocks w alum heads 200# lighter or more, ported vs non ported, angled milled etc & 12, 14, 18, 20 degree heads ... pick one! The costs just keep going up & up! Big bore, short stroke, domed pistons vs flat tops.... & we wonder why the car counts have dwindled! Add to that Hoosiers vs AR's, VP vs Sunoco, through in expensive Fire Bottles at about a grand a pop, the small teams have to pick & choose where & when to race based on what they have that fits a certain tracks criteria! Just when you think you may have what's needed the rules change & you have to buy more shit to be allowed to race! Rant over...

 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, J. Downing said:

So Redd, who is gonna pilot your car this season at Fonda and the Ridge?

 

We haven't committed to racing in 2020 as of yet, we intended to have 2019 be our last season, perhaps run special shows in 2020, we have done some updates to the suspension on the car , the engine is fresh with 100 laps on it, but we don't have a big small block to run Fonda if the surface remains as it was last season & we don't have the $$$ to purchase a big small block to add to the arsenal for 2020. If & when we make a final decision we will name a driver that fits what we propose doing, whether it's a partial or full season. 

In order to run Fri at Malta & Fonda on Sat you really need 2 cars with different combinations, we are a 1 car team!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the reply. The new surface that has been laid down for Fonda 2020 should make for even better racing than 2019 was. Hope to see your car at home at Fonda at least. best wishes to you and the family. Have a nice Thanksgiving and a merry Christmas regardless of your 2020 plans!!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Racing should go back to just showing up and race, forget about all these different combinations and weights. Again if all tracks would work together, which won't happen, guys could just go and race no matter what motor they had.

  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/26/2019 at 4:46 PM, TopDog said:

Racing should go back to just showing up and race, forget about all these different combinations and weights. Again if all tracks would work together, which won't happen, guys could just go and race no matter what motor they had.

if you have a 360 or 410 sprint or Open Latemodel you can race from New York to California, because they have a universal set of rules... Yet our modifieds who we only really draw cars from the northeast and canada we have BB, Dirt legal SB, Albany SB , Pennsylvania SB, Deyo/STSS open small block (big and small cubic inch) , Canada is primarily Dirt Legal SB unless you are in Quebec where the W16 has been given a weight advantage. We have alot of engine combinations for a very limited amount of cars areas we can draw from.

 

Rob Hile

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not to pick apart your arguement, but sprints have it to, domed wings, flat wings... but by in large yes, you can just about race anywhere...

 

I noticed you left out the other "modifieds"...  those cars, IMCA, UMP, eMod etc are just as big of a dumpster fire on differing rules as we are if not worse... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I still say just show up and race and if you don't think what you have is competitive than don't go. Not trying to be harsh but drivers and fans bitch about everything and you arent going to please everyone.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/17/2019 at 3:00 PM, REDDFOXX said:

Time to start engine prep for the modified 2020 season, anyone heard of rule changes coming up? 

BB, SB, BigSmall Bocks?

How about tire manufacturers changing at any NY tracks?

Are the Dirtcar fire bottles going to be mandatory in 2020 at “NON” Dirtcar sanctioned tracks?

Any other changes in the wind?

 

 

Rumor has it that turbine and Offenhauser engines will be allowed to run at Fonda and STSS in 2020 with a weight break. For those who have them stuck away in the corner of the shop time to dig them out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, RJO said:

Rumor has it that turbine and Offenhauser engines will be allowed to run at Fonda and STSS in 2020 with a weight break. For those who have them stuck away in the corner of the shop time to dig them out.

Rumor has it that you and John Baumes are sharing a one bed hotel room for the Chili Bowl, too...

R42U3C2.gif

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, John Williams said:

Rumor has it that you and John Baumes are sharing a one bed hotel room for the Chili Bowl, too...

R42U3C2.gif

John you’re just jealous because you’re not going to see the greatest week of racing to be seen anywhere. Have a great Thanksgiving.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/28/2019 at 11:47 AM, RJO said:

Rumor has it that turbine and Offenhauser engines will be allowed to run at Fonda and STSS in 2020 with a weight break. For those who have them stuck away in the corner of the shop time to dig them out.

How about new Wegner LS 427 DIRT Spec motor , At 2019 PRI Show .....$18,900 W/O carb......$19,500  W Carb 850 Holley ....Sealed Motor wet system , complete all front belts , pulleys ...$6000. estimated rebuild cost ......W/16 has won Oswego .....Eastern States 150 ....this will work with rite weight breaks......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/28/2019 at 8:53 AM, The Rabbitt said:

Not to pick apart your arguement, but sprints have it to, domed wings, flat wings... but by in large yes, you can just about race anywhere...

 

I noticed you left out the other "modifieds"...  those cars, IMCA, UMP, eMod etc are just as big of a dumpster fire on differing rules as we are if not worse... 

There are literally thousands of open wheel mods out there, and there isn’t a ton of crossover between the sanctions as far as drivers go. It’s apples to oranges compared to the northeast. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

According to the aArn article and his dougs  dirt diary interview Steve Paine needed that new motor of his to win and keep up with Sheppard at outlaw. Priced at $36,000 outta Illinois. And a quick check on the pro power website a similar Big cubic inch ford motor that Jake bought for rocky is listed at 43,000 on their website. 
open motors are quickly becoming similar to the big blocks! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, 20/20 vision said:

According to the aArn article and his dougs  dirt diary interview Steve Paine needed that new motor of his to win and keep up with Sheppard at outlaw. Priced at $36,000 outta Illinois. And a quick check on the pro power website a similar Big cubic inch ford motor that Jake bought for rocky is listed at 43,000 on their website. 
open motors are quickly becoming similar to the big blocks! 

The Mullins 13 degree 415 that Steve Paine has is under 30k. That engine package starts at just over 20k. You can call Mullins, they will spec it out and tell you what Paine is running.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/28/2019 at 3:28 PM, John Williams said:

Rumor has it that you and John Baumes are sharing a one bed hotel room for the Chili Bowl, too...

R42U3C2.gif

Wtf is this????? 🖕🏽

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, jumper12a said:

Wtf is this????? 🖕🏽

Scene from "Planes, Trains and Automobiles." Moments after that scene, John Candy and Steve Martin each discover that Candy's left hand is not between two pillows.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
















×