As we wait for the racing season to begin I recently got in a snowmobile accident, got a spinal cord injury and am in a wheelchair. What are good access and views available? Even asphalt tracks. Any insight is appreciated 

Don't know where you are looking for but woodhull is all flat from parking lot. Handicap spots are roughly 75-100 foot from top of grandstands. Roll right up to the top and you have a perfect view. Just make sure you but brakes on when you stop. You don't wanna accidentally roll over edge of bleachers!😀

• Like 2

I guess something like woodhull where I can see better than sitting on the bottom but bit far for my liking. Fulton also comes to mind. Cornwall is the closest for me that comes up.

I believe Fulton still allows for handicapped parking inside the gates behind the grandstands, along with easily accessible viewing areas, and the best view of any track to begin with. 

• Like 2

Just a suggestion but get a couple buddies and have them carry you up to higher seating if that's a possibility. 

5 minutes ago, dan dan said:

Just a suggestion but get a couple buddies and have them carry you up to higher seating if that's a possibility. 

Unfortunately I have to stay in my seat because I need to have the cushion and have to do a pressure relief because  of my skin. It could be possible because cushion comes off but very hard and unlikely to happen.

If ya ever feel like taking a road trip, Bridgeport Speedway is 100% paved ( except for the track), flat, and has nice ramps for accessibility. Many fans in wheelchairs there weekly.

Sorry to hear of your accident.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Rmitchell said:

As we wait for the racing season to begin I recently got in a snowmobile accident, got a spinal cord injury and am in a wheelchair. What are good access and views available? Even asphalt tracks. Any insight is appreciated 

Sorry to hear that man. Hope you are adjusting well given the situation.

Fulton is really good for wheel chair access. Paved all the way as long as you park inside the gates which should not be a problem if you are in a wheelchair. The view you have is at the top of the grandstand just before the flagger and you can see everything well. Your view is probably closer to what the announcers have since they sit in a booth right next to you. Also the concessions are close by.

• Like 1

If the World Finals are in your plans, Charlotte is the absolute best for handicapped provisions. You take an elevator to the top row of the grandstands and the extreme top row is all handicapped seating. Handicapped parking is also just outside the front gate. The only thing I don't know for certain is what kind of arrangements have been made in the bathrooms. 

I've been following along on facebook about your deal but haven't heard an update lately. How are you doing?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, BobMiller said:

If the World Finals are in your plans, Charlotte is the absolute best for handicapped provisions. You take an elevator to the top row of the grandstands and the extreme top row is all handicapped seating. Handicapped parking is also just outside the front gate. The only thing I don't know for certain is what kind of arrangements have been made in the bathrooms. 

I've been following along on facebook about your deal but haven't heard an update lately. How are you doing?

Been doing good. Getting ready to leave rehab in a few days to head home.

Sorry to hear about your accident. 

I personally think OCFS is very handicap friendly. The front side is all paved with close handicap parking.  And easy to get to handicap area. Or just go right to the drive in. 

My mom and dad also like 5 Mile Point and going up to Utica/Rome. They said Utica's is very easily accessible. 5 Mile has a great view and has very close parking. Just would prefer they paved everything. Can be a little rough. And yes new egypt is really nice. Once at Penn Can the owners came down to the parking lot and picked up my dad with a golf cart. And helped him to his seat.

• Like 1

Hey by the way are you the same Ryan Mitchell that use to do the stop motion races of the SDS?  I use to love those.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Jack Brady said:

Hey by the way are you the same Ryan Mitchell that use to do the stop motion races of the SDS?  I use to love those.

Yes did them back in high school when I was messing around with video editing 

Ryan,

I'm truly sorry to hear of your unfortunate accident. Anytime you want to come to Mohawk, please let me know. I will make every accommodation to fit your needs.

• Like 2

Seekonk Speedway in Mass.  The track and the stands are essentially "down in the ground" So the parking lot, concessions, bathrooms etc are at the top level. 

• Like 2
14 hours ago, Brian Paige said:

Ryan,

I'm truly sorry to hear of your unfortunate accident. Anytime you want to come to Mohawk, please let me know. I will make every accommodation to fit your needs.

I'll be heading to my hometrack of MIR as much as possible. Thank you and hope they will be back racing at soon.

15 hours ago, JMB said:

Seekonk Speedway in Mass.  The track and the stands are essentially "down in the ground" So the parking lot, concessions, bathrooms etc are at the top level. 

Seekonk is a great place for viewing. Not a bad seat in the house plus you can walk around the whole outside of the speedway and not have anything in you way. Many areas at the top of the grandstands for wheelchairs.

• Like 1
On 4/17/2020 at 9:18 AM, Rmitchell said:

I guess something like woodhull where I can see better than sitting on the bottom but bit far for my liking. Fulton also comes to mind. Cornwall is the closest for me that comes up.

First of all, I'm sorry to hear of your accident.I know Cornwall seems to have a very good set up for wheelchairs.They have an area right in front of the tower.

• Like 1

Oswegos front grandstands are pretty accessible (ramp towards turn 1) and handicap parking right there...  Pretty impressive seats for the supers, not so sure about Super Dirt Week (I went in the front stands during the 1 ever day of practice up there, and have never gone back... mostly because I'm to lazy to go over there, closest I've gotten was a breakfast run to McDonalds while watching the parade)

Bob, on Charlotte, the bathrooms are pretty impressive for any track, even for the short track worlds when I walked over to check out the stands and was the only person over there, they were spotless and very accessible. I almost think a person in a wheel chair could get away with using a regular stall in a pinch... (I can tell you the same applies for the drag strip, which from where we pitted, I mostly used, lol). 

• Like 1

Would you consider staying in your car? Orange County has a drive-in section and there are other tracks that have drive-in sections depending on how far you want to travel. Also, there are many tracks where you enter at the top (Wall Stadium, Eriez for example), you might be comfortable there and have a great view. Good luck and wishing you a speedy recovery.

• Like 1