Sign in to follow this  

For Immediate Release
Re:  70th Season Opener

70TH CONSECUTIVE YEAR OF RACING SET FOR SATURDAY, APRIL 4TH WITH ANNUAL GRIT CRATE SPORTSMAN SERIES “COLD CRACKER” EVENT. 

KIRKWOOD, NY…The historic quarter clay oval at Five Mile Point Speedway will begin the 70th consecutive year of racing on Saturday, April 4th.  The annual “Cold Cracker” for the GRIT Crate Sportsman will headline the opening day of racing.

Saturday night weekly racing will continue throughout April and the summer months featuring the Big Block/Small Block Modifieds, Crate Sportsman, Factory Stocks, 600 Modifieds, Front Wheel Drive Four Cylinders and Junior Slingshot/600 Modifieds.  Approximately 16 races are on tap with a full schedule to be released in the weeks to come.

A big calendar of events and special promotions will again dot the schedule upon it’s release.  The 70th Anniversary Season will also see some former stars from the past returning to competition.  

Fan-favorite, DIRTcar Hall of Fame Member and one of the original 50 Greatest Driver’s at Five Mile Point Speedway, Carl Nagel has recently announced he is expecting to compete in several Modified races this season.  This year would remarkably ear-mark his eighth decade of racing at the speedway.  This is believed to be a national record. 

Three-time RPM National Promoter of the Year Regional Award winner Andrew Harpell will return to lead the operations of the family owned landmark speedway.  Harpell brings a wealth of experience to the speedway for this big anniversary season. 

For additional information please log on to www.5milepointspeedway.com.  You may also email the speedway directly at fivemilepoint1@aol.com. Five Mile Point Speedway – “The Home Speedway of the Southern Tier” where kids 12 and younger are admitted FREE to every race event!

-30-

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

And the return of the STSS...  

• Like 2

12 hours ago, RJO said:

For Immediate Release
Re:  70th Season Opener

70TH CONSECUTIVE YEAR OF RACING SET FOR SATURDAY, APRIL 4TH WITH ANNUAL GRIT CRATE SPORTSMAN SERIES “COLD CRACKER” EVENT. 

KIRKWOOD, NY…The historic quarter clay oval at Five Mile Point Speedway will begin the 70th consecutive year of racing on Saturday, April 4th.  The annual “Cold Cracker” for the GRIT Crate Sportsman will headline the opening day of racing.

Saturday night weekly racing will continue throughout April and the summer months featuring the Big Block/Small Block Modifieds, Crate Sportsman, Factory Stocks, 600 Modifieds, Front Wheel Drive Four Cylinders and Junior Slingshot/600 Modifieds.  Approximately 16 races are on tap with a full schedule to be released in the weeks to come.

A big calendar of events and special promotions will again dot the schedule upon it’s release.  The 70th Anniversary Season will also see some former stars from the past returning to competition.  

Fan-favorite, DIRTcar Hall of Fame Member and one of the original 50 Greatest Driver’s at Five Mile Point Speedway, Carl Nagel has recently announced he is expecting to compete in several Modified races this season.  This year would remarkably ear-mark his eighth decade of racing at the speedway.  This is believed to be a national record. 

Three-time RPM National Promoter of the Year Regional Award winner Andrew Harpell will return to lead the operations of the family owned landmark speedway.  Harpell brings a wealth of experience to the speedway for this big anniversary season. 

For additional information please log on to www.5milepointspeedway.com.  You may also email the speedway directly at fivemilepoint1@aol.com. Five Mile Point Speedway – “The Home Speedway of the Southern Tier” where kids 12 and younger are admitted FREE to every race event!

-30-

So if they race every Saturday and start April 4th, the 16 race schedule would be done by the end of July. Is this something new? I guess I’m just not used to tracks ending their season so early 

After what’s he’s pulled with racers, teams, sponsors and series, what would make his nephews trust him to do business fair in the first place?

• Like 4

14 hours ago, floridamod said:

After what he pulled with his nephews who would want to go there??

Just from what I have read online.  It sure does appear that those who managed the track last year got a royal screwing.

But, I would be willing to bet that many if not most of the fans and racers who were there on Saturday nights in 2019, will be there again in 2020. We shall see in April.

I have never been a huge fan of Five Mile.  Been there perhaps just a handful of times in the last 30 years. 

But I hate to see ANY track close.  Glad to at least read that for now the property will remain open as a race track.  

The STSS race in May is an event that interests me.  Too soon right now to figure .   But I might give the place another shot that weekend.

• Like 1

5 mile always produces awesome racing, just make sure you bring some sealed goggles so you can see it.

• Like 2

Im sure everybody can name a promoter that they feel somehow screwed somebody over in some way or another.  I have seen some great racing at FMP and I am looking forward to attending a show or two this upcoming season.  Why bash a track that seems to be walking a tightrope between staying open and selling to a real estate developer? I like the way the track sits and seating is good. Concessions and admission prices are good. I would strongly suggest checking it out if you have never been there. I would attend more often than 2 or 3 times a year if I lived closer.

• Like 3

I didn’t mean to bash the track, i think it produces awesome racing, but it is dusty as hell. As far as that tightrope, well it’s one that 5 mile will continue on as long as Andy owns and operates it. He only seems invested when he may be able to pocket something off of the place. I have no idea what transpired between him and his nephews, but they seemed to really be pouring a lot of effort into redeeming the place. Why undermine that if the stories are true? It certainly wasn’t in the tracks best interest.