What is going on with Matt? Just read a post about he is trying to get a handle on the new setups and everybody else has caught up to him. Im not so sure if that's what it is. Last couple of years there were lots of posts saying he is the best ever. Posts about races are won in the shop. Are they lost in the shop too? He has really dropped off I think considering when you take away his wins at Outlaw that leaves him with 9 wins out of 54 starts and he has been out of the top ten 13 times out of 69 starts. This would be a successful season for most drivers but how about somebody to be talked about as the best ever? He is probably due for a win I would say. I would not be surprised though to see him dominate tonight, but ya never know. Thoughts?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Friesen goes from 9th to 4th in his heat. Sheppard goes from 3rd to 1st in his heat. In the feature Friesen started 20th goes back to 30th and finishes 7th.  Sheppard starts 2nd and finishes 1st.  She

OMG WHATS WRONG WITH FRIESEN????? Seems as though he has really fallen off. Did everyone else catch up? Track have too much traction? Not enough? Very strange and just like that,  Sheppard is the clas

Can’t.....I have to ask what’s up with stew atleast 200 more times and in every thread, even if it has nothing to do with him.    I think Billy Pauch Jr looked like he might be in that lea

Sometimes guys get TOO creative in the shop and think themselves out of the box. And the longer they chase it, the further away from ground zero they get  Pretty soon, that's gone too. Matt's not done winning by a damn sight. He'll figure it out and start winning everything he enters like we are used to.

Wanna bet? :D

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, DowntheBackStretch said:

What is going on with Matt? Just read a post about he is trying to get a handle on the new setups and everybody else has caught up to him. Im not so sure if that's what it is. Last couple of years there were lots of posts saying he is the best ever. Posts about races are won in the shop. Are they lost in the shop too? He has really dropped off I think considering when you take away his wins at Outlaw that leaves him with 9 wins out of 54 starts and he has been out of the top ten 13 times out of 69 starts. This would be a successful season for most drivers but how about somebody to be talked about as the best ever? He is probably due for a win I would say. I would not be surprised though to see him dominate tonight, but ya never know. Thoughts?

Racing this week is won at draw Phelps picks pole at Fulton and wins Perrego picks front row at Can Am and wins ....You have like 28 outa 30 Bicknell cars on same tire same gears same shocks and near same set ups They all give and get advice from Bicknell who sells cars and most all the parts and tires so basically its's a Bicknell cash cow operation .....Gotta tip your hat to them No USA outfit can match them at this time which is hard to belief .....MS will probably come out with his own design ( till car builders copy and sell ) or just be another clone car in freight train racing  

1 hour ago, DowntheBackStretch said:

Looks to me when track has bite he dominates... Orange County  he won 4 in a row before closing He won 2 races on Super Series had a flat coming outa 4 th turn while leading on another Passed Mr ESPN at Bridgeport Super Dirt race late and broke  while leading with few laps to go Has won 9 at Outlaw .....No doubt last 2 years when on ice tracks he has not dominated   You have 28 outa 30 cars that are Bicknell clones same car same set up same tires near same gears so if you don't start up front in heats and either draw bad or don't even draw most drivers have no chance to win Very few cars on ice will come from back and win Both 358 and BB at Fulton came off pole Last nite Perrego same deal So tonite if ice track same deal probably Racing now is Bicknell cash cow show .parts . cars , tires ect  Win tonite tell them how you did it and they will pass info on to there kids to beat you next race ......Hell of a deal gotta tip your hat to them .....Amazon of racing .....

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, rpm72x said:

Thank the lord we have a thread dedicated to this. JohnyC can now post on Matt’s struggles, wait a day and then repost the same thing. Over and over again. 

What kind of a response is that? You usually have some pretty good posts. This one sounds like Im picking on your kid and you are coming to his defense. Lol. I think Im asking a legitimate question here on this chatboard. Old racer has some interesting points.  All I am trying to do is get a conversation going. Matt is not my favorite but I cant deny he is one of the best. But he is not performing as the greatest of all time. 

7 minutes ago, DowntheBackStretch said:

What kind of a response is that? You usually have some pretty good posts. This one sounds like Im picking on your kid and you are coming to his defense. Lol. I think Im asking a legitimate question here on this chatboard. Old racer has some interesting points.  All I am trying to do is get a conversation going. Matt is not my favorite but I cant deny he is one of the best. But he is not performing as the greatest of all time. 

I forgot to mention that R Johnson started on pole and was leader 58  1/2 laps at  Malta this week so outa three races this week driver who draws pole  or front row has been leader of all but  1 lap at three different tracks ....I would say that's a pattern ? Now either LOL and Weedsport gets graders out or same results coming 

When guys like Mahaney and Perrego are having great weeks, but Sheppards struggles are more of a story, I find it rediculous. My point with JohnyC is that he points this out every single thread, along with Friesen being the class of the field. Sheppard will figure it out. It’s an extremely odd year, with no consistent racing. New suspension configurations lead to numerous changes with shock packages and spring packages. Once again this has also been explained numerous times. The truth is, when he struggles posts are created just to state that fact. It’s from years of having to deal with posts about his dominance. These threads are not meant to educate yourself on set up reasoning, if they were you would have paid attention when this stuff has been talked about numerous other times. It’s to poke at Sheppard’s performance. 

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, old racer said:

I forgot to mention that R Johnson started on pole and was leader 58  1/2 laps at  Malta this week so outa three races this week driver who draws pole  or front row has been leader of all but  1 lap at three different tracks ....I would say that's a pattern ? 

Mahaney 11th to 2nd in that race and 5th to 2nd at Fulton .

3 minutes ago, Gevo`s Rears & Gears said:

Mahaney 11th to 2nd in that race 

Yes did good and having good week and best overall results that  # 35   car has gotten at different tracks  I'd guess in 20 plus years  Sheppard 21st to 9th  at Malta 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, rpm72x said:

When guys like Mahaney and Perrego are having great weeks, but Sheppards struggles are more of a story, I find it rediculous. My point with JohnyC is that he points this out every single thread, along with Friesen being the class of the field. Sheppard will figure it out. It’s an extremely odd year, with no consistent racing. New suspension configurations lead to numerous changes with shock packages and spring packages. Once again this has also been explained numerous times. The truth is, when he struggles posts are created just to state that fact. It’s from years of having to deal with posts about his dominance. These threads are not meant to educate yourself on set up reasoning, if they were you would have paid attention when this stuff has been talked about numerous other times. It’s to poke at Sheppard’s performance. 

I was agreeing with the first few sentences of your post but as I continued to read I would have to disagree with you. You cant have it both ways. I thought he is an RIT grad with an engineering degree? When he was winning that fact was brought up numerous times about how he is much smarter and he can stay ahead of the competition. So now we have new technology and all of a sudden he isnt as smart as he was before? And being as knowledgeable as you are, you should know that when you have a racer of his caliber, people jump on it when his performance drops. Im not busting balls, Im asking a legitimate question about why his performance has dropped. It has nothing to do with me paying attention. You cant deny he is a great driver. If he wins next 2 in a row I will not be surprised. If he starts up front that will be the reason. If he starts further back I will want you to tell me why he won. You know a hell of a lot more about race cars than I do. Lol.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, RJO said:

Right now he is running under DIRTCar rules not Deyo rules. Big difference. 

Yep.  Cause Matt has never won any dirtcar races. 

nor has Matt won the overall SDS title/ Mr Dirtcar championship.  

wtf?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
20 minutes ago, DowntheBackStretch said:

I was agreeing with the first few sentences of your post but as I continued to read I would have to disagree with you. You cant have it both ways. I thought he is an RIT grad with an engineering degree? When he was winning that fact was brought up numerous times about how he is much smarter and he can stay ahead of the competition. So now we have new technology and all of a sudden he isnt as smart as he was before? And being as knowledgeable as you are, you should know that when you have a racer of his caliber, people jump on it when his performance drops. Im not busting balls, Im asking a legitimate question about why his performance has dropped. It has nothing to do with me paying attention. You cant deny he is a great driver. If he wins next 2 in a row I will not be surprised. If he starts up front that will be the reason. If he starts further back I will want you to tell me why he won. You know a hell of a lot more about race cars than I do. Lol.

I can't believe I'm agreeing with rpm's post, but what part of "New suspension configurations lead to numerous changes with shock packages and spring packages." don't you understand??

Everything happens in cycles, and the fact that a good majority of the field is running Bicknell's doesn't help.

If racing was easy, everyone would be doing it.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
34 minutes ago, leroy said:

Yep.  Cause Matt has never won any dirtcar races. 

nor has Matt won the overall SDS title/ Mr Dirtcar championship.  

wtf?

I’m talking about this week Leroy. He has only run one race under DirtCar rules this year so far. Didn’t say anything about before this week.

• Confused 1
13 minutes ago, RJO said:

I’m talking about this week Leroy. He has only run one race under DirtCar rules this year so far. Didn’t say anything about before this week.

He raced a Land of Legends 6 times , with 2 wins . Correct me if i`m wrong , but don`t they use Dirtcar rules ? Orange County also ? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
9 minutes ago, Gevo`s Rears & Gears said:

He raced a Land of Legends 6 times , with 2 wins . Correct me if i`m wrong , but don`t they use Dirtcar rules ? Orange County also ? 

I’m sure you’re right. I forgot about them running. 👍

• Like 1

Some touched on it, he is now on par with everyone else car wise, the others have gotten now to where he was, he got there first and reaped the rewards, now with everything being equal, or close to it, he is no longer in a league of his own. Last night in hotlaps/qualifying 44 was head and shoulders above the rest of the field, but once the track slicked up he became a mere mortal. If you look close you can see where Friesen is getting it done, I will not give it away, but his attention to detail and understanding how to gain speed is impressive, he is also a talented driver, tough combo to beat, the equalizer is a bad draw on a skating rink.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Gevo`s Rears & Gears said:

I think he raced OC 5 times with 2 wins also?   OC is Dirtcar

correction.  Matt raced OC 6 times this season.   6 finishes in top 5.  2 of those finishes were wins

3 hours ago, DowntheBackStretch said:

Just because he has an engineering degree doesn’t mean it’s easy to figure this stuff out. If I had to guess he hung on to the previous combination for as long as possible, being that he was quite good with it. Half of season worth of experience makes a huge difference in knowledge when switching from bars to coils, right side to left, long rods to short. Degrees only give you insight on why and how things work....not how they feel when your in the seat. Driving is so much about the feel a driver is looking for. Not to mention The guys he races against are not dummies. Give them some credit. I’d be willing to bet, once he does get dialed in, his knowledge and prep will put him 1 click ahead of everyone else, like it has for the past 7-10 years. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, racerguy said:

Some touched on it, he is now on par with everyone else car wise, the others have gotten now to where he was, he got there first and reaped the rewards, now with everything being equal, or close to it, he is no longer in a league of his own. Last night in hotlaps/qualifying 44 was head and shoulders above the rest of the field, but once the track slicked up he became a mere mortal. If you look close you can see where Friesen is getting it done, I will not give it away, but his attention to detail and understanding how to gain speed is impressive, he is also a talented driver, tough combo to beat, the equalizer is a bad draw on a skating rink.

It wasn't that the track slicked up last night its that it took rubber. Stew has plenty of wins on a slick track.