I've been going through some of my old books and different sites. And finding a lot of interesting things drivers/crew or tracks have done at race tracks that seem pretty crazy.

OCFS we'll always remember Tex Enright starting the field while standing in the middle of the track. I've also read about a driver who would put mirrors on the back of his hands just before the start of a race. And the psychological like putting multiple shocks or springs on a car that actually don't do anything, or a driver looking over at another and giving him the 1 finger. Getting the other driver to wonder does that mean one more lap before we get the green or this lap? Just crazy stuff. I know people have to have stories out there.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lol

OCFS in the 80's. Couple of guys with a few beers in them, but I don't think they were really drunk. They had a buddy in the expert street stocks. Well the family right in front of them had their fath

Not oval track but still thought you would enjoy it We were out in California at one of the dragstrips and this was when everyone was jumping cars and buses Well this guy had a Chevy station

Posted Images

Great thread!

Okay, I'm hoping someone else can verify this happening, because I've yet to find anyone else that saw this happen and I'm starting to think I imagined it. Back when the Octoberfest show at Hagerstown Speedway was still a massive event they'd run qualifying all day long on Saturday; big blocks, small blocks, 410 sprints, and super late models. Each would get huge car counts so there wouldn't be breaks all day, they'd just roll the next qualifier out. With the pits being in the infield, if you were in the pits the only chance you had to cross was between when the one qualifier would end and the next would go green. 

So, I'd say this was either '07 or '08, in between the small block consis a group of people ran across the track, but one gentleman fell right in the groove going into turn 1 while the next small block consi was rolling down the backstretch coming to take the green. The gentleman struggled to get up and the security guy standing on the infield that let people cross went running out to help him. Apparently nobody else noticed because when the consi came off turn 4 they went green. The security guy wasn't able to get the guy up and clear of the track, so instead of laid on top of him with his bright green jacked. The field went flying by and barely missed him and the track finally threw the caution right away. Thankfully everyone was fine and the entire field did an amazing job missing the 2 guys. 

I was only like 18 at the time and remember being absolutely terrified as the security guy struggled to get him up with the field barreling down the front stretch and being amazed at the quick thinking and selflessness that the guy showed when he laid on top of the gentleman that fell. 

Again, I'm hoping someone else here was there for that show and can confirm this actually happened, haha 

• Like 1

I thought this was a little different.  went to Smoky Mountain Speedway in TN a few years back and the 10 commandments were listed on the wall of the concession stand.  6 years later it still sticks out in my mind.  

Three things from the Valley:

Jack Johnson coming out of the pits & took Hearn out in one of the 200's.

Tow truck getting hit by a racecar - I can't remember if it came out too quick or never went pitside. ~20 yrs ago.

Some guy losing control of his Mustang coming out of turn 4 during a spectator race & hitting the inside wall. ~20 yrs ago.

Can-Am - Jeff Cook flipping between 3 & 4 & somehow hitting the pace truck. That was a long night. Thank God everyone was alright. ~3-4 yrs ago.

One time at Utica Rome a skunk got a beer cup stuck on its head and blindly wandered around the turn 4 grandstands. After wandering around for 15 minutes or so the guy a couple seats down from me run up to it, pulled the cup off its head and they both ran away very quickly.

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, In the Shadows said:

Three things from the Valley:

Jack Johnson coming out of the pits & took Hearn out in one of the 200's.

that wasn't jack it was jimmy horton at the valley....unless there was another similar incident

1 hour ago, In the Shadows said:

• Like 1

Many years ago I was at Hudson Speedway and they had so very old tow trucks they were using to clear wrecks off the track. So they had a big wreck on the backstretch so this one old beat up tow truck backs up to a car and starts to lift it and the frame of the tow truck broke in half right behind the cab and the tow truck turned into a upside down V with the front wheels almost touching the back wheels.

• Confused 1

I have a couple.  When I was at Oxford Plains Speedway in the mid 80's, during the Late Model feature the leaders randomly bounced off each other on the backstretch and slammed into the wall with most of the field crashing behind them.  We could not see from the main grandstand, but the announcer told us a dog had gotten out of someone's truck in the pits and ran onto the track.  The driver who was leading said he was feeling pretty dejected having wrecked his car and also likely to have killed the dog too. However, when he took down his window net the dog was there looking at him totally unharmed.  Somehow 25 or so cars had wrecked each other, but totally missed the dog!

Also once during  a Thompson World Series weekend, a caution flag seemed to be thrown during a feature for seemingly no reason.  Fans were looking around on the track to see what was going on.  Suddenly the crossover gate lifted up and the Ambulances and Police cars that were in the infield sped  out through the garage area and towards the stands.  I turned around and could see back behind the stands there was a massive a brawl at the concession booths. People bleeding and everything. 

In 81 or 82 at Grandview a drunk walked in to the pits after the races and pulled a knife on Fred Rahmer. Unfortunately for Him Freddy had a lot more friends than he did and it did not end well for him!

Tonight at the dinner table my 4 year old son took a scoop of yogurt and then dipped it in his ranch dressing, ate the whole thing and went back for more. He didn't know I was watching.

There is no race track involved...sorry I just had to share that with someone.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, That IQ0 Car said:

One time at Utica Rome a skunk got a beer cup stuck on its head and blindly wandered around the turn 4 grandstands. After wandering around for 15 minutes or so the guy a couple seats down from me run up to it, pulled the cup off its head and they both ran away very quickly.

Right before the first Cole Cup A-Main. Remember that one very vividly and not sure how the whole grandstands didn't get gassed by a terrified skunk.

Probably 2012-2014, the tow truck and ambulance crews in the infield of Five Mile Point got in a full on brawl. Seemed to be about the entire staff in the infield was fighting. Was in the middle of a stock class feature, never shot the yellow despite the 20 person fight going on. When the yellow did come out, it took a while because everyone that was supposed to be cleaning it up was too busy beating each other up to do their assigned jobs.

• Haha 1

Woodhull fireworks show circa 2010ish I would guess? Guy comes flying out of the pits on a dirt bike with an american flag draped around his shoulders....starts running a few laps around the track and I'm thinking its part of the show...he wipes out HARD in one of the turns and it turns out it was NOT part of the show...they have to stop the fireworks mid show to tend to the guy with an ambulance and safety crew etc. I've always wondered what happened to him if he got seriously hurt or charged from that incident.

The only other thing was seeing Jessica Zemken LEAVE the ballpark barreling towards the cow barn coming through 3 and 4 at Fonda on the first or second lap in a 410 all-star race in 2012ish I would guess?

I have seen a bunch of strange stuff over the years......

the 2 that come to mind first are both from Airborne Park Speedway.

The first one was back in 1978 or so when the track was a 1/2 mile paved oval going by the name of Plattsburg International Speedway. During a heat race for the Late Models a Station wagon came bombing down Brodrick Road (the road leading to the track) and just kept right on going through the pits and fly out onto the track with a dog hanging out of the back side window while the race was under green. IT took quite a while to capture the drunken offender. While it was  a very dangerous situation since no one was hurt or any cars damaged it was very amusing

The second one was 1984 while the track was 4/10 mile dirt. Charlie Wilbur and Ed Champange are side-by-side for the lead in the 358 Feature going out of turn 4 headed to the checkers when they touched wheels and it somehow sent Champange over the frontstretch wall where he rode the catch fence, taking out the flagstand while finishing 2nd. the flagman landed on the track and somehow got up and waved the checkers in the middle of the track and the entire field missed him, he then collapsed back down onto the track, he was OK though, just a bunch of bruises if my memory is correct. The front duo had nearly a half lap lead on the rest of the field

1 hour ago, stratton87 said:

that wasn't jack it was jimmy horton at the valley....unless there was another similar incident

Yes, that was a different incident. That incident w Jimmy was in the late 80's. I wasn't a Valley regular til '95. I first went to Syracuse regularly beginning in 2000, so it happened @ a Coors National 200 between that time period I believe.

Another thing I just thought of was @ Accord - using a front end loader as a tow truck at one of the yr end specials. ~5 or so yrs ago.

Army helicopter landing on the backstretch at can am the night Kevin Martin flipped and lost 3 fingers. It was there to fly him to Syracuse for surgery. 

Dave Cole going off the second turn at can am thru the hedge row then back out on the track and finish the Last few laps with a small tree hooked in the back bumper. 

3 hours ago, stratton87 said:

It was a different race. The person directing traffic exiting the pits in turn 2 sent Jack out onto the track after a pit stop right in front of the field. Brett was leading.

A long time ago at Canandaigua 1on 1 spectator truck race guy comea off turn 4 bouncing off the wall never lifts until he rolled it the truck ends up on it roof cab completely flat they had to flip it back over and rip open tbe door and the guy climbs out and walked away

12 hours ago, WheelsUpHammerDown10 said:

Woodhull fireworks show circa 2010ish I would guess? Guy comes flying out of the pits on a dirt bike with an american flag draped around his shoulders....starts running a few laps around the track and I'm thinking its part of the show...he wipes out HARD in one of the turns and it turns out it was NOT part of the show...they have to stop the fireworks mid show to tend to the guy with an ambulance and safety crew etc. I've always wondered what happened to him if he got seriously hurt or charged from that incident.

The only other thing was seeing Jessica Zemken LEAVE the ballpark barreling towards the cow barn coming through 3 and 4 at Fonda on the first or second lap in a 410 all-star race in 2012ish I would guess?

Wheels, I happen to know the guy. Didn't know he was gonna do that thou. For some reason he figured he could get a few laps in and get back out. He was riding a mini bike and he didn't wipe out all on his own, he said they close lined him. No injuries, I know at the time he was banned for life but he has been back many times since then. People still pick on him to this day about it. 

• Like 1

Another woodhull one that I could've done without, 3-4 years ago later on in the night I wander up to bathroom and get positioned in front of trough about 5 or 6th from end on downhill side, so there's a fairly good stream running down it, pretty well drunk fella walks up next to me eating a burger, next thing I heard was shit, looked over and he picked the soppy burger out of trough and carried on eating it like nothing happened. Took about all I and the guys around him to not hurl. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Long time ago at Weedsport when two dogs walked on to the track in front of the pit grandstand when Rover took over and got it on with the female dog that was in heat.

Brighton Speedway mid 90's, had to red flag the race, a snapping turtle made it's way onto turn 1.  The thing was so big, we had to put it on an old car hood and towed it back to the swamp with the tractor.

There was also the time at Lebanon that a guy from Canada came to race on a regular night & went thru the fence between 3&4, then drove back around & into the pits. He came back the next wk too.

Modified driver Eddie Marshall flipping down the front stretch & hanging from the fence in turn 1.