Great race tonight. Lots of passing and multiple grooves. Mat Williamson pulled off another big race win over Friesen and Sheppard 

• Like 3
  • Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

is not that what the SDS and STTS is?    Besides who gets to decide which teams are 'professional'?   or not?? And as a track owner, are you going to tell Sheppard,  Friesen or whomever they

People who play the money card don’t understand how this stuff works anymore. Nearly every car in attendance these days has the best equipment you can get. The only difference is the teams with more m

I disagree. You’re only as good as the people you race with. The only way to improve your program and get on those guys level is to race with them and beat them. The best thing that ever happened to m

3 minutes ago, Rmitchell said:

Great race tonight. Lots of passing and multiple grooves. Mat Williamson pulled off another big race win over Friesen and Sheppard 

Money makes money ......Bicknell house car $53,000 tonite ......Rocket house car  $100,000  (Sheppard ) Lucas Oil  tonite .....

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
6 minutes ago, rpm72x said:

That team has no more funding than the rest of the top 5. Great team effort and drive by Mat.

Give the numbers what each has .....since you appear to know top five financials what are they  ?  What's is   budget for each team in top five ? And agree it was great drive and changing front shocks at half seemed to help on #3.....I didn't notice others doing that but I remember Williamson saying he has been working with shock manufactures that his  father sells at Bicknell and this was new car from Bicknell factory  got the job done no doubt .....I expect same results next week at ESW  same top 3 but possibly diff order 

• Confused 1
4 hours ago, old racer said:

Give the numbers what each has .....since you appear to know top five financials what are they  ?  What's is   budget for each team in top five ? And agree it was great drive and changing front shocks at half seemed to help on #3.....I didn't notice others doing that but I remember Williamson saying he has been working with shock manufactures that his  father sells at Bicknell and this was new car from Bicknell factory  got the job done no doubt .....I expect same results next week at ESW  same top 3 but possibly diff order 

Do you think they have more funding than Halmar? Gypsum? And what exactly do you believe “extra” funding gets you. The top 5 All have brand new bicknells when they want them. Whatever shocks they desire....some were on Penske, some were on integras. Billy the kid power, clements power, LJL Kevlar or CC Performance engines.....quite the toss up. They are all fantastic engines, all win big races, all cost a lot of money. None of the top 5 are on tire budgets. So idk what numbers your looking for, if any one of those teams feel they need something, they call and order it, so I guess there is no budget for any of them. But......being that the Behrents 3 team races a limited schedule, especially this year, I’d say the other 4 had an advantage in that regard. Yet they won. It was the first stss win for the team and they have raced a lot of them. This claim that the “super team” beat all the back yard teams is stupid. Obviously you have no idea what all of the top teams have, which is whatever the hell they want. 

People who play the money card don’t understand how this stuff works anymore. Nearly every car in attendance these days has the best equipment you can get. The only difference is the teams with more money have more of the aforementioned good equipment. My family has about as low buck operation as you can get. Everything we have is the best you can buy. We don’t race as much as the big dogs do, but you can bet that when we do, our equipment is on the level with anyone else. Most teams are in the same situation as we are.

• Like 4
54 minutes ago, Hot Dog said:

People who play the money card don’t understand how this stuff works anymore. Nearly every car in attendance these days has the best equipment you can get. The only difference is the teams with more money have more of the aforementioned good equipment. My family has about as low buck operation as you can get. Everything we have is the best you can buy. We don’t race as much as the big dogs do, but you can bet that when we do, our equipment is on the level with anyone else. Most teams are in the same situation as we are.

Exactly.....guys like old racer think because Matt Sheppard doesn’t use a stacker, he’s low budget. Or because mats dad owns bicknell that he gets more cars than stew. They all have awesome stuff. At a show like that almost every car has top notch equipment, the huge teams have enough money to continue to keep stuff fresh, replace more often and most importantly race a lot. Not 1 car in the top 5 last night thought they were “outspent” by a super team. If anyone believes that they don’t know shit about racing. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, rpm72x said:

Do you think they have more funding than Halmar? Gypsum? And what exactly do you believe “extra” funding gets you. The top 5 All have brand new bicknells when they want them. Whatever shocks they desire....some were on Penske, some were on integras. Billy the kid power, clements power, LJL Kevlar or CC Performance engines.....quite the toss up. They are all fantastic engines, all win big races, all cost a lot of money. None of the top 5 are on tire budgets. So idk what numbers your looking for, if any one of those teams feel they need something, they call and order it, so I guess there is no budget for any of them. But......being that the Behrents 3 team races a limited schedule, especially this year, I’d say the other 4 had an advantage in that regard. Yet they won. It was the first stss win for the team and they have raced a lot of them. This claim that the “super team” beat all the back yard teams is stupid. Obviously you have no idea what all of the top teams have, which is whatever the hell they want. 

I know what top teams did not have last nite was a set up that matched Behrent's and Behrents grossed more revenue per races run ( which means gross revenue divided by races run )  in 2019 and 2020 so far than any other team .... Smart people let Williamson learn hot set up on someone else 's dollar and bring it to team when money is to be made with fresh horse  I don''t care what any team has if they don't have rite set up   ( and Williamson does on slick )  your packing track for others ....Which is good if that's your thing , To each his own.....IF ESW is slick #6 will be up front in 358 and #3 in BB I would guess .....

16 minutes ago, old racer said:

I know what top teams did not have last nite was a set up that matched Behrent's and Behrents grossed more revenue per races run ( which means gross revenue divided by races run )  in 2019 and 2020 so far than any other team .... Smart people let Williamson learn hot set up on someone else 's dollar and bring it to team when money is to be made with fresh horse  I don''t care what any team has if they don't have rite set up   ( and Williamson does on slick )  your packing track for others ....Which is good if that's your thing , To each his own.....IF ESW is slick #6 will be up front in 358 and #3 in BB I would guess .....

Whose fault is that? Behrents or Mat Williamson? There is zero reason Matt Sheppard or Stew Friesen should be beat by either the 3 or the 88 team. Go do your homework. Teams have been cherry picking the hot drivers since the beginning of teams. That’s the point.  The team/driver are doing the work and getting the results. What the hell does revenue from races run have to do with anything. They won 2 big shows, that happened to pay huge purses. Many teams have gone on runs and won a few big shows back to back or in this case stretched over 2 years. 

2 hours ago, Hot Dog said:

I’m asking this with all due respect; if everything you have is the best you can buy are you really claiming that you are as low buck an operation as you can get? I think I’m missing something here. 

I value insight from racers and/or team members on this forum so I’d love to hear more. 

As for the money up front, I agree; it’s not so much a budget per say, it just seems limitless. If they need it they acquire it. It has nothing to do with purses either. This isn’t about winning to finance better programs, these top guys have the money behind them that results won’t drastically alter their spend 

• Like 1

My opinion is this.....Behrents, Bicknell, Gypsum (LJL)....They charge enormous prices to the Saturday nite racer all year long for Race cars & racing equipment & then swoop in just as soon as a couple of decent paying races come up & take all the money & leave the crumbs for the little guy....really sucks for the racer

44 minutes ago, JohnyC said:

I’m asking this with all due respect; if everything you have is the best you can buy are you really claiming that you are as low buck an operation as you can get? I think I’m missing something here. 

I value insight from racers and/or team members on this forum so I’d love to hear more. 

As for the money up front, I agree; it’s not so much a budget per say, it just seems limitless. If they need it they acquire it. It has nothing to do with purses either. This isn’t about winning to finance better programs, these top guys have the money behind them that results won’t drastically alter their spend 

Yes. Even the low buck local once a week guys have the very same stuff that’s on the cars that win the biggest races. The only thing money buys is the ability to race more often, build a bigger notebook by racing more often, have the driver read a track and line changes better by racing more often. We all have the same equipment. Big buck or low buck doesn’t apply to the quality of equipment, it’s just the quantity of equipment. And there’s plenty of guys with 3x the budget of the low buck guys that don’t run half as well. Money can’t buy speed

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Hot Dog said:

Yes. Even the low buck local once a week guys have the very same stuff that’s on the cars that win the biggest races. The only thing money buys is the ability to race more often, build a bigger notebook by racing more often, have the driver read a track and line changes better by racing more often. We all have the same equipment. Big buck or low buck doesn’t apply to the quality of equipment, it’s just the quantity of equipment. And there’s plenty of guys with 3x the budget of the low buck guys that don’t run half as well. Money can’t buy speed

Well I guess this would explain why so few graduate to the top level. If everyone has the very same stuff - top of the line as you said - you would be looking at a hundred plus thousand just to get a car on the track. Super expensive sport for sure. 

42 minutes ago, racer80 said:

My opinion is this.....Behrents, Bicknell, Gypsum (LJL)....They charge enormous prices to the Saturday nite racer all year long for Race cars & racing equipment & then swoop in just as soon as a couple of decent paying races come up & take all the money & leave the crumbs for the little guy....really sucks for the racer

What are you suggesting they do? Not race? If guys felt it wasn’t fair, wouldn’t they buy elsewhere and not support the businesses that you feel are being unfair?

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, JohnyC said:

Well I guess this would explain why so few graduate to the top level. If everyone has the very same stuff - top of the line as you said - you would be looking at a hundred plus thousand just to get a car on the track. Super expensive sport for sure. 

Racing isn’t cheap if you want to be competitive, no matter the discipline you choose. You either sacrifice and spend everything you can to keep up with the evolution of technology or you get left in the dust.

The issue at hand is not shows like this past weekend.....large, well funded teams belong and are expected at this type of race. The issue comes in on weekly Saturday night racing. Those huge teams have cherry picked and ruined weekend racing. They don’t belong there. 

• Like 1

I disagree. You’re only as good as the people you race with. The only way to improve your program and get on those guys level is to race with them and beat them. The best thing that ever happened to modified racing in western pa is when Smoker came down and raced with us. Some guys hated it and fell by the wayside, while others embraced it and got better and our area got much stronger as a whole. Same thing happened with Weaver a few years back, Williamson after that and right now it happens with Rudolph

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Hot Dog said:

I disagree. You’re only as good as the people you race with. The only way to improve your program and get on those guys level is to race with them and beat them. The best thing that ever happened to modified racing in western pa is when Smoker came down and raced with us. Some guys hated it and fell by the wayside, while others embraced it and got better and our area got much stronger as a whole. Same thing happened with Weaver a few years back, Williamson after that and right now it happens with Rudolph

With racing being as expensive as it already is, weekly purses being as shitty as they are, finishing 10th weekly and not being able to spend what is needed to compete has driven people out or down in classes. It sounds fun to “be as good as who you race against” and unfortunately money does buy speed. The fact is the gap between the haves and have nots is wide and hard to bridge the gap. There was a time when guys like Alan fielded their own weekend program and drove for big teams at big money shows, now those big teams dominate weekly racing. It’s not good for the sport. I mean no disrespect but having one guy come to western PA and dominate is different than if 10-15 came weekly. The number of guys who dislike it would grow exponentially. If that mindset was accurate there wouldn’t constantly be one of those teams that wins every time they head to western PA. 

4 minutes ago, rpm72x said:

With racing being as expensive as it already is, weekly purses being as shitty as they are, finishing 10th weekly and not being able to spend what is needed to compete has driven people out or down in classes. It sounds fun to “be as good as who you race against” and unfortunately money does buy speed. The fact is the gap between the haves and have nots is wide and hard to bridge the gap. There was a time when guys like Alan fielded their own weekend program and drove for big teams at big money shows, now those big teams dominate weekly racing. It’s not good for the sport. I mean no disrespect but having one guy come to western PA and dominate is different than if 10-15 came weekly. The number of guys who dislike it would grow exponentially. 

So the answer is for well funded cars to go away so that the broke guys have a chance? 

11 hours ago, old racer said:

I can answer this. The top 5 teams:

1. Williamson - Too much
  2. Shepard - Too much
  3. Stewie - Too much
  4. Larry -Too much
  5. That kid in the 4 cylinder class at Malta - Too much

I hope that clear things up for all of you.

• Like 3

Over the years I’ve seen an awful lot of guys who spend ridiculous money on their program and only run 6th-9th every single race. Good equipment alone doesn’t buy wins. But lack of good equipment can certainly hold you back. 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, ChrisAkulis said:

Over the years I’ve seen an awful lot of guys who spend ridiculous money on their program and only run 6th-9th every single race. Good equipment alone doesn’t buy wins. But lack of good equipment can certainly hold you back. 

Actually last 2 weeks racing has been great with several different winners in all divisions .....Pauch Jr had scary ride   Saturday