No politics thread... How are you keeping busy during the lockdown?

I've been catching up on scanning trade papers and race programs for results and corresponding pictures and posting a lot of it on my facebook page. If you saw what was in my computer and how organized it was, you'd think I was nuts. And I can't believe my scanner hasn't given up the ghost yet.

Example... Every track has it's own folder. Each track folder has sub folders for each year that it raced. Each year folder has sub folders for every day the track raced that year. All of the results and pictures for each race date are filed this way for easy retrieval. It's a pretty intense filing system.

Where this all comes in handy is when one of the historians at ARRA is compiling data for a driver or track. They may contact me for verification or data. Sometimes a track wants history info or sends someone to me for info. And more and more lately, I am getting driver requests for stats they accomplished.

I don't belong to any of the historian groups, but I am a friend to all of them and I'll help whenever I can.

And I still chase old long lost and forgotten speedways of NY when I can. 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, BobMiller said:

I've been catching up on scanning trade papers and race programs for results and corresponding pictures and posting a lot of it on my facebook page. If you saw what was in my computer and how organized it was, you'd think I was nuts. And I can't believe my scanner hasn't given up the ghost yet.

Example... Every track has it's own folder. Each track folder has sub folders for each year that it raced. Each year folder has sub folders for every day the track raced that year. All of the results and pictures for each race date are filed this way for easy retrieval. It's a pretty intense filing system.

Where this all comes in handy is when one of the historians at ARRA is compiling data for a driver or track. They may contact me for verification or data. Sometimes a track wants history info or sends someone to me for info. And more and more lately, I am getting driver requests for stats they accomplished.

I don't belong to any of the historian groups, but I am a friend to all of them and I'll help whenever I can.

And I still chase old long lost and forgotten speedways of NY when I can. 

Love to see this.  Bob - do you use any cloud storage service for all your work?  Just don't want you to be victim of a hard drive crash! 

I'm real thankful there is a race slotted for the majority of nights this month, since I don't watch a ton of regular TV and most of the series I did follow are now over for the season.  Plenty of nights I end up falling asleep before the feature, but it's nice to have that noise/visual back in my life.  

Bought a new house in December.. but I'm still petrified to try to  hang any pictures on the wall and ruin it by having them crooked (I'm not helpless, but not handy either!)  Last weekend we tore out one of the flower beds (had old white stone) and replaced everything with black mulch but still have the majority of beds around the house to do.  This weekend's ridiculously cold temperatures are postponing that job.  

Otherwise, my work has fortunately not been impacted and I had teleworked regularly before all this so it wasn't a huge adjustment to me except to not see people.  I've only really seen my best friend and my dad and we distance when we  do.  I get groceries delivered to avoid going to the store, too.  I enjoy making things like my little calendar for all the races.  I used to make a weekly one for all the college football games I'd like to watch but stopped that a season or two ago.  

And I'm always on the hunt for good high-resolution pics of tracks to decorate my home office! 

We got a puppy since my son has aged out of travel youth hockey and will be playing in high school with no more 4 day tournaments. We worked around the house and garage and my wife painted my sons game room. Really just trying to stay busy at home and wait it out until Cuomo allows racing and baseball because despite living in MA my son plays baseball in a N.Y. league.

1 minute ago, valleyfan said:

We got a puppy since my son has aged out of travel youth hockey and will be playing in high school with no more 4 day tournaments. We worked around the house and garage and my wife painted my sons game room. Really just trying to stay busy at home and wait it out until Cuomo allows racing and baseball because despite living in MA my son plays baseball in a N.Y. league.

If there's been one VERY small silver lining of this, I've seen where some shelters have been able to have all their animals adopted.  One of my friends also got a new family pup.  Really helps when we're all home for the training portion but as she said last night "you kind of forget about the puppy stage of dogs!"  

Have kept busy by continuing my research work for ARRA.  Very close to wrapping up a many months long project documenting the complete weekly winners list for Wall Stadium among other projects.  Stay tuned for a blockbuster research project that will be welcome by all Northeast fans.  Four or five of my historians have put in a yeomans effort in compiling stats for one of the greatest ever.  That will be out in a few weeks.  I have also been busy in the woodshop.  Most recently, I built someone a kitchen island.

20 minutes ago, jwin said:

If there's been one VERY small silver lining of this, I've seen where some shelters have been able to have all their animals adopted.  One of my friends also got a new family pup.  Really helps when we're all home for the training portion but as she said last night "you kind of forget about the puppy stage of dogs!"  

We picked up our puppy Tuesday and he is awesome. We always wanted one but travel hockey requires a lot of time away from home and we didn’t think it’d be fair to a dog until now. We tried shelters in MA, CT, NY and PA but most had pit bulls and dogs that when full grown would be too big for us. We found Tuuk named after Boston Bruins goalie Tuuka Rask in Canojoharie on an Amish farm.

78C52D8F-A292-4F43-81C3-3A1B73939697.jpeg

• Like 3
44 minutes ago, HowieTheHat said:

Have kept busy by continuing my research work for ARRA.  Very close to wrapping up a many months long project documenting the complete weekly winners list for Wall Stadium among other projects.  Stay tuned for a blockbuster research project that will be welcome by all Northeast fans.  Four or five of my historians have put in a yeomans effort in compiling stats for one of the greatest ever.  That will be out in a few weeks.  I have also been busy in the woodshop.  Most recently, I built someone a kitchen island.

I really appreciate everything you guys do!  It's nice to know that drivers' accomplishments are being recorded somewhere for posterity.  I'm glad Area Auto has digital copies now of their issues so at least the modern area can be archived a little easier without folks like you guys having to scour for missing issues from the old days. 

7 minutes ago, jwin said:

I really appreciate everything you guys do!  It's nice to know that drivers' accomplishments are being recorded somewhere for posterity.  I'm glad Area Auto has digital copies now of their issues so at least the modern area can be archived a little easier without folks like you guys having to scour for missing issues from the old days. 

Thanks.  It's just what we do.  We truly have a monumental project just now being completed and will be announced in a few weeks.

• Like 1

Regarding the lockdown vs still working... the people who are still working deserve a break. And the people who got sent home deserve to go back to work. It hasn't been a picnic either way.

Again - no politics in this thread.

• Thanks 1

We're not getting a break Bob, only the first responders and medical community will.  I'm not a hero for going to work, I get paid to work that's why I do it.  The people that have kept this nation going are the truckers and the mechanics that keep all these guys rolling.  Truckers NEVER get the credit they deserve, most would give you the shirt off their backs if you asked.  The truckers are the real patriots always have been. 

• Like 3

Physical therapy for me. Just started out patient in my county so I can do more than just home stuff. Now I'm just trying to figure out how I can get on my lawnmower and mow which I enjoy doing. Soon after I'm going to figure a way to transfer back on my truck. Also plan on doing some fishing.

58 minutes ago, atlkevin said:

We're not getting a break Bob, only the first responders and medical community will.  I'm not a hero for going to work, I get paid to work that's why I do it.  The people that have kept this nation going are the truckers and the mechanics that keep all these guys rolling.  Truckers NEVER get the credit they deserve, most would give you the shirt off their backs if you asked.  The truckers are the real patriots always have been. 

Just remember..........some day real soon there will be no more truck drivers 😄

Working. Busiest two months of my life. The good news / bad news was that my parents jumped in and helped out by watching our children so my wife and I didn’t have that worry. Of course this meant 7 weeks without them around which was tough. Kids are much more resilient so they adjusted. We are beginning to ramp back up the elective side of the business so the next few months will be much of the same. We have a house rented in August in PEI so I am looking forward to that. Up to that point I don’t think I’ll be taking a day off. 

I will add reading and watching some great documentaries including a slew of 30 for 30’s and the Last Dance on Netflix 

My story...I work in Health Care. I was furloughed on April 17th. Next week will be week number 4 of being stuck at home. I'm fortunate in many ways, as I was stocking up my freezer weeks prior to being furloughed.  

I watch a lot of old races and trying different recipes in my crockpot. I'm ready to go back to work. I am considered non clinical.  I am hopeful I will be back before my 60 day furlough is up.

Otherwise I bother Mallett and remember the day of Bob Miller dancing from the infield at Mohawk to gather his gear before the ice monsoon hit.

Working at Napa everyday trying to keep every ones cars going....Really just want this to end so we can go racing

• Like 1

At the New Year I tried the Instacart thing, for some extra cash during the racing off season. It’s pretty much turned into a full time gig now with delivery services being in such high demand. This current country wide situation sucks balls, but I’ll selfishly admit, I’m making more money than I ever have. It’s been super busy the last 2+ months.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, jumper12a said:

At the New Year I tried the Instacart thing, for some extra cash during the racing off season. It’s pretty much turned into a full time gig now with delivery services being in such high demand. This current country wide situation sucks balls, but I’ll selfishly admit, I’m making more money than I ever have. It’s been super busy the last 2+ months.

I signed up for it about a month ago, and so we don't have to pay a certain fee if our order is over $35, which we easily do every week.  Normally, I have to start a cart Sunday morning for delivery by Saturday. Last week every day was wide open so I was worried people are letting their guards down more. 

My best friend and I both use it together and make sure we generously tip.  All our delivery people have been great.  Do the ratings affect you at all, John?  My friend works at a call center so I know how important the surveys her company sends out are, so I'm always sure to give 5 stars.  

Stay safe! 

1 hour ago, jwin said:

I signed up for it about a month ago, and so we don't have to pay a certain fee if our order is over $35, which we easily do every week.  Normally, I have to start a cart Sunday morning for delivery by Saturday. Last week every day was wide open so I was worried people are letting their guards down more. 

My best friend and I both use it together and make sure we generously tip.  All our delivery people have been great.  Do the ratings affect you at all, John?  My friend works at a call center so I know how important the surveys her company sends out are, so I'm always sure to give 5 stars.  

Stay safe! 

Prior to the Virus stuff, the ratings did matter. Over the last couple of months, due to the high demand, lack of items on the shelves & delays, they don’t strike a bad rating against the delivery people.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, jumper12a said:

Prior to the Virus stuff, the ratings did matter. Over the last couple of months, due to the high demand, lack of items on the shelves & delays, they don’t strike a bad rating against the delivery people.

that's good that it doesn't hurt your rating. my girlfriend can't go shopping since she has an autoimmune disease but some of these shoppers she gets are total morons when it comes to substituting things. she ordered combos for her kids but they were out and the one person tried to substitute for crackers, lol   I can see a different brand or asking if a different flavor is ok but when it's not even the same type of item, wtf

hope you're doing well man

• Like 1
57 minutes ago, stratton87 said:

that's good that it doesn't hurt your rating. my girlfriend can't go shopping since she has an autoimmune disease but some of these shoppers she gets are total morons when it comes to substituting things. she ordered combos for her kids but they were out and the one person tried to substitute for crackers, lol   I can see a different brand or asking if a different flavor is ok but when it's not even the same type of item, wtf

hope you're doing well man

When it comes to substitutes:

1. In many cases the customer will have an option or 2 listed for the substitute when the Shopper clicks on the item isn’t available tab in the App we use.

2. A good Shopper, in the event a customer doesn’t have another option listed, will immediately contact the customer through the App, asking if they would prefer another choice, or simply refund the item.

3. There are times when the customer doesn’t have a substitution listed already, and they don’t respond to the Shopper with another option. In that event, the Shopper should make sure if there is an obvious substitution they can make on their own. If there isn’t, then a refund on the original item ordered is warranted.

Having said all that, please keep in mind, in most cases, a Shoppers tip is effected when items are refunded. That’s a big factor in why many Shoppers refuse to refund items, they’ll simply select whatever they choose. On the flip side, some customers will add things to their order while a Shopper is shopping for them. Now the tip is going up. I hope this helps.