Sign in to follow this  
Jack Brady

What was your favorite racing game?

Since I received my first Atari 2800 system the first games I always looked for were racing games. Hit the arcade, I looked for racing games. Of course at the Arcade you had a wheel, at home we had the secondary game pad with the small wheel on it. Sprint was the first game I loved. Was kind of based on Indy cars, you raced around these small tracks, if you hit an oil slick you would spin around in place. Then came Super Sprint and you had turbo, could up grade, and when you hit the oil you would spin with your motion still going forward. If you hit the wall you blew up and a helicopter would bring in a new car for you. You had a red, blue, green, and yellow cars and could play 4 at once at the arcade. 

Then with Nintendo the first good racing game was R.C. Pro Am which just looked like a bunch of radio controlled cars. Though the 80s at the arcade probably the biggest racing game was Pole Position and Pole Position II.  Every track had that one turn where you would just stomp the gas and whip the wheel to get around it.  There were also Iron Man Stewards Off Road Racing. Then in the very late 90s we had the PC racing game P.O.D. Planet of Doom. Which was state of the art at the time and was one of the first racing games you could play against other people online. Though you had to use a phone modem and your mom would kill you when she got the phone bill. lol. Then 2000 came and one of my favorite games that changed everything was released. Ratbag's Dirt Track Racing. Then Ratbag released WoO Sprints in 2002 which had the voices and recommendations of WoO announcers and drivers. Also in 2002 DTR 2 was released with Stock Cars, Late Models, and a hybrid type modified between a IMCA and DIRT modified. What I really loved about DTR 2 is was open source friendly and you could make your own cars and tracks.

Now we have simulator sites that actually race for money. And were used to replace the Pro Leagues of racing during the pandemic. 

But there have been sooo many differn't types of racing games through the decades and I'm sure I'm not the only racing game geek on this site. (or I maybe, we'll see)

Here are a couple of my favorites.

1. Test Drive - Eve of Destruction - PS2

2. Dirt Track Racing 2 - PC

3. Mario Andretti Racing - Sega Genesis  (first dirt racing game I ever found, with old no-wing style sprints).

4. Lead Foot - PC (Stadium Truck Racing, also by Ratbag)

5. Mario Kart 64 - Nintendo 64

• Like 3

Here are some of my favorites growing up and still play once in a while.

Top gear (snes)

F-zero (snes)

Nascar 2000 (ps1)

Gran Turismo 2 (ps1)

Dirt track racing 2 (pc)

World of outlaws sprint cars 2002 (ps2)

Nascar thunder 2004 (ps2)

And many more

• Like 1

Man I totally forgot about Bill Elliott's Stock Car Challenge on NES. You could actually race for a real 200 laps. Man that was tiring, but you had to pit like every 10-12 laps for new tires and fuel.. That was extremely annoying. You had choices on stagger and other things I had no clue about. Probably why I had to stop for tires so often.. lol 

World of outlaws sprint cars 2002. PS2. Still play it today.  Haven’t found a racing game I like better then it. 

• Like 1

I really enjoyed DTR2, played that game alot. I could never seem to get rFactor working properly and my computer isnt big enough for iRacing. 

As far as PS2 games, I played Driver and NFS Underground a lot. 

• Like 1

Super Sprint (NES)

Super Mario Kart (SNES)

Mario Kart 64 (SNES)

DTR-SC (PC)

Insane (PC)

Rallisport Challenge 2 (XBOX)

FlatOut 2 (XBOX)

Mario Kart Wii

Forza Horizon 2,3,4 (Xbox One)

Dirt 4 (Xbox One)

Wreckfest (Xbox One)

2 minutes ago, John Williams said:

Super Sprint (NES)

Super Mario Kart (SNES)

Mario Kart 64 (N64)

DTR-SC (PC)

Insane (PC)

Rallisport Challenge 2 (XBOX)

FlatOut 2 (XBOX)

Mario Kart Wii

Forza Horizon 2,3,4 (Xbox One)

Dirt 4 (Xbox One)

Wreckfest (Xbox One)

Test drive-eve of destruction (ps2)

Dirt to daytona (ps2)

Dirt track racing (pc)

Ivan Stewart's off road (arcade)

NASCAR Legends from Papyrus - 1999.

It was based on the same game engine as NASCAR 3, but the physics were different, basing the cars from 1970.

There have been some really good references already, but here’s a few other favorites.  

-Bump n’ Jump (Intellivision)

-Super Monaco GP (Sega Genesis) 

-Road Rash (Sega Genesis) 

I used to love RC Pro Am too. I’d pretend that the cars were modifieds. 

Original Mario cart with my son when he was younger. 

Wii Mario cart with my daughter. 

Dirt to Daytona by myself. 

• Like 1

Saturday Night Speedway and rFactor.  The big block mods are pretty fun in the online leagues.

Saturday Night Speedway PS2

DTR2 PC

World Of Outlaws 2002 is too difficult I feel and Tony Stewert games Road to Knoxville and Eldora games are too easy. IMO

8 hours ago, WheelsUpHammerDown10 said:

World of Outlaws sprint cars 2002

This is a great game. 

The F1 games for PS4 are awesome too. 

• Like 1

I never liked Saturday Night Speedway. Just never felt right, and didn't have that feeling other games like WoO did. Was like they were just trying to capitalize on the short track racing games that were out there, but didn't really care to put real effort in to it. I mean they had these wacked out unrealistic road course races. 

But I really have to recommend that if anyone has a PS2 still or a PS2 emulator on their computer like I do, definitely look for a copy or ISO of Test Drive - Eve of Destruction. I love doing the figure 8 Jump Race with my antique style Pontiac. Demo Derby, Forward/Backward race, Flag Pole racing, lots of smashing and crashing and flying parts and loose wheels, School bus racing, trailer races, and so much more. Would love it if they remade it for the new PlayStation and added multiplayer.  

• Like 1

RC Pro AM

Super Sprint by Tengen

Pole Position II

but Bill Elliot's NASCAR challenge was my favorite. Mostly because of the full duration race.

The only correct answer is the 2002 WoO PS2 game. No other "game" comes close. Iracing is obviously in its own league but that is a sim. 

Saturday night speedway was also pretty decent. I played that for quite a few hours in a late model and the midget class. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Grand Prix Legends. The Gold Standard for "this f****** piece of s*** shouldn't be this hard." Never played anything before or since that was as hard as that. 

Was still installed on my computer after 20 years until I built a rig specifically for iRacing. 

DTR2 league was fun. Got I think 3 360 Sprint Car wins. Was never that good with the 410 though. 

As a kid Al Unser Junior turbo racing on Nes 

then World of out laws Sprint car racing on PS2

Now Im really digging Tony Stewarts Sprint car racing its kinda fiun to play with a TQ a 360 and a 410 probelm with the game the setups are kinda useless

Like many said the WOO Sprints for PS2 is great!

As a kid, I fed way too many quarters into Ivan Stewart's off-road.  

• Like 1

I had forgotten about Bill Elliot's NASCAR Challenge. I played it using an emulator a couple years ago and realized how truly awful the game really was. But back in the day, it was as realistic as it got. 

NASCAR 2003 (I think it was the last Papyrus game)

DTR/DTR 2

WoO Sprint Cars

16 hours ago, BigFeet13 said:

I had forgotten about Bill Elliot's NASCAR Challenge. I played it using an emulator a couple years ago and realized how truly awful the game really was. But back in the day, it was as realistic as it got. 

NASCAR 2003 (I think it was the last Papyrus game)

DTR/DTR 2

WoO Sprint Cars

I love my emulators. I have around 2000 actual arcade roms for MAME, 700 or so for NES emulator, 1000 Sega Genesis, 3 or 4 for Nintendo 64, oh like 800 SNES which I never play lol. And I just picked up my first PS2 emulator that works really good. Only have 2 ISO for that right now, but looking for others.

I should look up the Days of Thunder and Bill Elliot NASCAR games on my NES emulator.

Al Unser Junior turbo racing

I totally forgot about that one, that was a really good game. Like a more advanced Pole Position. I actually also enjoyed Michael Andretti's Go-Kart racing. But Mario Andretti's racing game was the best because of the sprints on dirt. The stock cars and indy cars though sucked on that game.

The Sega  game "Out Run" back in the 80's  is the only one I can remember playing much on a home set. 

In the video arcade there was Cruisin USA i think it was called?