Jump to content



Recommended Posts

If you don't like it, don't watch it hahahaha, just getting that out of the way for those that hate watching others play a "video game." hahahha

 

But if you enjoy it, here is a link to info about our new series for the Big-Block Modifieds: https://www.dirttrackdigest.com/iracing/2020/12/02/dirt-track-digest-isca-big-block-modified-iracing-league-presented-by-billy-whittaker-cars-trux-kicks-off-december-16/

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, MikeMallett said:

If you don't like it, don't watch it hahahaha, just getting that out of the way for those that hate watching others play a "video game." hahahha

 

But if you enjoy it, here is a link to info about our new series for the Big-Block Modifieds: https://www.dirttrackdigest.com/iracing/2020/12/02/dirt-track-digest-isca-big-block-modified-iracing-league-presented-by-billy-whittaker-cars-trux-kicks-off-december-16/

Is it open tire rule or do I have to buy a whole bunch of A/Rs for this? (asking for a friend)

  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, premiumdiesel said:

Is there a point fund ? Also, do you need VP or Sunoco and can I use a 4-link in this series ? 

Yes to a point fund. 

There will be no further tech from there other than to have it roll across the scales and confirm that "Yes" it is a modified... Other than that, have at it... lol 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Serious question. What do I need to get involved in this computer wise? Will I need a desktop or playstation, then i guess steering wheel etc. 

I remember watching the Nascar guys doing this and some looked like they had 50K in set up, I have limited funds so what would be least cost to get in and learn?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thunder,

Not to discourage you but iracing can be very expensive. For 1 it is a subscription service so you pay monthly, you never own the game. Right now you could try it for $6.50 for the first month or get a 1-year membership for $55. With that I think you will get 3 dirt tracks, street stocks, ump mods, and legends included as free content.

Additional tracks and cars are mostly $12 each, so if you wanted to race sprint cars, late models, and modifieds it would be an addition $36 for those cars, plus $84 for the 9 additional dirt tracks. These are a one time purchase, once you buy them you can use them as long as your membership is active. They do have programs where you get credits for content every quarter and you get discounts as as you own more content but the initial investment is high.

For an affordable but decent wheel and pedal set I would recommend a logitech G29 or G920 which runs about $240 new. You could likely find a used one for less.

You will also need a desktop computer with a graphics card. How expensive of a computer you need will depend on how you want to play. You could play on a single 1080p 60hz monitor with a relatively cheap gaming computer, but if you wanted a 3 monitor setup, higher resolutions or framerates, or a VR headset you would need a much more expensive computer. You can see what iracing recommends here: https://www.iracing.com/membership/system-requirements/

Also at the moment dirt racing is online only, if you don't have high speed internet you will not have a good experience.

If you are OK with those types of costs I would be glad to help answer any other questions. For me the service is worth it as it is by far the best dirt sim you can play, but I realize a lot of people may not be willing to invest $1k between the game and hardware just to get started with a basic setup.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ThunderSpeed78 said:

Serious question. What do I need to get involved in this computer wise? Will I need a desktop or playstation, then i guess steering wheel etc. 

I remember watching the Nascar guys doing this and some looked like they had 50K in set up, I have limited funds so what would be least cost to get in and learn?

 

You will need a computer, Wheel, Monitor and the software to play the game. There are many options, The computer is a very important part and also expensive. The game has pretty good graphics and in order to have them turned up you will need a decent computer with good parts to handle it. (i will post a link to the computer specs to run it)  anything less than the minimum specs the game will be very laggy and not run smooth. Monitor can be a standard monitor or even a TV with a HDMI (as long as you computer has HDMI out. The wheel needs to be a PC compatible wheel. I bought mine used online, There are lots of Buy/Sell forums where you can get good deals on used stuff. Its definitely alot of fun, I race with a good group of guys a few times a week and we have a blast. The link below has lots of useful information on what you would need to get started 

https://www.iracing.com/membership/system-requirements/

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/3/2020 at 4:28 PM, ThunderSpeed78 said:

Serious question. What do I need to get involved in this computer wise? Will I need a desktop or playstation, then i guess steering wheel etc. 

I remember watching the Nascar guys doing this and some looked like they had 50K in set up, I have limited funds so what would be least cost to get in and learn?

 

A cheaper option is the new Tony Stewart all-american racing game -- you need a PlayStation 4 or whatever the current X-Box is. I have seen in Wal-Mart both games bundled for $30-40 (1 game has Big Block Modifieds, Street Stocks and Legends, the other game has 410 Sprints, 305 Springs and Midgets I think). The games have on-line leagues. You can also buy and download a dirt Late Model add-on.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BillSmith said:

A cheaper option is the new Tony Stewart all-american racing game -- you need a PlayStation 4 or whatever the current X-Box is. I have seen in Wal-Mart both games bundled for $30-40 (1 game has Big Block Modifieds, Street Stocks and Legends, the other game has 410 Sprints, 305 Springs and Midgets I think). The games have on-line leagues. You can also buy and download a dirt Late Model add-on.

It’s another terrible attempt at a dirt racing game. Completely dumbfounded as to how woo sprint cars is still the best dirt racing game for a console by far. It came out In 2002 I believe for PS2 and is still way better than any game since besides those on a PC. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

For those wondering the Big Blocks and Small Block are a absolute blast. Every real driver I talk to say they nailed it. The last time I raced a real big block was 2015 so its been awhile for me LOL. The custom skins you can make for them are awesome too, I do all the graphics on our real racecars so I had all the files that were needed to re-create the real cars. I even did my one and only feature win sportsman car from 2006 LOL

IMG_8982.jpg

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, rpm72x said:

It’s another terrible attempt at a dirt racing game. Completely dumbfounded as to how woo sprint cars is still the best dirt racing game for a console by far. It came out In 2002 I believe for PS2 and is still way better than any game since besides those on a PC. 

Well I'll be damned....you're an expert on video games, too!

  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, John Williams said:

Well I'll be damned....you're an expert on video games, too!

Yea come to think of it, I guess I am. Although it doesn’t take an expert to play some video games and decide whether they are awful or not. You only need to know a little about dirt racing. In your case.....it could be a bit difficult to decipher, so I’ll save you the attempt and tell you. Tony Stewart’s big block racing game sucks. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know how people who are addicted to iracing can justify the expenses in getting started. Seriously... by the the time you get a worthy computer, the wheel and pedals, the subscription, the tracks and a decent internet service you've spent upwards of $3,000. You could almost race a real hobby stock for that money.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BobMiller said:

I don't know how people who are addicted to iracing can justify the expenses in getting started. Seriously... by the the time you get a worthy computer, the wheel and pedals, the subscription, the tracks and a decent internet service you've spent upwards of $3,000. You could almost race a real hobby stock for that money.

Well at least in iRacing when someone wads your car up all you have to do is press the reset button. You don't have to spend your own $300 to fix it. Also you can get as many races in as you want in a week. Also once you spend that upfront money you're not buying tires, fuel, pit passes every time you race.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Speshock said:

Well at least in iRacing when someone wads your car up all you have to do is press the reset button. You don't have to spend your own $300 to fix it. Also you can get as many races in as you want in a week. Also once you spend that upfront money you're not buying tires, fuel, pit passes every time you race.

 plus the hauler never needs fuel and the ride home after the race is less than 5 minutes.... lol  

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Everyone wishes they could run real Big Block Mods. But I can spend $3000 and have a nice set up to race every night. Compared to $100,000 a year to have a competitive car and hopefully be lucky not to destroy the car just trying to drive the car during hot laps. 

Yes during the racing season I will still be watching every race I can. But I still get a thrill racing online. I have iRacing account, but I haven't started racing yet do to income concerns this year. I still love racing DTR 2 and spend time on it. Though I know that it is nothing like real racing. It's still a blast for me, especially since its so open source you can crank up the difficulty and add almost any time of cars from other games to it.

And I'm probably one of the few, but I kind of liked watching the iRacing this year. Not any where close to watching real racing. But hell even NASCAR was more exciting on online then in real life.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.















×
×
  • Create New...