$53,000 On The Line Tonight In Short Track Super Series Speed Showcase 200 Live On DTD Tv!

16 minutes ago, WheelsUpHammerDown10 said:

Not even close.

I wondered about that. When this race was announced, i thought some posters on here were overly optimistic about how much of a home run a big Modified race in central PA would be. History has shown that Mod races at the central PA Sprint car tracks are usually lukewarm attendance wise.

There was a post on Hoseheads after the Thursday night show saying there were more cars than fans in the stands and that Mod racing is not very popular. I knew that was an exaggeration, bu I wondered how much better the crowd would be for Saturday.

Moving Super DIRT Week to one of the central PA Sprint Car tracks always seemed like it would have been a silly premise, IMO.

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, westracing01 said:

Now that I'm home, some more thoughts on the overall program...

Again, kudos to the track prep crew for getting the place in line to how they wanted it. They said that where the modified heats ended on Friday is about where they wanted the track when the night began and they were pretty close. 

I talked with someone in the pits on Friday and he was saying how he'd like some barriers removed so the cars could pit coming off T4. That's foolish for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is the track is NOT setup for what we would think of as traditional "live" pitstops, nor should it be. They're not going to move walls and dig out the pit entry off T4 to build a real pit road, at least they shouldn't, not for one race a year. Besides the fact that slowing to enter the pits off T4 is horrendously dangerous because it's in the middle of the low line groove. Before anyone says it, when we were at the Mile the pit entry was really on the S/F straight. It'd have been like having the entry to the cinder track right in the middle of the corner. With that said, I told the gentleman to go and tell his ideas to the promoter. They're open to new ideas and anything to make the show better. 

On the subject of pits, that was a mess and it shouldn't have been. That's not the tracks fault, that's Deyo's. The track is not configured to run with a live pit road and there's no need for it because no series that goes there does them. The fact they allowed it at all was asinine and completely against any idea of trying to run a safe show for the 99% volunteer crews in the pits. It was nonsense and that's on Deyo for letting it happen. To this point, Friessen and others (but I noticed Stew's stood out to me), in my opinion, should have been penalized for that completely ridiculous pit exit at what looked like just shy of Warp 4 with other cars sitting there and crews working on them. That was needless and dangerous and goes back to the point of live stops should not have been allowed. The actual pit road is one car width of asphalt. It's a staging lane for sprint car time trials... Amazing since it's a sprint car track... Duh. That's what it was built for. It was never meant to do what was forced on it last night.

The actual pit size and capacity will be addressed. Whether or not they'll ever need it is a matter of debate and this race was never intended to be there in the first place. 

The crowd was a solid "Meh." Even with the cancellation of all fan attendance in NY, the mods drews well from the North and virtually nothing from the locals. Mods in Sprint Car country are a tough sell. I personally doubt this race comes back (I know the STSS is coming back, but I mean the 200 for the big payday) due to this fact. I've been wrong before though and I would love to see another long distance mod show there. 

I obviously love Port Royal and I REALLY enjoyed the mods there. I like the fast tracks and I was shocked at the 100+mph average speeds. The boys (and girl) were really hauling the mail around that place and the racing was very good. Anyone who said, "The mods can't run that top line like the sprints and late models can" should watch the video of the race. Multiple cars right up against the guardrails and letting it rip. 

Lastly, for now anyway, 3 DAY PIT PASSES at least. That line was a joke and could have easily been solved with one person in the window at 10AM and one security guard. Let us buy a 3 Day pass and alleviate that but of silliness. Same goes for G/A grandstand seats. No reason to not do that.

All in all, I know of no one who was displeased with the facility. Port Royal is making a serious bid to be one of, if not THE, premier tracks in the NE and it shows. Overall a great job and some minor tweaks to make it even better. 

Things I know are happening... More seats, more suites, a trinitron video board, more electric/water hookups in the campgrounds and bigger pits are all on the To Do list. 

48 minutes ago, westracing01 said:

Again, kudos to the track prep crew for getting the place in line to how they wanted it. They said that where the modified heats ended on Friday is about where they wanted the track when the night began and they were pretty close. 

I talked with someone in the pits on Friday and he was saying how he'd like some barriers removed so the cars could pit coming off T4. That's foolish for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is the track is NOT setup for what we would think of as traditional "live" pitstops, nor should it be. They're not going to move walls and dig out the pit entry off T4 to build a real pit road, at least they shouldn't, not for one race a year. Besides the fact that slowing to enter the pits off T4 is horrendously dangerous because it's in the middle of the low line groove. Before anyone says it, when we were at the Mile the pit entry was really on the S/F straight. It'd have been like having the entry to the cinder track right in the middle of the corner. With that said, I told the gentleman to go and tell his ideas to the promoter. They're open to new ideas and anything to make the show better. 

On the subject of pits, that was a mess and it shouldn't have been. That's not the tracks fault, that's Deyo's. The track is not configured to run with a live pit road and there's no need for it because no series that goes there does them. The fact they allowed it at all was asinine and completely against any idea of trying to run a safe show for the 99% volunteer crews in the pits. It was nonsense and that's on Deyo for letting it happen. To this point, Friessen and others (but I noticed Stew's stood out to me), in my opinion, should have been penalized for that completely ridiculous pit exit at what looked like just shy of Warp 4 with other cars sitting there and crews working on them. That was needless and dangerous and goes back to the point of live stops should not have been allowed. The actual pit road is one car width of asphalt. It's a staging lane for sprint car time trials... Amazing since it's a sprint car track... Duh. That's what it was built for. It was never meant to do what was forced on it last night.

The actual pit size and capacity will be addressed. Whether or not they'll ever need it is a matter of debate and this race was never intended to be there in the first place. 

The crowd was a solid "Meh." Even with the cancellation of all fan attendance in NY, the mods drews well from the North and virtually nothing from the locals. Mods in Sprint Car country are a tough sell. I personally doubt this race comes back (I know the STSS is coming back, but I mean the 200 for the big payday) due to this fact. I've been wrong before though and I would love to see another long distance mod show there. 

I obviously love Port Royal and I REALLY enjoyed the mods there. I like the fast tracks and I was shocked at the 100+mph average speeds. The boys (and girl) were really hauling the mail around that place and the racing was very good. Anyone who said, "The mods can't run that top line like the sprints and late models can" should watch the video of the race. Multiple cars right up against the guardrails and letting it rip. 

Lastly, for now anyway, 3 DAY PIT PASSES at least. That line was a joke and could have easily been solved with one person in the window at 10AM and one security guard. Let us buy a 3 Day pass and alleviate that but of silliness. Same goes for G/A grandstand seats. No reason to not do that.

All in all, I know of no one who was displeased with the facility. Port Royal is making a serious bid to be one of, if not THE, premier tracks in the NE and it shows. Overall a great job and some minor tweaks to make it even better. 

Things I know are happening... More seats, more suites, a trinitron video board, more electric/water hookups in the campgrounds and bigger pits are all on the To Do list. 

Half those people didn't need to be on pit rd either.  We knew right away it was going to be a mess getting to our spot. I think they'll figure something out before next yr. Maybe put all of the trucks and 4 wheelers in where the 4 cylinders pitted Sat night and only let 4 guys at a time over the jersey barrier. Idk. 

54 minutes ago, westracing01 said:

Again, kudos to the track prep crew for getting the place in line to how they wanted it. They said that whehire the modified heats ended on Friday is about where they wanted the track when the night began and they were pretty close. 

• Like 1

Did not go to thursday  or friday. But video  does show the crowd looking sparse.

Saturday I went and the grandstands looked pretty full all around me.  And in both directions.    Standing room full like the big sprint shows?  NO.    Not going to happen in PA

But a lot of people just the same .     One. You have to  figure the grandstand is massive.   Especially with the new stand in four towering twice as high as the already large front stretch.  The infield available as well.  Some people do like it there,    Just not for me

Two. It got down to the 30's temp wise.    Part of the reason I only went for the one day

Three.    The event got announced late in season.  No time for people to plan time off, money,  other, etc. 

A thing  that possibly might have kept some home? At least one other big event leaving fans in limbo land.  The World Finals .Still not letting anyone know wtf is going on.  How do you make plans?  Money wise and time wise

• Like 2

I saw some of Mandee Pauch’s vlog on YouTube and it looked like a couple thousand people, which isn’t bad for a mod race in Central pa but not sustainable for a big show. 

• Like 1
58 minutes ago, WheelsUpHammerDown10 said:

I just don’t see how the world finals, at least the modified portion happens with trying to find 24 teams that will be able to deal with the NY quarantine rules coming back from NC.

From the fans side .Some people who have tickets would still go. Modifieds or not.  They just can not get any answers whether or not they can get in and sit.  Talked to people about this in the lot on Saturday.   One guy said  he is cancelling his room Monday/today.  Another waiting till last minute 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, leroy said:

From the fans side .Some people who have tickets would still go. Modifieds or not.  They just can not get any answers whether or not they can get in and sit.  Talked to people about this in the lot on Saturday.   One guy said  he is cancelling his room Monday/today.  Another waiting till last minute 

Great points. What are we? Less than 3 weeks away from the schedule weekend right?

Not making any excuses because I did think the crowd support would be a little bit better, but one thing to keep in mind is that Fonda seats approximately 5,000 people.  Port Royal's capacity is 8,000.

So a jam packed, standing room only crowd at Fonda would still leave about 3,000 empty seats at Port Royal... 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I think there was a lot more people there than it looked like, that’s a huge grandstand area. You’re not gonna sell out a modified race in sprint car country, especially running against Grandview.

Just now, Hot Dog said:

I think there was a lot more people there than it looked like, that’s a huge grandstand area. You’re not gonna sell out a modified race in sprint car country, especially running against Grandview.

Dylan Friebel posted some pictures of the crowd. It was def more than half full Sat night. I know people that went in the infield all night just to move around and stay warm. 

• Like 1