Jump to content



Recommended Posts

I am convinced after just 2 shows that a "Speedweek" style SDW would be more entertaining than Oswego Speedway w/dirt or Syracuse SDW.

I am thinking much like most of you something like:

Friday - Hurricane 100 at Brewerton 10k to win BB SDS and Spts

Saturday - Outlaw 200 at Fulton 20k to win BB SDS and Spts

Sunday - Ransomville 358 SDS and Pro Stocks

Monday - Weedsport BB SDS and 360 sprints

Tuesday - Can Am BB SDS and Spts

Wednesday - Utica Rome 358 SDS and 360 sprints

Thursday - Albany Saratoga BB SDS and Pro stocks

Friday - Canandaigua BB SDS and sprotsman

Saturday - Weedsport 4 classes qualify

Sunday - Weedsport 4 classes BB SDS, SB SDS, Spts, PS

Camping could be at any of the four tracks.

Something like this would be more fun for me. I would pick 3 or 4 shows and probably buy rest online.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I’d much rather have it at one location, SDW has always been about the build up to the big main event on Sunday, I myself have always liked that, plus I’d rather stay at the same location for lodging, having the options for satellite shows is great, honestly I hope they never change it, jmo that’s all.

  • Like 13
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Harry Meeks said:

I’d much rather have it at one location, SDW has always been about the build up to the big main event on Sunday, I myself have always liked that, plus I’d rather stay at the same location for lodging, having the options for satellite shows is great, honestly I hope they never change it, jmo that’s all.

Hey man I get it. Everyone has there own view.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Harry Meeks said:

I’d much rather have it at one location, SDW has always been about the build up to the big main event on Sunday, I myself have always liked that, plus I’d rather stay at the same location for lodging, having the options for satellite shows is great, honestly I hope they never change it, jmo that’s all.

Agree 100%.  Why not a mid summer DIRT speed week?

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The problem with Oswego is that it's not centrally located so the car counts for the satellite shows has dropped a bunch lately.

I think you can do a bit of both if you focused on Fulton the first weekend and then Oswego the second weekend with the satellite shows Mon-Wed in between.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JAR1972 said:

Agree 100%.  Why not a mid summer DIRT speed week?

Yep, this is the dream. Make every race the 60 lap distance that Albany had.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Summer Speedweek is fine. Leave SDW alone. If anything, drop a couple of the satellite shows, it’s too much!

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites

This week the teams are able to race there cars 358 bb and all of these teams are able to earn more money than they would racing 1 time at oswego. Phelps alone walked out with 10k for 1 nights worth of work with 2 cars and he didnt have to race 200 laps to do it. Start east and go west like they did this year. Come up with 1 ticket for the week lets say $300 and you get 6 nights of racing with bb sb spts and pstk. Get a room each night and on Sunday afternoon your main event happens at weedsport and then everyone goes home. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, jumper12a said:

Summer Speedweek is fine. Leave SDW alone. If anything, drop a couple of the satellite shows, it’s too much!

From what I'm hearing, U-R may be under Deyo's wing next year....certainly hope so....that will shorten the satellite shows by one

Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Harry Meeks said:

I’d much rather have it at one location, SDW has always been about the build up to the big main event on Sunday, I myself have always liked that, plus I’d rather stay at the same location for lodging, having the options for satellite shows is great, honestly I hope they never change it, jmo that’s all.

I just wish it was at pure dirt track. Agreed one location or maybe 2 is best.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, racer80 said:

From what I'm hearing, U-R may be under Deyo's wing next year....certainly hope so....that will shorten the satellite shows by one

Gl with that lol

Link to post
Share on other sites

I love this series instead of it being at Oswego. Super DIRT Week was Syracuse and satellite shows. I've gone to Oswego for one reason only. Super Mods.  I will not say the racing hasn't been good, because it has. But it's not Syracuse it doesn't feel like Super DIRT Week. There are many things I don't like about Oswego for Super DIRT Week. Most are just petty little things. But I don't know, this feels more like a much better fit now. There aren't really many 200 lappers left for modifieds. And I don't know, I would like to hear owners and drivers opinions on this. But it seems like it might be cheaper in the long run.  And you don't have to run every night if you don't want to. 

If they can bring the car counts every year like they had last night + fans? That has to be more profitable for the tracks also. When was the last time they had a Big Block modified race with 5 full heats and 2 full Consi's? Or how about the 358's? Seven heats and 3 Consi's with at least 16 cars in each consi? Hell the Vic 200 hasn't had numbers like that in over what ? 20 years?

Plus you know you are going to get that big support from the Sportsman cars across the state.

I would just camp at like Weedsport all week, or try to rent out Rolling Wheels area for camping too. Maybe even rent a few buses for people who pre-bought their tickets to take people to each track without having to drive up and down the interstate or finding a place to park at the track. 

Way more tracks will benefit. How many tracks benefit from the racing at Oswego Super DIRT Week?

I love the 200 lap races and live pit stops. Miss the Mr. DIRT Series 200 lap races. But maybe some people are right and they just really don't need them anymore. 60 laps is really a good number for a race. Just far enough you have to conserver tires, but just short enough that you have to get to the front as soon as you can. It's a very good balance.

The only thing I have a concern about is the amount of fuel/gas the teams and fans might have to pay for the traveling.

Plus I like the fact that if they don't have the races at Oswego, tax payers don't end up paying for it.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I love Oswego. The racing has been very good. Yeah its expensive but so was Syracuse. If anything dropping the satellite shows and rotating classes in and out of Oswego and doing all the racing at night would be cool. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, con7 said:

The problem with Oswego is that it's not centrally located so the car counts for the satellite shows has dropped a bunch lately.

I think the problem with car counts is twofold: 

  1. You no longer need a "Special" car to run Super DIRT Week, so all the guys who ran satellites in the past are now trying their hand at the main event (which is a good thing) and, 
  2. The pit area at Oswego is a PACKED... If you've been in there you know that the cars and teams are packed in like sardines, which makes it extremely difficult for a team to pack up and leave to head to the satellite shows.  When we were at the mile, there was some room to navigate and move around, but once you park your rig at Oswego for the week, you're in for the duration. 

Utica actually had the highest car count of all the Satellites last year, which makes sense because it was BEFORE all the teams got loaded into Oswego. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, FondaFan16 said:

I think the problem with car counts is twofold: 

  1. You no longer need a "Special" car to run Super DIRT Week, so all the guys who ran satellites in the past are now trying their hand at the main event (which is a good thing) and, 
  2. The pit area at Oswego is a PACKED... If you've been in there you know that the cars and teams are packed in like sardines, which makes it extremely difficult for a team to pack up and leave to head to the satellite shows.  When we were at the mile, there was some room to navigate and move around, but once you park your rig at Oswego for the week, you're in for the duration. 

Utica actually had the highest car count of all the Satellites last year, which makes sense because it was BEFORE all the teams got loaded into Oswego. 

That’s why I think the Oswego should start on Thursday and you can use Mon-Wed for the satellite shows. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, racer80 said:

From what I'm hearing, U-R may be under Deyo's wing next year....certainly hope so....that will shorten the satellite shows by one

i feel sorry for that place. they can't seen to get a break with the weather. i for one would stay away from promoting a race that place seems to have a weather curse on it . jmo how many rain outs in the  lets say 2 yrs. any one know? how many shows were run.?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, premiumdiesel said:

utica is a money looser from the get go. sunday night racing is difficult at best. 

You never know, UR may not race on Sunday next year.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, chas71 said:

You never know, UR may not race on Sunday next year.

I heard they will switch to Friday if Deyo deal goes through......Times have changed & I think Thursday is the best night because most people today get paid on Thursday & by then fans are chomping at the bit to see racing

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, racer80 said:

I heard they will switch to Friday if Deyo deal goes through......Times have changed & I think Thursday is the best night because most people today get paid on Thursday & by then fans are chomping at the bit to see racing

Thursday nights at Thunder Road in Vermont have worked for years. And they chose racing on Thursday for that exact reason. Payday for all the granite workers.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, WheelsUpHammerDown10 said:

Thursday nights at Thunder Road in Vermont have worked for years. And they chose racing on Thursday for that exact reason. Payday for all the granite workers.

Thunder Road is my favorite track...love it there!!!

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

RE; original post of Speedweek style vs. SDW at Oswego... remember one thing... money.  World Racing Group is the promoter of SDW, they partner with Oswego and make all the money.  If you dissolved SDW, you've got 4-5 other promoters with their hands in the mix that expect to make money with their facility.  While this format is great, I can't see WRG giving up their cash cow in the North East.  Definitely would like to see this format in the summer though (two divisions max!). 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.















×
×
  • Create New...