Sign in to follow this  
premiumdiesel

NASCAR Mods RoC @ Pocono

I ran across a video of a 50 plus car field that raced at Pocono. Can anyone tell me why they dont race there anymore and how long did they race there ??

The the track ended up taking out the 3/4 mile track the mods used in order to make infield upgrades for the Cup series. 

Supermodifieds also ran on the 3/4 mile oval at Pocono,  the mod race always drew 100+ cars. 1981-1991 on the 3/4, 1977-1980 on the 2 1/2 mile tri-oval. The late Tom Baldwin had the final event won until he broke a motor with about 4 laps to go.

That was always an amazing race to attend. Tons of what was called street stocks back then also. Don Pratt was killed in a modified there as well.

Where I grew up near Orange County, my dad and I would venture to Pocono for the NASCAR Winston Cup events.  It was only two hours away.  In 83 my dad decided to go to the Race of Champions and wow did we stumble on a great event.  Stumble might be the wrong word as it was there for years, like mentioned earlier first on the big track and then 3/4 mile. But, a find on our end.

It had a real big race feel and there were quite a few people there.  Felt like it was a great home for the ROC.  Unfortunately time saw the 3/4 mile get taken out.  Saw Jimmy Spencer win and glad I got the one visit to the 3/4 mile. 

Sorry is there any pictures of the 3/4 track I always just assumed they were on the big track for those events

1 hour ago, Racerfan2003 said:

Sorry is there any pictures of the 3/4 track I always just assumed they were on the big track for those events

Here are highlights from the last ROC at Pocono in 1991.

I was fortunate enough to crew on the 1990 National Parts Peddler street stock winner driven by Wade Gagner. 40 lapper, 3600 to win plus a case of Coors Extra Gold for every lap led so we got 17 cases.

• Like 1