Larson running Lucas Oil Late Model at Port Royal

It was announced last night after the final feature that Kyle Larson will make his first-ever Super Late Model start this coming week in the 3-day @lucasdirt show @PortRoyalSpdway

https://twitter.com/LiveDirtUpdates/status/1297514353118371843?s=20

Wanted to start a separate thread so it doesn't get lost in his $ won thread... should be very interesting to see how he does! 

I hope he wins but that is asking alot.  It would be amazing if he was able to get a top 5.  Even a top 10 would be something to brag about. Considering he hasnt really driven one fo any length of time.   I will say this if he can get a top 5, he should be considered the best Dirt Track Driver in the world. It seems to me that every car he has driven this season he has won in.  That in and of itself speaks volumes about his talent.  Not only has he won he has beaten the best of USAC, The All Stars, and The World of Outlaws.  After the SLM Ride it would be interesting to see him in a BIG BLOCK Modified.  Lets see him Friesen, Decker and so on go at it.  I would bet he would beat all of them within 3 to 5 races.  I would also bet he finishes in the top 5 right out of the gate. 

5 hours ago, jumper12a said:

He’ll be fine. A talent like he is, comes along once a generation.

You sir are absolutely right.  As Dirt Track Fans we are witnessing history in the making.  The last time a driver this good did what Larson is doing was probably late 70s early 80s.  We all are very lucky to see this and I really hope Larson breaks records.  The problem with the records is that, this season isnt a regular season.  Usually WOO has 90+ Races a season.  They will be lucky to get 60 races in this year.  That puts Larson behind the power curve. i know he isnt driving a Full WOO schedule.  he is however driving a TRUE OUTLAW Schedule, but even doing that a lot of races are getting cancelled or have already been cancelled.

I just hope those in charge use a percentage of races being in,-- to the percentage of races won.  Make it a minimum of 40 races to be considered for the record, and go from there.  There are only 2 maybe 3 drivers that could be considered from the past and that would be Kinser, Wolfgang and maybe Swindell.  You could go further back to Foyt Rutherford Andretti and so on but I think if all those older retired drivers were running today against Larson, Larson still wins.  The rules Larson has and the rules from back then are way more strict.  The Cars are basically clones of each other whereas back then they were all different with basically no rules.

I could be totally offbase but I really think Larson is the BEST of all of them.  There is really no way of ever knowing, because there are so many variables involved.  I highly Doubt A.J. FOyt is getting in a SPrint Car any time soon to find out either.

Just My 2 Cents for what its worth, and, trust me it isnt worth much

Peace 

5 hours ago, racemonster said:

Will it be streaming anywhere?

Lucas Oil race so Lucas Oil TV will have it. 

Small change of plans as we'll be going to The Grove Friday for the All Stars Twin 20's, then to Port Saturday for the finale of the 3 day weekend. 

10 minutes ago, MSenecal26s said:

When I raced my crate car in Florida 2 years ago we met Kyle at Volusia and talked to him about the big block mods. He said he would love to drive one sometime! 

When Jeff Gordon was still running USAC his Dad tried to get him a ride in one of Brett Hearn's cars down in Florida. Brett declined, not really being familiar with the teenager. He later said if he had the chance again he would of reconsidered. 

Besides the DIRT/Asphalt series has a Cup guy ever showed up and won a Northeast Dirt Modified race?

16 minutes ago, Jack Brady said:

When Jeff Gordon was still running USAC his Dad tried to get him a ride in one of Brett Hearn's cars down in Florida. Brett declined, not really being familiar with the teenager. He later said if he had the chance again he would of reconsidered. 

Besides the DIRT/Asphalt series has a Cup guy ever showed up and won a Northeast Dirt Modified race?

Jimmy Horton.

17 minutes ago, Jack Brady said:

I believe Tony Stewart in a Brett Hearn car at Lebanon Valley. 

3 minutes ago, blowinblackboogers said:

If Jimmy is included I would also say Gary Balough. 

Side Note: I watch the 1983 200 lap ASA race from Milwaukee Mile on YouTube this weekend. Great race. Tons of stars: Pearson, Wallace, Waltrip, Senneker, Kulwicki, Eddy, Allisons, Butch Miller, Peabo Bryson...and Gary Balough is in it and he does good.

• Like 1

Side note on a side note: Jimmy Horton was terrific to watch in Cup cars and I’ve seen him win many big races on dirt (SDW, ESW, etc), so please do not take this as a negative about his talent in any way: his ride out of the park in the ARCA race at Talladega in ‘93 or ‘94 remains probably the worst crash I’ve ever seen in which a driver walked away unscathed.

7 hours ago, blowinblackboogers said:

I believe Tony Stewart in a Brett Hearn car at Lebanon Valley. 

Smoke won a 358 Series race @ LV in the Bryan Goewey 20.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
8 hours ago, Jack Brady said:

I think Dave Blaney won a regular show at Merritville a few years ago.

I remember now about Tony Stewart in the "358" small block at Lebanon Valley. People were saying he was quite a lot faster then others. Almost like he had a lot more horse power or something like that. A lot of rumors came out of that race. lol 

I saw Tony race in the Big Blocks at the Valley where some shmuck took him out on purpose. The other guys crew and his gf came running out yelling at Tony. Tony looked at her and made like an "O" with his hands and told the woman "You have a P%$$& this big!" lol Then finally other people showed up and walked Tony away. Well that's what I saw, I didn't actually hear him say it, someone else told me that's what he said.  Kinda hard to hear from the grand stands.

I don't count Jimmy has a Cup driver, he was a DIRT driver first. Though he did set a ARCA record for like consecutive wins on Super Speedways or something like that. He never actually raced a full season in ARCA. Think he actually drove for Ken Schrader in ARCA that year.

I don't count Dave Blaney either, he grew up around and in Dirt racing including Modifieds. Probably because his dad is a DIRT Hall of Famer and Dave actually built a modified for Syracuse for his Dad Lou Blaney.

If your going to throw in Jimmy Horton and Balough in, then you have to add Buzzy, Brightbill, Hearn, TMac, Charlie Rudolph, Freisen, and a few others who have all raced in NASCAR.

21 hours ago, OpenHeaders said:

Side note on a side note: Jimmy Horton was terrific to watch in Cup cars and I’ve seen him win many big races on dirt (SDW, ESW, etc), so please do not take this as a negative about his talent in any way: his ride out of the park in the ARCA race at Talladega in ‘93 or ‘94 remains probably the worst crash I’ve ever seen in which a driver walked away unscathed.

I think the, Michael Waltrip, wreck at Bristol looked worse. 

3 minutes ago, oldguy28 said:

I think the, Michael Waltrip, wreck at Bristol looked worse. 

Ah man, absolutely. I thought they were going to be putting up the sheet and pulling Michael out in pieces. The look on Darrel's face was just horrible. You could tell when he got out of his car he thought he was going to be the worst thing ever.

Jimmy didn't get a lot of air time in the Cup races but when he did it was usually spectacular!!! Besides the flipping out of the park. He had that Flip over Ricky Craven.. Can't remember the race though.