Drivers -- which class is the most fun to drive

All other things being equal, for those who have driven several different classes, which class is the most fun to drive? (Would be interested in first-hand observations from drivers and second-hand reports from those who have heard drivers' comments)

Big blocks? 358s? Sportsman? 410 Sprints? 358 Sprints? Crate Sprints? 305 Sprints? Wingless sprints? Pro Stocks? 600 micros -- winged or wingless? Legends? 600 cc Mods? Modified Lites? Gokarts? The low-downforce (pre-1980s bodies) Vintage classes? Crate Late Model? Super Late Model?

I mean, few folks are out there racing for money, as much as racing what their budget can allow. But which class is the most fun/exciting to drive on a consistent basis? Which class gives the driver the most fun for their $$$? Is there a class that is just a ton of fun because of how the car handles?

I know, there are a lot of "depends on the track/conditions" and obviously, "whichever one is set up best," but I would love to hear overall comparison for those who have moved around in different classes.

From the driver's perspective, what is the real difference between different classes in terms of how much fun or how much of a challenge they are? (I know there are obvious things like, Big Blocks have a ton of throttle response whereas Sportsman is a momentum class), but just for the folks who have never strapped into a car, I'd love to hear your experience?

Of the three classes I’ve driven (358, sportsman and mod lite) mod lite is by far the most fun on a consistent basis. 

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Adam Leslie said:

Of the three classes I’ve driven (358, sportsman and mod lite) mod lite is by far the most fun on a consistent basis. 

Thank you. Curious, is it because the car is so light and with the shorter wheelbase, it is just a handful?

Do you stay in 358s / Sportsman because of the prestige/challenge?

4 minutes ago, BillSmith said:

Thank you. Curious, is it because the car is so light and with the shorter wheelbase, it is just a handful?

Do you stay in 358s / Sportsman because of the prestige/challenge?

I just thought they where very fast paced. Like a large go kart. Could always find a way around someone, most tracks have a lot of room when you’re in one of those, where you could run 4/5/6 wide at times. 

We stay in sportsman for a couple reasons, the car for the most part pays for itself with the payouts we get and we can run many nights a week every week, from April till October. (When not restricted by this pandemic) 

Im going to give 2 answers here.  First, my favorite to actually drive was wingless 600 micro on a small bullring track.  Nimble little cars, close racing, etc....it was always fun.  Fairly easy to at least get around the track, but quite difficult to do it fast enough to be up front.  Most fun driving a race car I've ever had for sure.  But owning that car was a different story.  I'd never buy one of those cars again, at least how the situation with them is here in Florida right now.  They're incredibly expensive for what they are (and what you race for), the engines are very complicated and super hard to reliably tech so there is always a few people running well beyond the rules, and honestly those cars are without a doubt the most dangerous I've ever been in.

Second answer, most fun overall experience was when i raced my buddies 4cyl bomber.  Seriously, no kidding....They're super fun to drive  The whole car costs about the same as a good steak dinner so if you wad it up, whatever.  And there was always a bunch of them.      

I’ve driven Endoro cars, 4 cyl, Sportsman on asphalt, Sportsman on dirt and Vintage Modified. The most fun for me was the vintage modified for a couple reasons. I started racing only a couple times a year in endoro races it was fun and we always finished at or near the top. It was fun but I craved more. That brought me to 4 cyl “rookie stock”. After my first race in that class I knew it wasn’t enough. The completion was pretty good but the cars are not fast enough from a driver standpoint and front wheel drive is not great for racing. Before the end of that season I bought a sportsman. I raced sportsman for quite a few years after that with some success. The competition is great, the cars are fast and safe but also very expensive to maintain. As much fun as I had in the back of my head I always thought of the cost if I wreaked. Even when I had the pleasure of driving for someone else I guess the pressure I put on myself took away from the fun factor. While driving for Stewart Racing I raced my own sportsman on asphalt a handful of times. We won a race and were competitive but passing at the now closed Capital City Speedway was nearly impossible which made the racing a little boring. I took a year off then built a Vintage Modified and ran with the Eastern Ontario Vintage Stock Car Club.  This was the most fun I had racing. First off the cars have no downforce so they are a challenge to drive which I loved. Also the members of the club were very welcoming and great guys to race with. We also had a lot of success wining at different tracks which is always fun. Nothing beats watching your kids win in go-karts though! Beats winning in a car yourself by 10 times!! 

• Like 1

Again, thanks for all of the replies and explanation. I always thought the classes that came up -- Mod Lites, the Vintage Mods and 600 wingless micros -- all looked like a blast to drive. Modern Modifieds/Sportsman seem kind of "locked down" on the track, whereas the other classes seem more like the traditional "power slide it through the turns and hold on" kind of classes.

I also think the xcel 600 Mods look like a ton of fun -- smaller and lighter (and faster) than the Mod Lites, seemed like a really exciting car to drive as they were really nimble and fast, only about $10,000. It seemed they have dropped off in popularity the past couple of years, but 4-5 years ago their tour races in PA regularly drew 30-40 entries.