• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Looks like Utica Rome is going to be turned into a football stadium. 🙉🙊🙈

Utica Rome is 110 miles from brewerton?

see howie on concession pricing. 

14 hours ago, WMR Racing said:

So what’s up with Utica. I see Brett Deyo was asked about helping with promotion.  Is Gene Cole back at the track or is Kim and Bill still running the track?  Rumors have been  running around but never know what’s true. 

Track needs break from Rain Gods not promoters 

• Like 1

Sunday rain in the Mohawk Valley has been common for at least 60 years that I know of...change U-R to Thursday nites....People are chomping at the bit for racing each week & most nowadays get paid on Thursday which makes it feasible

Whoever is in charge at Utica, some things need to be addressed to return the track to profitability. Number 1 is run a tight show that is how Bub Benway and Eric Kingsley made huge money at the track, 4 divisions 2 and half hour show. Number 2 fix the bleachers as the last time I was there I about fell through at least 10 boards that were rotted away and the lack of lighting you couldn't see where the bad boards were. Number 3 lower concessions prices, it doesn't take a genius to figure out the profit margin at the concession stand at Utica, it's nearly 225% price markup, that's crazy. Fourth and finally I believe new blood is needed in the running the track.

Sunday night racing hasn’t been profitable in years. Weedsport struggled for quite some time before closing and re-opening as specials only, Utica hasn’t been the same since the early 2000s with small blocks. Too expensive to race or go to the races 3 nights in a row. The place had a large contingent of “Utica” family type race teams that had stayed for years, when it turned more into a dirt big block track it took a quick downturn and hasn’t really come back. 

• Like 1

I think local race tracks need to look at minor league baseball when it comes to concessions. Great food at reasonable prices. 

You also have to make the show entertaining when you don't have cars on the track. Think more family oriented and getting kids involved.

Glen didn't put much money in to Weedsport. There were no other tracks in the area who ran big blocks on Sundays. But it still had great racing, until he made it in to that piece of crap banked D shape. That track was so horrible at times. The surface ate right rears like a fat kid with chocolate. 

5 hours ago, jrkenn said:

Whoever is in charge at Utica, some things need to be addressed to return the track to profitability. Number 1 is run a tight show that is how Bub Benway and Eric Kingsley made huge money at the track, 4 divisions 2 and half hour show. Number 2 fix the bleachers as the last time I was there I about fell through at least 10 boards that were rotted away and the lack of lighting you couldn't see where the bad boards were. Number 3 lower concessions prices, it doesn't take a genius to figure out the profit margin at the concession stand at Utica, it's nearly 225% price markup, that's crazy. Fourth and finally I believe new blood is needed in the running the track.

Many years back when Gene Cole had the track it was my Sunday night track to go to and it was a four hour ride one way for me. I attended 13 shows there one year because most of the shows the mods were finished by 9:00 or 10:00 and I would be out and on the road headed home. I will say that the past few years they have not had any luck with the weather. Who ever runs it let’s hope they can get the place turned around.

10 hours ago, racer80 said:

Sunday rain in the Mohawk Valley has been common for at least 60 years that I know of...change U-R to Thursday nites....People are chomping at the bit for racing each week & most nowadays get paid on Thursday which makes it feasible

Thursday nights have worked for Thunder Road in Barre, Vermont for a long long time.

1 hour ago, premiumdiesel said:

see howie on concession pricing. 

and actual good food.

• Like 2
On 12/25/2020 at 3:40 PM, rpm72x said:

Sunday night racing hasn’t been profitable in years. Weedsport struggled for quite some time before closing and re-opening as specials only, Utica hasn’t been the same since the early 2000s with small blocks. Too expensive to race or go to the races 3 nights in a row. The place had a large contingent of “Utica” family type race teams that had stayed for years, when it turned more into a dirt big block track it took a quick downturn and hasn’t really come back. 

Cornwall Speedway has been running on Sunday nights for 50 yrs..no problem here

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Stewyfan44 said:

I have heard that.....not sure why it works there but everyplace down here seems to struggle on sundays. I think the lack of consistency among the tracks in NY is another huge problem for Sunday’s. Your either the 3rd option on the weekend if you adopt the same rulebook as most tracks, or your kind of on an island because no other tracks nearby implement the same rules. I don’t know if there are enough modified teams to go around anymore....I think the 358 deal will continue to grow, but I’m not sure there will be enough teams to ever fill out fields 3 nights a week. Friday and Saturday are far more popular for teams to go race than sundays, so Sunday tracks really have to offer more than the others and I don’t see that happening. 

• Like 1

The good or bad running of any RACETRACK is all about promotion !!!!!   Yes, weather hit  UR pretty bad last couple of years but thats not the norm there..I worked at UR under Mr. Cole for some years and we always had what seemed to me anyway very good seasons...Take care of your RACETEAMS and your FANS and you will do just fine !!!!! 

• Like 2

i don't think the fan base is there like it used to be. remember back utica-rome was the place to be. but if any of you remember once griffis air force base closed down there went the money part of which familys once had. that area was hit hard money wise and still is. i can remember that place would not have many people until  about a half hr. before races started and boom the parking lot was full right to rt.5 by 6:00 old saying in by 6 out by 9 was the norm. wish them better luck 2021.

• Like 2
On 12/25/2020 at 3:28 PM, jrkenn said:

Not sure if you are talking about the same Speedway that is located on Rt 5 in Vernon. Bleachers have been in great shape for the last couple of seasons I have been there and the lighting has not gotten any complaints. The entire facility is one of the cleanest around. Track is wide and you dont wad up your car if you get tangled up with anybody in the turns. Concessions could be improved in my opinion. Its pretty tough to run a successful race track when it rains on race day every 2 out of 3 Sundays for the last 3 years. Plus the owners are very nice people and have put in countless hours in trying to make the place successful. I once had a complaint and the owner reached out to me to hear what it was because he wanted to address it if there was a problem.  Good weather will help them greatly.

• Like 1

They have had no luck at all, with the weather for 3 years. The track for me is to big for Sunday night racing. With a Sunday track your car count will start out good and then start to decline by mid-summer. On a big track like Utica-Rome, a small field does not put on a good show. If they want to race on Sundays, make the track shorter where a smaller field can still put on good racing. And run an open track, tires-fuel-engines.😎.   

4 hours ago, Towman said:

The good or bad running of any RACETRACK is all about promotion !!!!!   Yes, weather hit  UR pretty bad last couple of years but thats not the norm there..I worked at UR under Mr. Cole for some years and we always had what seemed to me anyway very good seasons...Take care of your RACETEAMS and your FANS and you will do just fine !!!!! 

I would disagree with you as what is the norm.  Excluding last year they ran off the following number of events during the previous four years:  7, 8, 11 & 12.  They normally scheduled 20 events or so each season. So bad weather has been the norm.

16 hours ago, Stewyfan44 said:

Being right on the 401 really helps IMO. Centrally located so it pulls from northern NY, western Quebec and Eastern Ontario all the way to Kingston. It’s an easy drive for all the above. Facilities have been well kept for years. Keep in mind Corwall, the city where the speedway is located boasts a population +/- 40,000 people and there is really no other sporting attractions now that the Royals, Aces and Comets have all left town. 

But mostly, and people don’t want to talk about it, the track benefited from smuggling. There was/is a lot of money in the area and guys had/have cash to burn. The modified division was twice the size 10-15 years ago at the height of illicit activity. I don’t know that any other dirt track so greatly relied on the “underworld” and so heavily benefited from it. 

• Like 2
5 hours ago, JohnyC said:

Being right on the 401 really helps IMO. Centrally located so it pulls from northern NY, western Quebec and Eastern Ontario all the way to Kingston. It’s an easy drive for all the above. Facilities have been well kept for years. Keep in mind Corwall, the city where the speedway is located boasts a population +/- 40,000 people and there is really no other sporting attractions now that the Royals, Aces and Comets have all left town. 

But mostly, and people don’t want to talk about it, the track benefited from smuggling. There was/is a lot of money in the area and guys had/have cash to burn. The modified division was twice the size 10-15 years ago at the height of illicit activity. I don’t know that any other dirt track so greatly relied on the “underworld” and so heavily benefited from it. 

You make a lot of valid points,their has always been a lot of cash floating around.But to be fair great ownership and great promoting go along way also.Its also a huge family thing in the community, it's just the place to be on sunday night.Big races have a lot of buzz.

11 hours ago, Stewyfan44 said:

You make a lot of valid points,their has always been a lot of cash floating around.But to be fair great ownership and great promoting go along way also.Its also a huge family thing in the community, it's just the place to be on sunday night.Big races have a lot of buzz.

No question. I tip my hat to the owners and operators over the 30 years I’ve visited the place. How many other owners can pack the house with 5,000 fans while asking $50 for a general admission ticket? Cornwall can and does. That’s partly ownership and promotion and partly a market with huge cash balances. 

I think the weather has definitely been a factor.  I think they should also try a 4 cyl./Enduro type class to try and bring more cars in.  I ran the New Years Enduro last year and loved it.  If they had a 4 cyl. class I would get a car to run.  

Whatever happens, I hope the track remains open.  I go every Sunday and absolutely love the place.

• Like 1

I’ve also noticed that U-R isn’t on the ESS schedule either. This I find strange because Utica has been a staple on the ESS tour for as long as I can remember. Meanwhile Weedsport has all but 2 of the Sunday races, with Cornwall and the Ridge having the others. I’ll always have a special place in my heart for this track. We never missed a Sunday night as a kid, and I’ve been lucky enough to see some incredible racing there. Haven’t been in a few years because of the distance on a work night but I hope they have nothing but good fortune this year. Bill and Kim are good people and they deserve it.