Night one at Volusia I had the pleasure of speaking with (3) different people that were just totally blown away with the "Big Block Modifieds".  A guy from Indiana said he definitely wanted to make a trip out east this summer to see more action.  I suggested to him that he comes on a weekend that Weedsport is running so he could have the opportunity to see a Friday & Saturday night race with plenty of track choices then top off the weekend at the Port.  

Thank you Big Blocks for putting on a fantastic show last night and representing our sport. 

• Like 2

Always nice to have new fans but please don't tell him to go from a racy fast track like Volusia to the ultimate ice rink in Weedsport. I have been a dirt modified fan for almost 50 years and if Weedsport was one of the first i saw I probably wouldn't be a fan today.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, TopDog said:

Always nice to have new fans but please don't tell him to go from a racy fast track like Volusia to the ultimate ice rink in Weedsport. I have been a dirt modified fan for almost 50 years and if Weedsport was one of the first i saw I probably wouldn't be a fan today.

Weedsport is a great facility ......except for the track surface. I go about once a year and that's enough for me. The features can have some decent racing but seems like almost no passing until then.

• Like 3

You can't compare BB racing from Volusia to NYS racing because Volusia has a track condition that is 2nd to none as far as bite & the NY tracks are skating rinks

You guys are so right.  Thank you for straightening me out....  Tonight if someone talks with me about the Big Blocks I'll change the subject and maybe talk about the weather. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 9

Wait wait.. yes the last couple of years Volusia has had a decent surface but for quite a while it was complete crap. It seemed like one lane racing every year. I haven't been to the new Weedsport yet. I remember when it was one of the best DRIVER tracks to race on. Before it was D shaped and banked. Danny Johnson actually said it, (not exact quote) "eh, it use to be a driver's track, now it's just fast.) But on tv I've seen some good racing from Weedsport.

Jeff you keep recommending to people to come up and see us. 

11 minutes ago, Jack Brady said:

Wait wait.. yes the last couple of years Volusia has had a decent surface but for quite a while it was complete crap. It seemed like one lane racing every year. I haven't been to the new Weedsport yet. I remember when it was one of the best DRIVER tracks to race on. Before it was D shaped and banked. Danny Johnson actually said it, (not exact quote) "eh, it use to be a driver's track, now it's just fast.) But on tv I've seen some good racing from Weedsport.

Jeff you keep recommending to people to come up and see us. 

Not to get off track but I went to Weedsport when they had a ESS Sprint and Sportsman show last year and the Sportsman were the show. Their feature was outstanding that night.  Weedsport isn’t a good track for the sprints.

Jeff, just thought you might want to talk him into some place with better racing. Facility is amazing, surface is terrible. Don't stop spreading the word about our mods.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jeff Lawrence said:

Night one at Volusia I had the pleasure of speaking with (3) different people that were just totally blown away with the "Big Block Modifieds".  A guy from Indiana said he definitely wanted to make a trip out east this summer to see more action.  I suggested to him that he comes on a weekend that Weedsport is running so he could have the opportunity to see a Friday & Saturday night race with plenty of track choices then top off the weekend at the Port.  

Thank you Big Blocks for putting on a fantastic show last night and representing our sport. 

Every time we go to race at either Eldora or Charlotte I always end up having a conversation with someone about our big blocks. Last year was a guy from Alabama who just couldn't believe that we run big blocks in circles. Being a engine builder myself I always try to give them a bunch of info on the engine and pop the hood off so they can look at it. We take these torque monsters for granted because we get to see them run weekly.

Rob Hile 

• Like 5

I will second Rob's assessment about fans that don't normally see the big blocks run. Almost every time we've raced at Charlotte I've had somebody come up to me after the Friday night feature or before racing starts on Saturday and say that they were blown away by the sound that the mods make when they all hit the throttle at the start of the feature. And they always seemed to be impressed with the racing the mods put on too.

It's funny how a perception of something never changes when in reality it's either not as bad as it seems for the most part or, in this case New York, the only place that sees that "problem". Case in point, ONLY New York tracks get slick. All Tech (in Florida) just had some modified racing there and just judging by the video, it seemed like it got slick. BUT the racing seemed like it was pretty good was it not??

The last SDS race at Weedsport, the track had bite all night, even Matt Sheppard, who usually favors the bottom, was running the cushion. I know we had to loosen our car up for the feature because the track had so much bite. There have been times that the surface hasn't been the greatest, but I know they've been working hard on different things to get a handle on that surface.

• Like 13

Will I guess 4 out of 5 wasn't to bad. Tonight was the Volusia I remember. On the bottom one lane, just like home use to be. Looked a lot like a regular saturday night at OCFS.

Maybe its a surface second to none, as was said. But tonight it was crap just like any other track could be on any given night.

On 2/12/2020 at 2:14 PM, Jeff Lawrence said:

You guys are so right.  Thank you for straightening me out....  Tonight if someone talks with me about the Big Blocks I'll change the subject and maybe talk about the weather. 

It wasn't always like it is now. These days, there's slick and then there's New York slick which in many cases is an abomination of dirt track racing. There are some tracks in the northeast (I include Canada) that still have decent tacky surfaces, they are just in the minority and in many cases run 358's. 

There are many who enjoy NY slick. Personally, watching 850 HP cars tip toe around a race track doesn't appeal to me.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Jack Brady said:

Will I guess 4 out of 5 wasn't to bad. Tonight was the Volusia I remember. On the bottom one lane, just like home use to be. Looked a lot like a regular saturday night at OCFS.

Maybe its a surface second to none, as was said. But tonight it was crap just like any other track could be on any given night.

Been to OCFS lately? Guys run on every inch of the track.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Jack Brady said:

They did some track work after the big block feature to make it a bit more racey for the late models.

3 hours ago, WheelsUpHammerDown10 said:

They did some track work after the big block feature to make it a bit more racey for the late models.

The late model feature was good. If the mods were the headliner I’m sure they’d have reworked the track before their feature. 

17 hours ago, Jack Brady said:

OCFS has a new surface, the drivers rave about it.  Take in a show and be enlightened......

Good to see some positive thoughts on big blocks. To me that's what makes them what they are. Its like drag racing and Hemi's. I'm sure they could go faster with more modern engines but that big lump of an blown engine just does something to a lot of fans. People pay money just to go to cacklefest! 

I can't get over some guys complaining about a fast multigroove track!? As a fan that's what draws people in imo. My dad isn't a modified fan. He watches and enjoys the winter series with me because of that fact and he can see the driver's flexing their muscles so to speak instead of tip toeing around a dry slick skating rink. 

• Like 4

On 2/16/2020 at 3:15 PM, DaRooster said:

OCFS has a new surface, the drivers rave about it.  Take in a show and be enlightened......

Yes. I think you need to re-read my post.

On the bottom one lane, just like home use to be.

On 2/12/2020 at 12:25 PM, macho said:

Weedsport is a great facility ......except for the track surface. I go about once a year and that's enough for me. The features can have some decent racing but seems like almost no passing until then.

I agree, but the problem is that it is no longer slick at Weedsport anymore. I went there for the last time back in 2018 when it was once again a overwatered one lane mess with a big curb one lane up. All Night. 

That's enough for me.