Another one I believe I remember and Miller could confirm, many years ago I seem to remember a sprint car going right off turn 1 at Dundee and thru or over fence and landed in the field across the road. 

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lol

OCFS in the 80's. Couple of guys with a few beers in them, but I don't think they were really drunk. They had a buddy in the expert street stocks. Well the family right in front of them had their fath

Not oval track but still thought you would enjoy it We were out in California at one of the dragstrips and this was when everyone was jumping cars and buses Well this guy had a Chevy station

Posted Images

My son when he was little was not shy about reminding people about their manners. He was sitting in the stall in the bathroom. I was standing outside his door reminding him that I had a car to work on before the feature. A guy comes in and goes into the next stall and just exploded long and loud. My son hollered out " could at least say scuse me ! " 

The men at the trough had to grab the wall for balance and lost their aim for a minute because they were laughing so hard. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Big crashes are always memorable. I have two of them that comes to mind at Autodrome Granby in Québec.

the first one was at the beginning of the 90´s when driver Luke Plante completely left the ballpark coming out of turn 2. He went through a billboard and his car fell on top of the trees over the fence. Scary, scary crash and it’s a miracle that Plante came out of there unscathed. I was five or six years old and I remember this vividly.

The other one was a couple of years ago. The accident is available on YouTube. Michael Parent flipped wildly in turn three, hit the wall, and wound up completely over it. It was a heavy crash where his car must have fell down at least 15 feet from the top of the fence to the ground. No injuries there but a car completely trashed.

I remember being at Weedsport many years back and Alan Johnson went off the track between turns one and two into the corn field that had almost fully grown corn in it and he continued in the corn field till returning to the track near turn three. The corn was flying through the air as he continued to drive a a high speed to return to the track. When he returned to the track his car was covered with corn stalks.

2 hours ago, dan dan said:

Another one I believe I remember and Miller could confirm, many years ago I seem to remember a sprint car going right off turn 1 at Dundee and thru or over fence and landed in the field across the road. 

It's been a long time since I've seen a car exit the track and make it to the other side of the road, but I have definitely seen it a few times - never while shooting video though, always as a spectator.

The most memorable one was a Late Model with a hung throttle. There was a mound of dirt built on the track side of a ditch beside the road that had railroad ties several feet apart buried in it. When the Late Model hit the railroad tied, the dirt mound acted like a ramp. Good thing... because he jumped high enough to clear the hood of a car heading into Dundee.

But that's not the craziest thing I've ever seen at a race track though. This goes back a ways, but Brad Doty was taking time trails at Canandaigua with the World of Outlaws. Going down the front stretch and into the 1st turn, Brads car took a hop while he was wide open on the throttle. When the car landed, it was on the right rear only and he ripped the center section of the RR wheel out. The tire bit the clay real hard when it broke off and man did it ever take flight. There used to be an old Willow Tree out behind turn 2. This tree was all of 60 years old and close to 80 feet high and about 200 yards away from the track. The tire cleared that tree with ease. Track safety never found that one.

By far and above the highest and farthest tire launch I've ever seen. Matter of fact, that even made the Gater. Whoever was the track photographer at the time, took a couple of pictures of Brad's car for the race report that night.

I’m sure I’ll think of more but a couple come to mind:

-PST was at A-S a couple years ago. Cars were on track getting ready for a heat. Safety truck comes flying onto track from the pits. Corey Sparks is just entering Turn 1. Safety truck runs into him, hops the RR and knocks the wing off the roof of Corey’s car. Wouldn’t have believed it if I didn’t see it with my own eyes.

-Jeff Trombley going over the fence in Turn 4 and Fonda and landing on the blacktop in front of the bleachers.

-John Scarbourough’s flip and fire at Fonda. Was only maybe the 2nd or 3rd time I was ever there and remains the scariest thing I’ve ever witnessed at a race track. 

-A 4 cylinder hit one of the berms that surround the lights at Utica-Rome. Rolled ass over tea kettle and landed on his wheels and continued on. Was blown away as a kid. 

Stafford Motor Speedway early 2000's. I am sketchy on all the details so  hopefully someone can confirm this or correct this.   Modified tour race John Blewitt III is wrecked by Tom Baldwin I believe.  The cars are stopped on the backstretch under red I guess.  John Blewitt goes over to the stopped competitor that did him wrong and pulls wires so he cant restart.   They had to push the car into the pits.  

Stafford motor Speedway.  30 lap Weekly late model race that finished in a dead heat tie.  They declared both drivers the winner after checking to see where both drivers had their transponders installed.  Chuck Zentarski was one of them.  Had victory lane pics with both cars nose to nose.

Star Speedway PASS SLM race.  Probably around 10pm and the cars are at speed in their 150 lap feature when every light on the property goes out.  You could not see anything.  Somehow every car managed to get stopped without any contact.  

7 hours ago, dan dan said:

I can verify that & the night Rick Wilson flipped across the pit entrance all the way to the creek. 

17 minutes ago, csg said:

Stafford Motor Speedway early 2000's. I am sketchy on all the details so  hopefully someone can confirm this or correct this.   Modified tour race John Blewitt III is wrecked by Tom Baldwin I believe.  The cars are stopped on the backstretch under red I guess.  John Blewitt goes over to the stopped competitor that did him wrong and pulls wires so he cant restart.   They had to push the car into the pits.  

Blewett jumped on Carl Pasteryak's hood as he's sitting on the backstretch under red. Pasteryak tries to pull away and John starts pulling wires. OUCH. They took Blewett's totalled car (he was driving for Mario Fiore at the time) and dropped it in a heap in the pits next to the rest rooms. There was a bigger crowd around the car checking it out than there was in the pit stands watching the race,

Mine are from Stafford also.

Chris Jones and Ted Christopher tangled in turn 4 and the notorious hot head Jones swung the car in turn 1 and went the whole length of the front stretch the wrong way and rammed into TC. Then Jones got out of the car and alternated flipping off the crowd and flagman and grabbing his crotch. One of his many "indefinite" suspensions.

During a Tour race someone from the track had a brilliant idea of setting off fireworks down the whole length of the frontstretch along the pit wall as the initial green flag fell. Problem was no one told the drivers and half the field piled into the first turn wall on the opening lap.

Then at Thompson a few years ago there was a wreck in the strictly stock race and one of the drivers went up to the flagstand and dropped trough right in front of the whole grandstand.

23 hours ago, In the Shadows said:

Yes, that was a different incident. That incident w Jimmy was in the late 80's. I wasn't a Valley regular til '95. I first went to Syracuse regularly beginning in 2000, so it happened @ a Coors National 200 between that time period I believe.

Another thing I just thought of was @ Accord - using a front end loader as a tow truck at one of the yr end specials. ~5 or so yrs ago.

my apologies, i've seen a lot of old races that i didn't attend on youtube or that i acquired from different people, never heard about that one.......thanks for clearing it up

5 hours ago, RJO said:

I remember being at Weedsport many years back and Alan Johnson went off the track between turns one and two into the corn field that had almost fully grown corn in it and he continued in the corn field till returning to the track near turn three. The corn was flying through the air as he continued to drive a a high speed to return to the track. When he returned to the track his car was covered with corn stalks.

I was at Weedsport and remember John Birosh doing this same thing. I think he was leading the 200 at the time. 

A few years ago at Weedsport when “The Big Show” Dave Rauscher had a medical condition in the car. He lost consciousness with his foot on the accelerator and his steering wheel turned to the left. The car kept doing donuts in turn 3 and eventually down into the infield. No one knew what the hell was going on, or how to stop it for that matter. 

10 minutes ago, HighPlainsDrifter said:

A few years ago at Weedsport when “The Big Show” Dave Rauscher had a medical condition in the car. He lost consciousness with his foot on the accelerator and his steering wheel turned to the left. The car kept doing donuts in turn 3 and eventually down into the infield. No one knew what the hell was going on, or how to stop it for that matter. 

I was scared for Dave while he was twisting donuts on the track, but then he came down into the infield right at me. That was the scariest thing at the races I've ever been involved with.

6 hours ago, RJO said:

Are you sure that wasn't John Birosh? I was at Weedsport when John did that, for a while they called him the Corn Husker because of it.

Craziest thing race wise I ever saw was a WoO Sprint race at OCFS Mark Kinser leading Steve by about half a straight a way. Last lap looked like all the rest before it till they got to turn three. Mark with a comfortable lead, set the car and went in to turn 3, Steve Kinser never lifted, I had never seen a car go through 3 and 4 so fast. Coming off of 4 Steve slides to the inside of Mark and BAM!!! Both cars wrecked. Steve just had to much momentum.  I can't even remember who won the race or anything else about that night. But I remember Steve flying through 3 and 4 an not letting off. I don't think Mark still knows what happen that night. lol

Joe Plazek at OCFS turning off the power when he hit electric pole in turn 2. Destroyed the car. They just stripped it of anything work saving and left it at the track.

Also early 80s I think it was, the night the tire went over the fence and killed a girl. All I saw was the tire in the air. And of course the ambulance and people. Wasn't till the next day we found out that someone actually got hit. We figured someone/s got hurt trying to get out of the way.

Oh and the funniest thing I ever saw was at Moc-A-Tek, the deer jumping over the fence and across the track.

Angriest moment was a SDS up at Five Mile. Jeff Heotzler was the leader and I think it was Doug Worthing was 2nd. Yellow comes out. They get the white flag for the restart, go through 1 and 2, down the back stretch, in to turn 3 and Worthing takes off. Heotzler and the rest of the field acted stunned, then they got on it. Before Jeff could even get to the starting line Worthing was between 1 and 2. Everyone is waiting for the yellow for the restart. Nothing happens, they just kept it green. The booing was so loud.  People were pissed, not as much as Heotzler was but. Worthing went on to win the race. Wasn't the only time Five Mile made strange calls under that promoter. Think it was Andy's brother at the time.

The actual craziest thing I ever saw was at the Jumpin Jack 200. Alan Johnson was in lapped traffic and I don't know why he tried to go under a car that was reacting to the move over flag. Alan hit the inside wall and broke. When the other car came in for a pit stop, Alan and one of his crew guys came up and ripped wires out of his car. Was crazy. I know Alan was upset but it was his own fault and I lost a lot of respect for them that day.

1 minute ago, Jack Brady said:

Are you sure that wasn't John Birosh? I was at Weedsport when John did that, for a while they called him the Corn Husker because of it.

I also remember Alan Johnson doing it. Birosh did it as well, but so did Alan, and probably a few others,

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, BobMiller said:

I also remember Alan Johnson doing it. Birosh did it as well, but so did Alan, and probably a few others,

Yes probably true. I'm sure it wasn't all that uncommon.

But this was definitely the picture of the year.

1987-Dirt-Trackin-Dirt-Modified-Program-John-Birosh-_57.jpg

3 minutes ago, Jack Brady said:

Yes probably true. I'm sure it wasn't all that uncommon.

But this was definitely the picture of the year.

1987-Dirt-Trackin-Dirt-Modified-Program-John-Birosh-_57.jpg

Love the top picture from ransomville too. I was always a Mcginnis fan.

15 minutes ago, brian moore said:

Love the top picture from ransomville too. I was always a Mcginnis fan.

I was there for that race. John Birosh was one of my favorite drivers and this race is one of my fondest memories of going to the races with my dad (David Williamson) and my brother DJ. It was so wild to see all of the corn husks hanging from his car as he cane back into the track on the backstretch. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, BobMiller said:

Kenny Schrader in a second car to Billy Decker is the one I remember.  He went off in one, Came up on the back with corn stalks hanging and flying

are we looking for a personal top 10 list ?  Cause i've seen some crazy ass stuff in my 50 years of racing... lol not sure i could tag one as the craziest....

2 to start...   Mark Johnson and Mike Bruno last points night at Malta on the Black top....

Davie Franek going out of the ball park in turn 1 at Fonda Speedway....   almost clearing the                         fence...   

one night at fonda way back when the street stocks were parked on the hill in the infield and mods and sportsman were parked on the dragstrip well there was a big fight up on street stock hill as they called it back then. at that time ralph and his brother ron compani were called up on the hill. well the fight got out of hand with the promoters both involved. ron grabbed the guy causing the deal and ralph told ronnie to hold him and ralph would blister him. well the guy ducked just as ralph swung and knocked ronnie out cold the street stock guys just laughed.

Another one was the 358 race at Syracuse, I was on a wrecker, pretty sure it was bud christman I think was name, was leading and he kept taking off on restarts from turn 2 then he would let off, pretty sure Donnelly warned him and then he caused a huge pile up on backstretch. We get over there and grabbed a car, and take off for pits. Get to his pits and (no disrespect here) it was a Canadian. We didn't speak Canadian and they didn't speak English. Kept asking if they wanted it up to put jack stands under it or just wanted it on ground. They were screaming at us in what I'm sure wasn't nice words. Donnelly screaming on radio to get going, so we start going like this, u want it up👍 Or down👎? Did that a few times with no hand signal so we set it down unhooked and took off. They come unwound with shouting I'm sure better words and the one guy chased us to try to get us to come back. We came back In with another car and he did again. 

21 minutes ago, dan dan said:

Another one was the 358 race at Syracuse, I was on a wrecker, pretty sure it was bud christman I think was name, was leading and he kept taking off on restarts from turn 2 then he would let off, pretty sure Donnelly warned him and then he caused a huge pile up on backstretch. We get over there and grabbed a car, and take off for pits. Get to his pits and (no disrespect here) it was a Canadian. We didn't speak Canadian and they didn't speak English. Kept asking if they wanted it up to put jack stands under it or just wanted it on ground. They were screaming at us in what I'm sure wasn't nice words. Donnelly screaming on radio to get going, so we start going like this, u want it up👍 Or down👎? Did that a few times with no hand signal so we set it down unhooked and took off. They come unwound with shouting I'm sure better words and the one guy chased us to try to get us to come back. We came back In with another car and he did again. 

That was the 2002 big block race, guessing it may have been Steve Poirier's team?