Pay to enter,and race but get no prize money.Tracks cant survive with no fans allowed and be expected to pay all the bills.NHRA just reduced their top fuel classes from 50k to win to 15k,,hows teams gonna react to that? Who the heck will drive to fla,the next race for that?

I thought NHRA was more like NASCAR where the majority of a team's money is generated from sponsors not what the events actually pay. If either had to rely on what the event actually paid you wouldn't be seeing multi-million dollar drivers and owners.

As for local tracks doing pay to play. I don't see that happening. Most guys racing dirt don't do it for a living, but what little money they do get helps.  They kind of thing is better off to the high-end sports car club racers at the road courses.

Though back in the day, most of the smaller support classes just raced for trophies. But you wouldn't be able to swing that with the modified classes, sprints, pro-stock, late model... hell even the street stock classes and others now complain about what they get. 

12 hours ago, Sicklajoie said:

Thompson Speedway in CT tried to slash their purses at the beginning of the season. Went from 1500 to win to 400 and only paying the top 10.

4 modifieds showed up.

That is not 100% correct.  The owners dropped the purses for the season.  The new promoters who came in at the last minute to run 2 events at the track raised the purses back up, but still only 4 cars showed up for some reason. 

This isn't far off of how a lot of tracks operate right now.  The weekly (which isnt really weekly) sprint car class at Easy Bay runs for like $300 to win.  When i ran in the mini sprint series down here we paid a membership of a hundred or whatever, then at each race we paid out 30 dollar pit pass and a 20 or 25 dollar race entry fee, and the last race i ran i finished 12th and got a fancy $25 check out of out.      

• Like 1

I'm sorta surprised more tracks didn't do/try it. The ones that tried the end around with fans I'd guess may have broke even a few times or made a few bucks. The ones that stuck with no fans, and the other tracks when they went back to it one would think with regular purses they must be loosing every week. No fans, no food and or if they sell beer. Lebanon valley said in that one article 8-10 grand a week, not total is what I believe what it said. Ain't a lot of track owners/promoters or any business gonna sustain that for long. Wouldn't surprise me at all if prices from admission to food go up some next year to try to recoup something. 

30 minutes ago, dan dan said:

with regular purses they must be losing every week. No fans, no food and or if they sell beer. Lebanon valley said in that one article 8-10 grand a week, not total is what I believe what it said.

I'm thinking that's $8-10k they lost out on, not actually lost.

If I remember it was stuck in the middle of that article about brewerton and Fulton a few weeks back when howie said that. I remember it, not exactly if it was weekly or total just that most on here thought it was odd it was stuck In the middle of that article. I'm guessing someone will remember what thread it was in and find it. 

2 hours ago, matt_s86 said:

I'm thinking that's $8-10k they lost out on, not actually lost.

Actually lost. Otherwise he wouldn't have pulled the plug early on the year.

Purses stayed the same, and to his credit, the backgate only went up $5 to $30 to get in the pits.

The dragway is still doing shows.

Why would anyone operate knowingly at a $8-10K loss consistently every week? What is the benefit to that other than blind hope the situation was going to get better and you’d be able to make up more money at the end of the year when fans were hopefully going to be allowed?

I could be wrong...

• Like 1

That's why I said I couldn't remember if it was every week or total loss, and I figured someone would find the thread with the article in it. Either way it surely ain't a drop In The bucket for most. 

9 hours ago, JMB said:

That is not 100% correct.  The owners dropped the purses for the season.  The new promoters who came in at the last minute to run 2 events at the track raised the purses back up, but still only 4 cars showed up for some reason. 

I think 4 mods because they opened in August and the teams have been running Stafford for a while now. You can’t wreck the car Thursday at Thompson and make it to Stafford on Friday.

45 minutes ago, valleyfan said:

I think 4 mods because they opened in August and the teams have been running Stafford for a while now. You can’t wreck the car Thursday at Thompson and make it to Stafford on Friday.

Yeah, 3 of the 4 drivers ran Stafford the next night. However, they did so with different cars(and different numbers too).  They had a decent amount of Late Models, but none of them would have had to race anywhere until Saturday or Sunday if the planned on doing so.  Hopefully none of the SK Mod or SK Lite drivers who raced at Stafford Friday counted on racing anywhere Saturday, because they just wrecked each other into oblivion during the features. 

There would be bitching and chewing online and in the pits but I honestly don’t think that lowering the purses would dramatically alter car counts. The mistake that was made was enabling some to make a living as modified drivers in the northeast. Costs have subsequently skyrocketed and there seems to be no appetite to going back to the way things were. So it is what it is. Again, just my opinion, but guys rolling in with $300,000 rigs, lettered up, and filled with $200,000 in race cars, engine and accessories while racing to win $2,500 tells you it isn’t about the money. 

It’s the smaller teams who look to the sponsors and purses to keep afloat week to week. This is where I believe there would be a dramatic alteration in car counts if the purses where to change significantly (mainly in the 3rd to 30th place payouts). 

• Like 2
22 hours ago, luke81 said:

This isn't far off of how a lot of tracks operate right now.  The weekly (which isnt really weekly) sprint car class at Easy Bay runs for like $300 to win.  When i ran in the mini sprint series down here we paid a membership of a hundred or whatever, then at each race we paid out 30 dollar pit pass and a 20 or 25 dollar race entry fee, and the last race i ran i finished 12th and got a fancy $25 check out of out.      

Yeah I have head it mentioned that outside of the Northeast, most dirt tracks do not pay much to win for a headline division.  Knoxville might be one of the only exceptions.  The various touring series and special events is where money can be made for the drivers in those places. 

On 9/16/2020 at 10:07 AM, JMB said:

Yeah I have head it mentioned that outside of the Northeast, most dirt tracks do not pay much to win for a headline division.  Knoxville might be one of the only exceptions.  The various touring series and special events is where money can be made for the drivers in those places. 

100%.  Guys in the racing hot beds can still race for good money, because they still generate revenue in the stands.  I'd wager a guess that the majority of the country is basically on the pay-to-play model now with token payouts.  Just as an example, look at crate late models or 
RaceSaver sprints.  Those cars mostly pay squat to win, and were introduced as a low-buck option, but now people are spending 50k on those cars to race for a few hundred.