Sign in to follow this  
BobMiller

Any computer geeks out there???

I am looking for a solution to a problem I encountered about 2 or 3 months ago and haven't been able to correct it on my own.

I used to use a tablet for road trips and as a second computer, but it finally shit the bed on me. This happened almost immediately after I got out of the hospital back in the middle of August. I made a promise to myself and my girlfriend that I wouldn't spend 8 to 10 hours at a time on my main computer because sitting in my office chair was a major contributor to my legs swelling. The thing that was nice about the tablet was that it was extremely portable and I could use it while laying down on the couch if I wanted. The problem with it was that my hands are big and it was a touch screen, so the screen was always dirty.

That was a huge decision maker when I replaced it. Sniffing around on craigslist, I found a Sony all in one desktop for less than the cost of a new tablet. And better yet, it came with a normal sized mouse and keyboard so the dirty screen was no longer going to be an issue. This all in one unit is still portable and fits inside of my travel bag when I do road trips. It also has a bunch of different card readers built in, so uploading pictures or video isn't a major chore if I need to.

But here is the problem - the person I bought it from installed Windows 10 on it and it won't let me copy and paste links from other websites to this forum. I can copy... but it won't let me paste.

There is going to come a time when Microsoft is going to stop giving updates for Windows 7, I know that. Learning Windows 10 is a must if I am going to keep active on the internet. But no matter what I do, I can't figure out how to copy and paste links using Windows 10.

So who here smarter than me can tell me what the secret is?

Bob, there are a bunch of reasons that cause that issue in Windows 10. Without posting 10 lengthy potential solutions that can be found online, I would start off with making sure Windows AND "other products" from Microsoft update are checked off and updated. I would also recommend turning off automatic updating, and manually check and install them once a month.

If that doesn't work, I would then Google rdpclip.exe and follow the instructions on how to restart that Windows process or PM me.

Funny-Old-Man.gif

On 11/30/2019 at 8:41 AM, racer80 said:

Remove windows 10 & install windows 8.1....it's much better than windows 10 

Sorry that is absolute not true. Windows 8 and 8.1 was specifically designed to work best with touch screens. Windows 10 is much faster with the same peripherals as windows 8.1.  Windows 8.1 is the equivalent of Windows ME or Windows Vista. 

7 hours ago, paulgarrow said:

You can also plug in a mouse instead of using the touch screen.

That all depends on the model and make of the tablet. Mine was an extremely basic Android based Lenovo. For plug in features, it had a slot for a micro SD card, an earphone jack and the jack for the charger. That's it.