Jump to content



Sign in to follow this  
WheelsUpHammerDown10

Derrick McGrew Jr. 12 years old running BB weekly at Albany-Saratoga

Recommended Posts

Read an article today on a different racing site that Derrick McGrew Jr. at the the ripe age of 12 years old will be running a big block modified in 2020 at Albany-Saratoga.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, burtonfan1995 said:

Tyler Dippel did it too, folks. McGrew is just honest.

I think Dippel is still 12 if I’m not mistaken. 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, con7 said:

I think Dippel is still 12 if I’m not mistaken. 

13. He reached puberty on lap 84 at Eldora last year.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now ... back on subject ....

I've been watching "Little McGrew" come up through the ranks. I don't see him making any waves this year, but he will definitely make an impact in the future. The kid has undeniable natural talent.

i hope he proves me wrong and wins opening night at Malta.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, GasketCase said:

Now ... back on subject ....

I've been watching "Little McGrew" come up through the ranks. I don't see him making any waves this year, but he will definitely make an impact in the future. The kid has undeniable natural talent.

i hope he proves me wrong and wins opening night at Malta.

Sorry Gasket, but once again you & I are going to disagree on a young racer.....I firmly believe that this young man has a ton of talent, but to put a kid at this age behind the wheel of a BB Modified is just plain foolish....their brain which controls reasoning among other things is not fully developed until at least age 17 & IMO is a danger to the adult racers at that age, let alone his own safety....this is just my opinion, but is sure something to think about

  • Like 9
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, racer80 said:

Sorry Gasket, but once again you & I are going to disagree on a young racer.....I firmly believe that this young man has a ton of talent, but to put a kid at this age behind the wheel of a BB Modified is just plain foolish....their brain which controls reasoning among other things is not fully developed until at least age 17 & IMO is a danger to the adult racers at that age, let alone his own safety....this is just my opinion, but is sure something to think about

With a lot of kids ... maybe even with most kids ... I'd agree. But I have never seen this kid lose his cool on the track. You have to give him that much. Guys knock the crap out of him because he's just a kid ( and they forget that his father could twist them into a pretzel) and the kid doesn't get even. He just continues on and finishes the best he can. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, GasketCase said:

Now ... back on subject ....

I've been watching "Little McGrew" come up through the ranks. I don't see him making any waves this year, but he will definitely make an impact in the future. The kid has undeniable natural talent.

i hope he proves me wrong and wins opening night at Malta.

He will be lucky to run a top 10 this year at Malta in all honestly. I love little Mcgrew and he is a great kid but I would have liked to have watched him in the sportsman ranks a few more years and become a bit more seasoned before making such a huge jump to a BB. Even some of the most talented drivers have a hard time adjusting to the power let alone a kid who has a year of rookie and a year of normal sportsman under his belt.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, racer80 said:

Sorry Gasket, but once again you & I are going to disagree on a young racer.....I firmly believe that this young man has a ton of talent, but to put a kid at this age behind the wheel of a BB Modified is just plain foolish....their brain which controls reasoning among other things is not fully developed until at least age 17 & IMO is a danger to the adult racers at that age, let alone his own safety....this is just my opinion, but is sure something to think about

Because the adults racing are always fully developed and reasonable......

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/14/2020 at 4:46 PM, WheelsUpHammerDown10 said:

Read an article today on a different racing site that Derrick McGrew Jr. at the the ripe age of 12 years old will be running a big block modified in 2020 at Albany-Saratoga.

I’m debating buying a new dirt bike for our oldest (he’s 8). I guess this is a sobering reminder of how much money others have. I’m struggling to come to grips with $1,500 on a bike, while these guys are likely dropping somewhere north of $200,000. Yeah, I guess I’m just a little jealous. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, racer80 said:

Sorry Gasket, but once again you & I are going to disagree on a young racer.....I firmly believe that this young man has a ton of talent, but to put a kid at this age behind the wheel of a BB Modified is just plain foolish....their brain which controls reasoning among other things is not fully developed until at least age 17 & IMO is a danger to the adult racers at that age, let alone his own safety....this is just my opinion, but is sure something to think about

I’ve seen 12 year olds act more like adults and behave themselves far better than some 25+ year olds.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ManInTheStands said:

He will be lucky to run a top 10 this year at Malta in all honestly. I love little Mcgrew and he is a great kid but I would have liked to have watched him in the sportsman ranks a few more years and become a bit more seasoned before making such a huge jump to a BB. Even some of the most talented drivers have a hard time adjusting to the power let alone a kid who has a year of rookie and a year of normal sportsman under his belt.

Like I said ... I don't see him making any waves this year, but I hope he proves me wrong. We always, always, always need new drivers coming up through the ranks ... and the more successful they are the more likely they'll stick around. I've seen a lot of them move up faster than I thought they should, and, most times, I was correct. I hope you and I are wrong and the kid wins opening night.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JohnyC said:

I’m debating buying a new dirt bike for our oldest (he’s 8). I guess this is a sobering reminder of how much money others have. I’m struggling to come to grips with $1,500 on a bike, while these guys are likely dropping somewhere north of $200,000. Yeah, I guess I’m just a little jealous. 

The fact that you don't have it, yet, are still trying to get him a dirt bike ... ... that's what your kid will remember.  And that's far more important than winning any race. ... Well ... except on Sunday at SDW maybe

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

McGrew came up through the ranks. He is a solid competitor.

Choosing to run against the best will be the best experience that he can get.

Plus all season long the modifieds started almost every single car that showed up to race.

When 50 or more sportsmans show up, you may not make the feature every week.

All sportsman drivers should be encouraged to move up.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here we go with this again. If the kid has true talent and ability, that will prove itself and his competitors won't mind. If the kid is a nuisance and a detriment to the rest of the field, they'll vote him out.

How come every other activity in the world can have child prodigies except racing?

It makes me laugh when people are so willing to toss junior in a go kart and think nothing of it. I've seen bruises and abrasions, broken fingers, broken wrists, broken arms, broken collar bones, a cracked sternum and dislocated shoulders all from kart racing. But put him in a full roll cage with triple layer fire suits, Nomex underwear, flame out systems, full faced helmets, gloves and shoes, complete with a full containment seat... and everyone gets their panties in a wad.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BobMiller said:



How come every other activity in the world can have child prodigies except racing?

 

Because a competitor can die in the activity being discussed here. What are some examples of those other activities in which the state requires a license, but a promoter/owner does not require competitors to be licensed?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We kill a lot of people in this sport, don't we?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, BobMiller said:

Here we go with this again. If the kid has true talent and ability, that will prove itself and his competitors won't mind. If the kid is a nuisance and a detriment to the rest of the field, they'll vote him out.

How come every other activity in the world can have child prodigies except racing?

It makes me laugh when people are so willing to toss junior in a go kart and think nothing of it. I've seen bruises and abrasions, broken fingers, broken wrists, broken arms, broken collar bones, a cracked sternum and dislocated shoulders all from kart racing. But put him in a full roll cage with triple layer fire suits, Nomex underwear, flame out systems, full faced helmets, gloves and shoes, complete with a full containment seat... and everyone gets their panties in a wad.

Part of the argument is that most can buy a hell of a lot of go carts for the price of a destroyed modified. I’m not for or against this happening but this particular kid, is not experienced enough for this jump. That has little to do with age and more to do with his time in a sportsman and the results that go with it....hopefully he continues to drive with respect and improves as he goes. The fear with this type of a move is if success doesn’t come for a few years....12 year olds can lose interest and focus quite easily...especially when being a lap car each week. 
 

I do agree with you Bob on the safety aspect....these cars are safer than anything on the road today....and the whole “lives are on the line” thing is so far fetched when it comes to dirt modified racing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, rpm72x said:

Part of the argument is that most can buy a hell of a lot of go carts for the price of a destroyed modified. I’m not for or against this happening but this particular kid, is not experienced enough for this jump. That has little to do with age and more to do with his time in a sportsman and the results that go with it....hopefully he continues to drive with respect and improves as he goes. The fear with this type of a move is if success doesn’t come for a few years....12 year olds can lose interest and focus quite easily...especially when being a lap car each week. 
 

I do agree with you Bob on the safety aspect....these cars are safer than anything on the road today....and the whole “lives are on the line” thing is so far fetched when it comes to dirt modified racing. 

So wait, he was racing at 11 in a sportsman? I trust he was winning races and finishing inside the top 5 consistently which is why he is moving up. 
 

And Bob, this isn’t tennis or golf. Operating a race car at 11 or 12 years of age is a not remotely comparable to ball sports. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

His age doesn’t matter from a competitive standpoint. Biologically he should be better then most of his competitors. From a maturity standpoint I don’t how you could say he’s less mature then anyone out there just cause his age. 
However if I own a track, no way I want that liability. God forbid something happens national media attention is now on the track asking how they could allow this and so on

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I dont have a dog in this fight but in my opinion I'm totally against this. I'm not worried as much about anyone's safety but more that I see racers (adult racers) who dont belong in a certain class and just screw up the racing week after week. What's the rush to get him in a BB? Unless someone thinks hes going to Nascar someday. Out of curiosity how did he fare in sportsman? Was he dominant? Average? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
















×