Your Best Race Day Ever and Why? Please play along to kill some time...

I'm a Fonda Homer... but my best race day ever would be Orange County  and the Eastern States 1983 when CD Coville won. I was lucky enough to be one of the guys who worked on and maintained the car. It was just a wild weekend... thats mine now share yours...

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My favorite races usually involve a local racer beating national tour drivers in spectacular fashion, such as Pauch’s WoO win at Syracuse in 1994.  But there is one race day I am most grateful fo

2012 Fonda season finale. Was supposed to meet my dad there. Got a flat on the way home from Maine, didn't want to go anymore but decided to go for the feature. Glad I did as it was the  last race I e

I have a couple of different ones as well. As a kid I loved going to Fonda and the butterflies of excitement I got when coming across the bridge...it still sticks with me to this day. My fat

It would be hard to pick just one.  But one of the Fulton 200's.  I used to camp there  just about every year with the same group of friends. But two of them have passed from cancer in recent years.

• Like 3

Mine was the 1988 Eastern states 200 that Richie Eurich won, he was one of my favorites at the time and was the only driver at OCFS that could give Hearn any competition. He was also the champion that year breaking Hearns streak 

• Like 2

Sept 5, 1971.....I qualified for the Utica-Rome 400 with a small block against the top drivers in Nascar Mods including Richie (who won both 200 lap segments), Flemke, Charland, Bugsy Stevens, Lazzaro, DeSarro, Cook, both Hensley brothers, Hank Thomas, Romano, Bernie Miller, Dave Lape & others

• Like 3

my race was one that my boy's asked to go to when they were 20 and 19. we use to go all the time when they where younger, but they stopprd going when they became teens. they wanted to hang with friends. A few years ago the asked if we could go again as a group now they go racing with me about 7 times a year. which I love just wish I could get them to go more cause I hit around 20-25 shows a year. But I'll take what they can give me .

• Like 5

I have 2

First was the 1998 Eckerd 300 where Billy Decker got first win in the big race!

Second was at Lebanon Valley 2005 when the WoO Latemodels were in town Mike King stole the show by pick his 1st career win after 30+ years of racing

• Like 2
1 hour ago, racer80 said:

Sept 5, 1971.....I qualified for the Utica-Rome 400 with a small block against the top drivers in Nascar Mods including Richie (who won both 200 lap segments), Flemke, Charland, Bugsy Stevens, Lazzaro, DeSarro, Cook, both Hensley brothers, Hank Thomas, Romano, Bernie Miller, Dave Lape & others

That is awesome!

• Like 1

2012 Fonda season finale. Was supposed to meet my dad there. Got a flat on the way home from Maine, didn't want to go anymore but decided to go for the feature. Glad I did as it was the  last race I ever went to with my dad. 

• Like 8

I don't know if I would consider this the best day, but it was certainly one of the most memorable, for me.

Someone might have to fact check the date, but I do believe it might be April 29, 2006 - Fonda Speedway.  Jessica Zemken (now Friesen) started about 12th in the 360 Sprint race and they had a bunch of cautions at the beginning.  The attrition due to the cautions was slowly getting her to the front.  Finally, with some green flag laps,  the race was on.  When she took the lead, and eventually go on for the win, you would have thought that Lou Lazzaro (who had passed 6 years earlier) had just won another feature at Fonda.  I hadn't seen a Fonda crowd get that excited, or go that crazy in a while.  Everyone was pulling for her.

• Like 3

1980 Oxford 250. Geoff Bodine & Butch Lindley trading alot of paint and the lead (often) over the entire distance of the race. They were inches apart on every lap. Bodine took the lead for the final time on the last lap to win.

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, TheUnderdogBulldog said:

I don't know if I would consider this the best day, but it was certainly one of the most memorable, for me.

Someone might have to fact check the date, but I do believe it might be April 29, 2006 - Fonda Speedway.  Jessica Zemken (now Friesen) started about 12th in the 360 Sprint race and they had a bunch of cautions at the beginning.  The attrition due to the cautions was slowly getting her to the front.  Finally, with some green flag laps,  the race was on.  When she took the lead, and eventually go on for the win, you would have thought that Lou Lazzaro (who had passed 6 years earlier) had just won another feature at Fonda.  I hadn't seen a Fonda crowd get that excited, or go that crazy in a while.  Everyone was pulling for her.

I saw Fonda go nuts when she passed Tony Stewart at one of the 410 shows they had. I also saw her have perhaps one of the scariest if not scariest wreck of her career at Fonda when she went out of the ball park on the first lap.

• Like 2

For me it's '92 Syracuse World of Outlaws between Kinser and Wild Child. There was over 100 ft. of rubber stuck to fence between 1 & 2 from Haudenchild's RR. They must have swapped the lead 20 times in the closing laps at a "very high rate of speed" as Kinser said.

• Like 2

My father bringing my brother and I to the races as a kid. Remember spending time afterwards drawing pictures of the cars, collecting photos and decals from the vendors. The smell, the sounds, but mostly just spending time with others. We got to know people who sat in the same section. Maybe not by name, but we recognized each other and watched over blankets, etc. It was being part of something. And right now, more then ever, I feel a void. The isolation sucks. The lack of social interaction is weighing mentally. And the bad news is this could last many more months. What I would give to watch a caution filled 15 lap street stock feature right about now. I guess we are all guilty of taking things for granted; if nothing else comes of this it will be the sober reminder to enjoy what you have, your friends, family and community. 

Back to the original question, hard not to identify a race at Cornwall in which Barefoot came from the back to win. They had introduced all the drivers and it looked like he wouldn’t make the show and then all of a sudden, just before the pace lap began, he came out. Slowly. Looked like he would maybe just take a lap and pick up some points. He ran a top line that I’ve never seen anyone run before or since. It must have been around ‘94 but I can’t recall for sure. That was a night I won’t soon forget. 

• Like 2

At age 72 i have been to a lot of races. Mine would have to be 2019 Fonda Speedway 200 week end. I spent the week end camping out with my friends that i have been setting with the last few years. ( they were in the 30's and 40's ) It took a week or so to catch up on the sleep i missed. Then Stewart winning was the icing on the week end.. Hope the health holds out so i can do it again this year.  

• Like 3

For me hands down it was crewing on Wade Gagner's late model winning the Race of Champions street stock championship at Pocono. We didn't win at Stafford all year but were a consistent top 5 car and finished 2nd in points. We were hardly considered a favorite for Pocono. Over 150 cars attempted to qualify. Started 17th in feature and got the lead on lap 23. Won over $3500 and got a case of Coors Extra Gold for every lap we led (17 cases). 30 years later and that's still the day that stands out the most.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, doober said:

well, mines a big one. all the super dirt weeks at the mile. never missed one and the friends we made some times were better than the racing, i'm sure i'm not the only one that can say this.

Miss the mile here too. From '83-'15, I went 26 times.

• Like 1
On 3/21/2020 at 9:49 AM, Outlaw Photos said:

I'm a Fonda Homer... but my best race day ever would be Orange County  and the Eastern States 1983 when CD Coville won. I was lucky enough to be one of the guys who worked on and maintained the car. It was just a wild weekend... thats mine now share yours...

I was there, it was a very popular win, a crowd-pleaser for sure.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Big said:

At age 72 i have been to a lot of races. Mine would have to be 2019 Fonda Speedway 200 week end. I spent the week end camping out with my friends that i have been setting with the last few years. ( they were in the 30's and 40's ) It took a week or so to catch up on the sleep i missed. Then Stewart winning was the icing on the week end.. Hope the health holds out so i can do it again this year.  

Hey Big, I'm 73.  Back in my mid-20's I would look around and see the old gents with their grime-stained racing caps and wonder "Will I still be coming to the races when I'm that old?"  

Well..........Here we are!

• Like 5