Sign in to follow this  
WheelsUpHammerDown10

Plattsburgh Airborne Speedway 2020?

Anyone have an update or hearing anything on Plattsburgh Airborne Speedway for 2020? 

I've enjoyed my two trips there once its been back to dirt and hope they can continue racing. 

1 hour ago, WheelsUpHammerDown10 said:

Anyone have an update or hearing anything on Plattsburgh Airborne Speedway for 2020? 

I've enjoyed my two trips there once its been back to dirt and hope they can continue racing. 

Theres no news really. Mohawk took on the airborne street stocks. I doubt theyll be open but I'd like to be wrong.

3 hours ago, MRKLEEN said:

Sportsman as the headline class. Trying to get an ESS special and possibly a Big Block Sds race

That is the way to go in this market. What I think would work:

Sportsman as headliners, ideally with a $5-6 grandstand ticket.

Run a handful of 358 Specials, mostly midweek, 50-lappers, $20-25 to get in: Early May (before Quebec tracks open), Memorial Day, July 4, do the Thurs before the Clinton Cty Fair opens (and try to make it an official fair event, close that Sat), Labor Day, fall tour race.

SuperDIRT Big Blocks.

1-2 Sprint car shows (maybe 1 ESS, 1 SCONE)

Use that cheap admission price to really promote, fill up the grandstands, build a fanbase and make money with the concessions.

• Like 1

I live two hours away and have a busy summer schedule so I likely won't make it over for any regular weekly shows personally without the 358s.

However, I'm all in on making it over for the SDS, 358 mid week special or a 360 sprint show. 

Can't wait for the schedule to come out and try and plan on getting over there. Robby did a great job last year in his first year running things and hope it continues again in 2020. 

1 hour ago, BillSmith said:

That is the way to go in this market. What I think would work:

Sportsman as headliners, ideally with a $5-6 grandstand ticket.

Run a handful of 358 Specials, mostly midweek, 50-lappers, $20-25 to get in: Early May (before Quebec tracks open), Memorial Day, July 4, do the Thurs before the Clinton Cty Fair opens (and try to make it an official fair event, close that Sat), Labor Day, fall tour race.

SuperDIRT Big Blocks.

1-2 Sprint car shows (maybe 1 ESS, 1 SCONE)

Use that cheap admission price to really promote, fill up the grandstands, build a fanbase and make money with the concessions.

They cant get shows in at brewerton in may/april. Ever been that far north in may? (Plattsburg) not happening. 

11 minutes ago, 80K said:

They cant get shows in at brewerton in may/april. Ever been that far north in may? (Plattsburg) not happening. 

Mohawk usually opens 2nd week of May. CanAm got an April show in last year. It’s not impossible. 

A show first two weeks in May is a 50/50 deal, depending upon how dried out things are. It can really be chilly at night, but sometimes the weather is just perfect. The Quebec tracks don't open until the third week of May normally (Victoria Day weekend), so there is definitely an opening for a show there. 

The thing to remember about Sportsman as a headliner -- you're really going to struggle if you try to get by as a "just cheaper watered down show" with tickets at $10.

It's not going to draw in diehards on a regular basis, but they will be there for the specials. You'll keep the race fans who, on Saturday decide they want to go to a race and don't want to drive 2 hours to Drummondville/RPM , 2-1/2 hours to Brockville or 3 hours to Lebanon Valley.

The reason why I advocate for $5-6 grandstand tickets is that most of the costs are paid out of the pit area. Then, you can do whatever it takes to fill up the grandstands and create new local racing fans -- you need active, aggressive promotions. The place seats 3,000+. Give them entertaining racing at a bargain price, so that people say, "Hey, let's go the races tonight -- it's cheap fun." If you get that casual fan back, you will build a great fanbase the place will be jam-packed for the big events.

The last piece of the puzzle is a cheap Slick Track Enduro class on a small inner oval -- cars you can build on a Demo Derby budget and build your new generation of racers -- get them at the track every week and they will move into Super Stocks and Sportsman.

1 hour ago, BillSmith said:

The thing to remember about Sportsman as a headliner -- you're really going to struggle if you try to get by as a "just cheaper watered down show" with tickets at $10.

It's not going to draw in diehards on a regular basis, but they will be there for the specials. You'll keep the race fans who, on Saturday decide they want to go to a race and don't want to drive 2 hours to Drummondville/RPM , 2-1/2 hours to Brockville or 3 hours to Lebanon Valley.

The reason why I advocate for $5-6 grandstand tickets is that most of the costs are paid out of the pit area. Then, you can do whatever it takes to fill up the grandstands and create new local racing fans -- you need active, aggressive promotions. The place seats 3,000+. Give them entertaining racing at a bargain price, so that people say, "Hey, let's go the races tonight -- it's cheap fun." If you get that casual fan back, you will build a great fanbase the place will be jam-packed for the big events.

The last piece of the puzzle is a cheap Slick Track Enduro class on a small inner oval -- cars you can build on a Demo Derby budget and build your new generation of racers -- get them at the track every week and they will move into Super Stocks and Sportsman.

Howie announced that tickets will be $10.

• Like 1

On 1/24/2020 at 7:37 PM, chas71 said:

Howie announced that tickets will be $10.

That is what it needs to be.   5-6 dollars is ludicrous, for sportsman or ANY other  racing division.  

On 1/24/2020 at 12:56 PM, 80K said:

You are half correct. Brewerton doesn't open until May because they have a high water table on the property.  They don't even attempt to race in April. Not sure what you are talking about when you say they cant get shows in during May.  They raced  May 13, 20 and 27 during 2016, May 12 and 19 during 2017, May 18 and 25 during 2018 and May 24 and 31 during 2019 last year. Looks like they were rained out one time on May 26 in 2017.