I'm seriously considering going to the PA speed week coming up. Starting 6-27 at Lincoln thru 7-2 at Hagerstown would be the races I attend, looking at a map it would seem that Harrisburg would be the best spot to settle into a hotel room for 6 nights. Anybody familiar with the area have any helpful advice? I'm coming from upstate NY. 

1 hour ago, zedsded said:

I'm seriously considering going to the PA speed week coming up. Starting 6-27 at Lincoln thru 7-2 at Hagerstown would be the races I attend, looking at a map it would seem that Harrisburg would be the best spot to settle into a hotel room for 6 nights. Anybody familiar with the area have any helpful advice? I'm coming from upstate NY. 

I am not from that area.  But I would recommend Comfort Inn in Mechanicsburg if available.  Stayed there before . Decent place with a wing bar across street. And sort of central located if your going to all tracks

Harrisburg west (i.e on the west side of the Susquehanna River)  area is a good spot, very close to Williams Grove, equidistant to Lincoln and Port. 

If you stay in Harrisburg but east of the river you’ll be farther away and have more traffic to deal with. 

Mechanicsburg and Carlisle are good options, both west of the river. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, zedsded said:

Carlisle area would be good spot to stay. You would be within an hour of all the tracks except Grandview and that would be around a two hour ride for you. Lots of hotels in that area depending on what you are looking for.

1 hour ago, RJO said:

Carlisle area would be good spot to stay. You would be within an hour of all the tracks except Grandview and that would be around a two hour ride for you. Lots of hotels in that area depending on what you are looking for.

Not looking for anything fancy. A reasonably priced clean room. I'd like to be walking distance to some restaurants and maybe some bars, some kind of night life in case of a rainout. I'm not even sure if things are open in PA but they are allowing fans at the tracks so I'm assuming they are. So its between Mechanicsburg and Carlisle so far.

Comfort Inn West Harrisburg is my usual joint. Staying at Wyndam for the Natty Open due to some dumb. That area has a couple restaurants but no bars I know of. If you can get something closer to Lincoln that might fit the bill. Port, Lincoln, The Grove, Hagerstown all within about an hour of Lincoln itself. Grandview's a little more than that I think but nothing crazy. Staying farther away from Harrisburg should be cheaper too.

Wish we could do all of Speedweek but the world sort of threw a wrench into all our plans so we're making this up as we go now... Just like everyone else. I cleared out our schedule to August 2nd so up to then, we're winging it week to week.

12 hours ago, zedsded said:

Not looking for anything fancy. A reasonably priced clean room. I'd like to be walking distance to some restaurants and maybe some bars, some kind of night life in case of a rainout. I'm not even sure if things are open in PA but they are allowing fans at the tracks so I'm assuming they are. So its between Mechanicsburg and Carlisle so far.

Outdoor seating is available at most restaurants. I don't think any place is doing indoor seating yet. That could change though in a week or two once more things go into green. 

4 hours ago, tygarl said:

Outdoor seating is available at most restaurants. I don't think any place is doing indoor seating yet. That could change though in a week or two once more things go into green. 

Harrisburg is supposed to be moving to "green" starting Friday, so, they should be able to do limited indoor seating starting then which means you'd be all set for Speed Week. 

14 hours ago, zedsded said:

New Cumberland is worth looking at. Not a ton of hotel options but a few right off the highway, and that town has a few restaurants and bars that are nice. It's 20 minutes to the Grove (if that) and less than an hour to Lincoln and Port Royal.

15 hours ago, westracing01 said:

Comfort Inn West Harrisburg is my usual joint. Staying at Wyndam for the Natty Open due to some dumb. That area has a couple restaurants but no bars I know of. If you can get something closer to Lincoln that might fit the bill. Port, Lincoln, The Grove, Hagerstown all within about an hour of Lincoln itself. Grandview's a little more than that I think but nothing crazy. Staying farther away from Harrisburg should be cheaper too.

Wish we could do all of Speedweek but the world sort of threw a wrench into all our plans so we're making this up as we go now... Just like everyone else. I cleared out our schedule to August 2nd so up to then, we're winging it week to week.

I'm leaning towards this one. Lincoln, Selinsgrove, and the Port are all 50ish minutes away. Grandview and Hagerstown are both about 90 minutes. I'm thinking I should wait a few days to be sure places will be open, my big concern being restaurants. 

I am staying at the Days Inn in Gettysburg. I made reservations last Friday night.

On Floracing they are going to have the Indiana Midget Week. starting at June 16th at 6:30pm

Harrisburg will be a pain ... the recommendations for Mechanicsburg and Carlisle are solid, centrally located, normally reasonable pricing. The furthest drive will be Grandview, but just get on the turnpike and go, so it's an easy drive. The rest of the tracks are very easy to get to.

I would normally recommend a visit to Gettysburg while you are there (only 10-15 minutes from Lincoln), but because July 1-3 is the anniversary of the battle, the town will be mobbed.

• Like 1

Is the battlefield even open? We go every year when down there for The Open. If you've never been, it's an absolute must. Stand on the Confederate side of the line, looking across a mile of open field and imagine thousands of dug in Union troops on the ridge in the distance, knowing that the boys that stood where you stood marched across that field to almost certain death... Do that and tell me you don't get goosebumps. That place is amazing and is worth a week trip just to go there. You can't do it all in a day and appreciate it. 

Sorry, minor segway there. West Harrisburg really isn't Harrisburg. It's actually South of Harrisburg on the map right off 15. A Hotel there and you deal with no Harrisburg traffic for Lincoln, The Grove or Hagerstown and you can get to the Port going the backway over the hill. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, westracing01 said:

Is the battlefield even open? We go every year when down there for The Open. If you've never been, it's an absolute must. Stand on the Confederate side of the line, looking across a mile of open field and imagine thousands of dug in Union troops on the ridge in the distance, knowing that the boys that stood where you stood marched across that field to almost certain death... Do that and tell me you don't get goosebumps. That place is amazing and is worth a week trip just to go there. You can't do it all in a day and appreciate it. 

Sorry, minor segway there. West Harrisburg really isn't Harrisburg. It's actually South of Harrisburg on the map right off 15. A Hotel there and you deal with no Harrisburg traffic for Lincoln, The Grove or Hagerstown and you can get to the Port going the backway over the hill. 

Tried to go to Path Valley twice and both times rained out.  Did the package of the Gettysburg Museum, Battlefield  Bus tour and Theatre/Movie.  Well worth it

After changing my mind 37 times I went cheap and booked a room in Carlisle for 6 nights. Definitely going to try to do the Gettysburg thing.

1 hour ago, westracing01 said:

Gettysburg is absolutely a sobering, amazing experience, well worth the trip.

The tragedy of Pickett's Charge was that they thought the Confederate guns had really softened up the Union lines. Due to all of the smoke, the Confederates couldn't see that they were actually shooting over the Union and completely missing them. So they charged into Union lines at full strength across a mile of open field ... terrible loss of life.

No matter where you stand on the how and why this country go to the Civil War and Gettysburgh, that battlefield is a very sobering reminder of the terrible struggle our country endured and it's hard not to imagine what it would have felt like to be a young kid (some of the drummers were barley teenagers or even younger if memory serves right), fresh off the farm and sent to the horrors of war in a distant land.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, BillSmith said:

The tragedy of Pickett's Charge was that they thought the Confederate guns had really softened up the Union lines. Due to all of the smoke, the Confederates couldn't see that they were actually shooting over the Union and completely missing them. So they charged into Union lines at full strength across a mile of open field ... terrible loss of life.

No matter where you stand on the how and why this country go to the Civil War and Gettysburgh, that battlefield is a very sobering reminder of the terrible struggle our country endured and it's hard not to imagine what it would have felt like to be a young kid (some of the drummers were barley teenagers or even younger if memory serves right), fresh off the farm and sent to the horrors of war in a distant land.

Exactly my point. Sides don't matter when you stand on that hallowed ground.

Back on topic, PA Speedweek offers a wealth of opportunities for experiences you will never forget. All of it only 5 hours from home. If you are able, it is not to be missed. I believe the finale at Port Royal is going to pay $10K to win as well for the 2nd Greg Hodnett Classic.

What better way to celebrate the 4th of July than 410's for a good pay day to honor one of the best to ever strap in a Sprint Car?

2 hours ago, BillSmith said:

I remember going there when I was 16. Never got the creeps/hair standing up on the back of my neck so bad thinking what went on there. The incredible loss of life. Listening to the guide & him commenting that there was a creek of blood that ran thru where no creek existed....

On 6/15/2020 at 1:05 PM, zedsded said:

I'm leaning towards this one. Lincoln, Selinsgrove, and the Port are all 50ish minutes away. Grandview and Hagerstown are both about 90 minutes. I'm thinking I should wait a few days to be sure places will be open, my big concern being restaurants. 

A large number of restaurants have reopened but with either outdoor seating (extremely limited at most places) or take-out only. I think your county will be green by then which means indoor seating but still at a reduced capacity. 

48 minutes ago, Bicknell55 said:

A large number of restaurants have reopened but with either outdoor seating (extremely limited at most places) or take-out only. I think your county will be green by then which means indoor seating but still at a reduced capacity. 

That will be ok for me, as long as I can eat. It should work out ok.