Correct me if I’m wrong... A vaccine is taken because you don’t want to catch certain virus etc etc.... 

If a person doesn’t want to take a vaccine (I will NOT take a covid vaccine) that means the person can get the virus, but can’t spread it to those who have taken the vaccine correct? 

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Any chance at all that one of you guys that want to keep the circular arguement about politics going could be bothered to start a thread specifically for that so the rest of us don't have to read all

No matter what I say in reply here, you're only going to find fault with it. There was a time when I actually cared about that, so I'm not even going to try. Everyone affiliated with managing thi

Not wanting to get into a pissing match on a Internet forum? How's that working out for you? You do it in almost every thread. 

42 minutes ago, Joshua Jello Loughnot said:

Correct me if I’m wrong... A vaccine is taken because you don’t want to catch certain virus etc etc.... 

If a person doesn’t want to take a vaccine (I will NOT take a covid vaccine) that means the person can get the virus, but can’t spread it to those who have taken the vaccine correct? 

There are many reasons you take a vaccine. 

Vaccines can lower your chance of getting certain diseases. 

• Hepatitis B vaccine lowers your risk of liver cancer.
  • HPV vaccine lowers your risk of cervical cancer.
  • Flu vaccine lowers your risk of flu-related heart attacks or other flu-related complications from existing health conditions like diabetes and chronic lung disease.

You Can’t Afford to Get Sick

• You have a busy life and too much responsibility to risk getting sick.

Vaccines lower your chance of spreading disease

• Some people in your family or community may not be able to get certain vaccines due to their age or health condition. They rely on you to help prevent the spread of disease.
  • Infants, older adults, and people with weakened immune systems (like those undergoing cancer treatment) are especially vulnerable to infectious disease. For example, newborn babies are too young to be vaccinated against whooping cough. Unfortunately, whooping cough can be very dangerous or even deadly for them. Pregnant women should get the Tdap vaccine during every pregnancy to help protect their babies from whooping cough. Anyone who is around babies should be up to date with their whooping cough vaccine.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/adults/reasons-to-vaccinate.html

This isn't as simple as we're all just going to wear different "jerseys" to identify if someone has been vaccinated vs. someone who hasn't and you can just steer clear of a fellow unvaccinated person.  You can get the virus, may not spread it to a vaccinated person; but you have no way of knowing who you're coming in contact with that has been or hasn't been vaccinated and can spread it to other people that haven't or can't be vaccinated.

1 hour ago, JohnyC said:

This is why scientists say that a best case scenario is 18 months to 2 years. This actually represents a really optimistic outcome. So when the president says we already have a vaccine or pushes prematurely to stage two trials it speaks of a desperation born in trying to win an election. Prior to a vaccine ever coming to market their needs to be levels of testing, review and analysis. So yes, if it is rushed it might not be safe and may not work. Again, we need to shift focus; so much of what is happening right now is about Wall Street. Rather then stimulate Fortune 500 companies the money should be going to the American taxpayer so they can cover rent, etc. Access to testing must be available and free of charge. And there needs to be help for the small businesses and farming community. Watching 60 minutes last week made me want to puke. Reminds me of the story of a warden down south who discovered that he could keep the balance remaining from his food budget. So to enrich himself at the expense of the health of the inmates he bought a 53 footer filled with pogos. It’s unreal to me to think someone would do this. But here we are. Enrich the rich and F*^% everyone else 

While I don’t believe any vaccine will be really effective and safe until after a lot of trials and testing, once again claiming the president is telling people that a vaccine is close, is an attempt to win an election is incorrect. The pharmaceutical companies developing the vaccines are the ones claiming this, as it will be a massive money maker. Should Trump not repeat what is being said within the pharmaceutical industry? I’d be willing to bet whatever vaccine gets approved first, will have connections to Bill Gates and Dr. Fauci, much like remdesivir, the only drug that apparently Fauci believes helps fight covid.

52 minutes ago, Joshua Jello Loughnot said:

If it truly worked, yes.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, jwin said:

Media manipulation is absolutely a thing..but you are not correct in saying "that video proves that ABC has an agenda and that the local affiliates are told word for word what they must say."  

In a way, you've unknowingly been a victim of media manipulation yourself... since the video you linked to is from 2020, but that actual compilation are what are known as "must-runs" from Sinclair-owned stations across all networked affiliates (NBC, ABC, Fox, CBS, The CW, and Univision alike) from 2018 and all 193 affiliates had to run certain segments, including this "fake news" one, and was the subject of many reports when it was first compiled.  So the conglomerate Sinclair is the one that's manipulating their once-trusted local news media members and forcing them to run these types of stories.

Being 100% honest here, I've known for quite a while that the news did this. It's just that nobody ever took the time to prove it is all.

It happens on both sides, I agree - but the media is not a fan of Donald Trump (much of it his fault), and they'll tilt their stories every time to take camouflage any good he might have done.

I'm not saying I am smarter than anyone else out there, but I've always known that when you watch one news source for your news, a controversial story on one station says the guy is guilty and another news station claims he is innocent. There are some gullible MF'ers out there that believe if something is (or isn't) on the news, it must be (or can't be) true. This video proves that the media has an agenda beyond a shadow of a doubt, and that it is absolutely politically motivated.

I did learn something though, and that is how they do it. Always knew it was happening, just never put much thought into how they pull it off. Now we know.

1 hour ago, jwin said:

There are many reasons you take a vaccine. 

Vaccines can lower your chance of getting certain diseases. 

• Hepatitis B vaccine lowers your risk of liver cancer.
  • HPV vaccine lowers your risk of cervical cancer.
  • Flu vaccine lowers your risk of flu-related heart attacks or other flu-related complications from existing health conditions like diabetes and chronic lung disease.

You Can’t Afford to Get Sick

• You have a busy life and too much responsibility to risk getting sick.

Vaccines lower your chance of spreading disease

• Some people in your family or community may not be able to get certain vaccines due to their age or health condition. They rely on you to help prevent the spread of disease.
  • Infants, older adults, and people with weakened immune systems (like those undergoing cancer treatment) are especially vulnerable to infectious disease. For example, newborn babies are too young to be vaccinated against whooping cough. Unfortunately, whooping cough can be very dangerous or even deadly for them. Pregnant women should get the Tdap vaccine during every pregnancy to help protect their babies from whooping cough. Anyone who is around babies should be up to date with their whooping cough vaccine.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/adults/reasons-to-vaccinate.html

This isn't as simple as we're all just going to wear different "jerseys" to identify if someone has been vaccinated vs. someone who hasn't and you can just steer clear of a fellow unvaccinated person.  You can get the virus, may not spread it to a vaccinated person; but you have no way of knowing who you're coming in contact with that has been or hasn't been vaccinated and can spread it to other people that haven't or can't be vaccinated.

My grandmother died in early 2000s. She was old, 86. Lived a good life. She had taken the flu shot and still got the flu which lead to pneumonia. Which I believe would be the final reason for her passing besides age...

Personally, I’m just not a fan of anything to do with this Covid 19. Bats, Labs or whatever the reason for this outbreak. Not a big fan of a government, about to tell me I have to take something... 

Then to add in the multiple people I know who will refuse. This is going to get messy... Real messy...

55 minutes ago, BobMiller said:

Being 100% honest here, I've known for quite a while that the news did this. It's just that nobody ever took the time to prove it is all.

It happens on both sides, I agree - but the media is not a fan of Donald Trump (much of it his fault), and they'll tilt their stories every time to take camouflage any good he might have done.

I'm not saying I am smarter than anyone else out there, but I've always known that when you watch one news source for your news, a controversial story on one station says the guy is guilty and another news station claims he is innocent. There are some gullible MF'ers out there that believe if something is (or isn't) on the news, it must be (or can't be) true. This video proves that the media has an agenda beyond a shadow of a doubt, and that it is absolutely politically motivated.

I did learn something though, and that is how they do it. Always knew it was happening, just never put much thought into how they pull it off. Now we know.

Would really suggest giving the John Oliver video that was embedded in article I linked a look, it's about 20 minutes long though. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvtNyOzGogc&feature=youtu.be)

I'd caution before painting "the media" with such a broad brush, after all, it was a media outlet, Deadspin, that exposed this story originally.  I don't know the context of how it was presented where you saw it but it almost seems like it's being repackaged to now turn against traditional media, when Sinclair itself was the "villain" here.  

Oliver said that Sinclair produces commentary segments themselves and sends them to their affiliates and the best they can tell, no other major owner of TV stations distributes its own commentary segments to run during local news.  

Here's the transcript of that full segment that was mashed together, with some commentary from a blogger: 

“Hi, I’m(A) ____________, and I’m (B) _________________…
(B) Our greatest responsibility is to serve our Northwest communities. [And yet we’ll now proceed to obsess over the work of the national news media.] We are extremely proud of the quality, balanced journalism that KOMO News produces.
(A) But we’re concerned about the troubling trend of irresponsible, one sided news stories plaguing our country. The sharing of biased and false news has become all too common on social media. [We will provide no examples to illuminate this plague, but you know what we mean.]
(B) More alarming, some media outlets publish these same fake stories … stories that just aren’t true, without checking facts first. [Bogus reporting has been part of journalism since journalism was born, but we won’t provide data or examples to illuminate why this bears pointing out in April 2018.]
(A) Unfortunately, some members of the media use their platforms to push their own personal bias and agenda to control ‘exactly what people think.’ [Random and nonsensical quotation marks are a mainstay of the Trump era.] … This is extremely dangerous to a democracy. [Right — as is an unsupported, evidence-free slam against the country’s press.]
(B) At KOMO it’s our responsibility to pursue and report the truth. We understand Truth is neither politically ‘left nor right.’ Our commitment to factual reporting is the foundation of our credibility, now more than ever. [And it’s why we snatched up Chief Political Analyst Boris Epshteyn fresh off his stint in the Trump White House!]
(A) But we are human and sometimes our reporting might fall short. If you believe our coverage is unfair please reach out to us by going to KOMOnews.com and clicking on CONTENT CONCERNS. We value your comments. We will respond back to you.
(B) We work very hard to seek the truth and strive to be fair, balanced and factual. … We consider it our honor, our privilege to responsibly deliver the news every day.
(A) Thank you for watching and we appreciate your feedback.”

4 hours ago, Joshua Jello Loughnot said:

Not necessarily. It’s rare but we see people get chicken pox more then once. We see vaccinated people get it too. I get the flu shot each year and I haven’t gotten the flu in years. I know others who take it and still get it.  It’s not an exact science. So again, suggesting a vaccine will suddenly fix everything is simply not true however it should dramatically reduce the rate of transmission. 

And when you’re the leader it does matter what you say. The President is an exceptionally influential person. Just look at his comments on oil about a month ago and the impact it had on the stock market. Shoot people were ingesting toxic chemical. That’s unfettered trust 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Back on topic, saw this video post - this was last night at St. Francois County Raceway in Farmington, Missouri... look at all the cars lining the road. 

https://www.facebook.com/jordan.merseal/videos/10220562596550349/

Apparently packed grandstands, not social distancing.  Obviously this is the same state as Pevely which is hosting several events this month.  You have to hope this doesn't set things back.. Kenny Dobson (Jacksonville Speedway) tweeted: Unpopular opinion. If you are lucky enough to have a track in a state where you can race with restrictions. At least make an effort to follow them. Other states won't trust the industry with any amount of leash. And other tracks in your state will pay the price later. and Way too many pics of full grandstands coming out of Mo this weekend. (Not talking about Pevely).  There are some really cool events that have the green light to race in coming weeks. Please don't blow it on the first weekend.

Johnny Gibson quote tweeted him and echoed the sentiments.  I'm sure the night was a home run for the track but they should hope this doesn't have negative repercussions. 

1 hour ago, jwin said:

I don't know the context of how it was presented where you saw it but it almost seems like it's being repackaged to now turn against traditional media, when Sinclair itself was the "villain" here.  

There wasn't any context. It appeared in my facebook newsfeed as a link. No description, no opinion of the poster. And it wasn't posted by anyone with party alliance or with a vendetta. It was posted out of the blue by someone who tries to walk the middle like myself, and largely stays away from political posts on social media.

You may be right. Sinclair may be the villain in this particular case, who tells affiliates verbatim what they must say. But every one of the major news sources is guilty at times of what they do and do not put on the news. A good example would be when someone goes off the deep end and starts shooting up a mall, school or workplace. They glamorize the shooting because it draws views. They've even started naming these shooting sprees like they are a hurricane or tornado. But when an armed civilian stops one of these events from happening, all you hear are crickets.

I just want to say one thing here. I don't usually put much faith in reading notes or books about an event because the writer is conveying an opinion. When you see the videos on the internet where it looks as if a cop is using too much force, the video only that part. They always seem to start right where the cop is using force. What about the events that led up to the cop being forced to use his taser or drawing his gun? 

That portion of the video never gets seen. But in court, the charges are always dropped against the cop, which further escalates the notion that the courts are rigged in favor of cops. 

52 minutes ago, BobMiller said:

There wasn't any context. It appeared in my facebook newsfeed as a link. No description, no opinion of the poster. And it wasn't posted by anyone with party alliance or with a vendetta. It was posted out of the blue by someone who tries to walk the middle like myself, and largely stays away from political posts on social media.

You may be right. Sinclair may be the villain in this particular case, who tells affiliates verbatim what they must say. But every one of the major news sources is guilty at times of what they do and do not put on the news. A good example would be when someone goes off the deep end and starts shooting up a mall, school or workplace. They glamorize the shooting because it draws views. They've even started naming these shooting sprees like they are a hurricane or tornado. But when an armed civilian stops one of these events from happening, all you hear are crickets.

I just want to say one thing here. I don't usually put much faith in reading notes or books about an event because the writer is conveying an opinion. When you see the videos on the internet where it looks as if a cop is using too much force, the video only that part. They always seem to start right where the cop is using force. What about the events that led up to the cop being forced to use his taser or drawing his gun? 

That portion of the video never gets seen. But in court, the charges are always dropped against the cop, which further escalates the notion that the courts are rigged in favor of cops. 

Kinda like Jimmy Kimmell posting a doctored video in an attempt to smear the Vice President.....his video got millions of views.....people went nuts over it.....once it was proved incorrect and was a lie....his apology was seen by about 5000 people and was not reported by most media outlets. 

58 minutes ago, rpm72x said:

Kinda like Jimmy Kimmell posting a doctored video in an attempt to smear the Vice President.....his video got millions of views.....people went nuts over it.....once it was proved incorrect and was a lie....his apology was seen by about 5000 people and was not reported by most media outlets. 

I wonder what Jimmy Kimmel, Trevor Noah and the other late night tv show hosts are going to talk about whenever Donald Trump is no longer President (whether that be in November or in 4 more years)? The President sure has given them lots of material; some warranted, some not so much. 

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, DIRTCar97 said:

I wonder what Jimmy Kimmel, Trevor Noah and the other late night tv show hosts are going to talk about whenever Donald Trump is no longer President (whether that be in November or in 4 more years)? The President sure has given them lots of material; some warranted, some not so much. 

I’m MORE than willing to find out come January !

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, DIRTCar97 said:

I bet they won’t joke about sleepy joe. Bill Maher went on a rant the other night and basically said that even if he did sexually assault Tara Reid she should have kept her mouth shut a few extra months. Her problems should not exceed the problems many are facing now. Could you imagine if a republican or a Trump supporter went on TV and said the same thing. The left wing media would have that person fired and publicly stoned to death. All of the movie stars and celebrities can spout off from their soap box, like they are social leaders. It’s easy when your rich and have nothing else to worry about. If you gave them all an option to end all social/sexual/and racial injustice but in exchange they all had to do manual labor and bust their ass to make it, they would all tell you to go to hell they are staying rich. 

3 hours ago, JohnyC said:

And when you’re the leader it does matter what you say. The President is an exceptionally influential person. Just look at his comments on oil about a month ago and the impact it had on the stock market. Shoot people were ingesting toxic chemical. That’s unfettered trust 

Your correct the president is extremely influential. But, if there are multiple pharmaceutical companies and news outlets claiming the vaccines are coming faster than expected, and Trump sat up and said nope, 2 years....don’t listen to them. He would get bashed for having zero optimism. He gets bashed for having optimism. As far as the disinfectant quote....I am no brain surgeon, but I have listened to that segment of his presser multiple times and never once felt he told me to go drink Clorox. If you took what he said as direction to swap out heroin for Lysol in your syringe, and you did it, good riddance. He continues to be bashed for not doing enough, yet we have tested more people than the rest of the world basically combined, he supplied hospitals.....yes whole hospitals....where they were supposedly needed, switched complete industries to making PPE and yet he hasn’t done enough. Cuomo blasts him for not helping NY, while he refused to shut down the covid-19 super highway subway system, and sent covid patients to nursing homes who told him they couldn’t take care of them. All the while there are empty field hospitals and military ships. I believe the news stated over 5000 nursing home deaths in NY alone, that’s on the governor and no one else. 

26 minutes ago, rpm72x said:

Your correct the president is extremely influential. But, if there are multiple pharmaceutical companies and news outlets claiming the vaccines are coming faster than expected, and Trump sat up and said nope, 2 years....don’t listen to them. He would get bashed for having zero optimism. He gets bashed for having optimism. As far as the disinfectant quote....I am no brain surgeon, but I have listened to that segment of his presser multiple times and never once felt he told me to go drink Clorox. If you took what he said as direction to swap out heroin for Lysol in your syringe, and you did it, good riddance. He continues to be bashed for not doing enough, yet we have tested more people than the rest of the world basically combined, he supplied hospitals.....yes whole hospitals....where they were supposedly needed, switched complete industries to making PPE and yet he hasn’t done enough. Cuomo blasts him for not helping NY, while he refused to shut down the covid-19 super highway subway system, and sent covid patients to nursing homes who told him they couldn’t take care of them. All the while there are empty field hospitals and military ships. I believe the news stated over 5000 nursing home deaths in NY alone, that’s on the governor and no one else. 

Huge difference between being optimistic and purposely misinforming the public about when a vaccine will be ready. You never answered me about the fake stock market that he promoted.  Not even close to being the best stock market ever. Do you agree?

15 minutes ago, DowntheBackStretch said:

Huge difference between being optimistic and purposely misinforming the public about when a vaccine will be ready. You never answered me about the fake stock market that he promoted.  Not even close to being the best stock market ever. Do you agree?

Nope. The best ever nope, but to try and make it seem like it hasn’t been very good is just as disingenuous. Many of us were doing very very well for the last 3 years. According to some pharmaceutical companies, his timeline may not be incorrect. Your issue is you listen and interpret what you want to hear, not what is actually said.

11 minutes ago, rpm72x said:

Nope. The best ever nope, but to try and make it seem like it hasn’t been very good is just as disingenuous. Many of us were doing very very well for the last 3 years. According to some pharmaceutical companies, his timeline may not be incorrect. Your issue is you listen and interpret what you want to hear, not what is actually said.

He said word for word in his State of the Union in February that the US economy is "roaring" and "the best it has ever been."

You saying he meant something different?

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Sicklajoie said:

He said word for word in his State of the Union in February that the US economy is "roaring" and "the best it has ever been."

You saying he meant something different?

Are you saying the US economy wasn’t roaring? You saying it was doing something different? It’s totally ok to agree that the economy was booming, as long as we say it was created by Obama. For the last 3 years if you wanted to go get it, you could do extremely well. 

• Thanks 1

The economy was booming for who? Why are so many people claiming unemployment and going bankrupt after 2 months?

You honestly can’t understand why so many have filed for unemployment? When most of the country was told to shut down? We have no idea the bankruptcy rate at this point, but if you run a business based on public consumption and your bills don’t stop but income does for 2-3 months it will be tough to continue. That doesn’t mean the owner or employees all go broke and file bankruptcy. That may mean the owner doesn’t want to go broke keeping something afloat. 

Maybe myself along with a large number of people I know live in a bubble that has done well the last few years. Maybe president Trump hand selected some of us and decided to make things better for us. In that case thank you President Trump, you have my vote in 2020! 

I have heard liberals cry about money/working for years, better pay, equal workplace rights, better working environments, more environmental restrictions, higher taxes for the wealthy, cut down corporate America, punish the rich for living the American dream, equal financial distribution....etc etc. Maybe if they spent less time bitching about what others have and more time figuring out how to accomplish it on their own, the economy would be great for everyone. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Makes sense, but i don't think the economy was as good as you think. The federal reserve doesn't cut interest rates in a "booming" economy. Smoke and mirrors.

Back to the really cool and eye opening youtube video Mr. Miller put up.. None of those stations are owned by ABC, NBC, CBS, or Fox. They are owned by conglomerates. Every one of the channel 7 news agency is actually owned by a corporation. I don't think there are any that are actually owned locally or independently anymore in the country. But all the local news stations get a lot of their scripts for these promos directly from the companies that own them. The majority of the national news that the local news uses its all prescript-ed by the AP. Its not shocking that they all are reading the same promo. And its not some form of mind control. What they were doing was called a PSA, Public Service Announcement. Which most the time comes from the Government, sometimes the state sometimes federal. 

By the way this is not a political statement or argument.. Just letting everyone know the facts. Both Republican and Democratic people are in charge of these groups. Many are owned by Investment groups.

10 hours ago, rpm72x said:

And his comments regarding Hydroxychloroquine?

But just to be clear as a a percentage of population the United States ranks 9th in testing, behind Spain, Italy, Canada and others. In other words, yes they have done more tests, but the country has a much larger population. 

Sounds like Cuomo has had a number of missteps too. The argument above reads like “yeah, but this guy also made mistakes”. Maybe at the end of the day they both managed this poorly. A great number of leaders have including our Prime Minister. This isn’t about politics it’s about leadership and some are just not up to the job. Wether it be spreading misinformation, not responding quickly enough, not working in partnership, not listening to science, discounting the magnitude, there was a great deal of mistakes made with varying degree of fault being passed among all political parties at all levels of government. Heck, here in Ottawa we had a major overreaction when we disallowed window visits. It’s all all levels 

In American society, “social welfare benefits” are often conflated with the theory of and colloquially referred to as “socialism

So who benefits from from tax payers money?

Feel free to add any

Military

Politicians

Municipal employees

Police

Farmers        Payed to not grow wheat

Oil companies 

Auto companies    Tax subsidies

Sports companies    Building Tax breaks

Rich persons who pay little or no personal taxes