Sign in to follow this  
BobMiller

A couple of random thoughts while catching up on the forum...

CBS News is reporting that the Feds are now watching each state with their reopening policies to ensure the state governments don't infringe on residents Constitutional Rights with lengthy lockdowns. After watching the protests in California and Michigan, it makes me wonder how long NY residents are going to tolerate it before protesting as well.

And back in late March - early April, there was facebook chatter and new pictures from Rolling Wheels. Promoter Bob Reis was trying to ink a deal with Rolling Wheels Raceway owners to purchase or lease the track and a bunch of us fans had our fingers crossed. I wonder if any of that has changed now that Warden Cuomo has shut down the entire state...

• Like 1

Those protests are completely meaningless, though. The public is not on the side of the people protesting. The day after the incident in Michigan, Governor Whitmer then extended the shutdown in that state.

The governors with aggressive shutdowns are having sky-high approval ratings for the way they have handled things -- be they Republicans or Democrats. Even Cuomo is at 71 percent approval rating; his favorability is at 77 percent. Cuomo is even viewed favorably by a majority of Republicans in the state.

https://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/news/politics/albany/2020/04/27/cuomos-response-covid-19-gives-him-highest-approval-rating-siena-poll/3030888001/

Governors Mike Dewine (Ohio) and Larry Hogan (Maryland) are both Republicans who have had aggressive lockdown policies and are at 83 and 80 percent approval ratings, respectively, right now.

https://www.wkyc.com/article/news/local/ohio/ohios-mike-dewine-has-highest-approval-rating-of-any-governor-during-coronavirus-according-to-poll/95-39998b77-cceb-40b4-b45d-f7ab9bfd6d44

• Like 5

1 hour ago, FightForTheRail said:

Those protests are completely meaningless, though. The public is not on the side of the people protesting. The day after the incident in Michigan, Governor Whitmer then extended the shutdown in that state.

The governors with aggressive shutdowns are having sky-high approval ratings for the way they have handled things -- be they Republicans or Democrats. Even Cuomo is at 71 percent approval rating; his favorability is at 77 percent. Cuomo is even viewed favorably by a majority of Republicans in the state.

https://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/news/politics/albany/2020/04/27/cuomos-response-covid-19-gives-him-highest-approval-rating-siena-poll/3030888001/

Governors Mike Dewine (Ohio) and Larry Hogan (Maryland) are both Republicans who have had aggressive lockdown policies and are at 83 and 80 percent approval ratings, respectively, right now.

https://www.wkyc.com/article/news/local/ohio/ohios-mike-dewine-has-highest-approval-rating-of-any-governor-during-coronavirus-according-to-poll/95-39998b77-cceb-40b4-b45d-f7ab9bfd6d44

Because at this point a relapse is the worst case scenario. Community transmission has been dramatically Reduced. A little more sacrifice and we can focus almost exclusively on protecting the long term care facilities and rebuilding the PPE for health care providers. I know a lot has been asked of everyone but right now is such a critical time. If we can just continue to make good decisions for a little while longer, we can greatly reduce a chance of a second wave. Just my opinion, but the worst case scenario at this point is returning to square one and having to start over with lockdowns. And given how scared people currently are, if a state like Georgia who was first to open has a major spike in cases and admissions you can bet we will react to this news. 

And again, to help encourage these good decisions the government needs to put money into the hands of people that need it; not Wall Street. Not the Lakers. Give it to small business in the form of rent relief and no interest loans (if conditions are met a percentage wouldn’t require repayment). Give it to the workers and families. This obsession with protecting the 1% is infuriating. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, JohnyC said:

And given how scared people currently are, if a state like Georgia who was first to open has a major spike in cases and admissions you can bet we will react to this news. 

Here is my concern with all of this, and i've been saying this privately among friends and family so they can back me up here.  The news outlets are going to absolutely report a "Massive Spike" or 'Surge" or any other attention grabbing word in Covid-19 cases to grab the headlines.

Here in Florida, i've been paying attention to this since it started, and I think only one day was the percentage of people tested to the percentage of people testing positive over 15%. 

These "Spikes" or "Surges" many are seeing are because more testing is readily available.  They might test 40,000 people in a day, and 1,000 are positive.  The news agencies report a surge in cases of 1,000, but in actually, the % positive only 4%, which is actually a much LOWER number than when we started. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JohnyC said:

And again, to help encourage these good decisions the government needs to put money into the hands of people that need it; not Wall Street. Not the Lakers. Give it to small business in the form of rent relief and no interest loans (if conditions are met a percentage wouldn’t require repayment). Give it to the workers and families. This obsession with protecting the 1% is infuriating. 

Giving the Smithsonian and the Kennedy Center of the Art multiple millions of dollars sure seemed prudent during this time!  😳

But some of the normal public did actually get protected.  Giving people on unemployment $600 dollars weekly extra on top of what their normal State rate is a little over the top.  The max rate in NYS now is $1104 a week.  I do have many friends making double now compared to what they got paid going to work!   And I am genuinely happy that they are doing well.   But  that rate?   holy wow!

A huge percentage of the public are pocketing more money now unemployed than they were working. There’s now “essential” construction work in Auburn and the companies cannot get the employees back. They don’t want to return until July. That’s why the public is all for the lockdown. 

The 60 million allocated to NASA as part of the stimulus does seem like a really good idea to me.  That way if corona virus takes over the entire earth,  all our government leaders can each fly to another planet 👽

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, rpm72x said:

A huge percentage of the public are pocketing more money now unemployed than they were working. There’s now “essential” construction work in Auburn and the companies cannot get the employees back. They don’t want to return until July. That’s why the public is all for the lockdown. 

I think that says more about their wages during a non-pandemic time than anything else. Employers need to give their employees a proper wage.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, rpm72x said:

Please show facts to back up your statement, please

• Like 1

1 hour ago, leroy said:

Giving the Smithsonian and the Kennedy Center of the Art multiple millions of dollars sure seemed prudent during this time!  😳

But some of the normal public did actually get protected.  Giving people on unemployment $600 dollars weekly extra on top of what their normal State rate is a little over the top.  The max rate in NYS now is $1104 a week.  I do have many friends making double now compared to what they got paid going to work!   And I am genuinely happy that they are doing well.   But  that rate?   holy wow!

I do acknowledge that a flaw in how this was handled is that low-wage workers in unemployment generous states like New York are making out. Just giving everyone a flat $600 doesn't take into account what each state pays in unemployment or what the employee was making at his/her job.

A person that doesn't get paid squat normally is lhitting the lottery. But not every state is as generous as New York is when it comes to unemployment benefits. Florida and Alabama only offer a maximum of $275 a week -- if a person can even get through to register for unemployment. That is the same making $9 an hour after taxes are taken out.

The federal benefit should really have just replaced lost wages not covered by individual states, but I guess the goal was to try and get the money out to suddenly unemployed people as quickly as possible. Florida, is particular, has been difficult for people even trying to register for their $275 a week.

36 minutes ago, Uncle tom said:

Please show facts to back up your statement, please

Forbes along with multiple other news outlets have done reporting on businesses struggling to get furloughed workers back on the job. Many have no problem stating they are making more now than ever and are bringing home a grand a week while not working. Symeons Greek Restaurant was featured on a Syracuse.com article stating the 25 workers they retained do not want to go back to work one they are allowed, while they have “unemployment on steroids”. 

1 hour ago, FightForTheRail said:

I do acknowledge that a flaw in how this was handled is that low-wage workers in unemployment generous states like New York are making out. Just giving everyone a flat $600 doesn't take into account what each state pays in unemployment or what the employee was making at his/her job.

A person that doesn't get paid squat normally is lhitting the lottery. But not every state is as generous as New York is when it comes to unemployment benefits. Florida and Alabama only offer a maximum of $275 a week -- if a person can even get through to register for unemployment. That is the same making $9 an hour after taxes are taken out.

The federal benefit should really have just replaced lost wages not covered by individual states, but I guess the goal was to try and get the money out to suddenly unemployed people as quickly as possible. Florida, is particular, has been difficult for people even trying to register for their $275 a week.

Well that $275 a week is now $875.👍

As far as being able to get it.  I have heard things move slower in the South. 😀 Maybe someone who is supposed to be at work registering these people was deemed non essential, at home getting their benefits?😷   

Not that it is doing people that are eligible any good right now. But IF they are eligible  for the benefits  ,I do figure government will make sure they get it retro. I sure hope so anyway.   

A person who is a neighbor and very good friend of mine own two bars/restaurants. On the evening of March 22 as the word was going around about the government shut down, she first went to a meeting with other establishment owners in town. Then held a meeting  at 8pm when they had to close .  She urged all of her employees to go home Right Now and call unemployment. Not tomorrow. Tonight. she told them.  Not sure exactly when they  all got through? But so far no issues with these people getting paid.  And ALL are doing better, in some cases  double what they made serving.  That is part of why the rate seems so crazy to me. Even though I am happy to see some of my friends doing real well.  Right now it is better financially for a lot of workers to remain home.  Sick or no sick

I do realize that it is not that easy for everyone. And that a lot of the people out of work are probably not eligible to receive unemployment benefits according to all the different laws.  

What burns my ass is the government  having the right to decide who's business is essential and not essential.   

The whole shut down is complete bullshit in my honest opinion

Example . Cars full of people pulling in and out of wineries all day long along the road I live on

Rant over for today.  Too nice outside

13 minutes ago, leroy said:

Well that $275 a week is now $875.👍

As far as being able to get it.  I have heard things move slower in the South. 😀 Maybe someone who is supposed to be at work registering these people was deemed non essential, at home getting their benefits?😷   

Not that it is doing people that are eligible any good right now. But IF they are eligible  for the benefits  ,I do figure government will make sure they get it retro. I sure hope so anyway.   

A person who is a neighbor and very good friend of mine own two bars/restaurants. On the evening of March 22 as the word was going around about the government shut down, she first went to a meeting with other establishment owners in town. Then held a meeting  at 8pm when they had to close .  She urged all of her employees to go home Right Now and call unemployment. Not tomorrow. Tonight. she told them.  Not sure exactly when they  all got through? But so far no issues with these people getting paid.  And ALL are doing better, in some cases  double what they made serving.  That is part of why the rate seems so crazy to me. Even though I am happy to see some of my friends doing real well.  Right now it is better financially for a lot of workers to remain home.  Sick or no sick

I do realize that it is not that easy for everyone. And that a lot of the people out of work are probably not eligible to receive unemployment benefits according to all the different laws.  

What burns my ass is the government  having the right to decide who's business is essential and not essential.   

The whole shut down is complete bullshit in my honest opinion

Example . Cars full of people pulling in and out of wineries all day long along the road I live on

Rant over for today.  Too nice outside

The reasons many people are having difficulty registering for unemployment are twofold: 1. Many states have old, antiquated computer systems that have been unable to handle the massive surge in traffic. 2. People trying to register by phone are encountering constant busy signals because many states do not have enough phone lines to handle all the people trying to register. 

I follow Port Royal 410 Sprint Car driver Nicole Bower on Facebook. Her family owns ABC West Lanes bowling alley in Mechanicsburg, Pa. She has posted on FB and done videos in recent weeks about how her family's business has been shut down and they have not received any of the money that was supposed to help small businesses. She has mentioned that she has gotten a job at Wal-Mart from 4 a.m.-1 p.m. because she just bought a house and the PPP has been a complete bust for her family's business.

2 hours ago, rpm72x said:

Then the employers need to step up and start to pay a living wage. Post above says many people now are making double what they did before. That’s not acceptable. Paying a full time employee $25,000 a year doesn’t cut it. That’s $12 an hour. That’s not enough. A construction worker in Ottawa would make a minimum of $30/hour. We pay out civil trades staff more and we lose them to better paying jobs. Watching Jeff Bezos’ grow his net worth by $24 billion (yes that’s a Billion with a ”B”) in three weeks while others struggle at $12/hour is gross. I don’t apologize for what I make and I respect hard work and ingenuity but when is enough - enough??? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rpm72x said:

Forbes along with multiple other news outlets have done reporting on businesses struggling to get furloughed workers back on the job. Many have no problem stating they are making more now than ever and are bringing home a grand a week while not working. Symeons Greek Restaurant was featured on a Syracuse.com article stating the 25 workers they retained do not want to go back to work one they are allowed, while they have “unemployment on steroids”. 

Your initial statement included, "A huge percentage of the public are pocketing more money now unemployed than they were working." I would simply like to see the facts to back up your statement. That seems like something that you pulled out of your ass. Show me the "huge percentage of the public pocketing more money" and I will gladly apologize and state that I was out of line for suggesting that you made that up !

2 minutes ago, Uncle tom said:

Your initial statement included, "A huge percentage of the public are pocketing more money now unemployed than they were working." I would simply like to see the facts to back up your statement. That seems like something that you pulled out of your ass. Show me the "huge percentage of the public pocketing more money" and I will gladly apologize and state that I was out of line for suggesting that you made that up !

Me. I'm bringing home 1100 a week right now. I don't bring home 1100 for 40 hours. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, JohnyC said:

Then the employers need to step up and start to pay a living wage. Post above says many people now are making double what they did before. That’s not acceptable. Paying a full time employee $25,000 a year doesn’t cut it. That’s $12 an hour. That’s not enough. A construction worker in Ottawa would make a minimum of $30/hour. We pay out civil trades staff more and we lose them to better paying jobs. Watching Jeff Bezos’ grow his net worth by $24 billion (yes that’s a Billion with a ”B”) in three weeks while others struggle at $12/hour is gross. I don’t apologize for what I make and I respect hard work and ingenuity but when is enough - enough??? 

there Is some truth to that, but much of what your capable of making is up to you. With that said many restaurant employees and those making 12 bucks an hour are supposed to be using that type of job as a starter job or something to make some extra money later in life. They are not supposed to be careers. If a 25 yr old restaurant employee lived for 2 years off of 475 bucks a weeks and now he’s getting 900 or more gunna be hard to get him back to work.

• Like 1

A lot of small businesses can only afford to pay employees so much to stay in business. I know a bar/restaurant owner that did take out for a week, shut down and just opened back up for take out. His dishwasher, a kid in early 20s was making a couple hundred a week. Now he making 6-700 and can put some away and owner said he kinda would feel bad making him come back to work right away. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Uncle tom said:

You see that huge unemployment number the news including cnn post every 6 minutes.....most of those people are making more now than prior to covid. I have atleast 10 friends that are bringing home over 250 bucks a week more now than before. Turn on your news station, pull your head out of your ass and watch.

I wanna know where all the news anchors in the fake news media are getting their hair cut.  Looks to me like the women anchors are still getting their hair done.  Where is Cuomo getting his hair cut?   There needs to be an investigation into this ASAP, never mind the virus.  What a hoax.  Ship of Fools, that's what this nation has become. 

18 minutes ago, rpm72x said:

You see that huge unemployment number the news including cnn post every 6 minutes.....most of those people are making more now than prior to covid. I have atleast 10 friends that are bringing home over 250 bucks a week more now than before. Turn on your news station, pull your head out of your ass and watch.

Income equality.  How much did Little Mike pay Bernie to drop out?  Sanders must be fit to be tied, the party booted him out but the dems are stealing all his ideas, legislating most of his far left socialist agenda into the covid-19 stimulus. 

In New York State to qualify you must be ready, willing, and able work. Every week you certify that you did not turn down any job offer and you were ready, willing, and able. If your employer calls you back, you have to go back or you will lose your benefits. I was called back starting Monday, it is what it is.

Just to stir the pot a little...

The Democrat and Chronicle never asked me or any of the people I hang around with of what we think of Cuomo. :no

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JohnyC said:

Believe it or not money does not grow on trees. If employers were forced to pay higher wages they would have to raise the cost of their goods and services. Believe it or not most people look to buy the lowest priced goods and services and the average person isn't willing to spend 3 more cents a year even if it saved the frigging planet. People here on this site are willing to spend owner's money to buy this or that for their favorite driver but if they themselves go to an event and it is partially rained out they bitch about not getting a rain check.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dan dan said:

A lot of small businesses can only afford to pay employees so much to stay in business. I know a bar/restaurant owner that did take out for a week, shut down and just opened back up for take out. His dishwasher, a kid in early 20s was making a couple hundred a week. Now he making 6-700 and can put some away and owner said he kinda would feel bad making him come back to work right away. 

Never to early to have a conversation about nothing being free. Anyone getting the money now needs to realize that A, there will be taxes on this income and B we will all be paying to dig out of this hole for years. And lastly, we all make choices. My brother in law wanted to sit it out thinking he’d capitalize on some handouts. Guess what? His previous employer now doesn’t have a job for him to come back to. So yeah, he’ll put some extra cash in his pocket in the short term but he’s going to lose big time in the long run. And if too many do this and the employers don’t have staff to sustain their operations than there will be fewer and fewer businesses left and the economy will tank. And to clarify I’m talking about the real economy, not the Wall Street racquet.