Jump to content




Recommended Posts

  • Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We questioned the 25% all week. I do know that there were several people who only had pit passes, just as there are every year I've ever been there, getting into the stands. This has been an issue sin

The track build has begun!  

12 hours ago, Jack Brady said:

Does anyone have the points earned list that set up the A-Main last night? I'm trying to figure out how Bell started 4th after only passing 3 cars. Do you get any bonus points for winning your Heat? And if I understand (maybe I don't) it says combined passing points. So are the heat and the qualifiers pts combined? 

Thanks.

Here is the points chart.

https://www.facebook.com/ChiliBowlNationals/photos/a.162227817198064/3566482290105916/?type=3

Link to post
Share on other sites

How does the “draw” work for qualifying nights? Does the defending champion of the night automatically get to stay on the night each year?

I noticed a bunch of guys repeated this year for multiple years in a row on the same night.

is everything else random draw after that?

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, jumper12a said:

The greatest day in all of racing is finally here! Bring your appetite, we’re serving up a hearty helping of Alphabet Soup today!!

https://www.chilibowl.com/news/?i=89299&fbclid=IwAR2oEIpF6HA6jiRM01N0PLJuNOqCeqdKgQUdwF_az0quhsMF-EJAHT2iXIg

How many drivers do you see with a realistic chance of advancing through multiple mains?  I'm not familiar with a lot of the names, but Jason Mcdougal in the I was the one that stood out to me.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WheelsUpHammerDown10 said:

How does the “draw” work for qualifying nights? Does the defending champion of the night automatically get to stay on the night each year?

I noticed a bunch of guys repeated this year for multiple years in a row on the same night.

is everything else random draw after that?

When a driver/team fills out their entry form, there’s a space for the day you would like to race on. The CB staff does their best to accommodate the request.

Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Fulbrew said:

How many drivers do you see with a realistic chance of advancing through multiple mains?  I'm not familiar with a lot of the names, but Jason Mcdougal in the I was the one that stood out to me.  

There are several drivers who will have to make an alphabet soup run today. Justin Allgaier, Tony Bruce Jr, Dillon Welch & Anthony Macri to name a few. Macri is in the second M, TBJ is in the first K, Welch is in the second J, Allgaier is in the second I. Lineups at link below.

https://www.chilibowl.com/news/?i=89299

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, jumper12a said:

When a driver/team fills out their entry form, there’s a space for the day you would like to race on. The CB staff does their best to accommodate the request.

So theoretically you could try and pick and choose an “easier” night based on past history if people generally race the same nights.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I would think the decision on what night would be more where they think the track will be best. I'm sure they redo it every night but there is still going to be a difference in the track as more rubber is mixed in the surface compared to the fresh dirt of Monday to the much more mixed rubber and dirt of Friday. Maybe? Does that make a difference?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jack Brady said:

I would think the decision on what night would be more where they think the track will be best. I'm sure they redo it every night but there is still going to be a difference in the track as more rubber is mixed in the surface compared to the fresh dirt of Monday to the much more mixed rubber and dirt of Friday. Maybe? Does that make a difference?

There is rubber mixed in the surface on Monday because they ran the Tulsa Shootout just two weeks before and they had well over 1000 entries for that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Fulbrew said:

How many drivers do you see with a realistic chance of advancing through multiple mains?  I'm not familiar with a lot of the names, but Jason Mcdougal in the I was the one that stood out to me.  

JMac had an epic run going from the I-main up to a qualifying spot in the D-main before he was taken out on the last lap by Ryan Bernal. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, HighPlainsDrifter said:

JMac had an epic run going from the I-main up to a qualifying spot in the D-main before he was taken out on the last lap by Ryan Bernal. 

He was an obvious pick to make some noise based on the way he came through the field on his preliminary night.

On a side note, his day was an example of one of the inherent flaws in streaming coverage.  Even though his progress through the field was the story of the afternoon, he wasn't always on screen when he was making his biggest moves.  The cameras are obligated to spend more time in the front of the field than the back/middle. Can't fault Flo, just the way it is. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Made it home yesterday afternoon, had another fantastic CB Nats. Was a little different of course, due to the restrictions, but overall a great week of racing. We did get spoiled with the ample room around our seating area all week, which was sweet! Now I’m looking forward to Yung Money’s debut in the HMS 5. I believe he’s finally ready & in a position to take that series over.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, jumper12a said:

Made it home yesterday afternoon, had another fantastic CB Nats. Was a little different of course, due to the restrictions, but overall a great week of racing. We did get spoiled with the ample room around our seating area all week, which was sweet! Now I’m looking forward to Yung Money’s debut in the HMS 5. I believe he’s finally ready & in a position to take that series over.

Was it really only 25 percent capacity? On Flo and on MAV, especially as the week went on (Friday and Saturday) those grandstands looked like they had a good number of people in them.

Did people who would normally be in the pits and left to watch from there go and find seats for the A main? Just don't see how those grandstands were at 25 percent capacity from the pictures and video I saw. 

Also, that two-hour track prep session between the Bs and the A main was BRUTAL for those of us watching from home. I really hope they try and address that part of the show for the TV audience or at least MAVTV needs to come up with some better programming to get through that break.

I feel like every year the East Coast really gets the shaft on the timing of this thing. The feature not starting till almost 1am Eastern isn't going to to do much for your TV audience and brand exposure to keep them coming back or get new viewers. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WheelsUpHammerDown10 said:

Was it really only 25 percent capacity? On Flo and on MAV, especially as the week went on (Friday and Saturday) those grandstands looked like they had a good number of people in them.

Did people who would normally be in the pits and left to watch from there go and find seats for the A main? Just don't see how those grandstands were at 25 percent capacity from the pictures and video I saw. 

Also, that two-hour track prep session between the Bs and the A main was BRUTAL for those of us watching from home. I really hope they try and address that part of the show for the TV audience or at least MAVTV needs to come up with some better programming to get through that break.

I feel like every year the East Coast really gets the shaft on the timing of this thing. The feature not starting till almost 1am Eastern isn't going to to do much for your TV audience and brand exposure to keep them coming back or get new viewers. 

We questioned the 25% all week. I do know that there were several people who only had pit passes, just as there are every year I've ever been there, getting into the stands. This has been an issue since I've been attending (2004).

One issue with the tv broadcast is that they don't show the fans at home what is actually going on during the downtime/break between the B's & A. Is it too long? Absolutely! Has it been this way since I've been going? Yes! During the break, they do award presentations at the stage in the infield, they do driver intro's (obviously this can't be done prior to the C's & B's), they do track prep, etc..... The tv broadcast doesn't air these things. I believe if they did, people would understand better what is actually going on. But because they stick you with Dillner & others just yacking, it can get boring. I don't understand why they don't either show the pageantry taking place, or show you the A Mains from the week. The break can certainly be shortened, but the broadcast filler content could also be improved.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jumper12a said:

I don't understand why they don't either show the pageantry taking place, or show you the A Mains from the week. The break can certainly be shortened, but the broadcast filler content could also be improved.

I was wondering the same thing. Does it have to do with the rights to the broadcasts of the races? I was hoping they could review some of the alphabet soup. Maybe highlight some of the top movers throughout the day or the week. Show off the best passes or races to the finish line for either the wins or transfer spots. Can they not show those because Flo had the rights to them?

And if not, like you said, show the pageantry like the driver intros. Give a bio for each driver in the field as they get introduced. Put up graphics with their names, hometowns, owners, what series they typically race, accomplishments and race stats from the last year, any history they have at the chili bowl, etc. I think the more passionate race fans know the names of most of the drivers in the A main, but maybe that would help the casual fan who may only know of NASCAR, know more of the drivers than just CBell and Larson. And maybe they start to check out the other dirt racing series that these other guys typically run in. Like you said, it just seems like it can be improved. 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jumper12a said:

We questioned the 25% all week. I do know that there were several people who only had pit passes, just as there are every year I've ever been there, getting into the stands. This has been an issue since I've been attending (2004).

One issue with the tv broadcast is that they don't show the fans at home what is actually going on during the downtime/break between the B's & A. Is it too long? Absolutely! Has it been this way since I've been going? Yes! During the break, they do award presentations at the stage in the infield, they do driver intro's (obviously this can't be done prior to the C's & B's), they do track prep, etc..... The tv broadcast doesn't air these things. I believe if they did, people would understand better what is actually going on. But because they stick you with Dillner & others just yacking, it can get boring. I don't understand why they don't either show the pageantry taking place, or show you the A Mains from the week. The break can certainly be shortened, but the broadcast filler content could also be improved.

At the very least they should show the driver intros. Cut to the house sound and use that or something. I would have loved to have heard that part and got a feel for what the people there in the expo center experience.

Not sure on the rights aspect as you're alluding to, but definitely showing some highlights of the previous qualifying nights would be tremendous too, or some of the alphabet soup competition on Saturday.

I didn't watch the whole broadcast with sound on, but did the Mav broadcast even mention the McDougal story line? 

Do a feature story or interview Brian Walker, who literally eats, sleeps, and the breaths the Chili Bowl in all aspects covering it on Walkapedia all week. I just think there is so much more potential around this event if Mav put a little bit more effort into it.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, WheelsUpHammerDown10 said:

Was it really only 25 percent capacity? On Flo and on MAV, especially as the week went on (Friday and Saturday) those grandstands looked like they had a good number of people in them.

Did people who would normally be in the pits and left to watch from there go and find seats for the A main? Just don't see how those grandstands were at 25 percent capacity from the pictures and video I saw. 

Also, that two-hour track prep session between the Bs and the A main was BRUTAL for those of us watching from home. I really hope they try and address that part of the show for the TV audience or at least MAVTV needs to come up with some better programming to get through that break.

I feel like every year the East Coast really gets the shaft on the timing of this thing. The feature not starting till almost 1am Eastern isn't going to to do much for your TV audience and brand exposure to keep them coming back or get new viewers. 

If you think the two hour break between the B and A mains is brutal watching from home you should be there from the start of the day when they start racing at 10:00 AM. It turns into a 13 hour show. I’ve done it every year I have gone so far and keep returning and doing it because it is an awesome week of racing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, RJO said:

If you think the two hour break between the B and A mains is brutal watching from home you should be there from the start of the day when they start racing at 10:00 AM. It turns into a 13 hour show. I’ve done it every year I have gone so far and keep returning and doing it because it is an awesome week of racing.

I have never been to the Chili Bowl.   However.......

One thing I have noticed watching racing events from home.  Down time for whatever the reason(s),  is MUCH MORE brutal at home than it is at the track.  I almost always fall asleep watching live events from home. Or change channels.  I end up watching the replay.  It has gotten so bad that I sometimes just wait for the replay.   Fast forward  through the breaks.   👍

Never have I fallen asleep at a track during the event.    Nor do I go elsewhere

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, RJO said:

If you think the two hour break between the B and A mains is brutal watching from home you should be there from the start of the day when they start racing at 10:00 AM. It turns into a 13 hour show. I’ve done it every year I have gone so far and keep returning and doing it because it is an awesome week of racing.

I watched a fair amount of Saturday’s racing. At least there was pretty good periods of action for much of the day with racing and during the break you could at least get up and go walk the pits right?

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, WheelsUpHammerDown10 said:

I watched a fair amount of Saturday’s racing. At least there was pretty good periods of action for much of the day with racing and during the break you could at least get up and go walk the pits right?

If you have a pit pass, yes you can walk around the pit area. This year was much better, but normally on Saturday, I stay away from the pits because it’s a mob scene. You can’t move!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, WheelsUpHammerDown10 said:

I watched a fair amount of Saturday’s racing. At least there was pretty good periods of action for much of the day with racing and during the break you could at least get up and go walk the pits right?

You wouldn’t believe the amount of people that set up chairs in the pit area and sit and watch the racing on the jumbo trons they have mounted on the rear of the grandstand.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Question about these cars....

I live near a track that runs a lot of cars that look like go cars with wings for several age groups.   They also run what they call 600's (both wing and non wing).  How do these 600's compare to the cars that run the Chili Bowl?

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ric said:

How do these 600's compare to the cars that run the Chili Bowl?

600's are Micro Sprints which are about 3/4 the size of a Midget like they run at the Chili Bowl.  Micro Sprints use motorcycle engines whereas Midgets use much bigger 4 cylinders making 300-400 HP.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, matt_s86 said:

600's are Micro Sprints which are about 3/4 the size of a Midget like they run at the Chili Bowl.  Micro Sprints use motorcycle engines whereas Midgets use much bigger 4 cylinders making 300-400 HP.

Thank you.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Ric said:

Question about these cars....

I live near a track that runs a lot of cars that look like go cars with wings for several age groups.   They also run what they call 600's (both wing and non wing).  How do these 600's compare to the cars that run the Chili Bowl?

 

 

And the go karts with wings could be Outlaw Karts.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.
















×
×
  • Create New...