• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The only reason I included Kenny Rogers was that just about every one of us saw the movie Six Pack a half dozen times because it is a racing movie.

Edited again with the passing of Roy Shields.  

He’s not a local person to the dirt track scene but I think Kobe Bryant’s sudden unexpected death certainly shook a large portion of this country. (I noticed Kenny Rogers was on there).

Posted Images

There’s a devastating name to add to the list. Our very own Mike Bonesky.  He’s been around these forums since the beginning. His footprint is embedded in the foundation of the DTD community and in the local motorsports community. 

Noted Southern Tier Auto Racing Historian, race car letterer from the seventies and eighties and co-author of an upcoming book about the history of the now defunct Shangri-La Speedway in Owego, New York; Dr. Gary A. J. George passed away last Saturday night at the Robert Packer Hospital from the Covid 19 Virus. His racing career started back in the sixties as a crew man for a number of Five Mile Point and Shangri-La race teams. He evolved to lettering many race cars in the Southern Tier Area with a distinctive Signs by A.J. logo and a hometown somewhere a Sprint Car lover would know. In the past decade and a half he turned to delving into the history of the sport, giving talks and lectures at such venues as IMMRC and researching the defunct "big car" tracks that existed in the area prior to WWII such as Campville and Kirkwood. His latest project almost which is almost complete talks about the rich and glorious history of Shangri-La Speedway.

• Sad 1

This is getting really tough. I've just been informed of the passing of two drivers from the Stateline/Eriez circuit. Ronnie Blackmer and Dave Turner both last night (12/14) and both due to complications of the Corona Virus. This came from racing historian Thomas Schmeh of Owego, New York. Also on this list was track's (Stateline/Eriez) photographer Olen Seidler three days ago (12/11). This year still isn't over but I wish it would be. It's been very long. 

• Sad 1

Bob, Ted Luft passed away last night in Ellis Hospital in Schenectady after being in a coma for 10 days. Many will remember Teddy from the late 70's & 80's when he ran competetively in Dirt modified....he was a good friend for 60 years ...RIP Teddy

Fakebook strikes again. I didn't hear that then but I saw it early yesterday morning as a new item. Cleaning that up now.

Wow:(( 

I was going to look him up. Last I saw him he was down in Florida and I go there in winter some . Any idea what happened? I meant Mike when he was promoting Black Rock. Always went out of his way to help the racers. Always smiling and pleasant! A true loss:((

Condolences to his family and especially his brother Stacey they were 2 peas in a pod. They were truly close.

Another great name to add to this very sad list. SCCA Hall of Famer and Auto World founder Oscar Koveleski passed away on Monday December 28, 2020. He was 88 years old. A very likable person with a lot of racing credentials. He raced against some very important people like Mark Donahue, Bruce McLaren and Denny Hulme. He also promoted SCCA races at Pocono for almost 20 years starting in 1980. He also did business through Auto World which dealt in scale model and slot car. If you ever met Oscar your forgot him. He lived in Clarks Summit, Pa. I sincerely hope this is the last entry in this horrible year.

On 12/31/2020 at 5:23 PM, Eagleonemotorsports said:

Wow:(( 

Any idea what happened? I meant Mike when he was promoting Black Rock. Always went out of his way to help the racers. Always smiling and pleasant! A true loss:((

I am not a spokesperson for the family, but I did know and became friends with Mike during his tenure at Black Rock a few years ago. Mike's family probably wouldn't mind me saying that he passed from an extremely aggressive form of throat cancer.