Larson in a modified for Port Royal 53,000 show?

The question needs to be asked: How do you think Larson would do in a modified at Deyo’s $53,000 to win show at Port a Royal next month? I haven't seen anything to suggest he wouldn’t be extremely competitive if he was in a quality ride. Does anyone have any ideas on who has a quality ride available if he were available? 

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It was hard but not impossible to pass at Port. Owens came from last to 7th, aided by yellows and guys having problems. TMac was up to 5th at the end, ran as low as 11th. Larson's car was excellent. H

You are just massively shitting on Dave Blaney, and I don't know why. Larson being a very good racer is not contingent on trying to cut down Blaney. Blaney's run in the original Teo Pro car was t

I firmly believe that if Kyle Larson flew overnight to France and started the Tour de France (even at stage 4) he would still find a way to win.

He looked very good last night. I’m sure many top drivers have a ride open for him. B Shepp, Ferguson and Satterlee we’re catching him late but ran out of time.

There are several teams out there with an extra car. Larson could jump in an be competitive .   But would the drivers on those teams with the extra car want this?

44 minutes ago, Josh Bayko said:

He’d be very competitive. Would be cool to see someone give him a ride for it. 

A competitive ride was offered, but he respectfully declined due to him having a prior commitment, as mentioned by the previous poster. 

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, jrkenn said:

He is running the Rumley Late Model that weekend in a $100,000 to win show

The DTWC may not actually be happening. Ohio’s Covid rules change pretty much daily. 

I wish we could get a driver who has driven both a modified and a late model competitively to see what they think. I've seen our Mod guys do very well getting in to Late Models. You rarely see if ever a Late Model driver or Sprint car driver jump in our type of modifieds and win.

But seeing what Larson has accomplished, with a top ride and some practice sessions and a couple races like at Port Royal. I don't see why he wouldn't be a contender. But we have a Sheppard and a Freisen, and recently a Pauch that seem to be completely unbeatable in the Big Shows or any where else they race. So I welcome it, it would be absolutely awesome. Every driver I've read about who has come from other types of racing and tried out our Big Block Modifieds said (and just paraphrasing) Its a complete different beast. But so is Kyle Larson it seems.

15 minutes ago, Jack Brady said:

I wish we could get a driver who has driven both a modified and a late model competitively to see what they think. I've seen our Mod guys do very well getting in to Late Models. You rarely see if ever a Late Model driver or Sprint car driver jump in our type of modifieds and win.

But seeing what Larson has accomplished, with a top ride and some practice sessions and a couple races like at Port Royal. I don't see why he wouldn't be a contender. But we have a Sheppard and a Freisen, and recently a Pauch that seem to be completely unbeatable in the Big Shows or any where else they race. So I welcome it, it would be absolutely awesome. Every driver I've read about who has come from other types of racing and tried out our Big Block Modifieds said (and just paraphrasing) Its a complete different beast. But so is Kyle Larson it seems.

T-Mac

There were people were doubting a top five by Larson in the Super Late.

And.........  he won

21 minutes ago, Jack Brady said:

I think Larson would win in a modified early and often. Jimmy Owens and T-Mac are cream of the crop.

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, leroy said:

T-Mac

There were people were doubting a top five by Larson in the Super Late.

And.........  he won

He clearly would be a contender, his ability to adapt to different cars immediately is second to none. 

Lets face it, the talent in Sprints and late models is deeper simply because they pull from a National talent pool where mod drivers pull from the Northeast and Canada. Id compare the dirt mod pool to a non-winged sprint talent pool and Larson dominated that division almost immediately back in 2011-12. 

• Like 2

You have TMac's number? lol Cause I've never seen him post on here.

Also I was thinking more of a person who has come from Late Models to try a Big Block Modified.  I know very few people who grew up in Sprint cars ever had much success in our dirt modifieds. Kinser, Swindell, Fitzcharles all looked good at Syracuse but would of liked to see what they would of been like over at Rolling Wheels, Brewerton, or Weedsport. I know the Cup drivers who have raced our cars definitely respect how hard they are to drive.

Just now, con7 said:

He clearly would be a contender, his ability to adapt to different cars immediately is second to none. 

Lets face it, the talent in Sprints and late models is deeper simply because they pull from a National talent pool where mod drivers pull from the Northeast and Canada. Id compare the dirt mod pool to a non-winged sprint talent pool and Larson dominated that division almost immediately back in 2011-12. 

Yes but, Larson grew up around Sprints. And we've seen guys who could barely get a modified around a race track get competitive in a Sprint Car pretty fast. They definitely are two completely different beasts. Jeff Heotzler jumped in a Late Model a Bloomquist car when they were at OCFS and he loved it. He said he could put that thing any where.  

I'm not saying Larson couldn't win quickly like he did in Late Models, remember he didn't jump in a Late Model last Thursday, he tested multiple times in that car with a top team that has been in racing for 6 decades. I just think Larson would need to do the same with a dirt modified, meaning more then one race day. And that multiple top drivers through the years that have tried our cars have said basically the same thing, that they are much different then any other type of race car and harder to get use to. Kyle would need a few nights of racing to get use to racing in against our guys. It only took him 2 features to win, Friday nights race got rained out and he was already a contender for that night. There is absolutely no way he could just show up at Port Royal jump in a modified without any idea what he is getting in to and be a threat. Kevin Rumley even said it was more about him getting use to it then anything else. Larson knowledge and communication skills helped them get the car set pretty quickly. Then it was just a matter of him getting use to it. 

Ken Schrader raced multiple types of mods, sprints, stock cars. I think he raced in one of Randy Kisacky's cars once. Maybe Mr. Akulis can tell us if Ken had anything to say about them. 

1 hour ago, Jack Brady said:

A number of years ago, Josh Richards was in a Brett Hearn backup at VMS. He was fast straight away, but broke. 

Austin Hubbard has been running some big block races. He’s competitive. 

There’s a guy named John Mollick out my way that made the switch from SLM to big blocks. He’s competitive. 

I doubted Kyle Larson, and I was 100% wrong. He’s the best racecar driver on the planet and would be nearly unbeatable in a top big block ride. While they are different than anything else, if he can master a 410 sprint, a midget and a super late model, a big block would not be as difficult. Nobody in my lifetime has done what he just did. When T-Mac and fuller made the jump they were not in junk, and some say the cars were easier to drive back then. They were nowhere near what he is at race #2 in a late model. Larson is at a different talent level than the rest of the country when it comes to dirt racing. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Josh Bayko said:

The DTWC may not actually be happening. Ohio’s Covid rules change pretty much daily. 

If it doesn't I'm sure the offer will stand.  

• Like 1

Larson is making a case for the best ever... Well, at least the single best season ever. Overall numbers won't tell the tale, but the different cars he's driven, against some of the deepest fields ever assembled and the win percentage he's racked up...

This is once in a lifetime stuff. And I'm no fans of his. I respect the talent and I am honestly just happy that I have had the opportunity to see it in person.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, scottnorwood said:

I think Larson would win in a modified early and often. Jimmy Owens and T-Mac are cream of the crop.

did anyone forget the name dave blaney, syracuse. ran good right out of the box after getting used to it. like father (lou). like son

52 minutes ago, doober said:

did anyone forget the name dave blaney, syracuse. ran good right out of the box after getting used to it. like father (lou). like son

Yea I remember Dave Blaney....never won at Syracuse...never won in NASCAR.

He is like Wal-Mart "Great Value" brand generic of Kyle Larson.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
40 minutes ago, westracing01 said:

Larson is making a case for the best ever... Well, at least the single best season ever. Overall numbers won't tell the tale, but the different cars he's driven, against some of the deepest fields ever assembled and the win percentage he's racked up...

This is once in a lifetime stuff. And I'm no fans of his. I respect the talent and I am honestly just happy that I have had the opportunity to see it in person.

I noticed something last night that was a first in my over 55 years of going to races. Very few people left the stands until after the victory lane interviews. Usually, as soon as the headliner race is over, sometimes even before, there  often is a mad dash for the parking lot. Not last night. I don't know if they were waiting for the E-Mod  feature or to see if they were going to win the $11,000 50/50. But I think they realized that this was a "once in a lifetime" moment.

I'm not a late model fan, and even after last night , I'm still not. I was at Kokomo Speedway in Indiana for 3 days of USAC wingless sprints. But on Saturday morning I decided to pass on the last day, and head for home because Port Royal is well, kinda, sorta, on the way home to NY. Maybe I would witness Larson make history,  and guess what...…….

4 minutes ago, Pinesol said:

I know Kyle earned the outside pole. Do you think he would have won if he started outside the top five?

He was not even going hard most of that race.  Only pushed the car when needed.  So I'd say barring any mishaps in traffic, yeah, he had a pretty good shot no matter where he started.

1 hour ago, Pinesol said:

I know Kyle earned the outside pole. Do you think he would have won if he started outside the top five?

He would have NEVER won if he started about 12th. Sincerely, Matt Sheppard. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1