And I’ll stick by what I said, nobody uses volusia as a true measuring stick to the season. If that were the case Mat Williamson would not have had the season he had last year, Decker would have dominated,Sheppard would never have been as dominant over the past decade and Jamie Mills and Rich Laubach would be series threats. The teams go there for a vacation, a way to break up the winter, and most have the money to go down and race. The small teams think of it as a bucket list event, but nobody thinks it will be an indication of the season ahead. The “rust” that it knocks off, can be accomplished in one open practice for these drivers...they are not novice sportsman guys. They have lots of laps in a modified. It can on the other hand put you 100 steps behind if you are on a budget and go break a motor or destroy a car. As for 2018.....most teams that arrived on coils, swapped them after the first night. If anything the last couple of seasons at volusia made it harder to believe everyone would be switching that direction. If you go to volusia and dominate.....then show up to can am for the opener with the same or similar set up.....you WILL be a lap car. 

• Like 3

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Jumper would it have hurt to list the guys that had signed up and not given guys grief over it??  Some people spend a lot more time playing with their keyboards than others or might not know

You guys are a cute couple.

On this northeast dirt modified forum the list containing the names of contracted sds drivers is nowhere near as important to update as the chili bowl entry list that gets updated every 5 minutes for

7 hours ago, inthecuse said:

You act like they're racing on pavement in Volusia.

At Volusia 2018, testing coils was the big topic of conversation.  So, based on your theory, all the Volusia 2018 testing was only to build notes for Volusia 2019??  NO.  The testing carried over into the whole 2018 season using a ton of different suspension setups.  There was knowledge that was definitely gained from testing in February.  

Why didn't you quote Rerob0510 a crew member on one of the top teams in NE dirt modified racing? He is the one that said that nothing learned from Volusia can be applied to any track in the Northeast.

12 hours ago, ranger22 said:

Why didn't you quote Rerob0510 a crew member on one of the top teams in NE dirt modified racing? He is the one that said that nothing learned from Volusia can be applied to any track in the Northeast.

Because I honestly can't argue with rerob. If he knows the Gypsum team can't apply anything from Florida to racing in the NE then I can't tell him otherwise. He knows that team better than anyone on here. I know he's not going to make that up for the fun of it.

RPM always has in depth answers and usually his answers seem legit.  This one I struggle with tho. I'm not saying I completely disagree with rpm or you completely. There's definitely a lot of factors that go into having a successful season and Florida isn't the sole reason for a successful season.

You could be a crew member or driver and know this first hand as well.

If I'm wrong, that's fine. My next question  is why are 20-30 NE mod drivers towing their car and equipment to Florida every single year for practically zero gain, actually losing money.  If they want to escape the NY winter, they could do that cheaper and less stress without bringing their mod. 

I'm really curious how other teams feel about Florida at this point.

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, inthecuse said:

Because I honestly can't argue with rerob. If he knows the Gypsum team can't apply anything from Florida to racing in the NE then I can't tell him otherwise. He knows that team better than anyone on here. I know he's not going to make that up for the fun of it.

RPM always has in depth answers and usually his answers seem legit.  This one I struggle with tho. I'm not saying I completely disagree with rpm or you completely. There's definitely a lot of factors that go into having a successful season and Florida isn't the sole reason for a successful season.

If I'm wrong, that's fine. My next question  is why are 20-30 NE mod drivers towing their car and equipment to Florida every single year for practically zero gain, actually losing money.  If they want to escape the NY winter, they could do that cheaper and less stress without bringing their mod. 

Like I said before it’s a vacation with racing......the thing we all like to do more than anything else.....most of the Florida contingent do not care about money, some look at it as a bucket list event, others feel the playing field is a bit more even with the track conditions and lack of consistent experience at the place. Guys feel they have a legitimate shot at a “big” win.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, inthecuse said:

Probably the same reason they tow to tracks all summer despite little chance of breaking even. I suppose with Florida at least you get a little break from the winter winter in the northeast. 

• Like 1

Florida is a big money loser for basically everybody that goes there in every division. The guys that are from Florida save some money on hotels, but that’s really about it. 

These guys are racers and When there’s a race they want to go    It’s like a drug.   There’s only 30-40 guys with the money to do it.     I Wouldnt care what it paid as long as I can turn some fast laps in my hotrod I would be there.  The weather break is just a bonus

• Like 1

On the topic of testing at Volusia being applicable:  I believe if you want to test some new, wild unpredictable thing it would be a valid test.  If you've got some totally out of the box new chassis or engine idea you can run your usual setup once, and run the wild thing next, and compare the difference in how the car reacts.  And Volusia can certainly be a test bed for engine ideas.  Those sort of testing plans could translate to your northeast season.  But overall I don't think most of these teams are doing that, and I'm not sure the rules really allow for that level of creativity anyhow.

As to why people do it, because they want to!  Why do 99% of racers lose money every single week, but keep showing up?  Why do people buy expensive boats that lose all of their value before they're paid off?  Because they love it!       

• Like 2
On 1/24/2020 at 11:02 PM, Rebob0510 said:

I bet 75% of the cars will have both engine combinations. A BB is going to be a disadvantage... Both make almost the same power, The BB weighs about 580lbs on a good day and the open SB is about 505#.  Plus if its 370 cubic inch or  less you get a 100 pound weight break vs the big block. Im a betting man so if someone wants to put some money up I will bet that a BB will NOT win a race at All Tec

Rob Hile

W/16 with 250 lb weight break may surprise on slick track ......350 lb weight break against BSB Aluminum blocks ....

I don't see why they give the big small blocks a weight break, if they are putting out pretty much the same power there is no reason they need a weight break. 

5 hours ago, Jack Brady said:

I don't see why they give the big small blocks a weight break, if they are putting out pretty much the same power there is no reason they need a weight break. 

Super Matt agrees with you. Just wait until he tells Deyo to get his head out his ass.

13 minutes ago, WheelsUpHammerDown10 said:

To get back on track,

Who are the 100% confirmed 2020 SDS drivers at this point?

I think I've only seen Jessey Mueller and Demetrius Drellos so far on social. 

Well I think it's safe to go with the regulars...

Matt Sheppard
Mat Williamson
Larry Wight
Billy Decker
Jimmy Phelps
Erick Rudolph
Peter Britten
Mike Mahaney

Plus some likely ones
Jack Lehner
Billy Dunn

6 hours ago, matt_s86 said:

Well I think it's safe to go with the regulars...

Matt Sheppard
Mat Williamson
Larry Wight
Billy Decker
Jimmy Phelps
Erick Rudolph
Peter Britten
Mike Mahaney

Plus some likely ones
Jack Lehner
Billy Dunn

I spoke to Mike Mahaney in December, at that time he wasn’t committing to the entire schedule.

13 hours ago, jumper12a said:

I spoke to Mike Mahaney in December, at that time he wasn’t committing to the entire schedule.

he probably had not received his vacation schedule from mandee at that point in time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
On 1/27/2020 at 1:10 PM, Devin Willis said:

I'm willing to bet that a w16 doesnt win in the state of florida this year

lets bet price of a complete w/16 with all the parts to install .....I'll buy one give it to top team to run down there After they win a race I'll have one free......

• Confused 1