Larry picked up the victory again tonight at Land of Legends...also saw on FB he plans to call Canandaigua home on Saturday nights this year...

Interesting news...he’s been at LoL every week so far but just figured once/if Fulton opened back up that he’d be back there since his dad owns the track.

Maybe Fulton won’t be opening?

Maybe Canandaigua wasn’t all that tough to dominate at after all. Larry making it look as easy as Matt ever did. In all seriousness, if Fulton doesn’t open until late July, and Canandaigua is going to have an actual point champion with a point fund, it would be crazy for Larry to leave. If tracks don’t open soon there is no way they will be awarding championship money for a possible 4-5 race season. 

3 hours ago, rpm72x said:

Maybe Canandaigua wasn’t all that tough to dominate at after all. Larry making it look as easy as Matt ever did. In all seriousness, if Fulton doesn’t open until late July, and Canandaigua is going to have an actual point champion with a point fund, it would be crazy for Larry to leave. If tracks don’t open soon there is no way they will be awarding championship money for a possible 4-5 race season. 

Helps when you’re one of the top 5 modified drivers going :p

Larry has been fast at Canandaigua for awhile now. Probably going on five years now. I saw him finish second to Sheppard two times in a row in the same season at Canandaigua one year in SDS races. Can’t remember when that was. 2016 or 2017 would be my guess.

I remember that SDS race can't remember the be year. 2 or 3 ago Larry on the top Matt on the bottom. Larry was scraping the Jersey barrier off 2 he was so high. Mat win by like .03 seconds or close too that

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, JazzyJeff89 said:

I remember that SDS race can't remember the be year. 2 or 3 ago Larry on the top Matt on the bottom. Larry was scraping the Jersey barrier off 2 he was so high. Mat win by like .03 seconds or close too that

I think that is the same race Farney kept on signaling Larry that he had a big lead. 😀

Screw Farney ! Why does he feel a need to let the drivers know how big of a lead they have ? I’ve heard many times what a nice man that he is, and I’m certain that he is, but why does he feel a need to be the center of attention when he’s up on the stand ? In all seriousness, I don’t see why a flag man is even needed in this day and age !

• Sad 1
21 minutes ago, Uncle tom said:

Screw Farney ! Why does he feel a need to let the drivers know how big of a lead they have ? I’ve heard many times what a nice man that he is, and I’m certain that he is, but why does he feel a need to be the center of attention when he’s up on the stand ? In all seriousness, I don’t see why a flag man is even needed in this day and age !

Flagmen are absolutely needed, they play a key role in safety.  The "gap signals" that Farney provides are very useful to a driver.  He just does it for the 1st and 2nd place car. 

IMO the drivers should be allowed one way communication from a spotter.  I feel this would definitely enhance the safety out on the track.  

Congratulations to Larry Wight and the 99L team. 

48 minutes ago, Uncle tom said:

In all seriousness, I don’t see why a flag man is even needed in this day and age 

Please tell me your joking 🙄

20 minutes ago, Jeff Lawrence said:

IMO the drivers should be allowed one way communication from a spotter.  I feel this would definitely enhance the safety out on the track.  

Despite the fact that drivers have a harder time seeing out the cars with all the safety stuff nowadays, I think spotters would have a negative affect on racing. 

A) It leads to drivers looking at their radiator cap instead of looking far ahead.

b) It leads to more blocking and lack of respect.

Depending on the track, I think most flagman are little more than puppets for race control. Back in the day, the flagman ran the show and had to have a big ego. Not so much anymore. Again, it depends on the track. I think most places could get by with lights on the dashboard, the flagman is used as a visual for the fans.

Okay... As a former and flagger and race director, allow me to shed some light... 

Ill start with the giving guys signals to their lead... I hate it... but its just my opinion... Ive only done with classes such as the Vintage cars, who are more about putting on a good show verus actually racing for something... I think its actually an unfair advantage to the leaders over the others...  but thats my opinion, and Im sure it varies with others... 

Now the flaggers importance... In the tower, you can see as much, hear as much, and probably the biggest thing I lacked in the tower versus track side is smell as much... I could smell the burning clutch or dragging brakes, the burning oil smell for an engine about to expire or the rubber from a tire rub... or GAS... when someone forgot there fuel cell cap or it came dislodged some how... You can see the drip streaks on the track of fluids and your "Feet on the ground" for track conditions.. sometimes it can be slippery as heck, but not look it... Your there to feel the rain when it starts... in the tower, you get NONE of that...

And the real importance of the flagger... You are a part of the show... I hate the boring flaggers that can barely wave a flag... put a little panache into it... doing some tricks, wave the double checkers.. have fun with it and make it look good... I always hated drivers getting told to go to the rear on the one way first, I always wanted my flagger to show them before I said it... thats as much of a part of the show as the crowd goes nuts with it...  Theres a line in the sand tho... Your job has a real purpose, but the fancy flag waving is theatrics...  You need the "boots on the ground", the head flagger and the corner marshalls are incredibly important. 

Now... I will say this, and it might aggravate some people I look up to and respect... The race director position came about when the flaggers of yesteryear started to age, and waving flags and climbing that flagstand started to get tougher and tougher... they had the skills and the knowledge from being in charge, kept that, and moved to the tower... with the 1 way radios and electronic scoring, having that person in the tower with a broader overview almost supervising the flagger and corner marshalls really helps the show move along quickly and more smoothly as far as the racing aspect goes, but like anything, having the right people in the right places, and being a solid cohesive unit always helps, just like anything,... Can it be done without corner marshalls? Yes, can it be done without a head flagger? Yes, can it be done without a race director? Yes... Is it ideal? Hell No.

• Like 9

No flagger, the little kids have no one to mimic. And as far as showing how far ahead you are. Don't think it's neccesary cause if the guy behind you is that close, at some point your gonna feel the chrome horn and you will know how far ahead you are. 

Back on topic.  Larry is bad fast at lLolL.  The field of cars at LoL is impressive as well.  It's too bad fans can't see the action in person.  Great racing last night in all divisions.

• Like 3

I watched the highlights online and if I remember correctly,  he started 15 and was leading with 15 to go.

Looked like Rudolph was coming up through just as fast.  There was a lot of battles behind Larry in the video, looked like an entertaining race from start to finish.

8 hours ago, Uncle tom said:

I am just going to say it.

The only people who live life this miserable are the ones that sit down when they pee. Assuming the author of this post is a male, then this would mean tiny wiener syndrome.

Sorry about your luck, dude.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
1 hour ago, dirtdigger said:

Back on topic.  Larry is bad fast at lLolL.  The field of cars at LoL is impressive as well.  It's too bad fans can't see the action in person.  Great racing last night in all divisions.

I had a not so good feeling there was a very real chance no fans allowed at LoL up until at least now.  And maybe no fans all summer.  I bit the bullet and bought the season video pass.  Glad I did.  Good show again last night/this morning when I replayed 👍👍

9 hours ago, Uncle tom said:

Enlighten me rpm ! What can a flag man do that a person up on the booth with a one way radio can’t do ?

I’ve thought for a long time you stumbled upon a forum that you have no business being in.....it’s based on topics your not overly informed about.....your viewpoint on a head flag man is more verification. 

As far as Canandaigua, the racing has been great and the coverage has been great as well. Thanks Bob and the staff!

2 hours ago, rpm72x said:

I’ve thought for a long time you stumbled upon a forum that you have no business being in.....it’s based on topics your not overly informed about.....your viewpoint on a head flag man is more verification. 

Haha ! Couldn’t think of even one valid point to counter my initial assertion, so you go right to a personal attack !

4 hours ago, leakin_fluids said:

I watched the highlights online and if I remember correctly,  he started 15 and was leading with 15 to go.

Looked like Rudolph was coming up through just as fast.  There was a lot of battles behind Larry in the video, looked like an entertaining race from start to finish.

Not to nit pick but pretty sure Larry took the lead on lap 13 restart. No one is close to him at the moment there. Good racing last night for sure.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, macho said:

Not to nit pick but pretty sure Larry took the lead on lap 13 restart. No one is close to him at the moment there. Good racing last night for sure.

Once again, there was so much going on that I couldn't keep caught up with race call with the roof cam. There were so many 3, 4 and 5 wide battles going on that I couldn't show them all. Evidence of this were the number of cautions. Canandaigia is 90 feet wide the entire way around the track with the exception of turn 3 that grows to 120 feet. I think the Modified Feature ended up with 11 cautions. I wanted to see the race finish with Matt Farnham not blowing that tire. He was definitely closing the gap between he and Lightning Larry when the tire gave up the ghost and Matt was running 2nd. . Not sure what Justin Haers and Billy Dunn had for starting positions, but both were extremely fast until their tires went away about half way through. 

Zach Sabotka is on a tear in the Sportsman division. I see him race on Friday nights in Dundee as well, and he's fast there too. Drawing the pole definitely helps, and he didn't really run away with the lead either. An 8 to 10 car length lead was about it. I spent a lot of time keeping track of Kevin Root, Paul Guererri, Matt Guererri, Kevin Ridley and Kane Bristol. Tom Skibinski and I had a brief conversation in the tower immediately following the races and he was saying that the Sportsman Feature went the entire distance green to checkers and all 31 starters finished the event.

Doug Elkins shot a video interviewing Cory Reed last night in the pits and Cory was saying that it was really no secret that Fulton and Brewerton weren't going to open without fans. Larry Wight was saying that he would probably finish the season at Canandaigua since he is leading in points at the moment. Kind of makes me wish that Matt Sheppard was still running Canandaigua weekly because Larry is showing he is definitely a fan of the track and Sheppard always has been. From a fans point of view, that would be an interesting season - reminiscent of the Alan Johnson/Will Cagle days of the late 70's and early 80's.

Back to Cory Reed a minute, he was saying he is not a fan of the lockdown and that the powers that be at Fulton and Brewerton are fully prepared to comply with CDC guidelines on social distancing and mask wearing with the fans and would like the chance to prove that. All they need is a number of fans to begin with, and so far the Governor isn't interested in budging. If you are reading this Cory, that was a good interview. Definitely well explained.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

Watching tonight’s mod feature from Canandaigua and man Larry Wight is impressive at Canandaigua this year.

As a poster said earlier, it would have been damn fun to watch Larry and Matt battle for the LoL points title this year.