What is the combo of choice that teams like to run in that series.  I saw the different size motors listed for the 200,  just curious if it is a 360, 370, 400 (small blocks) or the aluminum big block?  I’m not up to speed on the STSS rules as opposed to dirtcar.  

From what I've taken from most the guys in the know on here is the 400.

That's going to be a hard questions to answer, because you could switch cars without penalty, so, there were quite a few guys that qualified one car and then ran another in the 200. There were a whole bunch of engine issues Thursday and Friday with the big small blocks, so, I know quite a few guys switched to big blocks for the 200 as multiple guys told me they didn't think the big small blocks able to last 200 laps revving that high. As far as I know, though, with the track slowing down quite a bit for the 200, I don't think there was a single engine failure in the 200. 

43 minutes ago, KB19 said:

That's going to be a hard questions to answer, because you could switch cars without penalty, so, there were quite a few guys that qualified one car and then ran another in the 200. There were a whole bunch of engine issues Thursday and Friday with the big small blocks, so, I know quite a few guys switched to big blocks for the 200 as multiple guys told me they didn't think the big small blocks able to last 200 laps revving that high. As far as I know, though, with the track slowing down quite a bit for the 200, I don't think there was a single engine failure in the 200. 

Really doesn’t make it fair for the guys that only have one car to switch cars without penalty to help better themselves.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, RJO said:

Really doesn’t make it fair for the guys that only have one car to switch cars without penalty to help better themselves.

This idea that the SSTS was designed to be fair was some grade A marketing for something  that was never the case.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, RJO said:

You mean it's not a series for the working man? Or the little guy? Isn't that why folks on here used to say it was so much better than the SDS? 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, RJO said:

It's the working man's series. Not much different than the SDS.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, RJO said:

Last I was told, all those that cannot afford multiple cars and engines should be running sportsman. 

• Haha 2
11 hours ago, frank rizzo said:

It's the working man's series. Not much different than the SDS.

Most if not all of the drivers and teams who race the SDS and the STSS work.  

There certainly are some differences between the two series.  If  some of the differences were not clear before 2020.  They certainly have to be now?

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, leroy said:

Most if not all of the drivers and teams who race the SDS and the STSS work.  

There certainly are some differences between the two series.  If  some of the differences were not clear before 2020.  They certainly have to be now?

Biggest difference is STSS has a lot more passing ☺

• Like 3
7 hours ago, racermurray said:

Biggest difference is STSS has a lot more passing ☺

Well yeah, but tha'ts only because STSS races on tracks that actually have good racing surfaces.

• Like 1
21 hours ago, macho said:

You mean it's not a series for the working man? Or the little guy? Isn't that why folks on here used to say it was so much better than the SDS? 

Yes, it is an unlikely pairing, but the Short Track Super Series (STSS) Fueled By Hi-Tek – a series aimed at weekend warriors, not high-budget teams – wraps up its 2015 Bob Hilbert Sportswear North Region this weekend, Friday-Saturday October 9-10, at I-88 Speedway with the eighth running of the Halmar International Short Track SuperNationals presented by Olum’s.

Dubbed the “Working Man’s Race” when it was created by Brett Deyo in 2006, then with Afton Speedway promoters Pat and Janet Jordan, the Short Track SuperNationals was designed to provide Friday, Saturday and Sunday night racers with an affordable option to the Columbus Day weekend festivities at the New York State Fairgrounds during Super DIRT Week.

Wasn't Harpel's RoC series originally called the working man's series?

The way Brett promotes it was never going to stay just for the weekend guys. Actually at no point was it ever just for the weekend racers. The big guys jumped on right from the start. They came in bunches from Syracuse as soon as they were done at the mile to race at Afton.

I wouldn't even call it a competing tour with SDS either because you get a lot of the same guys running for both title. Hell last year I really thought Matt was going to walk away with all the Championship money. 

And actually when Brett allowed the big small block motor he basically shut the door on a lot of weekend racers who just run open small blocks or big blocks. Because as soon as he did you had the big guys all start ordering them. At least on the SDS everyone is basically running the same engine. Some with more laps then others but it's much closer to an even field. The different weight breaks on the STSS really don't give others much of a chance like it's supposed to. 

6 hours ago, Jack Brady said:

The way Brett promotes it was never going to stay just for the weekend guys. Actually at no point was it ever just for the weekend racers. The big guys jumped on right from the start. They came in bunches from Syracuse as soon as they were done at the mile to race at Afton.

I wouldn't even call it a competing tour with SDS either because you get a lot of the same guys running for both title. Hell last year I really thought Matt was going to walk away with all the Championship money. 

And actually when Brett allowed the big small block motor he basically shut the door on a lot of weekend racers who just run open small blocks or big blocks. Because as soon as he did you had the big guys all start ordering them. At least on the SDS everyone is basically running the same engine. Some with more laps then others but it's much closer to an even field. The different weight breaks on the STSS really don't give others much of a chance like it's supposed to. 

Track prep today decides what combo works If track has good bite BB will prob win on good sized track  If track is ice winner will take 150 lb or more weight break and go with less power  Now if you have 1 car trailer with 1 type combo your at disadvantage or if you have inside info for what track will be you have better idea of what to bring or not even go because you know you are at disadvantage No one knows who's going to have bad luck and fall out but average guy knows he can't compete to win ....I'd say big teams have BB and 360 and make choice based on what they see when they get to track at Deyo races and maybe DIRT .....Last nite 360 heats were faster than BB at OC which is a big track and SF nearly won last week with tired 360 at PR ....Years ago you didn't get over 50 lb weight break on DIRT so BB did alot of winning .......At SB/BB at Devils Bowl this year ($10k to win ) they had both style heats then you were allowed to choose if you had both Williamson and others went with SB and won both $10K to win races this year with 360 motor and weight break rules......With good track both races prob would have been won with BB based on lap times from 2019 when BB won on better track .....1.5 seconds faster track or more in 2019 ....So track owner decided he wanted to favor SB set up and that's what you got ....

• Thanks 1

Getcha a 360 or bigger and good knowledge with the spring smasher and AR's and you'll compete anywhere with STSS. I'd like to see a breakdown but it sounds like everything from a 360 to a big big block and everything in between has won this yr. 

• Like 1