I thought that was the single most dangerous pit road in modified racing. Everyone on top of each other, no protection from cars and putting fuel into race cars using a 5-gallon pail and a funnel was a recipe for a horrible disaster. Port Royal is NOT that place to host a 200 when they have no way to protect people like middletown. Why is it that the series (sds,stss) do not make the crew members wear protective clothing ? People with shorts on t shirts. 

The surface was superb to anything I have ever seen in NY. I also thought the speeds were on par with something like Syracuse, Rolling Wheels.  I thought everything with the production of the event was 900% positive and this should be voted the show of the year anywhere in modified racing. 

Congrats to the Behrents team. 

The last few years at Syracuse they started implementing more safety rules on pit road. Helmets and I think at least the gas man had to have fire retardant gear on. 

Not really sure what ever happen to that.

21 minutes ago, premiumdiesel said:

I thought that was the single most dangerous pit road in modified racing. Everyone on top of each other, no protection from cars and putting fuel into race cars using a 5-gallon pail and a funnel was a recipe for a horrible disaster. Port Royal is NOT that place to host a 200 when they have no way to protect people like middletown. Why is it that the series (sds,stss) do not make the crew members wear protective clothing ? People with shorts on t shirts. 

The surface was superb to anything I have ever seen in NY. I also thought the speeds were on par with something like Syracuse, Rolling Wheels.  I thought everything with the production of the event was 900% positive and this should be voted the show of the year anywhere in modified racing. 

Congrats to the Behrents team. 

Too many dam people. I'm not even joking that there were people sitting in chairs where the cars were pitting. If you're not involved you don't need to be there.  I think weather its moving the barriers or whatever next yr will be better and safer. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, leroy said:

No need for the hot pit nonsense that went on.  The race had a break at 100,

Fulton gets by fine

How bout if its not flat you can't change it and no fuel unless its at the break? 

• Like 3
20 minutes ago, robracer said:

How bout if its not flat you can't change it and no fuel unless its at the break? 

I do not race. But as a fan I am all for that.   👍

With what goes on now. One team comes in to change tires. And gets two' three laps without penalty to do it.  Then another sees this and comes in. So now that team gets the same courtesy.  So that two-three laps becomes four-five.  IF yet another team does not come in while the last is still there.  It is endless BS.  And some of this gets going just because a driver stops on the track.  Or as in another case Saturday.  A driver spun his car out so he could catch the field that had gone by.   Nuts

Been to Outlaw this year three times. And they are  doing the hot pit thing weekly it seems.  But usually a car actually does have a flat tire.  Or some sort of damage. 

Bingo. The problem wasn't the hot pit. THERE WASN'T SUPPOSED TO BE A HOT PIT. At least not in the traditional sense of Middletown or the Mile. Port isn't setup for that. I said in the other post, there is absolutely NO need to change the way the pit is situated. Port is a Sprint Car track. They shouldn't have to redo a damn thing on the pit road for one night a year. It works just fine for the sprint cars and Late Models. 

The problem is that the officials (Deyo) ALLOWED the teams to pit as if it were a live pit road. No fuel, no tires unless it's flat until the break. The whole point of a 10 minute window is so that it's safer. You don't have to hustle and risk mistakes that can get people hurt. I missed the drivers meeting, but if Deyo told the crews they could do live stops then shame on him. We all talked about it in multiple places on here when we thought SDW was going there that Port was not setup to run live stops. If the keyboard jockey's knew it was a bad idea, the promoter of the race sure should have too. 

If anything, I'd say maybe spread everyone out a little more but that's difficult as the safety trucks park there in T4.

But building new walls and/or a wider pit road just to accommodate one race a year (potentially) makes absolutely no sense. 

Are we really complaining about having a "Hot Pit" during a 200 lap race?  

You realize that there is a "Hot Pit" available during all races, at pretty much all tracks right?  You can pit anytime you want at Fonda, as long as you use the designated area you can come back into the race.  

People just don't use it because the race is only 30 laps and unless your name is Stewart Friesen you're unlikely to get yourself back to the front... But it IS available to use... 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, FondaFan16 said:

Are we really complaining about having a "Hot Pit" during a 200 lap race?  

You realize that there is a "Hot Pit" available during all races, at pretty much all tracks right?  You can pit anytime you want at Fonda, as long as you use the designated area you can come back into the race.  

People just don't use it because the race is only 30 laps and unless your name is Stewart Friesen you're unlikely to get yourself back to the front... But it IS available to use... 

I don't think anyone has a problem with a hot pit if it's safe. Well, safer than Sat was.

1 hour ago, westracing01 said:

Bingo. The problem wasn't the hot pit. THERE WASN'T SUPPOSED TO BE A HOT PIT. At least not in the traditional sense of Middletown or the Mile. Port isn't setup for that. I said in the other post, there is absolutely NO need to change the way the pit is situated. Port is a Sprint Car track. They shouldn't have to redo a damn thing on the pit road for one night a year. It works just fine for the sprint cars and Late Models. 

The problem is that the officials (Deyo) ALLOWED the teams to pit as if it were a live pit road. No fuel, no tires unless it's flat until the break. The whole point of a 10 minute window is so that it's safer. You don't have to hustle and risk mistakes that can get people hurt. I missed the drivers meeting, but if Deyo told the crews they could do live stops then shame on him. We all talked about it in multiple places on here when we thought SDW was going there that Port was not setup to run live stops. If the keyboard jockey's knew it was a bad idea, the promoter of the race sure should have too. 

If anything, I'd say maybe spread everyone out a little more but that's difficult as the safety trucks park there in T4.

But building new walls and/or a wider pit road just to accommodate one race a year (potentially) makes absolutely no sense. 

The hot pit was always in the plan. There was always a break at 100, but, it was set up just like the Fonda 200, where you were welcome to pit whenever. A true red flag at lap 100 would've allowed anyone to take tires without penalty, which was never the plan. I actually was shocked more people didn't do what Friesen, Bachetti, Dippel, etc did and pit during that last caution so they'd cycle back out from of all the guys that were taking tires at lap 100. 

While I agree that the pit road was scary without having a wall and having so many guys right on top of each other, I liked the format. It added some additional strategy to the race, which is something I enjoy with the 200 lap races. 

And also, the Eastern States 200 and Super DIRT Week still do require a helmet and fire suit for the guys fueling the car. They also have a limit on how many people can cross the wall. Technically, this race doesn't require a live pit stop which I assume is why that rule wasn't mandated for the Port Royal 200, and it's definitely an expensive addition for the teams. Regardless, it was a wonderful event and as is the case with any first-time event, everyone will learn a few things and it'll be even better if it comes back in '21! 

• Like 4

Just to clear up what I meant, when I say "Hot Pit" in this particular instance, I mean actually doing a live pitstop as part of the race, like ESW or SDW. I'm well aware that all tracks have a Hot Pit you can come down to do a tire change if it's flat, or make an adjustment, etc. What I mean is a live pitroad with actual pit stops as part of the race itself. That is what Port is not setup for.

I'm not saying I don't enjoy the added strategy, actually it's one of the things that makes the long distance races fun. All I'm saying is that it should not have been allowed to work the way it did in this particular instance because the track is not setup to accommodate it in a safe manner.

If you move safety crew, tractors, etc from inside T4, which is certainly doable, bring in some Jersey barrier to make a wall separating the crews from the "pitroad" and run that wall around toward T3, then you can spread the crews out a bit and have a working "hot pit" to be utilized as was done on Saturday. I'd be all for that as it would introduce a measure of safety  and still allow for varying strategy plays.

• Like 3