Hello,

Watching the highlights of the Tulsa shootout this weekend i was wondering, what is the difference between the mini mods they run there and our mod lites? 

Could our mod lites run there? If so has any local guys tried running it?

The Tulsa shootout runs 600 Mods ... basically the Xcel 600 Mods, but they allow other manufacturers, too. The cars are supposed to be a 600 Micro Sprint with a dirt Mod body.  They seem to be quite a bit faster than the Slingshots -- despite some absolutely wild wrecks, they have a pretty good safety record, although a driver did get burned pretty badly at Lanco a few years ago (I think Xcel has since added a fire shield to prevent that from happening again).

I think the class is pretty cool, the cars are about $11,000 turn key according to the Xcel website. Locally, the Southern Tier tracks have them visit once in a while and they run an unsanctioned open 600 Mod class every week at Hamlin as well as the Xcel tour. I think they visit Accord once in a while, too?

In Southern PA, they have the Xcel tour which hits the major tracks -- Big Diamond, Grandview, the Bridgeport inner oval and Linda's appear to be staples every year, but they have run at Lincoln, LANCO, Mahoning, Greenwood Valley and Suskie and Path Valley I think. They are great on 1\4 miles and actually do put on a pretty good show on the "bigger tracks" like Grandview and Lincoln.

The Mod Lites are basically "dwarf/Legend cars on steroids," bigger, heavier (1200 lbs vs 900 lbs for a 600 Mod), with motors up to 1200 cc. I think the 600 Mods use chain drive while Mod Lites use a conventional front engine with drive shaft to rear end and axle, like a conventional stock car?

I know there was a racer by the name of Stockman who posted on here years ago who brought his 600 Mod up to Evans Mills (Thunder Alley) when it was dirt, started last and won the race. Still, the 600s are a lot lighter, so I wouldn't want to be in one getting hit by a Mod Light.

• Like 1

Get rid of all of those whiney annoying engine cars and go back to 4cyl Modifieds. I miss Grampa Dirt so much. Was watching one of his races at Dundee a few nights ago.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jack Brady said:

Get rid of all of those whiney annoying engine cars and go back to 4cyl Modifieds. I miss Grampa Dirt so much. Was watching one of his races at Dundee a few nights ago.

Considering that the class is nearly extinct locally, I have to assume that they priced themselves out of existence. Tracks don't drop thriving, healthy classes, especially ones that don't demand a Modified-level purse.

Personally, I often find the small car classes to be enormously entertaining on the right tracks.

I do to, like the 4cyl stocks. I just hate those whiney motorcycle engines. 

• Like 1

Ya its too bad the ship has sailed on mini mods. The mod lites do nothing for me and I'm a bike guy! I'm sure a mod lite would spank an old style mini mod speed wise though. 

Chris Stockham is probably who had it (Corky of Parts Peddler Fames son I think)... Was it a bright orange 44?

2 hours ago, Jack Brady said:

I do to, like the 4cyl stocks. I just hate those whiney motorcycle engines. 

and the fact that it takes forever to run a race because they can't  go 2 laps without someone spinning out & then driving away as soon as the caution is thrown

36 minutes ago, racer80 said:

and the fact that it takes forever to run a race because they can't  go 2 laps without someone spinning out & then driving away as soon as the caution is thrown

Here l thought that was a modified thing😉 jk does any of these track actually have a limit on how many times somebody can do that in a race before they get blackflagged? Just curious?

2 hours ago, racer80 said:

I only go to Brewerton one to three times a year.   The mod lites are more times than not, the best of the night feature by far

• Like 2

21 hours ago, racer80 said:

No different than watching the modifieds slow for a non existent issue then take off once the caution comes out. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1