Wondering what other tracks do in terms of their rain out policy?

I was at race track in Ontario Canada this past Saturday.  It rained at intermission for about 10 minutes.   All that was completed was the heat races and none of the features.  They came on the PA system to say they were pulling the plug of the remainder of the evenings schedule.  About 15-20 minutes later it rained a bit more, but not enough they couldn't have put the effort in to get the track back racing.  They had 7 different classes of cars in the pits.   Then they  continued to say over the PA that they would be running the features this Saturday and for people to keep their wrist bands.

Move ahead a couple days and they have a change of plan.  They are not offering any races this Saturday.  They have went ahead and shuffled the features over two night, Oct 2 & 3 as part of what they are calling their Fall Nationals.  So no refund for anyone in attendance or credit towards the next event.  They charged $40 for Saturday nights race and now want to charge everyone another $55 to see the features from Saturday on Oct 2.  The track's website doesn't even have a rain out policy.  They did come up with one today though but honestly it was a very poor effort at one.  They just copied another Ontario tracks rain out policy and changed a few things to reflect it to be about their own track.  I have to think it was created in a pinch after having it brought to their attention but I may be wrong.

So I guess is a evenings race deemed half over at intermission or when half of the evenings laps have been run?  In this case with only the heat races being completed there was no way that half the laps were completed.  I along with others who I have spoke to feel like the speedway is not making a professional business decision in this matter.  Rather them just thinking about their pocket books during these unprecedented time.  They have went as far as blocking someone I know on Facebook from messaging them about their decision.  To me that just makes them look even worse with not being willing to discuss the matter more.

Is this the normal for when rain moves in at intermission at tracks?  That is when the evenings program has been deemed half over?  Or is this a track being a bit ridiculous with their approach.  If this seems like a track just looking out for their own financial gain then I see myself crossing it off my list of tracks to attend in the future.  Don't get me wrong I know we are living in a different world right now but to me this still seems rather gouging than a proper business move.

8 minutes ago, Fuller#1 said:

Is this the normal for when rain moves in at intermission at tracks?  That is when the evenings program has been deemed half over?  Or is this a track being a bit ridiculous with their approach.

That is normal in central New York.  There may be slight variations, but half of the scheduled events is the norm.  

5 minutes ago, Fulbrew said:

That is normal in central New York.  There may be slight variations, but half of the scheduled events is the norm.  

So intermission indicates halfway through the night then?  Not the total number of laps raced or left to be raced?

Most tracks I know if it rained after all the heats were in it was considered a full show if all heats are finished. And the tracks would tag the features on to other shows at no extra charge.

Most tracks I've ever been to once the heat races are done which usually intermission is after heats it's a complete show. Then they just add a extra feature or 2 in the next few weeks. 

57 minutes ago, Fuller#1 said:

So intermission indicates halfway through the night then?  Not the total number of laps raced or left to be raced?

More or less, yes.  It's not an exact halfway, but if you make it to intermission don't plan on using the raincheck.  In theory you could reach half of the events without seeing every class.  If you had 7 classes with 2 heats each, you have 21 events total.  After the 11th event, you are past halfway, even though there are still three heats left.  Can't say that I've seen it, but it's possible.

As for laps run, I don't think I've ever heard of a track using half of the laps as a guide.

As for adding the features to the next show, in theory you don't lose anything.  You pay for a second show, but when it's all over, you have seen two complete programs. 

• Like 1

In the Capital Region, once the heat races are over & any B mains, its considered a complete show if rain cancels the rest of the night. Basically all qualifying. Features will be made up the next wk or 3 depending how many classes that track runs each wk.

Edit: Damn, I'm forgetting shit already, thx Leroy, corrected the above to include all qualifying. 

Heats and B Main or consis most places I have been.  Not just heats.

if Qualifying gets in ?  then no rain checks

The facebook thing? ?  That is not the way to go about anything,  facebook drama just creates more problems

Jerry    Jerry

Mama says "FACEBOOK IS DA DEVIL!!!"

I didn't type it, just in my head the thought was a  consis or b main was basically a heat. So like most said after them it's complete. 

5 hours ago, Fuller#1 said:

Wondering what other tracks do in terms of their rain out policy?

I was at race track in Ontario Canada this past Saturday.  It rained at intermission for about 10 minutes.   All that was completed was the heat races and none of the features.  They came on the PA system to say they were pulling the plug of the remainder of the evenings schedule.  About 15-20 minutes later it rained a bit more, but not enough they couldn't have put the effort in to get the track back racing.  They had 7 different classes of cars in the pits.   Then they  continued to say over the PA that they would be running the features this Saturday and for people to keep their wrist bands.

Move ahead a couple days and they have a change of plan.  They are not offering any races this Saturday.  They have went ahead and shuffled the features over two night, Oct 2 & 3 as part of what they are calling their Fall Nationals.  So no refund for anyone in attendance or credit towards the next event.  They charged $40 for Saturday nights race and now want to charge everyone another $55 to see the features from Saturday on Oct 2.  The track's website doesn't even have a rain out policy.  They did come up with one today though but honestly it was a very poor effort at one.  They just copied another Ontario tracks rain out policy and changed a few things to reflect it to be about their own track.  I have to think it was created in a pinch after having it brought to their attention but I may be wrong.

So I guess is a evenings race deemed half over at intermission or when half of the evenings laps have been run?  In this case with only the heat races being completed there was no way that half the laps were completed.  I along with others who I have spoke to feel like the speedway is not making a professional business decision in this matter.  Rather them just thinking about their pocket books during these unprecedented time.  They have went as far as blocking someone I know on Facebook from messaging them about their decision.  To me that just makes them look even worse with not being willing to discuss the matter more.

Is this the normal for when rain moves in at intermission at tracks?  That is when the evenings program has been deemed half over?  Or is this a track being a bit ridiculous with their approach.  If this seems like a track just looking out for their own financial gain then I see myself crossing it off my list of tracks to attend in the future.  Don't get me wrong I know we are living in a different world right now but to me this still seems rather gouging than a proper business move.

From your comments, I'm gathering you are a newer fan to racing.  Like most have noted, when heat races are completed, it is and has been in years pass a completed program if rain starts. Several years ago at most tracks with 4 heat races completed regardless how many heats they had it was a completed show. In todays world once heats are completed, it is a completed show. With the amount of rain that fell in a short time, even though it stopped, so I was told, the track was lost. one thing to keep in mind when this happens, its takes at least a couple hours to bring the track back to a race conditions. From the line up I seen, you had several teams that traveled five hours one-way to race. The track also has to take into consideration that as well for their travel home. I was also told a second cell came in shortly after it had stopped. The bottom line is yes after all heats are completed the show is considered completed. I suspect the reason for the change to a later date was because of commitments drivers have this weekend at other tracks that are running special races. Instead of challenging the tracks decision, yes I understand your hard earned money you used to get tickets wasn't fulfilled.  With todays covid19 requirements and restrictions and unlike all other tracks that have reduced  totally purse for all classes. This is the only track around the area that has kept the regular purse. They should have positive feed back and not being questioned or challenged about the decision to move the features out to their big weekend. 

• Like 2

It's so brockville to not put the effort to get the features in, and take your cash, the place is shady as hell.People totally understand that if your in for rain for a while and you can't get the track back, yes go ahead and call it a show.But when you could of got the features in after a bit of rain and you pull the plug, that really pisses people off.

The only way to handle a rain out policy is how Orange County handled it for the 100th.

You let the drivers run until it really rains. Then, you let the drivers tell the race director what they really think and to get back in their tower. After all that edge-of-your-seat excitement, you let them run. 

Any other way is just taking the easy way out. 

This was my 49th year as a fan of local stock car racing. In all of that time, the rain out policy has always been once the heats are done, the show was considered complete. 

The only time I ever had a problem with this was when the promoter tried upping the admission charges on the night when the Modifieds ran double features. People who were there for the rain out show already paid to see the makeup feature.

• Like 1

Down here in Western Pa it used to be you had to get the first feature in for it to be a complete show but in the last 15 or so years everyone has went to the once the heats are completed there’s no rain checks

6 hours ago, BobMiller said:

This was my 49th year as a fan of local stock car racing. In all of that time, the rain out policy has always been once the heats are done, the show was considered complete. 

The only time I ever had a problem with this was when the promoter tried upping the admission charges on the night when the Modifieds ran double features. People who were there for the rain out show already paid to see the makeup feature.

When that happened to me they gave a discount if you kept your ticket from the rainout and charged more if you didn't have one if they ran double features for the modifieds for example.

6 hours ago, BobMiller said:

I think most promoters typically charge an extra buck or two when they are running double modified features after a rain out.  Not saying its right or wrong, just seems to be a pretty common practice. 

13 hours ago, dan dan said:

I didn't type it, just in my head the thought was a  consis or b main was basically a heat. So like most said after them it's complete. 

The reason the B main thing came to mind was a race I attended earlier this year.  At The Living Legends Dream race it started raining right after the B-main. Perhaps during.  Since the heats and B-main were completed.  Wrist Bands were considered done as well.  However many of the track regulars at Port Royal told me if the B-main never got on the track , that he wristbands still would of been good for another event.   Regardless of the heats being completed.

Seems as I have seen and or heard of rainouts happening many different ways though.  Not all tracks are the same.

Lincoln Speedway a few years back for the USAC midgets.  It rained after the heats. May have even ran a consis? I do not remember.  I do remember I mailed in my ticket stub to Lincoln Speedway and received a $20 check back in the mail.  Also in the envelope were two separate $2 dollar off coupons to the track  👍

I have been going to Brockville Speedway for a long time and it has always been my understanding that the rain out policy is once the heat races are complete, there will be no rain checks should it rain after that point.

With regards to initially saying it would be rescheduled to this weekend, I believe they realized that there were other races already scheduled and didn't want to create a conflict with another track, hence why it is all packed in to the Fall Nationals weekend. Fingers are crossed for good weather :sungum:.

As to whether or not they could have gotten the track run back in, I doubt it. It rained pretty hard and I heard it rained off and on a couple more times throughout the night. I know that it rained nearly the entire way home for us. Paul is normally pretty good at getting the show in when the track gets hit with weather, but he also understands that he had a few drivers with long drives home, so it wouldn't had made sense to have them hang around just to get rained out later on in the night.

17 hours ago, Stewyfan44 said:

It's so brockville to not put the effort to get the features in, and take your cash, the place is shady as hell.People totally understand that if your in for rain for a while and you can't get the track back, yes go ahead and call it a show.But when you could of got the features in after a bit of rain and you pull the plug, that really pisses people off.

Were you at the track?

It was around 8:30 when the skies opened up....Started raining at intermission and rained off and on until around 10ish.

The track was gone.....even the medic car had a hard time crossing from the infield. There is no way anyone could have raced. It would have taken hours to get the track back.

But go ahead and slam the track anyways. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 2

I always just assume that after heats my money is gone for the night. I’ve also been to one track that offered cash back instead of a rain check & another that did a night of features with the stands free to anyone. 

• Like 1