Sign in to follow this  
DaRooster

OCFS 2020 Purse Structure

Anyone know what Malta pays to win and take the green?

5 hours ago, Scott Friers said:

Not that it has anything to do with what OCFS is paying but...Malta pays $49.99 to win and the rest get a $5 gift card to Dunkin.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, macho said:

Serious? No kidding they're paying out more but they're bringing in way more. I hope you can understand this without me having to put a while bunch of numbers on here cause I'm thinking you'll get even more confused.

Well obviously they are doing something right or the large amount of sportsman cars they are getting wouldn’t continue to return. Also is it a crime for someone in business to make a profit? If you lose every week you can’t stay in business that way can you?

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, RJO said:

Well obviously they are doing something right or the large amount of sportsman cars they are getting wouldn’t continue to return. Also is it a crime for someone in business to make a profit? If you lose every week you can’t stay in business that way can you?

Glen Ridge does.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Scott Friers said:

Top secret ......but Devils Bowl pays $1200 for 602s weekly $700 2nd......Points  1rst  $5000.......2nd  $2500.....Rocky took home  I think near $14,500 for  Vermont 200  602 race ......Hopefully with some luck sponsors may on some nites increase winner in 602 to $1500......also non starters I think get $75.  weekly  .....I think this is close to what some tracks pay 358s as headliner with points maybe more .....

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

17 minutes ago, old racer said:

Top secret ......but Devils Bowl pays $1200 for 602s weekly $700 2nd......Points  1rst  $5000.......2nd  $2500.....Rocky took home  I think near $14,500 for  Vermont 200  602 race ......Hopefully with some luck sponsors may on some nites increase winner in 602 to $1500......also non starters I think get $75.  weekly  .....I think this is close to what some tracks pay 358s as headliner with points maybe more .....

5000 for point championship is more than some big block tracks I believe, those are great payouts for 602s

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Not trying to say track promoters are getting rich.  
But there is demographics.  then there is also profit margin.  
Maybe tracks need to look at WHY their operating expense is so much more than other tracks?

Take a look at the schedule and the related purses  for Big Diamond mods vs the majority of NY modifird tracks..   Is the economy booming in coal country?    what  exactly is different?   Heck, they do not even sell beer at Big D.

Yet they can afford to pay the mod teams a decent dollar 

2 hours ago, leroy said:

Not trying to say track promoters are getting rich.  
But there is demographics.  then there is also profit margin.  
Maybe tracks need to look at WHY their operating expense is so much more than other tracks?

Take a look at the schedule and the related purses  for Big Diamond mods vs the majority of NY modifird tracks..   Is the economy booming in coal country?    what  exactly is different?   Heck, they do not even sell beer at Big D.

Yet they can afford to pay the mod teams a decent dollar 

Nothing against Big Diamond but most of the time you don’t know what it’s going to cost to get in until you get there. One week they have a senior discount and the next time they don’t. I also think they are making money off of whatever it is they are doing with the property behind the racetrack.

22 minutes ago, RJO said:

Nothing against Big Diamond but most of the time you don’t know what it’s going to cost to get in until you get there. One week they have a senior discount and the next time they don’t. I also think they are making money off of whatever it is they are doing with the property behind the racetrack.

I do not mind paying a couple extra dollars to get in.  Especially if it means a few more bucks to the race teams

It is probably not popular opinion. But I think many tracks should be charging more to get in than what they do.  On the GA side at least

As far as whatever goes on with the property behind the  Big Diamond race track?  I have no idea other than seeing trucks run in and out. But I do not see how that relates to what the track pays out?

That is like figuring Fulton should pay more because Larry has a trucking business

• Like 2

On 2/1/2020 at 7:50 AM, valleyfan said:

Not that it has anything to do with what OCFS is paying but...Malta pays $49.99 to win and the rest get a $5 gift card to Dunkin.

Fulton, Can Am, Brewerton, Thunder Mountain, LOL, and Ransomville have nothing to do with what OCFS is paying either but I appreciate your reply. Glad to see they secured Dunkin as a sponsor so those teams who don't win get something.

• Thanks 2

Say what you will abt purses up or down,but OC does and has for awhile drawn a lot of racers every wk.I think if the pay was golden corral lunch ticket that would be fine with some of them! esp sportsman [40-70 show up]and lower divs they do it for fun/seatime for higher divs.

• Like 1

I think I have seen this topic about payouts at least 3 other times in the last couple years on here. I guess it makes for good conversation.  Here is my analogy:  I own a burger joint and Im selling 5 oz. burgers for $4.00 each.  Business is great! Customers keep returning week after week. Why would I give my customers bigger burgers (say 6 oz. burgers) for the same price when they are obviously content with what they get now? People are in business to make money. But more importantly, racers don't race for the money. If they did, this discussion wouldn't exist.

• Like 5

We have a sad scenario at Thompson Speedway here in Connecticut.

They have reduced their oval races down to 6.

They are only paying the top 10 finishers in every division. Purses have been slashed by 75% in every division. The headlining SK modifieds are being paid $425 to win.

However, because the Whelen Modified Tour is going to be at 3 of these shows, the pit fees haven't changed. Will still be $55 for the IceBreaker, $75 for the season ending World Series.

More here: https://www.shorttrackscene.com/commentary/opinion-thompson-oval-changes-a-slap-in-the-face-to-short-track-fans-and-racers/

• Sad 1

OCFS is in a highly-populated area with a lot of money floating around. I remember in the 1980s, they were getting over 100 Street Stocks a week (3 classes) running for a trophy and no prize money. The Sportsman class had not heats, just A-mains and were getting enough for 2 features a week.

Every market is different.

I think Devil's Bowl has become an under-the-radar success story. Gets a full field of 602 Sportsman plus a full field of Limited Sportsman (same rules, just for the hobby guys and beginners, so you can run against other guys in the same boat who don't buy best of everything), support classes are growing, solid (not huge, but respectable) grandstand attendance. Mike is not making huge headlines with his track, but what he is doing is successful and it works for his market ... he has a handful of big shows a year and does very well with them (Sprints, Mods, the big $10,000 to win Sportsman race).

Bear Ridge has been making this formula work for decades.

I hope a year from now, I can talk about Airborne the same way with Sportsman as lead class ... because if that doesn't work, I think the track will end up closing or have maybe a couple of big shows a year. And there is a core (but not huge fan) base and a solid pool of local Sportsman racers. It helps that the nearest tracks are an hour-90 minutes away, so it's not like when Malta went pavement, where the fans could just go to nearby Lebanon Valley or Fonda instead ... going to other tracks is enough of a hassle that I think the local fans and drivers will support Airborne as a Sportsman track.

4 hours ago, Sicklajoie said:

We have a sad scenario at Thompson Speedway here in Connecticut.

They have reduced their oval races down to 6.

They are only paying the top 10 finishers in every division. Purses have been slashed by 75% in every division. The headlining SK modifieds are being paid $425 to win.

However, because the Whelen Modified Tour is going to be at 3 of these shows, the pit fees haven't changed. Will still be $55 for the IceBreaker, $75 for the season ending World Series.

More here: https://www.shorttrackscene.com/commentary/opinion-thompson-oval-changes-a-slap-in-the-face-to-short-track-fans-and-racers/

I have been going to Thompson since 1968, as a spectator, and pit crew until I moved in 2005. As sad as it seems, some of the competitors have apparently agreed to go along with this. It should be interesting to see how this plays out over the year as far as car, and spectators counts go. Track management has apparently had some dialogue since the announcement with a few racers. One possible solution talked about, was the racers going out, and finding sponsors to help supplement the purses! I also read that adult admission for the 3 Whelen Tour Modified specials was $50 to $55.

5 hours ago, DowntheBackStretch said:

I think I have seen this topic about payouts at least 3 other times in the last couple years on here. I guess it makes for good conversation.  Here is my analogy:  I own a burger joint and Im selling 5 oz. burgers for $4.00 each.  Business is great! Customers keep returning week after week. Why would I give my customers bigger burgers (say 6 oz. burgers) for the same price when they are obviously content with what they get now? People are in business to make money. But more importantly, racers don't race for the money. If they did, this discussion wouldn't exist.

Part of the reason 8 times out of 10 , I bring my own food  to the track.

Supporting race tracks is a good thing.   Getting ripped off, not so much

Besides,  back straps taste way better than a tuff shtt sandwich

On 2/1/2020 at 8:33 PM, leroy said:

I do not mind paying a couple extra dollars to get in.  Especially if it means a few more bucks to the race teams

When the ticked booth gal asks me "Senior discount?", I say "Keep it" for the same reason.

1 hour ago, DaRooster said:

When the ticked booth gal asks me "Senior discount?", I say "Keep it" for the same reason.

Noble. Wondering out loud.... does that money go back to the drivers or does it get funnelled to the track owner? I’m being rhetorical as we have no way of knowing that answer but I wonder sometimes.