Somewhere on here, as I was researching Old Local Speedways, someone mentioned the demise of Carroll's Grove. Spent a couple long hours on just a couple months on 1952 and found Bernie Carroll's return to racing after the Blue Laws debacle that, along with the purported drought of 51, curtailed any racing. Anyway, in the Troy Record I am finding some race results from about four or five tracks. Problem is there is no Sunday paper and a lot of hit or miss. https://www.newspapers.com/search/#lnd=1&ymd=1950-07-05&t=630 This is a link. Free for 7 days Hope it helps. I screenshotted until my arthritis called it a day. Trying to collate some race records. 

Kevin

image.png

fultonsearch.com is a 100% free newspaper search site where you can find anything in NYS as far back as the mid 19th century....I believe that Bob Miller uses this site for most of his research & so do I

https://fultonhistory.com/Fulton.html 

Getting to know how to get this site to be productive in search returns is a bit tricky and you need to be patient. Everything you are looking for is in there, you just have to use the correct search terms to find it. I have found that using vague search terms instead of precise search terms is FAR more productive. One more thing... there must be some kind of bot within the site that remembers your search history. I have spent several hours on several occasions trying to dig up ANYTHING in print from a track located just north of the PA border called Addison Hill Raceway and turned up absolutely nothing. Giving up, I switched my searching to another track just outside the City of Elmira called Glider City Speedway. Again, after several hours of using different search terms, I found nothing. BUT... now I am getting Addison Hill returns. I still haven't figured that out. The key to success is being patient and refusing to give up. 

Fulton adds new content almost constantly, so you have to check every now and then for what you are looking for. They are currently up to 47 million newspapers in the archive and have recently branched out to other states. A lot of Pennsylvania is in there, as well as Kentucky and Minnesota. 

If anyone is looking for search tips on this site, I am more than willing to help. I'll bet my IP address is at the top of the list for visitors.

From Danny Ody's photo albums, a still photo from Carroll's Grove...

12122706_686760728125433_446548614234023

Also from Danny Ody's video collection, 40 seconds of Carroll's Grove film...

• Like 1

Thanks guys. I am deeply appreciative. My apologies for not realizing that it was, in fact, 1952 when Carroll's Grove seemed to disappear. For years I've been planning on collating drivers from the Capital Region and only recently spent months doing so. All for a simple dice game for personal use and a possible project for my daughter's father-in-law who used to hang out and peddle programs at Pine Bowl. Thanks for all the advice and information. I never knew that so many of the drivers I've known and known of went so far back in time. Funny thing is I wound up using tracks from NJ, CT, DEL, PA and only Middletown NY in my initial research due to the ARRA site. Thanks Bob Miller; it's interesting that search often leads to a multitude of gold nuggets. Like here. I was only looking for Pine Bowl and found a Pandora's Box full of too many tempting tidbits. Enough of me now. Take care all and be well.

Kevin