Sign in to follow this  
J. Downing

2020 Fonda 200!!!!!!

November 28, 2019 (Fonda, New York)

Fonda 200 Is BACK again!

After signing the lease in Fonda NY, promoter Brett Deyo had a vision of bringing back a 200 lap race at the Fonda Speedway. The return of the Fonda 200 became reality and paid a staggering $53,000 to win! Stewart Friesen outdueled Matt Sheppard to pick up the historic paycheck at the end of 3 days of racing at the famed 1/2 mile speedway. 

In 2020, the dates for the $53,000 to win Fonda 200 will be September 17th, 18th, and 19th! The 200 will also pay $1,000 to start, which will make the $125,000+ total purse from 2019 rise to well over $130,000!

More details to follow at a later time. Who will take home another historic paycheck in 2020 at the Fonda Speedway? 

Happy Thanksgiving!

• Like 3

I can't believe Fonda scheduled against LOL.

Now that that's out of the way, glad to see Fonda come back with such a large purse and not make it a one time thing.  

They are so close together this is gonna be a travesty with not enough cars and fans to go around thou. Just a terrible terrible shame. 😭 Whatever will people do now on deciding where to go? 

Brett could schedule in Jan and there would be another race at the same time!!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'll be at Fonda camping again. I love the 200 lappers. The owners and racers can decide what purse to race for, and if they are complaining about payouts and how expensive it is to race all season, keep on going to the same tracks and same races.

I'll be at Fonda just about every week. I'm sure there will be some weather and a graduation or wedding to screw up being there every week. It's my favorite track because I grew up at the track and in the pits. Besides that, most of the time I can count on the mods being able to pass, which is not the case at all tracks.

I'll hit up three or four SDS races at brewerton, malta, and weedsport. I'll also attend as many of the STSS races as I can, which is usually  a few more because I like the draw format instead of the time trials, and there are more of them close enough to me to not have to use a vacation day the next day. But, unless I go to Oswego or Eastern States, I will not get the opportunity to see all the big name mods because it will not be allowed at this time. It's no conspiracy theory, it's a fact. Tracks are struggling  with car counts and fan counts and even the crowds at a lot of the SDS races are  getting smaller at some of the venues. But I guess the counts will grow if we keep making the fans and driver/owners choose which races to attend.

• Like 2

Draw format, redraw the whole field like the 76er (that’s exciting ) and bring back live pit stops like a traditionally 200 lapper. This millennial  version of a  100 left brake is weak! 

• Like 1

hour ago, 20/20 vision said:

Draw format, redraw the whole field like the 76er (that’s exciting ) and bring back live pit stops like a traditionally 200 lapper. This millennial  version of a  100 left brake is weak! 

Im told its pretty expensive to buy and install a quick fuel set up needed for hot pit stops, that's the main reason it wasn't done in 2019, prob. wont see it in 2020 either for the same reason.

I wasn’t going in ‘19. Not going in ‘20. He could schedule it whenever he wanted. Still wouldn’t make me want to drive 3 hrs to see it. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Mike Coleates said:

I wasn’t going in ‘19. Not going in ‘20. He could schedule it whenever he wanted. Still wouldn’t make me want to drive 3 hrs to see it. 

Feel better now?

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, J. Downing said:

Im told its pretty expensive to buy and install a quick fuel set up needed for hot pit stops, that's the main reason it wasn't done in 2019, prob. wont see it in 2020 either for the same reason.

I've read here that it's about $1500 for the quick fill. 

But the add-on issues -- it's really not safe to have guys running to fuel a race car with other cars hurtling around pit road. It was not uncommon to have a lot of near misses with guys almost getting run over on pit road back when the ran the 200s for the last few weeks of the fall.

And you have to train your pit guys to do live pit stops -- it really is an advantage to the better funded teams that can wrangle and train a full pit crew for the whole weekend.

I prefer the halfway stops for the safety aspect alone, but I'm all for anything that doesn't actively hurt the small budget weekly racer.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, J. Downing said:

does the cost really matter when pretty much everyone that goes already has one? 

• Thanks 1

not everyone has one... back in the day yes they did.. but over time most do not use them....

So we can have 2/3/4 chassis and engines laying on a teams shop floor. Both Hoosier & American racers both mounted. Sail panels or a traditional bodies. With in the last 10 years add all these full containment seats, HANS restraint Devices, last 18 months dirtcar introduced “ The fire system” for $1200. 

Its a modified 200 lapper!  live pit stops make the event better (more value intrigue, drama, added storylines) and it’s tradition. The money for a quick fill system is non-sense. It’s modified racing for crying out loud not slingshot racing. 

• Like 1

20/20  I agree with what your saying, as I stated, what I have been told. Doesn't mean its the truth,  I have stated for years, there is more crying in dirt car racing than any other sport. NO ONE races for money, yet they ALL bitch about the costs of racing. More owners than drivers, but there has been a fair amount of both. Pick a track, race there, and be happy there is a place to race. That's all way to much to ask. Same goes for many fans, no matter what they get, they always want more of something. Im happy to go 10 min to the track, enjoy the racing, food, drinks and friends along with healthy friendly debate over who is gonna do what each and every week. The feeling at Fonda in 2019 was as close to what it was 30 years ago that we have ever felt! I cant wait to feel that again in 2020. I really don't care if there isn't 5 new teams running, the car counts each week had multiple people that could win actually each week, even when Stew was in the house so to speak. Coming into 2020 with the new surface, the fans knowing what they are going to get after Deyo's 1st season, there isn't honestly much to be bitched about. Its all up to the owners and drivers where they wanna go, what there reason for racing is week in and week out. There is NO need to have stuff to run Friday, Saturday, Sunday since NO one races for money around here. That's just a quote from several teams and the facts of watching people not show up close to home, to run for less somewhere else. The endless debate and bitching over who is racing where each week, what track is gonna screw over what track, what is DIRT gonna do this year to non DIRT tracks, how much does a burger cost, why isn't the beer cold, all will continue, as will all those that like to engage in the endless back and forth! Have a Merry Christmas and a safe and enjoyable New Year 2020!!!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Oh I forgot to add, Prostocks weekly purse min will be $800.00 each week to win, add that to the list of great news!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J. Downing said:

20/20  I agree with what your saying, as I stated, what I have been told. Doesn't mean its the truth,  I have stated for years, there is more crying in dirt car racing than any other sport. NO ONE races for money, yet they ALL bitch about the costs of racing. More owners than drivers, but there has been a fair amount of both. Pick a track, race there, and be happy there is a place to race. That's all way to much to ask. Same goes for many fans, no matter what they get, they always want more of something. Im happy to go 10 min to the track, enjoy the racing, food, drinks and friends along with healthy friendly debate over who is gonna do what each and every week. The feeling at Fonda in 2019 was as close to what it was 30 years ago that we have ever felt! I cant wait to feel that again in 2020. I really don't care if there isn't 5 new teams running, the car counts each week had multiple people that could win actually each week, even when Stew was in the house so to speak. Coming into 2020 with the new surface, the fans knowing what they are going to get after Deyo's 1st season, there isn't honestly much to be bitched about. Its all up to the owners and drivers where they wanna go, what there reason for racing is week in and week out. There is NO need to have stuff to run Friday, Saturday, Sunday since NO one races for money around here. That's just a quote from several teams and the facts of watching people not show up close to home, to run for less somewhere else. The endless debate and bitching over who is racing where each week, what track is gonna screw over what track, what is DIRT gonna do this year to non DIRT tracks, how much does a burger cost, why isn't the beer cold, all will continue, as will all those that like to engage in the endless back and forth! Have a Merry Christmas and a safe and enjoyable New Year 2020!!!

How about Deyo's  Florida deal first year SB ,BB show Thursday $5000. Friday $7500 , Saturday $10,000.....or save your equipment for Valusia  next week for $2000. to win during mid week and $5000  Saturday  which is a little better than Deyo's 602 Florida swing .......I belief DIRT has been paying $2000. to win for 25 years or less for Mid Week shows......but they don't race for money they say and travel 3000 miles to race ....Sharp business men....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Im sorry, I didn't know EVERY driver from Fonda went to Florida to race in the winter. 

20 hours ago, Mike Coleates said:

what a dumb statement....prob the first one to cry if a track went away too

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, floridamod said:

what a dumb statement....prob the first one to cry if a track went away too

It’s an honest statement. I don’t care for Fonda or Brett Deyo. Plain & simple. We all have choices to make. I choose not to support Fonda. I wish nothing but the best for the fans & the track itself. 
 I’d never wish for someone’s home track to go away,but sometimes tracks go away for a reason. No tears from me. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Scheduled same day as Grandview Speedway’s Freedom 76. Grandview mentioned that they’re planning something special for the 2020 edition. Probably only lose Gular and Pauch , as far as drivers go. I believe it WILL affect the number of fans as I saw quite a few “regular Grandview fans” when I went to the Fonda 200 last year.

• Like 1

So that's three big shows all scheduled on the same date already with SDS race at LoL, Grandview 76er and Fonda 200...granted pretty good distance between each track so I'm sure all fields should do decent, just won't see any massive car counts at any of the three. Probably a good guess would be 40ish give or take a few at each one.

• Like 1

Over/under right now is 59 cars at Grandview for the Sixer. The only outsider from NY last year was Bobby Varin and I believe they had 68. Anybody wanna put $20 and take the under ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, WheelsUpHammerDown10 said:

So that's three big shows all scheduled on the same date already with SDS race at LoL, Grandview 76er and Fonda 200...granted pretty good distance between each track so I'm sure all fields should do decent, just won't see any massive car counts at any of the three. Probably a good guess would be 40ish give or take a few at each one.

Grandview averaged 41 cars weekly and was never under 34 this past season. They will be at least in the upper 50s with the NES/Bridgeport cars that always show up for the Freedom 76.

Honestly, how many cars from cananduiga or even Fonda are going to grandview. Or even Fonda to cananduiga or the other way around? They ain't conflicting shows. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, dan dan said:

Honestly, how many cars from cananduiga or even Fonda are going to grandview. Or even Fonda to cananduiga or the other way around? They ain't conflicting shows. 

Fonda and Canandaigua I think you could argue are going to split 15ish cars that could go either way. Canandaigua will have its 15-20 regulars that don’t tour and Fonda will it’s same core group. Fonda will get some of the STSS guys and LoL might pick up a few CNY guys that aren’t tour regulars. Be interesting to see where Sheppard, Decker, Williamson, Rudolph etc. end up.

and my apologies on Grandview, my number was short for them. I would agree that 50-60 would be a better count for it.