10 hours ago, inthecuse said:

Can someone fill me in here.  I haven't heard his 2020 plans for racing but how does someone who races full-time (as their career) end up planning a vacation during the start of the racing season and causing a conflict??

No points , so unless someone wants to foot the bill , it may not make sense to him and his car owner . He didn`t go last year either . 

• Like 5

On 1/22/2020 at 6:25 AM, foster said:

neither dunn or hares have a big small blk for deyo rules, they are going for "practice" before volusia

You don't need a "big small block" to run deyo shows, u can run a big block as well

• Thanks 1

Running your mod in Florida is not the most fiscally responsible thing to do.

2 hours ago, Gevo`s Rears & Gears said:

No points , so unless someone wants to foot the bill , it may not make sense to him and his car owner . He didn`t go last year either . 

Thanks for the info. I was thinking that he followed the entire series last year including Volusia.

6 hours ago, Art Roraback said:

I don't see how it is any of your business what Mike Mahaney chooses to do or not to do (of course it isn't any of my business what you think for that matter) This message board is a complete joke.

Realistically, you are right as much as you are wrong.  You have to think about how dull this forum would be if we all stuck to truly what is 'your business.'

Don't forget to take your heart meds. You seem really wound up about this.

Maybe you should yell at Mandee as well for putting all of his business out there as well 😂

4 hours ago, DowntheBackStretch said:

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I dont believe Mike races "full-time (as their career)" as you are trying to spin it.  If I remember, his first priority is the family business. Maybe that has changed... I dont know.

Could be a mistake on my part. Last I knew from the videos is that he was living full time up in Queensbury from almost January 2019 until the season ended, running the Adirondack race shop, and getting the car ready for races at Airborne and series races.

So, no 'spin', just thought he was a full time race car driver and that racing was his first priority and vacations revolved around the race schedule. Not vice versa. Plenty of race car drivers have this mindset. 

3 hours ago, dan dan said:

My guess might be considering he ain't single, maybe the vacation was higher on the list. 

Jmo. I don't if you can really say towing clear to Florida is the start of the northeast racing season. 

Could be. I thought between Mike and Mandee that racing was the first order of business but that's definitely not our business.

And from what I see, Florida is the start of the racing season. Everyone in the top 5 in the SDS points starts their season in Florida. If you don't, you're already 10 steps behind.

Snooze, you lose.

Snooze you lose, but you are already money ahead by staying home. 

I don't doubt a bunch of them do this for a "vacation ". Others may want a non racing vacation. 

5 hours ago, John Williams said:

Yeah man. If they want it to be your business they would make a video about it. 😬

o there will be videos dont  worry

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Grizzley111 said:

You don't need a "big small block" to run deyo shows, u can run a big block as well

good luck being able to keep up with the "deyo boys"with a dirt legal BB

18 hours ago, chas71 said:

Running your mod in Florida is not the most fiscally responsible thing to do.

I think you could sweep the entire thing at Volusia and still only break even financially on the Florida trip.  I think it has value as a shakedown and testing weekend in true race conditions, but given the weak payout I don't think anyone has ever made money doing it. 

18 hours ago, inthecuse said:

And from what I see, Florida is the start of the racing season. Everyone in the top 5 in the SDS points starts their season in Florida. If you don't, you're already 10 steps behind.

Snooze, you lose.

How can you be behind if there are no points awarded? Racing in Florida in February isn't going to get you any closer to the top 5 in SDS points.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, ranger22 said:

How can you be behind if there are no points awarded? Racing in Florida in February isn't going to get you any closer to the top 5 in SDS points.

Not behind in points, but behind in knowledge, experience, etc.  Florida gives you a chance to shake down new equipment, get acquainted with new crew, try new setups, etc.  Otherwise, you might have to do all of that in races that actually count for something.  

• Like 1

I look at it this way. If I'm racing All Tec and Volusia I'm not going to bring two different cars down. I'm going to bring my big blocks only. Anyone who is running both shows will only have big block cars. Why bring down two different engines if you can't run both of them at both tracks? With five nights of racing at Volusia you're going to want to have a back-up car if you can.

25 minutes ago, Jack Brady said:

I look at it this way. If I'm racing All Tec and Volusia I'm not going to bring two different cars down. I'm going to bring my big blocks only. Anyone who is running both shows will only have big block cars. Why bring down two different engines if you can't run both of them at both tracks? With five nights of racing at Volusia you're going to want to have a back-up car if you can.

Matt is bringing 2 cars. A BB and a big small block. Also a spec 358 engine. 

3 hours ago, Mike Coleates said:

Matt is bringing 2 cars. A BB and a big small block. Also a spec 358 engine. 

Must be nice to have all your options covered.

If you head to volusia and are really fast there.....your 10 steps behind when racing gets underway up here....there is virtually nothing that you can take from that place and apply it here....the shape, surface and speed are all different than 90% of what big blocks see all summer. You can on the other hand build notes.....for volusia next year. As far as money, the modified guys have hurt themselves in that respect, travel all the way to Florida, spend thousands before you ever fire a car up knowing that your being paid peanuts. There is nothing to complain about when you continue to go support it. With that being said, Deyo May put a crunch on dirtcar to up the pay at volusia just like he did for the sds series. His 3 nights of racing pay what teams need to be getting paid to travel that far. Now that it’s an option, many may only go there that normally support volusia. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, rpm72x said:

If you head to volusia and are really fast there.....your 10 steps behind when racing gets underway up here....there is virtually nothing that you can take from that place and apply it here....the shape, surface and speed are all different than 90% of what big blocks see all summer. You can on the other hand build notes.....for volusia next year. As far as money, the modified guys have hurt themselves in that respect, travel all the way to Florida, spend thousands before you ever fire a car up knowing that your being paid peanuts. There is nothing to complain about when you continue to go support it. With that being said, Deyo May put a crunch on dirtcar to up the pay at volusia just like he did for the sds series. His 3 nights of racing pay what teams need to be getting paid to travel that far. Now that it’s an option, many may only go there that normally support volusia. 

Part of why Dean has an issue with Brett.

How dare you pay these race teams some decent money?  That is supposed to be 'our' money  😉

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, leroy said:

Part of why Dean has an issue with Brett.

How dare you pay these race teams some decent money?  That is supposed to be 'our' money  😉

I’m not sure what their issues are, but the feud only hurts race teams. If there are potential good paying shows for the ess teams, their spat should not get in the way. The deliberate attempts to hurt big money shows via schedules, hurts race teams. I don’t agree with the tactics, but all people can do is choose who to support. 

• Like 2

On 1/24/2020 at 1:57 PM, Jack Brady said:

I bet 75% of the cars will have both engine combinations. 

5 hours ago, rpm72x said:

True Statement, We go to 2 tracks where the notes apply to those tracks and nowhere else... Volusia and Charlotte. Both tracks are their own aminal

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Rebob0510 said:

True Statement, We go to 2 tracks where the notes apply to those tracks and nowhere else... Volusia and Charlotte. Both tracks are their own aminal

I guess this shoots down the whole 10 steps behind theory, the top 5 in SDS points will be steps ahead of most teams whether they go to Florida or not.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, rpm72x said:

He really isn’t paying more them he does for the races he runs up here. Payout for a 50 lap race are in the area of $24,765. If you take the extra $5000 off the first place money for the last race (which only one person can get) you come up with close to the same amount. Plus you are hauling all the way to Florida for it. The other two races are fewer laps and lesser money. I haven’t seen what the total payout per night for Dirtcar is other then first place money. I’m sure someone out there has the total payout per night.

16 minutes ago, RJO said:

He really isn’t paying more them he does for the races he runs up here. Payout for a 50 lap race are in the area of $24,765. If you take the extra $5000 off the first place money for the last race (which only one person can get) you come up with close to the same amount. Plus you are hauling all the way to Florida for it. The other two races are fewer laps and lesser money. I haven’t seen what the total payout per night for Dirtcar is other then first place money. I’m sure someone out there has the total payout per night.

The pay out is listed here Ron. https://www.dirtcarmembers.com/upload/dafe7DRAFT 2020_DCN_CompNotes_V3_JH_1-14-20[3].pdf

Most of the money at Volusia goes to the WoO teams.  The modifieds are just a support division.

Matter of fact when I went there a few years ago, Volusia used the big block modifieds in place of pack trucks.    

• Like 4

As much as we might hate to admit it, the mods are the support division at  both Volusia and Charlotte although one might argue that they are paid less because they are always paid less than WOO Sprints or LM's. 

Saying that, for me they aren't the support division and that's all that really matters personally.

• Like 2

On 1/24/2020 at 5:52 PM, rpm72x said:

16 hours ago, ranger22 said:

I guess this shoots down the whole 10 steps behind theory, the top 5 in SDS points will be steps ahead of most teams whether they go to Florida or not.

You act like they're racing on pavement in Volusia.

At Volusia 2018, testing coils was the big topic of conversation.  So, based on your theory, all the Volusia 2018 testing was only to build notes for Volusia 2019??  NO.  The testing carried over into the whole 2018 season using a ton of different suspension setups.  There was knowledge that was definitely gained from testing in February.  You can refresh your memory here from a thread that started in Feb 2018 during Volusia:

Guys would have been testing 4-links at Volusia 2020 to see what works for the SEASON if they weren't banned by SDS. 

And here's a quote from Dean Reynolds:

Posted April 13, 2018

I think one factor you have to figure in this year with Volusia as it was treated more like a test session each night vs. an actually go out and win event.  Might be the wrong wording there but teams went with this "new" craze of coil overs to see what they had.  If it was treated like points are being paid and it counted to the overall, long term goal then I would look at the start/finish stats more seriously.

I'll stick by what I said, if you think you're going to the first SDS race at Can-Am and are at the same level of knowledge and preparedness as a team that went to Florida, you're crazy.  You can't tell me that every team that goes to Florida goes down there thinking that everything they do in Volusia is useless in the NE. 

Maybe you should tell Brett Hearn and FOX that they screwed up by doing  private on-track and shaker rig testing with FOX shocks.  Obviously, in your theory, all of that data can't be applied at any other track and can only be used for that track and on a shaker rig.

Look at Matt, his season continues right after Volusia and right into Georgetown.  Can he take any of those notes from Georgetown and apply them to Can-Am.  No, totally different track and series but while other racers are thinking about racing, he's behind the wheel RACING.  

Even if you want to say Florida is racing on a totally different planet, you can't discount seat time behind a REAL car (as opposed to iracing).

RACING is RACING and SEAT TIME is SEAT TIME.  More seat time is more experience and more experience equals wins.

But yes, saying that drivers that went to Florida are 10 steps behind come April in NY makes complete sense:banghead:

• Like 1