Jump to content




Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, FondaFan16 said:

Mike just posted a video on his FB page explaining what happened.  I guess the most surprising thing to me is that according to Mike, the bump stops come stock from the supplier at 3 inches.  They need to be trimmed to fit DIRTcar rules (2.25 inches maximum). 

Clearly an oversight on Mike's part, but in his defense, who would have thought you'd need to modify a part in order for it to be legal.

Obviously the person who complained to tech!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Another stupid rule.....you can stack springs, use spring rubbers, have 2000 dollars worth of shocks on your car....but you can’t have too tall of a bump stop. Another cheap piece of technology that h

Yes , at the scales    , they went to the right rear of the car ,  no , to my knowledge , no other cars were checked and we have a good idea who bitched , but rather not say . Mike was under the assum

Could have checked all the qualified cars following the heats and consis  instead of singling out one car.

15 minutes ago, Scott Friers said:

Could have checked all the qualified cars following the heats and consis  instead of singling out one car.

Once again....there could theoretically be 4 bump stops on each car....measuring each is time consuming....at a point in the night when teams have far better stuff to be doing. It’s a rule that should be checked periodically at local tracks and after a big race. But I’m sure it’s something that goes without notice most weekly nights, along with most of the rulebook. If your only going to pay attention to rules when teams tip you off to it, it’s a rule not worth having. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, racer80 said:

no vendetta....just think their series suck because they cater to the big money guy

I don't think that's true. Not anymore true than Deyo catering to the big money guys. 

Like was said Mike was one of DIRTcar's Platinum drivers. What benefit would they get from this?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Can only imagine it had to be a platinum member or team that they value more to set an example...

Mandee has video of tech not checking the first place car in the heat, but immediately waiting and ready to do it with a phone when the car is on the scale for when Mike rolls up.

Shady way to go about it for sure. Clearly the rule is the rule and I’m good with the penalty being enforced, just think it’s pretty BS how they were targeted.

Even though he didn’t win this week, Mahaney had the best overall car throughout the week and clearly people that are used to beating him didn’t like it.

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, rpm72x said:

Once again....there could theoretically be 4 bump stops on each car....measuring each is time consuming....at a point in the night when teams have far better stuff to be doing. It’s a rule that should be checked periodically at local tracks and after a big race. But I’m sure it’s something that goes without notice most weekly nights, along with most of the rulebook. If your only going to pay attention to rules when teams tip you off to it, it’s a rule not worth having. 

I’m not saying I agree with the rule, but if you look at one car you should look at all. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Scott Friers said:

I’m not saying I agree with the rule, but if you look at one car you should look at all. 

And I’m not saying you shouldn’t look at them all, but I think your underestimating the time it would take to pull all 4 shock covers, possibly have to jack the car up to pull the bump stop up far enough to measure it on 20 or so cars. Not gunna happen after heats....not gunna happen by walking to trailers after. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Check out Mandy's video.  Who ever complained came back before the start of the feature to make sure the piece was removed or altered to meet specifications.  In her video, there is some guy who walks up behind Mike's car and is looking at both sides.  Definitely have to think it's from the complaints pit crew.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

if they didn't check the winner why check him?  Again they could have walked over after hot laps and had a conversation with him i'm sure he would have corrected it then...  

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Outlaw Photos said:

if they didn't check the winner why check him?  Again they could have walked over after hot laps and had a conversation with him i'm sure he would have corrected it then...  

Makes zero sense. At least make it look like you're trying to hide targeting one driver. How hard would it have been for that tech official to do the same thing on all four qualified cars as they went over the scales from each of the five heats. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, rpm72x said:

And I’m not saying you shouldn’t look at them all, but I think your underestimating the time it would take to pull all 4 shock covers, possibly have to jack the car up to pull the bump stop up far enough to measure it on 20 or so cars. Not gunna happen after heats....not gunna happen by walking to trailers after. 

The 5 seconds Mike was on the scales after the heat was enough to DQ his car....

Link to post
Share on other sites

If someone is going to complain about another drivers car enough to cause a penalty.  That complaint should be no different than any other formal complaint and you attach your name to it and the penalty be as stiff as the rule book states as well as applied consistently even thugh it was a simple mistake,  rules are rules.

If the complainer doesn't do that, tech should just give the team the heads up to correct it with no penalty before the next race especially in cases like this where it's a minimal/ simple fix.

You shouldn't have the option to be a "silent protesters". It's either important enough to complain or it's not. If you feel it's not worth a legitimate protest/honest mistake,  tell the team yourself and give them the chance to fix it. If it's still there next race, then file legit.

 

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, WheelsUpHammerDown10 said:

The 5 seconds Mike was on the scales after the heat was enough to DQ his car....

You cannot possibly measure anything on a racecar in 5 seconds. The bumpstop had to be visably taller than the rule states. Once again it’s a stupid rule, but the fact that another team member pointed it out on 1 car prior to the heat made it very easy to look like they targeted him. I can assure you, if any sanctioning body is looking for why someone is running good, and they think someone is cheating.....they are not going to instantly go to the bump stops. I also am in complete agreement that the penalty was bullshit, and he should have been warned and made to fix it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, rpm72x said:

You cannot possibly measure anything on a racecar in 5 seconds. The bumpstop had to be visably taller than the rule states. Once again it’s a stupid rule, but the fact that another team member pointed it out on 1 car prior to the heat made it very easy to look like they targeted him. I can assure you, if any sanctioning body is looking for why someone is running good, and they think someone is cheating.....they are not going to instantly go to the bump stops. I also am in complete agreement that the penalty was bullshit, and he should have been warned and made to fix it. 

I’m curious at what the timeline of events are then because the tech guy only has around 5 seconds or so to go and take the picture with his phone of the car rolling over the scales. Perhaps he took the picture and then they measured it after the fact once they saw the photo and thought it was too tall?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Here’s my take on this from being a tech inspector before. Your job is to create a level playing field so the competitors know that they are on an equal footing as the other racers they are racing against. I call what was done chicken shit on the inspectors part if he knew before the race happened! Which if that’s the only car he checked it seems like that was the case. If you let a car that’s illegal out on the track he’s just as much fault. Part of being an inspector is walking around the pits and looking at cars before the race. I’ve pointed out things like guys running aluminum instead of lexan spoilers. Which is a Safety factor because it limits the driver followings vision up ahead. It’s sad:( What about all the sportsman running around with shocks without stickers and illegal parts inside? When is the last time you saw them take apart a sportsman shock which is supposed to have spec parts in it. I’m not saying Dirt isnt good for racing but it could do more to make sure the playing field is level for everyone.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Once again....from what I was told(have no idea if it’s true).....another team member tipped off tech as the car headed out for the heat. The tech guy cannot call the car in before the green for an accusation, but certainly will be looking at that car and that part after the heat. Sounded to me like the other crew guy deliberately put Mike in a situation where he would get penalized and couldn’t do a thing about it once on the racetrack. IF this is the case, the tech guy got put in a difficult situation as well. Nobody probably knows when tech was tipped off of this. If it was early in the night.....shame on the inspector for not talking to mike about it prior to any racing. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Mike definitely got ratted out by a fellow competitor.

On the other hand I have seen in the past where an inspector has seen an illegal part on a car, not said anything about it at the time, and kept it in their hip pocket until when it counted, like on a championship/last points night, then dropped the hammer. Equally dirty.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/13/2020 at 10:18 AM, Outlaw Photos said:

if they didn't check the winner why check him?  Again they could have walked over after hot laps and had a conversation with him i'm sure he would have corrected it then...  

Guys it may have been an official protest initiated by another team, that would totally explain why they checked nobody else.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, rpm72x said:

Once again....from what I was told(have no idea if it’s true).....another team member tipped off tech as the car headed out for the heat. The tech guy cannot call the car in before the green for an accusation, but certainly will be looking at that car and that part after the heat. Sounded to me like the other crew guy deliberately put Mike in a situation where he would get penalized and couldn’t do a thing about it once on the racetrack. IF this is the case, the tech guy got put in a difficult situation as well. Nobody probably knows when tech was tipped off of this. If it was early in the night.....shame on the inspector for not talking to mike about it prior to any racing. 

Back stabbing , screwing people over , trying to ruin people is now big sport ( watch news ) and is now part of dirt racing today ......#35 team has come a long ways and I guess some people whether its driver or girl friend  dislike IDK but this BS is unfortunately big part of life today ....Whole deal was and is stupid DIRT should treat long time car owner with more class than this ...If they  had issue with this subject they could have brought this up at drivers meeting prior to any racing  that day or during prior racing that week  Why embarrass car owner who has spent a fortune over the past 30 years contributing  to sport ?  This was not handled well and someone should have ass chewed out And i hope this team owner doesn't throw in towel over small peoples actions .....I'd like to thank him for fielding cars over the years and putting show on for fans in Northeast .....

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, old racer said:

Back stabbing , screwing people over , trying to ruin people is now big sport ( watch news ) and is now part of dirt racing today ......#35 team has come a long ways and I guess some people whether its driver or girl friend  dislike IDK but this BS is unfortunately big part of life today ....Whole deal was and is stupid DIRT should treat long time car owner with more class than this ...If they  had issue with this subject they could have brought this up at drivers meeting prior to any racing  that day or during prior racing that week  Why embarrass car owner who has spent a fortune over the past 30 years contributing  to sport ?  This was not handled well and someone should have ass chewed out And i hope this team owner doesn't throw in towel over small peoples actions .....I'd like to thank him for fielding cars over the years and putting show on for fans in Northeast .....

I agree.....Dirtcar tech has been biased for years in my opinion

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, racerguy said:

Guys it may have been an official protest initiated by another team, that would totally explain why they checked nobody else.  

than it should have been brought up that way...  for the record it wasn't... Watch Mandee's video...  it was done dirty...

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, racerguy said:

Guys it may have been an official protest initiated by another team, that would totally explain why they checked nobody else.  

If it was an official protest there would be a paper trail I would think.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.
















×
×
  • Create New...