Deyos wife is ill and is undergoing treatment. I dont think he is going to uproot and head up to NY for another race track especially a track that looses money. If they were making money they wouldn't have chopped the 358 purse down to 1500. 

6 hours ago, jwin said:

RE; original post of Speedweek style vs. SDW at Oswego... remember one thing... money.  World Racing Group is the promoter of SDW, they partner with Oswego and make all the money.  If you dissolved SDW, you've got 4-5 other promoters with their hands in the mix that expect to make money with their facility.  While this format is great, I can't see WRG giving up their cash cow in the North East.  Definitely would like to see this format in the summer though (two divisions max!). 

If you could ever get the tracks to work together could do 7-8 straight nights with 5-6 BB shows, 2-3 358 shows, and 6 or 7 sportsman shows. 

But agree 100 percent, do 2 divisions max each night except for maybe Saturday night somewhere at like Fulton or Weedsport.

Speedweeks are cool but for a modified team it’s a nightmare!!  Sprint cars can get away with it because the cars don’t need to be scaled they use set up blocks.  Trying to find a level parking lot sucks. If your lucky you hook up with a fellow racer to use his shop.  It’s a lot on these teams to turn the car around every night.  At Dirt Week your all set up in one spot plus all the chassis builders have there tents set up so you can scale the car anytime you want. That’s Big big plus and huge help.  Sure all the drivers think it’s cool and so did we but ask them in two weeks I bet a lot of them prefer dirt week at one track. 

• Like 1

I gotta say....my wife and I have talked about this and honestly, if they tried this next year with fans....we would quite possibly take a week and follow the series.  I like the idea.

• Like 1

I’ve thought the same thing Fred. Be a nice way to travel across the state and see some great scenery and racing at the same time. I think they should try to keep it to 2 divisions each night thought, 3 seems to drag out a long time...

• Like 1
9 hours ago, WMR Racing said:

Speedweeks are cool but for a modified team it’s a nightmare!!  Sprint cars can get away with it because the cars don’t need to be scaled they use set up blocks.  Trying to find a level parking lot sucks. If your lucky you hook up with a fellow racer to use his shop.  It’s a lot on these teams to turn the car around every night.  At Dirt Week your all set up in one spot plus all the chassis builders have there tents set up so you can scale the car anytime you want. That’s Big big plus and huge help.  Sure all the drivers think it’s cool and so did we but ask them in two weeks I bet a lot of them prefer dirt week at one track. 

Appreciate the perspective from a driver/crew POV. Certainly wasn't thinking about that and how hard the turnaround time is with washing and prepping the car night after night on the road.

I guess one small positive as opposed to traditional SDW is your don't need a crew to try and do live pit stops? But I'm guessing that trade off is much different for 2 days than it is for a whole week.

I'd REALLY love to hear Rob Hile's perspective on this a few days after OktoberFAST is over once he's had time to catch up on sleep and breathe!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You technically don't need a large crew to do pit stops at SDW either. I don't believe you can lose a lap under yellow in the pits anymore, so all you give up is track position. Obviously that's a detriment and you'd WANT a crew, but it's not necessarily a deal breaker. You could also simply get rid of live pit stops, which would save teams some money as they wouldn't have to have the quick fill stuff.

A Speedweek format is cool, and I'd like to maybe see it in the middle of the summer, but leave SDW at one track. It works well in PA because virtually ALL the tracks they race at are within an hour or so of each other, so you can pick one track and camp at it (Lincoln or The Grove usually) and drive to all the races. You don't have to uproot your campsite each night and go to a new track. 

Mod's are a much bigger pain in the ass to work on, wash and setup than a sprint car is. If the goal is getting the smaller teams involved more, this is not the way to do it. You bust your ass enough at Oswego during the week, doing it on the road 7 straight nights... No thanks.

• Like 1

This week was brutal on the crews and I only crewed 4 out of the 6 nights with a rainout thrown in. We never got to bed before 2 or 3 am and then had to be up and ready to leave for the track for an 11 am gate opening if you wanted any kind of decent pit spot. All that and we didn't have any wrecked cars. It was a neat deal, but you also have to remember this year was a complete anomaly due to the Virus so I'd be skeptical of this type of successful car counts in a "normal year" after a full season of racing took it's toll on teams. Not sure what the right format is , but I do know that both formats are brutal on the crews.

• Like 1

Yeah but you also didn't have the Canadian fans and their drivers. Imagine what it would of been like adding more Canadian cars Sportsman and 358s. Then add the Canadian fans with the US fans that would show up. It would f'ing crazy.

10 hours ago, Jack Brady said:

Yeah but you also didn't have the Canadian fans and their drivers. Imagine what it would of been like adding more Canadian cars Sportsman and 358s. Then add the Canadian fans with the US fans that would show up. It would f'ing crazy.

Well I'd try to help weekly tracks  Oswego is not a DIRT track ...Add the Valley to mix next year and start promoting 2021  NY  RT 90  HELL TOUR  soon ..... 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, old racer said:

Well I'd try to help weekly tracks  Oswego is not a DIRT track ...Add the Valley to mix next year and start promoting 2021  NY  RT 90  HELL TOUR  soon ..... 

As much as I loved it, it sounded like the week was pretty hellacious on the crews and teams. They even got an “off night” rain out so they only raced 5 out of 6 nights. To me, it sounds like this is probably a maximum amount of days that can be done while still getting quality support.

Maybe I’m wrong. Still would love to hear from Rob Hile and any other crew members, drivers about how the week went and what other tweaks they might suggest that could make easier on them.

From a fan’s perspective, other than not being able to attend in person if someone wanted, I thought it was awesome! I’ve always been craving a NY modified speedweeks.

10 minutes ago, WheelsUpHammerDown10 said:

As much as I loved it, it sounded like the week was pretty hellacious on the crews and teams. They even got an “off night” rain out so they only raced 5 out of 6 nights. To me, it sounds like this is probably a maximum amount of days that can be done while still getting quality support.

Maybe I’m wrong. Still would love to hear from Rob Hile and any other crew members, drivers about how the week went and what other tweaks they might suggest that could make easier on them.

From a fan’s perspective, other than not being able to attend in person if someone wanted, I thought it was awesome! I’ve always been craving a NY modified speedweeks.

WUHD we’ve gotta be long-lost twins as I was thinking the same exact things. I’ve wanted a CNY speedweek for years. 5 or 6 tracks, centrally located as much as possible, with a decent purse and a decent points championship to boot. Still keep SDW at the end of the year but have CNY speedweek in the middle of the summer. And I too would love to hear from guys like Rob Hile and Jake Spraker who were there in the trenches all week and what their thoughts are on a mid-summer speedweek. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Joshua Jello Loughnot said:

Keep it at Ozwego... Since the 1st year, racing at Ozwego has been great.... 

I don’t think anyone is advocating for it to move from Oswego currently. I think the question is, will the event be sustainable when/if the money from the State that WRG receives runs out?

• Like 1

It was definitely an interesting week, but not having that one home base of SDW made it weird.  Weedsport was home base for a bunch of cars but it definitely was far from that big event feel of SDW.

I could see shaking it up a bit, maybe condensing the days spent at Oswego but I think the big finale needs to stay at there.  Neutral territory is a great thing for a mega event like that also.

Does anyone think the car counts were so high because of limited racing this year and no sdw? Or would they be somewhere near that if they tried it sometime next year? Or a combination of limited racing and something new?

58 minutes ago, dan dan said:

Does anyone think the car counts were so high because of limited racing this year and no sdw? Or would they be somewhere near that if they tried it sometime next year? Or a combination of limited racing and something new?

My guess is combination of limited and racing and something new...also, every race was "televised" too to a "national" audience.

I don't know if DIRTcar would ever share approximate numbers with their platinum race teams but I surely would be interested in knowing broad numbers on the amount of viewers and then use it in my pitches to potential sponsorships for my car if I knew that X number of eyeballs were going to see my business on the side of a modified as well as announced a couple times by the broadcast team. 

• Like 1