Sign in to follow this  
racermurray

Rolling Wheels Rumor's resurface

I’m sure jumper is correct that those races are counted on a stat sheet....but winning basically a consi after everyone left eldora is not a sds win to anyone else Dave Blaney included. 

• Like 2

I would say Volusia counts as it's open to anyone but Eldora invitational doesn't count. it's the same argument used as to why hearn has 5 less wins counted towards career win total. 

as for who gets to race in that race and maybe john can answer this but how is this actually determined? I used to think it was for guys that have never won a sds race but this year phelps, hearn, johnson were in it and in 17 half the field was former winners/sds regs

5 hours ago, stratton87 said:

I would say Volusia counts as it's open to anyone but Eldora invitational doesn't count. it's the same argument used as to why hearn has 5 less wins counted towards career win total. 

Just playing Devil's Advocate here, but wouldn't the opposite of "invitational" be "exclusional?"

If so, then the 2018 and 2017 versions of the Outlaw 200 should carry asterisks. :stinker:

15 minutes ago, BobMiller said:

Just playing Devil's Advocate here, but wouldn't the opposite of "invitational" be "exclusional?"

If so, then the 2018 and 2017 versions of the Outlaw 200 should carry asterisks. :stinker:

"invitational" and "exclusional" to me seem to be the same thing. Not opposites

If you are not on the invitation list,  then you are excluded, no?

• Like 1

I don’t know if a race where most of the “invited” teams that have a chance of winning decline and go home, should even have a victory lane, never the less be counted as a sds win. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, leroy said:

"invitational" and "exclusional" to me seem to be the same thing. Not opposites

If you are not on the invitation list,  then you are excluded, no?

Exclusional is saying "everyone welcome but this guy" who just happens to be the odds on favorite. 

On 11/30/2019 at 2:20 PM, jumper12a said:

Once again you will be proven that you have no clue about what you speak of.

Here is a list of first time Super DIRTcar Series winners, including Volusia & Eldora non-point/invitational events, 2013-2019.

2019 - Dave Blaney @ Eldora, Demetrios Drellos @ Malta

2018 - Tyler Siri @ Volusia, Ryan Susice @ Merrittville

2017 - Ryan Watt @ Bridgeport, Billy Whittaker @ Eldora, Peter Britten @ Sharon

2015 - Neal Williams @ Volusia, Chad Brachmann @ Ohsweken, Mat Williamson @ Merrittville, Tim Kerr @ Charlotte

2014 - Justin Haers @ Volusia, Erick Rudolph @ Drummondville

2013 - Rick Laubach @ Volusia, Carey Terrance @ Cornwall, Billy Dunn @ Syracuse

RIP72

Come on, this has to be a joke. You can make your point without going down this road. In doing so you lose credibility in your argument. The original comment talked about the SDS. You shifted the goalposts here by adding non point events and invitationals. Why not throw in heat races while you were at it? 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, JohnyC said:

Come on, this has to be a joke. You can make your point without going down this road. In doing so you lose credibility in your argument. The original comment talked about the SDS. You shifted the goalposts here by adding non point events and invitationals. Why not throw in heat races while you were at it? 

That’s your opinion. Fact is, the races @ Volusia & Eldora are listed as part of the SDS schedule & go in the record books as a SDS win. Whether you or anyone else agrees with it, that’s the way it is. Regardless of Volusia & Eldora, my point was easily made when responding to RIP72 & his silly no new winners comment. We’ve had plenty of them over the last 7 seasons.

Just if anyone cares I think it was Andy Harpel's RoC series that was first called the Working Man's Series.

7 hours ago, jumper12a said:

That’s your opinion. Fact is, the races @ Volusia & Eldora are listed as part of the SDS schedule & go in the record books as a SDS win. Whether you or anyone else agrees with it, that’s the way it is. Regardless of Volusia & Eldora, my point was easily made when responding to RIP72 & his silly no new winners comment. We’ve had plenty of them over the last 7 seasons.

The addition of volusia and the consi at eldora skews the numbers drastically, on top of that the sds runs typically about 25 races a year. It’s very easy to look up the season stats and realize a handful of guys make up the top 5 an outrageous percentage of those races. The fact that drellos and Britten winning sds races was such a huge upset, as every announcer and fan has said, is a big story because it’s super rare.  

• Like 1

So, to be fair, how's the grass look on Deyo's side of the fence as far as diversity of winners?

The same guy that dominates SDS has dominated the north and south STSS series and won the American Racer points fund this year.  Friesen would be an even bigger threat to the points and feature win stats if NASCAR wasn't in the picture.

I really don't see much diversity on that side either.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, inthecuse said:

So, to be fair, how's the grass look on Deyo's side of the fence as far as diversity of winners?

The same guy that dominates SDS has dominated the north and south STSS series and won the American Racer points fund this year.  Friesen would be an even bigger threat to the points and feature win stats if NASCAR wasn't in the picture.

I really don't see much diversity on that side either.

That’s a fair question, from what I can find on his site....79 races..29 winners...since 2014, when I spoke of non professional race teams having a chance at winning an event, I meant guys like Brian Malcolm, Rusty Smith, Shaun Walker, Wade Hendrickson, Jeremy Smith, Chad Cook, Mike Gular, Marc Johnson, Dan Creeden, Jerry Higbie, Jordan Watson, Jackie Brown etc.....These guys all have 9 to 5 jobs, and have all won stss events, along with others. There is a lot of money and talent on that side as well, but I meant that the sds is dominated by the professional huge money teams, the results support that. The chances of upsets or relatively unknowns cracking off top 5s are extremely rare, not so much on the deyo series. 

57 minutes ago, Tim#15 said:

So getting back to the original topic of this post has anyone talked to Jerimie Corcoran to see how his talks with RWR owners are going?

Surely you jest. Now you're asking people to actually get facts when it's much easier to make shit up and see how far it flies on the internet.

• Like 4

I’m kinda surprised jeremie is still interested. His first venture there didn’t end the best. When he was talking about this earlier in the summer, he said he was actually over there mowing and doing a bit of work but could not nail down anything solid to further his efforts. He’s certainly the guy that could do it, he’s very motivated and not afraid of work, but with another passing winter underway the needed repair list can only grow. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, rpm72x said:

That’s a fair question, from what I can find on his site....79 races..29 winners...since 2014, when I spoke of non professional race teams having a chance at winning an event, I meant guys like Brian Malcolm, Rusty Smith, Shaun Walker, Wade Hendrickson, Jeremy Smith, Chad Cook, Mike Gular, Marc Johnson, Dan Creeden, Jerry Higbie, Jordan Watson, Jackie Brown etc.....These guys all have 9 to 5 jobs, and have all won stss events, along with others. There is a lot of money and talent on that side as well, but I meant that the sds is dominated by the professional huge money teams, the results support that. The chances of upsets or relatively unknowns cracking off top 5s are extremely rare, not so much on the deyo series. 

I took a quick look at the STSS north series results and there's a lot of popular sds guys in the top 10.

I agree 100% that it would be nice to attend a SDS race and have 10-15 strong contenders that might win that night. Right now, you have about 3-5. 

Unfortunately, Deyo's series is still in the growing stages so the big money teams will be going towards his events as well.  You'll have the same situation as SDS which will squeeze the little guy out of a first place finish. Without figuring out an exact number, I know that definitely happened this year with Matt following both north and south. If Matt wasn't there, your winner stats would look a lot more diverse and exciting.

On ‎11‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 3:05 PM, zmahoney21 said:

Pave it! 

Not a bad suggestion right here.... Something different...

Paving Rolling Wheels might get a little interest in the beginning, but that would guarantee death in the short future. In the current NY asphalt world, Holland, Lancaster, Spencer, Chemung, Evans Mills and Adirondack Aren't exactly setting the world on fire. Perry is doing well I am told, but this only recently and after clinging to life support for over a decade. That leaves Oswego, which probably would be troubled without Super DIRT Week to fall back on.

53 minutes ago, BobMiller said:

Paving Rolling Wheels might get a little interest in the beginning, but that would guarantee death in the short future. In the current NY asphalt world, Holland, Lancaster, Spencer, Chemung, Evans Mills and Adirondack Aren't exactly setting the world on fire. Perry is doing well I am told, but this only recently and after clinging to life support for over a decade. That leaves Oswego, which probably would be troubled without Super DIRT Week to fall back on.

Your 100% correct....pavement tracks in NY don’t draw enough pavement cars to begin with, then some (the wheels would have to be included) attempt to bring our dirt cars on pavement, which is cool once. Guys will not corner themselves with purpose built cars or constantly turn the cars over so that they can race more than once a weekend. If your going to pave rolling wheels, set a Home Depot there as well because there will be no racing. 

2 hours ago, inthecuse said:

I took a quick look at the STSS north series results and there's a lot of popular sds guys in the top 10.

I agree 100% that it would be nice to attend a SDS race and have 10-15 strong contenders that might win that night. Right now, you have about 3-5. 

Unfortunately, Deyo's series is still in the growing stages so the big money teams will be going towards his events as well.  You'll have the same situation as SDS which will squeeze the little guy out of a first place finish. Without figuring out an exact number, I know that definitely happened this year with Matt following both north and south. If Matt wasn't there, your winner stats would look a lot more diverse and exciting.

Very true, the more money offered the more it attracts the big names. They are gunna win anywhere. The stss format/rules are what brings diversity into the finishing order. Most races are draw, and most are 50 laps and under. A weekly guy at his home track has a legitimate shot at holding on to a win or top 5 in 40 or 50 laps. Tough to do so in 100. American racers and small blocks are easier to drive so it creates more competition. 

Cayuga Speedway “Canada” paved was once a top Canadian track in the 70s & 80s was shut down and left alone to get to a very rundown state for almost 25 years. It was purchased about 3 or 4 yrs ago and is now know as Jukasa Speedway into an ABSOLUTE CROWN JEWEL IN ALL OF CANADA ONCE AGAIN. ROLLING WHEELS has not sat Idol as long as the former Cayuga Speedway, it just takes the right Ownership with TLC to rebuild Rolling Wheels to be the Best it can be. 

• Like 3

On 12/1/2019 at 11:50 PM, jumper12a said:

Fair enough. I don’t agree that a 20 lap race that features 17 invited drivers should be regarded the same way as a 100 lap feature with an open field, but in this day and age with participation ribbons and an everyone gets a prize mentality I shouldn’t be shocked. 

20 minutes ago, JohnyC said:

Fair enough. I don’t agree that a 20 lap race that features 17 invited drivers should be regarded the same way as a 100 lap feature with an open field, but in this day and age with participation ribbons and an everyone gets a prize mentality I shouldn’t be shocked. 

Not every SDS race, over several decades, has been 100 laps. They vary from a 30 lap feature @ Volusia, or 40 laps @ Charlotte, to 200 laps @ Oswego. Many years ago, Glenn Donnelly had an invitational race @ Syracuse during SDW. It was 15 laps, The Winners Classic. That was always counted as a win according to the D.I.R.T. record books. Nobody through a tantrum about it then, let it go.

The Winners Classic was one of my favorite events during SDW and I was pissed when they cut it from the schedule. But is invitational the right word? The criteria for qualifying was winning a feature that year at any DIRT sanctioned track, so there WAS a qualifying method in place for anyone to attempt.