Sign in to follow this  
BobMiller

It's hard to believe that this video is 10 years old already...

But it's true. I shot this video on Night #6 of the Winter Nationals at Volusia Speedway Park on February 8th, 2009.  What we are looking at is the UMP Modified B Main. More than that, we are listening to announcers Joe Linebarier and Rick Eschelman having fun every time they call the progress of driver Ryan Aho in the 71a car.

• Like 4

WOW.  They just couldn't help themselves. 🤣  Eschelman left almost speechless after "put that in your Aho" comment.

On 12/14/2019 at 9:55 PM, BobMiller said:

Problem?

Hilarious? Yes absolutely so.
Unprofessional? Yes absolutely so.

Maybe I'm old school but I prefer the professionalism and excitement of guys like Joe Marotta and Gary Montgomery.  I guess I need to embrace the changing landscape of announcers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, P&T Racing said:

if ya got nothing nice to say.....

Now now.......everyone's entitled to their own opinion........no matter how wrong it may be.

• Haha 1

Joe Marotta seen more smoke that wasn’t smoke, more flats that were not flats, pronounced the last name of family members racing together differently and had the wrong guy as the fastest guy on the track more often than not. Joe is no Shane Andrews....so I guess you could consider him more professional, but he certainly was not accurate. Announcers are under appreciated, people have no idea how much skill it takes to keep a crowd entertained while also providing information. They are good for the drivers, sponsors, tracks, series etc. I have my own personal favorites and a few I never overly enjoyed listening to but I have respect for all of them and what they do. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, jsw14886 said:

Hilarious? Yes absolutely so.
Unprofessional? Yes absolutely so.

Maybe I'm old school but I prefer the professionalism and excitement of guys like Joe Marotta and Gary Montgomery.  I guess I need to embrace the changing landscape of announcers.

Wow you don’t think Joe & Gary took some light hearted jabs at drivers? You must hate Shane. Have you ever been to a USAC race where they refer to the starters as wiggly & jiggly? I agree pull the stick out. Have some fun man. 

I had a direct PA feed to my camera and was wearing a headset to hear them do it as it was happening. I'm surprised you can't see the camera bouncing around from me laughing, but I thought it was hysterical. It definitely caught me off guard. The only reason I even thought of that video was because I saw Joe Linebarier on facebook and friend requested him. I've tried to get Rick Eschelman to get a facebook account 100 times (even as late as theis past October) but he won't do it. 

I don't know what "professional" is any more. I watch Mike and Molly on primetime TV and can't believe what they get away with. I've heard Jim King say he fell on his ass over the PA, Shane Andrews tiptoes up to the edge all the time, drivers in interviews use light cusswords occasionally, and depending on the circumstance - they can get heavy. When Paul Szmal and Doug Elkins were a team at Brewerton, they used to get a little risky at times too. 

I watched an NFL football game last year where one guy was running for all he was worth down the sideline. One of his team members came across the field to help fend off an opponent who was catching up to the ball carrier, colliding with both and stopping the run. After shaking off the cobwebs, in disgust the ball carrier turned to his opponent and said "What da F&@#, nigga?!?!?!" and that was as audible as the commentators. 

Language doesn't offend me, but you know what does? Members of the clergy pretending to represent church and getting busted for sexual misconduct. But hey... that's just me. 

• Like 1

Like you, I am not offended by language, people say stuff all the time that they would never back up, especially on the internet. But I do find our choices of language interesting. Such as your decision to censor the "f word" but not censor a word that a portion of our population finds extremely offensive. This is why I don't think society can make a blanket statement of censorship, because everyone finds different things offensive on a different scale from the person next to them.

Again, I don't care. I think everyone should be able to say whatever they want, as long as they know they could lose friendships or suffer physical damage if they cross the line. I wish people in our society took more responsibility on themselves and changed the channel or moved away from anything that upset them instead of complaining about it and enjoying being a "victim" of being offended. Life is too short to not have a sense of humor about things, especially when they don't change anything about your day-to-day life.

You are 100% right with your clergy example. Actions speak louder than words.

I don't see where it's any worse than any other announcer has done. It's certainly better than being plain and boring. Keeps people listening to see what they say next. And if it's me, I'd be like hell yes keep it up I'm getting a lot of air time. 

.  Now that is one hell of a finish!   Thanks Bob for posting  that video

All the food one dollar while it lasts 🤣